Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander 2014 thread

Re: Commander 2014 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom View Post
    "if there are four or more creatures on the battlefield" is totally conditional to me.
    And so is "when you draw this card, you may cast it for its Miracle cost." The unconditional portion referred to it having no conditions as to what creatures it destroyed, not there being no conditions as to when you could fire it off.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The condition of playing in Legacy is starting with 4x Brainstorm (Ok minor hyperbole) so Miracles as a set up is not really the most difficult thing in the world to set up. 1 mana wipe is a pain and any conditions placed upon it are rather easy to mitigate with the legacy card pool.

*Disappearing back into the grandstands now*
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Glad to see we now have a dedicated Terminus thread named "Commander 2014", good job guys.

MtgtheSource: Your source for thread derailment
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Glad to see we now have a dedicated Terminus thread named "Commander 2014", good job guys.

That depends on whether Terminus is being reprinted in C2014.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Hey, I tried pivoting the conversation to Rebels. It's not my fault!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I was going to say, how is there 6 pages of discussion already on 2 cards, both of which are very unlikely to see play in Legacy. I guess the answer is that this is now a Terminus thread.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Feaor View Post
    I was going to say, how is there 6 pages of discussion already on 2 cards, both of which are very unlikely to see play in Legacy. I guess the answer is that this is now a Terminus thread.
    Well we came by it honestly, really. I know that I've expressed sentiments about the nature of certain cards and mechanics lately that are working to re-establish the previous status quo, just with different words. Case in point: changing the game play from "Swords your Kird Ape" to "Council's Judgment voting for True-Name Nemesis" was one big long trip through experiments with indestructible vs. tuck, hexproof vs. sacrifices, etc etc etc... all the while trying to find a game state which recreated the old dynamic of "target creature needs to get off my battlefield".

And since our format doesn't rotate, these tricks never leave -- so when something comes along that can "target the untargetable" or "destroy the indestructible", you turn back to your older cards that don't have any of the fancy words like "hexproof" and "vote" and shit and you're like... "you promised you would never be irrelevant, Kird Ape... YOU SWORE" and Kird Ape is like "..." cuz it's just cardboard yo, don't talk to your Magic cards #foreveralone

So vis-a-vis this looming mentality of what all this experimentation with answers to indestructible hexproof guys does to answers, and how it changes the way the rest of the format plays Magic, we get more of that weird experimentation, only THIS time it's with a format that people tend to either love or hate, and if you love it you are a little guarded about it because it is supposed to be arbitrated independently of WotC, and yet here they go messing with one of the most defining rules of the format - "select a Legendary Creature as your commander" - so people get nervous!

I'm mostly over it myself, because I realized that even if planeswalkers as commanders are just Sorceries (a one-shot effect during my turn, and then my commander gets runned over by everyone's pissy 6/6s), then I have some nerve playing Sedris in EDH. So I'm a hypocrite, and I got over it. But I get wanting to squeal about it for a minute, because EDH is a format that a player may claim a little more ownership over than, say, Modern or Legacy.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    So vis-a-vis this looming mentality of what all this experimentation with answers to indestructible hexproof guys does to answers, and how it changes the way the rest of the format plays Magic, we get more of that weird experimentation, only THIS time it's with a format that people tend to either love or hate, and if you love it you are a little guarded about it because it is supposed to be arbitrated independently of WotC, and yet here they go messing with one of the most defining rules of the format - "select a Legendary Creature as your commander" - so people get nervous!

EDH is a format that a player may claim a little more ownership over than, say, Modern or Legacy.
    Basically this new Teferi feels to me like if WotC starts to dip into Old School 93/94 Magic with new prints of Erhnam Djinns, Strip Mines and Chaos Pikachu

Chaos Pikachu
    Tribal Planeswalker - Pikachu

Chaos Pikachu might be played in 93/94
    as thought it was printed in Arabian Nights.
    Sincerely, your WotC.

+1: City in a Bottle
    -7: Chaos Orb
    _____________________ 4

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Well we came by it honestly, really. I know that I've expressed sentiments about the nature of certain cards and mechanics lately that are working to re-establish the previous status quo, just with different words. Case in point: changing the game play from "Swords your Kird Ape" to "Council's Judgment voting for True-Name Nemesis" was one big long trip through experiments with indestructible vs. tuck, hexproof vs. sacrifices, etc etc etc... all the while trying to find a game state which recreated the old dynamic of "target creature needs to get off my battlefield".

And since our format doesn't rotate, these tricks never leave -- so when something comes along that can "target the untargetable" or "destroy the indestructible", you turn back to your older cards that don't have any of the fancy words like "hexproof" and "vote" and shit and you're like... "you promised you would never be irrelevant, Kird Ape... YOU SWORE" and Kird Ape is like "..." cuz it's just cardboard yo, don't talk to your Magic cards #foreveralone

Do you even lift, bro?
    I can't wait for them to spoil Jaya Ballard so we can spend 5 pages debating TNN.

It is difficult to make a convincing argument that Teferi will see any play in Legacy as a 6 mana planeswalker. What is nice, but probably just for Commander, is that he untaps the exact number of lands required to play Supreme Verdict. He could also untap your creatures, so in a sense he does protect himself (indirectly).

He's not good enough for Vintage, right? I don't even lift Vintage, but he does untap Time Vault.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Do you even lift, bro?
    I can't wait for them to spoil Jaya Ballard so we can spend 5 pages debating TNN.

It is difficult to make a convincing argument that Teferi will see any play in Legacy as a 6 mana planeswalker. What is nice, but probably just for Commander, is that he untaps the exact number of lands required to play Supreme Verdict. He could also untap your creatures, so in a sense he does protect himself (indirectly).

He's not good enough for Vintage, right? I don't even lift Vintage, but he does untap Time Vault.
    Untaps Tolarian Academy + Time Vault to have enough mana to hardcast Blightsteel Colossus
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Feaor View Post
    It's all connected in the end. New planeswalker breaks the rules of a non-sanctioned format. Terminus breaks the rules of Legacy. Phasing is the best answer to Terminus. New planeswalker sucks because none of his abilities involve phasing.

New best creature in Legacy:
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Do you even lift, bro?

I still really don't think it's about its playability, just its existence. The *mere thought* that a planeswalker could exist in the command zone -- it's like if there was a woman at a prerelease, or like if they served Big Macs at Burger King, or if like a guy from the Holodeck was in a place not on the Holodeck! Off-sides, mo-fucky, off-sides!

For some kind of srs though, I'm real glad he untaps for Supreme Verdict mana -- too bad about that color identity business. Obviously there are applications for all the walkers outside the command zone, just I thought that was funny is all. He's actually less exploitable as a commander, because his abilities are honestly not that amazing in mono-bluh.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Feldon is back!

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

It's a beautiful flavored card, but 6 mana and a turn to get a sneak attack for your graveyard isn't the best effect there is. I mean, Welder is unplayed in this format and its effect is probably better than this one at R to cast and 0 to activate.
    The active could cost 0 on this and it would still be unplayable, so just right for a red card

But really, i like the card a lot for flavor, too bad it's overcosted red jank as always. Meanwhile Maro is worried about Chaos Warp because it ruin magic and TNN is a brilliant card

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Feldon is back!

I don't know the Feldon story, but that's quite beautifully romantic, whether of the love variety or of the emotional and adventurous aesthetics variety. A little of the Police "Every Breath You Take" creepiness, too.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    I don't know the Feldon story, but that's quite beautifully romantic, whether of the love variety or of the emotional and adventurous aesthetics variety. A little of the Police "Every Breath You Take" creepiness, too.
    I didn't know the Feldon story either, but this got me to reminisce about the time when I would play Feldon's Cane in my casual decks just so I wouldn't deck myself in long multiplayer games (back in my scrubby past). The flavor of that shit is so sad! So then I wiki'd Feldon's backstory (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Feldon) and remembered actually reading the story they summarize under The Study of Magic. I had all the MTG books as a youngin and I totally read that story, although I didn't remember that it was about Feldon. That shit is. SO. Sad!

I need this card for my EDH deck so I can shed nerdy-salty-Vorthos tears every time I play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    I didn't know the Feldon story either, but this got me to reminisce about the time when I would play Feldon's Cane in my casual decks just so I wouldn't deck myself in long multiplayer games (back in my scrubby past). The flavor of that shit is so sad! So then I wiki'd Feldon's backstory (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Feldon) and remembered actually reading the story they summarize under The Study of Magic. I had all the MTG books as a youngin and I totally read that story, although I didn't remember that it was about Feldon. That shit is. SO. Sad!

I need this card for my EDH deck so I can shed nerdy-salty-Vorthos tears every time I play it.
    Oh damn, sad stuff.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It really isn't all that similar to Sneak Attack because you can duplicate the same creature every turn.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I could see potential in BR reanimator. My favorite potential thing to do with this would be to bring back a Blightsteel but that's 100% magical Christmas land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I could see potential in BR reanimator. My favorite potential thing to do with this would be to bring back a Blightsteel but that's 100% magical Christmas land.
    You can't. Blightsteel has that "can't be reanimated" clause :(
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information