Thread: 6th with Not Quite Maverick @ flgs

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

6th with Not Quite Maverick @ flgs

Yesterday here was a Legacy tournament in one local gaming store. Bored with blue and decided to make this a last farewell with my non-blue, I took a Maverick for the tourney. The build is a bit unusual, though:

I made a last second chance when I cut one Eternal Dragon for a third Armageddon, upped the land count by Krosan Verge, thrown in one LftL and I moved Armadillo Cloak into sb. Oh, speaking of sb:

1 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Pithing Needle (DRS, Lili/JTMS, Top, Vial)
    4 Orim's Chant (combo, but this should have been Glowrider/True Believer)
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Disenchant
    1 Reprisal (white-boardered 6ED, but yeah, Goyfs exist)
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Armadillo Cloak
    1 Worship

R1, DnT
    g1: I completely smashed him after Masticore supported by Wayfarer ate is team, Exalted Angel moved me into safe numbers and Terravore finished him in one swing.
    g2: An interesting game in which he had those fancy Jitte and StP cards while I had nothing.
    g3: A thing to remember: some turns deeper in game3 I blocked his jitted Thalia with my Wayfarer and his SFM with a small Werebear and the dude said something like "so all your guys die, I got two counters", shortcutting like gorillion interactions into one sentence without even taking care of me and any possible tricks I could have had up my sleeve, like say you know blocking Thalia with Wayfarer and let him die to fs, then cycle Tranquil Thicket of which the guy knew to dredge LftL to have gy:7 to make WB big enough to kill SFM while saving the arktanthrop from Jitte's double -1/-1 effect. But why care, just simply say "all your guys die, I got two counters" and be done with the thing. So I said to the guy "I'd rather play Magic", and then I let him kill WWF, in resp to Jitte trigger I cycled and dredged, made WB big, killed SFM, etc. you know stuff.
    But turns later my Cloaked WB runned into fray to save the game and this time it was me who made a shortcut saying "take four, gain four" but the dude simply said "I'd rather play Magic" and vialed in the only card in his hand and the only card that mattered, Mirran Crusader. Ok, so it was definitely the same situation and I really deserved it, because skipping half a dozen my interactions (that he'd definitely should have anticipated; he knew of the cycling land I got in hand, he saw the LftL in gy, he should have understood that there must be a reason why I thrown 1/1 WB in front of 1/2 SFM, etc.) is definitely the same as me attacking into empty board and shrotcutting it to "take four, gain four".
    I lost g3 in turns. Dude said some bullshit about how his deck this and that and how he's new to DnT like that was what matterd... shit, it wasn't about being new to DnT, it was about completely ignoring me and my cards like if I'm just some random weirdo sitting there twiddling his dick while he goldfishes all over the table. I need to admit that the guy was lucky he didn't ended with a few teeth less, and I'm like totally fed up with MtG players.
    Loss 0:1

I considered dropping, but then again this was the last time I'll play the cards, and more importantlyy it started to rain, so I remained for another round.

R2, Junk
    g1: I got double StP for DRs and Bob, while the guy killed my two BoPs with decays. Fortunately I got myself from manascrew and flied over his Scooze, Bob and Goyf with a pair of Enforcers. He didn't realize he may simply shrink my gy to stop the big nasty human nomad mystics, but I'm fine witha win.
    g2: I started with Wayfarer, he play EE, Nihil Spielbomb and Liliana. I played Needle naming EE, then I played some more dudes into it, as I had nothing else to play, needed to get outof manascrew (and circumvent Liliana), etc. Lately he killed Needle, cleared the board and sit on Lili withut activating her because dat hand, 'twas strong. I geddoned away lands, drawn my one-of LftL and proceeded to win with a Terravore.
    Win, 1:1

R3, budget UR Delver (no Stifles, Wastes and Submerges)
    g1: he won with Lalamancer
    g2: I won with Masticore
    g3: we wnet to turns when I had a kill on the ground (a 6/6 Terravore... btw, it sucked he didn't play Wastes), but needed one more turn. There was a crowd around us and they cheered me for playing this pile, they had good laugh (in a good sense of word) of my deck-building choices, they were thrilled when I slowly searched the deck while fetching so that they may see the beauty of fully Japanese Terrageddon, and they went crazy when they noticed I sb-ed Worship. But ofcourse, there's no flower beautiful enough for slugs to not eat it, and of course some prick commented it like "so this is what we all wait for" like if his time matters more than ours.
    Fuck MtG players. Except for my opponent, who in a case of outstanding generosity conceded to me saying that I deserved the win and my deck is really nice. Thanks man! It was a pleasure to play against you and I hope you'll get your Submerges asap!
    Win, 2:1

R4, GBW Deathblade
    g1: blah blah triple Wasteland blah blah
    g2: I thought I'll win with a 7/7 Terravore, but then I put a Cloak on it as my opponent missed any removal. She thrown B-skull in front of Vore to buy a turn, then she got a Lili but still needed something else for my other critters. Turn before she completely stabilized (after she killed some small man and let me sacrifice the second Vore), I drawn the Best Giant Growth Ever:

I attacked with 20/20 lifelink double trample Terravore into tapped lands and untapped Bob. Unsurprisingly, I won this game.
    g3: deck shat at me and I lost.
    Loss, 2:2

Final score 2:2

Props: the deck, some Magic players
    slops: the deck, some Magic players

A note: If I may have Three Wishes related to MtG, then I'd ask for this:
    1) Make it somehow that they printed LftL in Invasion
    2) Make it somehow that they printed KotR in Judgement
    3) Make it somehow that hey printed Path to Exile in Legions
    4) Make it somehow that they printed Needle in old frame.
    Yeah. Those are four wishes. Take four, gain four, all your guys are belong to us.

/greenwhite

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Re: 6th with Not Quite Maverick @ flgs

This is either a work of pure insanity or a work of pure genius. I'm not sure which. But I think I like it either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Amazing! I soak my carpet with tears a bit ROFLing all around in the end, truely a work of a genius, please don't sell this beauty!!!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Amazing! I soak my carpet with tears a bit ROFLing all around in the end, truely a work of a genius, please don't sell this beauty!!!
    Ok, maybe I'll keep it and do some more troll job from time to time.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Great report and beautiful deck. +1 for keeping it.

We have one of those players like you played in Round 1 at my lgs. Always tries to shortcut everything you do and make you end your turn before you're done. Quite annoying.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Sign from above: I've met one of those friends that formed our old casual group. Seems like there will be some kind of Magic. As this deck began as a metabreaker for our regrouping, I'll keep it.
    Sadly, it really needs some new-frame cards to be competitititive, at least PtE and maybe KotR.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Werebear, exalted angel, terravore, mystic enforcer....

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Yesterday here was a Legacy tournament in one local gaming store. Bored with blue and decided to make this a last farewell with my non-blue, I took a Maverick for the tourney. The build is a bit unusual, though:

I made a last second chance when I cut one Eternal Dragon for a third Armageddon, upped the land count by Krosan Verge, thrown in one LftL and I moved Armadillo Cloak into sb. Oh, speaking of sb:

1 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Pithing Needle (DRS, Lili/JTMS, Top, Vial)
    4 Orim's Chant (combo, but this should have been Glowrider/True Believer)
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Disenchant
    1 Reprisal (white-boardered 6ED, but yeah, Goyfs exist)
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Armadillo Cloak
    1 Worship

R1, DnT
    g1: I completely smashed him after Masticore supported by Wayfarer ate is team, Exalted Angel moved me into safe numbers and Terravore finished him in one swing.
    g2: An interesting game in which he had those fancy Jitte and StP cards while I had nothing.
    g3: A thing to remember: some turns deeper in game3 I blocked his jitted Thalia with my Wayfarer and his SFM with a small Werebear and the dude said something like "so all your guys die, I got two counters", shortcutting like gorillion interactions into one sentence without even taking care of me and any possible tricks I could have had up my sleeve, like say you know blocking Thalia with Wayfarer and let him die to fs, then cycle Tranquil Thicket of which the guy knew to dredge LftL to have gy:7 to make WB big enough to kill SFM while saving the arktanthrop from Jitte's double -1/-1 effect. But why care, just simply say "all your guys die, I got two counters" and be done with the thing. So I said to the guy "I'd rather play Magic", and then I let him kill WWF, in resp to Jitte trigger I cycled and dredged, made WB big, killed SFM, etc. you know stuff.
    But turns later my Cloaked WB runned into fray to save the game and this time it was me who made a shortcut saying "take four, gain four" but the dude simply said "I'd rather play Magic" and vialed in the only card in his hand and the only card that mattered, Mirran Crusader. Ok, so it was definitely the same situation and I really deserved it, because skipping half a dozen my interactions (that he'd definitely should have anticipated; he knew of the cycling land I got in hand, he saw the LftL in gy, he should have understood that there must be a reason why I thrown 1/1 WB in front of 1/2 SFM, etc.) is definitely the same as me attacking into empty board and shrotcutting it to "take four, gain four".
    I lost g3 in turns. Dude said some bullshit about how his deck this and that and how he's new to DnT like that was what matterd... shit, it wasn't about being new to DnT, it was about completely ignoring me and my cards like if I'm just some random weirdo sitting there twiddling his dick while he goldfishes all over the table. I need to admit that the guy was lucky he didn't ended with a few teeth less, and I'm like totally fed up with MtG players.
    Loss 0:1

I considered dropping, but then again this was the last time I'll play the cards, and more importantlyy it started to rain, so I remained for another round.

R2, Junk
    g1: I got double StP for DRs and Bob, while the guy killed my two BoPs with decays. Fortunately I got myself from manascrew and flied over his Scooze, Bob and Goyf with a pair of Enforcers. He didn't realize he may simply shrink my gy to stop the big nasty human nomad mystics, but I'm fine witha win.
    g2: I started with Wayfarer, he play EE, Nihil Spielbomb and Liliana. I played Needle naming EE, then I played some more dudes into it, as I had nothing else to play, needed to get outof manascrew (and circumvent Liliana), etc. Lately he killed Needle, cleared the board and sit on Lili withut activating her because dat hand, 'twas strong. I geddoned away lands, drawn my one-of LftL and proceeded to win with a Terravore.
    Win, 1:1

R3, budget UR Delver (no Stifles, Wastes and Submerges)
    g1: he won with Lalamancer
    g2: I won with Masticore
    g3: we wnet to turns when I had a kill on the ground (a 6/6 Terravore... btw, it sucked he didn't play Wastes), but needed one more turn. There was a crowd around us and they cheered me for playing this pile, they had good laugh (in a good sense of word) of my deck-building choices, they were thrilled when I slowly searched the deck while fetching so that they may see the beauty of fully Japanese Terrageddon, and they went crazy when they noticed I sb-ed Worship. But ofcourse, there's no flower beautiful enough for slugs to not eat it, and of course some prick commented it like "so this is what we all wait for" like if his time matters more than ours.
    Fuck MtG players. Except for my opponent, who in a case of outstanding generosity conceded to me saying that I deserved the win and my deck is really nice. Thanks man! It was a pleasure to play against you and I hope you'll get your Submerges asap!
    Win, 2:1

R4, GBW Deathblade
    g1: blah blah triple Wasteland blah blah
    g2: I thought I'll win with a 7/7 Terravore, but then I put a Cloak on it as my opponent missed any removal. She thrown B-skull in front of Vore to buy a turn, then she got a Lili but still needed something else for my other critters. Turn before she completely stabilized (after she killed some small man and let me sacrifice the second Vore), I drawn the Best Giant Growth Ever:

I attacked with 20/20 lifelink double trample Terravore into tapped lands and untapped Bob. Unsurprisingly, I won this game.
    g3: deck shat at me and I lost.
    Loss, 2:2

Final score 2:2

Props: the deck, some Magic players
    slops: the deck, some Magic players

A note: If I may have Three Wishes related to MtG, then I'd ask for this:
    1) Make it somehow that they printed LftL in Invasion
    2) Make it somehow that they printed KotR in Judgement
    3) Make it somehow that hey printed Path to Exile in Legions
    4) Make it somehow that they printed Needle in old frame.
    Yeah. Those are four wishes. Take four, gain four, all your guys are belong to us.

/greenwhite
    Very sweet deck. Beyond the foreign-ness of your cards, just seeing a deck with REAL Masticore, and Werebear, and a freaking Armadillo Coak made me happy.

About that Thalia with Jitte comment, though, I wouldn't fault the guy. I wasn't there, and he might have been an a-hole, but usually playing Magic, you go based on assumed board-state with no tricks. Otherwise players would just ask a million unnecessary questions.

Short-cutting in a step like that is acceptable. Like how its acceptable to short-cut and not say "Pass during my upkeep, do you have any actions? Pass at end of draw step, do you have any actions? Pass during, pre-combat main phase, I would like to proceed to beginning of combat step, but no further, do you have any actions?" on the first turn of the game in Standard.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

The deck is beautiful. I can't imagine parting with those cards.

And I'd say, especially when trying weirdstuff at a small-ish local tournament, it's good to find a certain zen in not letting unfun opponents tilt you, and ideally vex them further by managing to have fun in spite of them. Easier said than done. </unsolicited peptalk>
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Dunno if you dreamed this or not, but "I'd rather play Magic" is hilarious and should be a new meme. Or something.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Thread Information