Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst matchup for each deck

Hybrid View

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Worst matchup for each deck

I'm doing some research on the MTGO meta and I wonder which are THE WORST matchups for each deck, like nigh unwinnable bad. Be specific enough, not just like "Deck X loses to counters."

Feel free to contribute match-ups and/or other decks to the list:

RUG Delver

BUG Delver

UWR Delver

Goblins

Shardless BUG

Jund

Maverick

D&T - Elves

Miracles

Esperblade

Deathblade

4x Lands/Loam Control

12 Post

Burn

Belcher

Oops! All Spells!

Painter

Elves

Storm

Reanimator

Sneak & Show - D&T

Omnitell

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: Worst matchup for each deck

RUG Delver - Pox
    BUG Delver - Merfolk or Burn?
    UWR Delver - Lands
    Goblins - Zoo
    Shardless BUG - Elves or Merfolk
    Jund - Burn or Omni/Sneak Attack (with Leyline)
    Maverick - Belcher or Miracles
    D&T - Belcher or Elves
    Miracles - 12-Post
    Esperblade - 12-Post
    Deathblade - Jund?
    4x Lands/Loam Control - High Tide
    12-Post - Pox
    Burn - Reanimator or any Show and Tell strategy with Leylines
    Belcher - Reanimator
    Oops! All Spells! - Reanimator
    Painter - Burn or Goblins
    Elves - Reanimator
    Storm - Team America or Dragon Stompy
    Reanimator - Miracles
    Sneak & Show - Death and Taxes
    Omnitell - UWR Delver (Edit: changed to Reanimator, after noticing someone else's response)
    Dredge - B/W Helm Combo

The Delver strategies pretty much don't have an "unwinnable matchup" because the combination of tempo counters, mana denial, and a blistering fast clock will ensure you're at least in every game.
    Last edited by lordofthepit; 07-22-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Reanimator's worst matchup is probably BUG / Deathblade. Deathrite Shaman, counter magic, Thoughtseize and often Lilly main let them interact with you in every zone, and can lock you out from ever really being "in it" fairly often. Post board, many of them also have access to either Scavenging Ooze, Surgical Extraction, or both. Miracles probably was the deck's worst matchup, but then they cut their best card in RIP from the main for some reason and went down to like, two on the board. In the past year, Miracles has gotten much easier for reanimator pilots that know the matchup, so BUGx gets my vote for current nemesis, with Maverick close behind.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Worldslayer View Post
    Reanimator's worst matchup is probably BUG / Deathblade. Deathrite Shaman, counter magic, Thoughtseize and often Lilly main let them interact with you in every zone, and can lock you out from ever really being "in it" fairly often. Post board, many of them also have access to either Scavenging Ooze, Surgical Extraction, or both. Miracles probably was the deck's worst matchup, but then they cut their best card in RIP from the main for some reason and went down to like, two on the board. In the past year, Miracles has gotten much easier for reanimator pilots that know the matchup, so BUGx gets my vote for current nemesis, with Maverick close behind.
    Maveric due to DRS/Ooze? I don't know, they normally switch to the S&T plan post-board. D&T also has decent game against Reanimator.

Is it the Monogreen or the UG variant that does well versus various control decks like Miracles or doesn't it really matter that much?

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

RUG Delver - Dredge, Nic Fit, 4c Loam, maybe pox? With the "typical" SB, Id vote Dredge.

BUG Delver - Burn

UWR Delver - ???

Goblins - Deathblade, Zoo, Reanimtor, Belcher/Allspells. They are all terrible.

Shardless BUG - Painter or Burn or S&T. Probably Burn being the worse.

Jund - Burn, Painter or S&T. S&T probably the worst.

Maverick - Miracles or Belcher

D&T - Elves or Jund

Miracles - 12 Post, then Goblins

Esperblade - 12 Post

Deathblade - Burn. Then, Shardless BUG or Jund.

4x Lands/Loam Control - ??? High Tide makes a lot of sense to me. I also know this MU always feels super easy with Miracles.

12 Post - ??? Omnitell, or pox maybe? Depending on the build/SB, reanimtor or storm might be tough too

Burn - Belcher/All spells/Storm/Reanimator

Belcher - ??? Not sure what the actual WORST matchup is. Maybe Team America? Daze, discard, FoW, AND null rod/pneedle AND golgari charm.

Oops! All Spells! - Miracles or anything that runs leyline of the void

Painter - Burn???

Elves - Esperblade, Jund or Reanimator

Storm - MUD, Miracles, Team America

Reanimator - Miracles

Sneak & Show - D&T or Reanimator

Omnitell - ??? This always feels really easy with Miracles

High Tide - ??? Again, this always feels really easy with Miracles

Dredge - Miracles or Reanimator

Affinity - Nic Fit or DeedStill

Nic Fit - Show and Tell, 12 Post or MUD

Merfolk - Goblins

MUD - ???

12 Post hates playing against storm. More than half of the sideboard is designed to fight this matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    MUD - ???
    Some form of Delver. Probably BUG, but they're all pretty rough.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

MUD - ???
    I think Maverick-style decks are rough for MUD. They have plenty of Qasali Pridemage effects, relevant hatebears, reasonable ramp, Wastelands, and can easily get under Ensnaring Bridge with something like Noble Hierarch.

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Maveric due to DRS/Ooze? I don't know, they normally switch to the S&T plan post-board. D&T also has decent game against Reanimator.
    Maverick due to drs abs ooze attacking your graveyard, Thalia attacking your ability to dig and counter, wasteland constraining your mana, revoker turning off griselbrand's draw, teeg removing your force of wills, knight of the reliquary removing your ability to show and tell (since they just go find karakas), cavern removing your ability to really interact, pride made removing your ability to pithing needle, mind censor attacking your ability to entomb and fetch... The list goes on. Most builds of maverick are just awful for us. Thinks like massacre help, but at the end of the day it's KotR into Karakas and Maze that really just does it. Maverick seems like a bye on paper and a nightmare in practice.

DnT is kind of the reverse since the inception of Sire of Insanity (and more recently for me, Admonition Angel in the "non legendary answer to permanents" slot), since they A) have less actual "karakas" in their deck then Maverick since they dont have KotR and B) have generic beater guys that can't fight reanimator monsters where Maverick has "even more god damn hate bears". I actively consider DnT favorable anymore after testing with a local DnT player and running against it weekly at the LGS.

I'll stop hogging the thread now, but honestly guys, Miracles isn't the death match it was for us. Bugx, uwr, maverick are all much harder since miracles moved off of being a Rip combo /control deck (which I still don't understand at all).
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Lands - Imperial Painter, Burn, fast combo

While these matchups are theoretically winnable (and I have beaten Burn before) they are extremely bad. Painter is probably the worst matchup for Cloudpost as well. Some other matchups I've noticed are REALLY bad, through playing one side and/or the other:

BUG Delver - Elves, Lands

Miracles - Punishing Jund (I've only lost this matchup once in tournament play as Jund, and that was due to extremely bad play on my part)

Deathblade - Nic Fit

RUG Delver (or really any Delver deck) - Jund Depths/Pox

Although nobody plays it anymore, the Gate is also an awful matchup for Delver decks.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2007

Yeah, I forgot about Belcher for D&T. That's an abyssal match-up for D&T as well.

Doesn't Shardless really struggle against Painter with all those moon effects, too?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

RUG Delver -> Pox ?
    BUG Delver -> Elves !
    UWR Delver -> ?
    Goblins -> Oops all spells - If good combo/gravehate sideboard then it's probably a Pfire deck.
    Shardless BUG -> Burn !
    Jund -> ?
    Maverick -> ?
    D&T -> Elves
    Miracles -> Cloudpost !
    Esperblade -> Cloudpost !
    Deathblade -> ?
    4x Lands/Loam Control -> Omnitell
    12-Post -> Pox ?
    Burn -> Reanimator
    Belcher -> Reanimator
    Oops! All Spells! -> BUG Delver or reanimator
    Painter -> Omnitell !
    Elves -> Reanimator or some Pfire control
    Storm -> MUD
    Reanimator -> BUG Tempo ?
    Sneak & Show -> Death and taxes !
    Omnitell -> Reanimator !
    Dredge -> Miracles helm ?
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Elves -> Reanimator or some Pfire control
    Reanimator is a good suggestion, but what do you mean by Pfire control? Miracles, Jund? Jund is fine.

Elves - Esperblade, Jund or Reanimator
    Esperblade and Jund shouldn't be in there.

For my votes:

Elves - Reanimator, LED Dredge. Miracles, Storm, UWR Delver are all unfavourable but can be fought. Those two are just abysmal though, LED Dredge especially. Everything Elves does is just too slow and/or too small. Against reanimator stuff is just slow but at least your gravehate works.

Storm - Reanimator. Faster combo deck with Force = sad times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

For Uwr delver the worst matchup is Pox and not Lands. Lands is still winnable with a very fast start

Reanimator worst matchup is not Miracles is UWR delver.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Manaless Dredge - G2 & G3 vs. anything with a good SB

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Reanimator is a good suggestion, but what do you mean by Pfire control? Miracles, Jund? Jund is fine.
    Pfire control doesn't mean a punishing fire deck OR a control deck. It means a control deck playing punishing fire. Not really established archetypes but I have seen several times grixis or rug pfire control decklists.
    Nic fit decks with Pfire could also enter that category depending on the decklist.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Zombie might have been referring to the fact that on rare occasion miracles lists run punishing fire. I don't think any have top'd anything big lately, but they do well at smaller events occasionally.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I forgot about Maverick. Ya, that might be a tough one for MUD. Delver isn't so bad. Infact, MUD is probably even favored if it doesn't lose to its own draws. Basically ever card they cast is a must answer for delver and sticking a wurmcoil ends the game.

Deathblade is definitely favored over RUG. And a good elves player with a recent list vs a good miracles with a recent list, its almost 50/50. Miracles is probably still favored, but its very slight. Elves has adapted a lot lately to beat that deck. It has a much harder time with stuff cheap effective removal like stp and ZP followed up by Jitte and backed up with counters. I agree with your other statements though, btm.
    It's interesting to hear that Miracles/Elves isn't that lopsided - it makes sense when you put it this way. One thing I'm sort of surprised by is with so many people pointing out that MUD has a number of good matchups (basically everything aside from BUG variants and Elves seems fairly winnable) that the deck isn't played more. Its 12-post matchup is pretty bad (I think?) but there aren't many people going full 12-post.

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    I play a lot of RUG and if you play against the normal variant of death blade (with no basics) I would call the match up even. You sometimes waste stifle then bolt deathrite and win other times they go first and they play deathrite on turn 1 and win off the fact you never get to functionally deny mana.
    If they play basics you almost can't win
    That makes sense - I'm very inexperienced with RUG as I said before, and I'll admit to a somewhat irrational anti-Stoneforge bias so I probably underrate any deck running it matchups.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Pfire control doesn't mean a punishing fire deck OR a control deck. It means a control deck playing punishing fire. Not really established archetypes but I have seen several times grixis or rug pfire control decklists.
    Nic fit decks with Pfire could also enter that category depending on the decklist.
    Do you have any example lists to show?

My typical experience with PFire is that it's too slow, but if it's in a heavy blue control shell it will be trouble. Depends heavily on the build, though - many recent Miracles/midrange adaptations should do good work in those matchups too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Mar 2007

I'm probably updating the OP post when a consensus is found on certain match-ups.

From what I've gathered so far:

RUG Delver - Pox? Dredge?

BUG Delver - Merfolk? Burn? Elves?

UWR Delver - Lands?

Goblins - Zoo??? Oops, All Spells?

Shardless BUG - Burn

Jund - Burn, Omni/Sneak Attack (with Leyline)

Maverick - Belcher, Oops, then Miracles

D&T - Belcher, Oops, Elves

Miracles - 12-Post

Esperblade - 12-Post

Deathblade - Jund? Shardless BUG? Jund? Burn

4x Lands/Loam Control - High Tide? Miracles? Other fast, spell-based combo? Burn? Painter?

12-Post - Pox? RUG Delver?? Storm?

Burn - Reanimator or any Show and Tell strategy with Leylines

Belcher - Reanimator

Oops! All Spells! - Reanimator

Painter - Burn, Goblins? Omnitell? Cloudpost?

Elves - Reanimator

Storm - Team America, Dragon Stompy, MUD?

Reanimator - Miracles? Maverick (black splash)? D&T?

Sneak & Show - Death and Taxes

Omnitell - Reanimator

Dredge - anything with decent GY hate, maybe D&T due to Thalia blocking their spells?

Edit: Dredge removed from the Elves matchup
    Last edited by Barook; 07-24-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Thread Information