Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst matchup for each deck

Re: Worst matchup for each deck

For the tired and down trodden-

Dega (W/B/R) vs. shardless BUG and now U/R sligh - both due to the ability to instantly restock hands and negate the grind effect of land & hand disruption. Either have removal for creatures, or can trade profitably, along with own hand disruption/counterspells. Not unwinnable match-ups, but not as close to 50/50 as would like.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Nic Fit has a few axes on which matchups can be favorable or not: ability to trigger Veteran Explorer, ability to abuse its effect more, ability to ignore Deed, Decay, and other removal, etc.

Id say the worst fair matchup is probably Miracles and the worst unfair matchup is Reanimator or Sneak and Show.

From the decks I've played:

Jund- Burn, Reanimator, SnT, Storm
    Reanimator- DnT to infinity
    Burn- Reanimator
    Stax-Almost every deck except Miracles

Mar 2010
    Philippines

i played RUG for years, i hate playing vs pox (though winnable), nicfit variants, dredge.. and of course i hate MUD!
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

A lot of people are saying Miracles is elves worst matchup. As a miracles player, I do not think this could be the case. Unless your terrible with elves (which a lot of people are) or you are playing some outdated/budget version, the matchup is at best 55% in miracles favor. Reanimator, esper or UWR stoneblade are far tougher for elves in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingslayer View Post
    NIC Fit is the absolute worst matchup for RUG. The matchup is probably 30/70. Cabal therapy for stifle, flashback, sacrifice explorer, get basics, abrupt decay delver, deed goose, proceed to play Standard circa 2012. Sad day.
    I played Nic Fit for over a year back in the time of the holy trinity (Esper, Mav, RUG). Even with RUG being 10-20% of the meta, I don't think I lost to it once in a tournament setting. Stifle is basically the only card in their entire deck that does anything relevant in the matchup. The RUG player would have a better chance of winning the matchup with a sealed deck. I still think RUG is still a solid deck though, and underestimated these days.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Looking through this thread, basically every deck has at least one player claiming that Reanimator is its worst matchup. Now, obviously this isn't accurate, as the deck's results don't prove this out. Is it because Reanimator's wins are such one-sided blowouts, where when they can't put anything together and lose, it's a completely forgettable game? Is it lack of proper pilots? Placement in the metagame? There has to be some reason eveyone claims it is their "worst", and yet it barely places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Oct 2010

Double Post ... needs to be deleted when I am not on a phone.

Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looking through this thread, basically every deck has at least one player claiming that Reanimator is its worst matchup. Now, obviously this isn't accurate, as the deck's results don't prove this out. Is it because Reanimator's wins are such one-sided blowouts, where when they can't put anything together and lose, it's a completely forgettable game? Is it lack of proper pilots? Placement in the metagame? There has to be some reason eveyone claims it is their "worst", and yet it barely places.
    The reason I suggest Nic Fit has trouble with Reanimator is mostly because of Nic Fit's lack of white removal (C.Judgment or StP) and dependence on Cabal Therapy for disruption any combo deck with big fatties as the primary wincon and nonpermanents as the main method to cheat those into play is hell for us. This includes Reanimator, Sneak and Show, Omnitell, Tin Fins, Hypergenesis, fringe Eureka decks, etc. Out of these, Reanimator deserves notoriety simply because not only do they bring in new reanimation targets, they also have the opportunity to transform into a partial Show and Tell deck, which means every Therapy call counts if we have any chance of surviving even g2.

Sneak and Show, on the other hand, is one of the few decks with both Emrakul and Griselbrand. Its also one of two that can give them both haste. Out of those two, Sneak and Show doesnt need to win when it swings, hence sneaky spaghetti monsters and bargainbrands can easily change the flow of the game if caught unprepared.

In a best vs best case scenario, hypergen or tin fins is certainly scarier. Problem is that both of those decks need to bide their time before they can go off consistently. Both Reanimator and Sneak and Show are more consistent and have the potential to be more versatile.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I'm doing some research on the MTGO meta and I wonder which are THE WORST matchups for each deck, like nigh unwinnable bad.
    Barook, are you going to update your OP with all the feedback you received?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Reanimator has serious issues beating two of the more popular decks in the meta: BUG Delver and Miracles. This keeps Reanimator out of most top-8's, I think. Who has another theory?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Reanimator has serious issues beating two of the more popular decks in the meta: BUG Delver and Miracles. This keeps Reanimator out of most top-8's, I think. Who has another theory?
    His post was largely a rhetorical question.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    For the tired and down trodden-

Dega (W/B/R) vs. shardless BUG and now U/R sligh - both due to the ability to instantly restock hands and negate the grind effect of land & hand disruption. Either have removal for creatures, or can trade profitably, along with own hand disruption/counterspells. Not unwinnable match-ups, but not as close to 50/50 as would like.
    I don't think either of these are as bad as Miracles. You can win a race with either of those decks or waste Shardless out of the game. Countertop and Terminus are just miserable for the Dega player though. Your only real hope to beat miracles is that they can't get basics online and you can keep them off white with Wasteland.

In fact, I would add that while Dega vs. Miracles is hopelessly lopsided, the reverse is true when you replace red with green. Abrupt Decay, Sylvan Library, Gaddock Teeg, Krosan Grip all make life miserable for Miracles players. It's honestly weird for me when I play the matchup now that I've switched to Junk from Dega and they can't do anything they want. Before, it was just me watching them set up Countertop, counter all my spells for free and then Terminus my meager board and then Entreat for a dozen. I would definitely be comfortable saying Junk is quite favored against Miracles, but it might not be as bad as 12post or Goblins.

Point- counterpoint. With a lot of discard, and very early threats, Miracles can be beaten. I'd much rather face the U/W durdle deck, rather than another grindy match-up that can restock, effectively nulling the efforts of attrition Dega plays. There's also enough shuffle effects, that a Terminus doesn't abandon your critters on the bottom. Plus there's hate for Top, Jace in Revoker, SotL for can-trips, and Mom for STP. So much of their game is the soft-lock, and that's easier to beat.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    His post was largely a rhetorical question.
    Incorrect. I, for one, claimed Reanimator was probably Dredge's worst matchup. The reason for this is that Dredge has no countermagic to stop a turn 1-2 Elesh Norn, and virtually no way to beat Norn once in play. Dredge can't even consistantly rely on racing Reanimator due to their possibly not having access to Norn in those turns due to the combination of Force, Daze, and sometimes Thoughtseize.

However, I am equally certain that this is not the reason the majority of others claimed the same problem with the deck, and wanted to find what their problems were.
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Incorrect.
    Oh, I figured it was.

Anyway, the non-rhetorical answer is that they're either bad decks or ignorant players or ignorant players playing bad decks. And I don't mean that maliciously, I live for shitty pet decks, but it's the truth of the matter. We all have our pet decks that we'll run and love no matter how down they get, but we do go "holy shit" when Dredge places because it is gimmicky and fragile. Likewise, people are arguing which deck steamrolls Dega worse with the two strongest decks in Legacy being the top contenders. So, sure, they're going to have bad match-ups against random things like Reanimator. And, deck choice aside, there are people who just don't know how to play match-ups. They play the game one against Reanimator going "woah fuck", lose game two, and then come into this thread like it's the end of the world.

Decks that aren't bad and players that aren't ignorant don't have "worst match-ups". They have decks they'd rather not face and they have decks they're comfortable playing against, but there's never really anything that can't be fixed with sideboarding.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Oh, I figured it was.

Anyway, the non-rhetorical answer is that they're either bad decks or ignorant players or ignorant players playing bad decks. And I don't mean that maliciously, I live for shitty pet decks, but it's the truth of the matter. We all have our pet decks that we'll run and love no matter how down they get, but we do go "holy shit" when Dredge places because it is gimmicky and fragile. Likewise, people are arguing which deck steamrolls Dega worse with the two strongest decks in Legacy being the top contenders. So, sure, they're going to have bad match-ups against random things like Reanimator. And, deck choice aside, there are people who just don't know how to play match-ups. They play the game one against Reanimator going "woah fuck", lose game two, and then come into this thread like it's the end of the world.

Decks that aren't bad and players that aren't ignorant don't have "worst match-ups". They have decks they'd rather not face and they have decks they're comfortable playing against, but there's never really anything that can't be fixed with sideboarding.
    Yes. Dredge is gimmicky and fragile.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I'm not trying to insult you. I like Dredge. I think it's fun and and I cheer my friend on whenever he brings it out. And grats on your victory. Competent players can do well with pet decks, but a pet deck it remains.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

That's absurd. By pet deck, do you mean one that's easily hated out? One that has a lot of bad matchups? One that is powerful, but inconsistant?

The last, I think I've proven is not applicable. As for the first two, there isn't a single deck that in the wide breadth of Legacy doen't have at least 5 bad matchups. And my definition of this, is where one has strategic superiority over the other. My definition of strategic superiority is assuming equally skilled pilots, when both decks are fully funtioning at peak output, one will win more than 50% of the games than the other. And as far as hate, 90% of the decks in Legacy can hate out any other deck in the format if they should choose to devote enough slots towards doing so, without changing the primary function of their deck.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Both Dredge and ReAnimator's worst matchups are their opponent's sideboards.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

People take notice of Dredge winning for the same reason people take notice of Goblins, Maverick and Nic Fit winning. These are decks who's time in the sun has come and gone. Those that still hold onto them tend to do so more for emotional reasons than an honest belief that the deck is well placed in the meta. That is why it's a pet deck. Not because it can be hated out, but because the people that play them tend to do so for emotional reasons instead of meta ones.

Edit.
    Haha. Now that's funny, someone sign that post above me.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information