Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: Back in Black (and Green)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal: Back in Black (and Green)

In episode 25 of #EverydayEternal, Sam Craven (me), Julian Knab (sJulian23), and Matt Pavlic (sdematt), talk recent tournament results across both Vintage and Legacy. Matt and Julian regale with recent tournament results in each format. Julian tells us about his win at Prague Eternal, and Matt talks about why winning Feels So Good.

(Duration: 1:20:31 — 73.7MB)

0:00:20 Julian’s experience with BUG Tempo at Prague Eternal
    0:07:28 Recent Vintage results: NYSE and Vintage Dailies
    0:25:15 Sanctioned Vintage at #GPNJ, The Mana Drain Open announced
    0:30:35 Matt’s near-miss with Junk at #SCGPORT
    0:47:55 Interesting recent results: Burn, Elves, and a 13 year old Top 4ing
    1:08:29 Plays of the Week and outro

Links:

Julian's play of the week
    [ur=http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?28156-GP-New-Jersey&p=818625&viewfull=1#post818625]Ben Bleiweiss confirms sanctioned vintage at GPNJ[/url]
    GPNJ Playmat
    The Mana Drain Open 16 Annoucement

Decklists:

BUG Tempo, by Michael Bonde
    Business (37)
    4 Force of Will
    3 Mental Misstep
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Steel Sabotage
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Null Rod
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Time Walk
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Trygon Predator
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    Mana Sources (22)
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Wasteland
    Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Yixlid Jailer
    2 Darkblast
    2 Dismember
    2 Nature’s Claim
    2 Energy Flux
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Mental Misstep

4C Junk, by Matt Pavlic
    Business (38)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    3 Sylvan Library
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Green Sun’s Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    Mana Sources (23)
    1 Windswept Heath
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    2 Savannah
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Wasteland
    Sideboard (15)
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Engineered Explosives

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: Back in Black (and Green)

appreciate all of your effort.

This episode seems to have more awkward silence than before.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Your Blue Junk deck is missing Chokes yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially everyone's comments on the kid who top 8'ed SCG Portland with Burn - clearly, he's doing something right that many other Burn players aren't.

Hey oh,
    Good cast again fellows, I echo the comment earlier about dead air, guessing that had to do with Skype lag?

Sam - You commented the playmat for NJ is going to be all the value, what value do you think?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

As others said some odd silences in the second half. There was just enough Vintage coverage for a non-vintage player like myself to find it interesting and not get board

I found your talk of shuffling and how to draw interesting. I play left-handed so always have the deck on my left anyway; that way I draw and can write down life-totals with the same hand. Like Matt if people are going to flash cards at me when they shuffle then I am more than happy with a free probe at there deck!
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Another great podcast guys

Had a friend in the car while listening to it and i'm pretty sure i have him hooked now as well.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_NZ View Post
    Hey oh,
    Good cast again fellows, I echo the comment earlier about dead air, guessing that had to do with Skype lag?
    Honestly, I just forgot to run the silence cutter >_<

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_NZ View Post
    Sam - You commented the playmat for NJ is going to be all the value, what value do you think?
    Hard to say. The prices on Boston's MMA Dark Confidant map should be a good indicator. Looking at the average sale cost of some of the other big event playmats:

Grand Prix Vegas (MMA Sword of Fire and Ice) - $49.20
    Grand Prix Richmond (Eternal Witness) - $39.20
    Eternal Weekdn (MMA Tarmogoyf) - $122.33

GPNJ will likely have more players than Eternal Weekend did and fewer than Richmond but with an even more desirable mat. The fact that everyone who registers will get one will bring down the cost a lot. I'm guessing $50-60 short term with basically no ceiling long term
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks for another great cast

One thing I missed, though, was any mention of the Legacy portion of Prague Eternal. Especially as a member of the cast was actually there. Other than that, all thumbs up!
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Any topics y'all want us to cover on the next cast? We'll be recording soon.

-Matt

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

It might be too much to ask, but a longer cast would be awesome.

So far as content, what you guys are doing is great. The plays of the week, the tournament reports, pretty much everything.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe a state of legacy type of thing? For example, whether or not you think it is healthy and fun. Also how about a sweet WB Torpor Orb/Hushwing Griffin Dreadnought list? :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Don't know about Oath. I always liked it before I got introduced to BUG Fish, which has a great matchup against both Oath and Dredge. You make up for MUD in the sideboard and only have something like Gushbond as what feels like an outright negative matchup. Of course, I don't play my ~50 matches/week like I do in Legacy and my opinion is just one of an "outsider" to the format. But thus far, the way I look at Vintage has been quite profitable for me lately after all.

Btw, thanks to everyone replying. It's really awesome to get feedback on every episode. Very often I also run into people at tournaments (both paper as well as MODO) who tell me how much/why they like Everday Eternal. It's really cool to hear this and provides a lot of motivation - on top of the general enjoyment of doing ti :-)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I really enjoyed the Vintage discussion, as I am a Vintage player at heart.

I don't believe that there is a "best" Vintage deck, but certainly I would say that Forgemaster Shops (with Cavern of Souls) might be the best positioned at this very moment (see Keith Seals' winning list from the latest NYSE Open). BUG Fish is very good for the European metagame for some reason, where things like Blue Angels or RUG Delver seem better in the American meta. Online I don't really know, since I only play paper.

Oath is always strong, but lately people have been more prepared to fight it. Be weary of playing against things like Landstill, as properly built and played, their Oath matchup is very good.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Very enjoyable podcast. I was thrilled that there was more vintage discussion as most of the time I get to play competitive magic, it ends up being vintage.

I'd love for there to be more vintage discussion in the future, maybe with some well known vintage players in the US like Tom Dixon, Brian Kelly, or Stephen menendian. But I can obviously understand that may not be feasible. Maybe leading up to eternal weekend which I'm sure to go to.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Is it stupid of me to say that I liked all the minutiae of tourney magic you guys discussed? Like which side you put your deck and which hand you draw with and that stuff.

You guys could also talk about MTG nerd "fashion" in regards to playmats, sleeve choices, dice, life counters/note pads, and all that kinda stuff. I feel like I have a pretty refined taste about all that and it's just interesting to hear other perspectives.

I could see how all of that might be dreadfully boring to some people, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

90% of my card selection is based around the aesthetics of the cards I own. I won't play something if I don't have it in some arcane tongue. It even bothers me now to play cards that aren't signed by artists who are still alive. Even cards by dead artists, it bothers me I haven't found an appropriate celebrity to sign them.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I really enjoyed the Vintage discussion, as I am a Vintage player at heart.
    I feel the same way. I'm so excited about vintage online if only because it means I get to see and play more vintage!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlantz View Post
    I'd love for there to be more vintage discussion in the future, maybe with some well known vintage players in the US like Tom Dixon, Brian Kelly, or Stephen menendian. But I can obviously understand that may not be feasible. Maybe leading up to eternal weekend which I'm sure to go to.
    Is the founder of the Obrien school of magic not good enough for you!? :P

But yes, I would totally love to have some of the other big names in vintage on the cast. If I end up making it to eternal weekend, I'll almost certainly be trying to snag a couple people to talk to me/us.

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Is it stupid of me to say that I liked all the minutiae of tourney magic you guys discussed? Like which side you put your deck and which hand you draw with and that stuff.
    Not stupid at all; useful feedback. Now we know that I don't need those part short. Next episode: one hour discussion on why lands over creatures is strictly better!

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Next episode: one hour discussion on why lands over creatures is strictly better!
    Strictly better... at looking pretentious and sowing confusion! :)

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Next episode: one hour discussion on why lands over creatures is strictly better!
    You make me sad.

When I see people doing Lands over Creatures, I want to spread my permanents all over the board in a 'confusing for my opponent as possible' manner.

My Sylvan Library in the top center of my mat, my Dark Confidant hiding behind my library, the Jitte that's attached to it a good 3 feet to the left of it, my graveyard right next to my lands, a random wasteland hiding off in the lower right corner of my mat...

EDIT: I don't actually do that because I don't want to be a 100% a-hole, but I always think about doing it...

Thread Information