Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [fucking dammit] Commander 2014

Re: [fucking dammit] Commander 2014

They'd probably have to make the new PW commanders broken before I play them. There are far too many weakness PW suffer from to consider making them my commander. Additionally, Pithing Needle is super brutal. Which I find to be pretty funny. I do like the general idea (zing) of making PW's commanders though.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

In listening to the MtG Comic Con panel, for some reason it's comforting knowing that the RC did actually give this idea its 'blessing', allegedly.
    Mostly I withdraw my gripe.
    They could still screw up though. :) There's a lot of colors left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Would any walker even be "OP" as a commander? Maybe 1v1 it would be one thing, but in multiplayer even the Karns/Nicol Bolas's of the world are probably fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yeah its almost like your commander trades in weakness to Wrath for giving your opponents creatures Provoke. I wonder how good they can actually be. If this is the Blue one... hmm

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Would any walker even be "OP" as a commander? Maybe 1v1 it would be one thing, but in multiplayer even the Karns/Nicol Bolas's of the world are probably fine.
    Most likely only in 1v1. French rules variant is a better format. online 1v1 is broken as fuck all
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I don't play the format, but I play Modern with a fair few people that do. So far, what I am hearing is that they dislike the need to build a control shell around this guy. That's the complaint I get the most. He will create another control deck as that's what's needed to play him effectively.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I don't play the format, but I play Modern with a fair few people that do. So far, what I am hearing is that they dislike the need to build a control shell around this guy. That's the complaint I get the most. He will create another control deck as that's what's needed to play him effectively.
    Maybe? I mean mostly it will have to work at keeping him on the battlefield, which is a mixed bag for the stated reasons.

I hope that Teferi isn't the one they 'pushed' because if planeswalker-based EDH decks are even gonna work they have to be awesome engines, right - else they offer very little over a creature. The one-shot-a-turn thing is gonna punch these guys in the breakfast, and everyone trying to Voltron together a Chain Veil/Strionic Resonator/whatever-else-copies-abilities deck is going to be suuuper predictable. They can't even 21 damage a guy out of the game, so if they don't embiggen the deck they're on on the merit of being a walker, they just don't do anything.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    The "best" for multiplayer is probably Garuuk 1.0 at the helm of a tokens deck I guess? Make a bunch of wolves and beasts or whatever, jam the Garuuk and Overrun for the win? Personally, I'd rather have Kahmal, Fist of Krosa for such a thing, but I could see Garuuk filling that role fairly well. He would let you play your ramp spells and token makers while holding up mana for Tangle and Constant Mists or whatever to keep him alive long enough to "go off"...but I dunno how powerful that would be compared to a typical Asuza or Omnath list.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yeah it's hard to think of any that would be really OP, though many make for 'interesting' decks. I could see someone trying to get there with Gideon; play his +1 to get a bunch of loyalty on him, then play one of White's 49 spells that say "destroy all" on it, and then start 2-hitting people out of the game with his 0? It's gimmicky, but funny.

Now that I think about it, I want nothing more than to do precisely that. Get to 8 mana, be like "+1 Gids, he's got... 17 loyalty apparently? Wrath; Armageddon. Cool? Seems good. I'll pass."

I play the shit out of Geddons in EDH, I don't give a

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    French rules variant is a better format.
    Do you even lift, bro?

What makes the French variant better? Net-decking? Hyper-competitiveness? Ubiquity?
    You sure you wouldn't rather be playing Legacy?

EDH was designed as a casual multiplayer format. 'French rules' is neither.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Do you even lift, bro?

What makes the French variant better? Net-decking? Hyper-competitiveness? Ubiquity?
    You sure you wouldn't rather be playing Legacy?

EDH was designed as a casual multiplayer format. 'French rules' is neither.
    For 1v1 games only. I feel it is the best balanced version of EDH. Not for multiplayer. And yes, I'd always rather be playing Legacy :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I've played very little 1v1 with the intention of playing a deck aimed at 1v1, though I did just recently throw together a Skullbriar list with the intent of playing against "less than 3 opponents", so we'll see how that goes. vOv

I think I agree that a 1v1 setting makes the planeswalkermanders much more attractive. Especially if you're playing the French rules; IIRC 30 life and several fewer broken cards (though still plenty) make it a little less crucial to be playing giant Destructicon-sized creatures. They still kind of have the half-an-engine problem of being stuck on one activation per turn whereas a creature commander of a similar ability wouldn't necessarily have that problem (or it would be more easily mitigated, generally speaking - the ways in which one can replay planeswalker abilities are fairly limited in scope at present).

Thread Information