Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: You Choose The Brew Ep. 3

[Article]Eternal Europe: You Choose The Brew Ep. 3

After a slight delay due to technical difficulties (on SCGs side) here it is finally, Episode three of You Choose The Brew:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...Episode-3.html

Enjoy :)

/edit: Poll's fixed now, vote away!
    Last edited by Mon,Goblin Chief; 07-28-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: You Choose The Brew Ep. 3

Thanks, I enjoyed it!

I was tinkering with a deck like this (Control Slaver), too, a while ago, albeit without Dack and TA.
    I have been always very happy with Thirst for Knowledge in such a deck. Any reason, you didn't include it? Probably TA took its place!?

Maybe Izzet Charm could be worth some consideration, too.

Personally I was never that happy with the black splash, because I felt it was only for the Strixes. In theory I then thought about a straight UR mana base which could afford more Sol lands and wanted the Strixes to be replaced with some Solemns (similarly how UB Tezzerets runs/ran them).
    Don't know if it was a good idea.

Nice job on this series, keep going!

Happy you liked it :)

Thought about Izzet Charm and that might still be an option, though it isn't a great card in either mode (the flexibility could make it a decent 1-2 of). As for Thirst for Knowledge, I tried the deck in Legacy quite a long time ago and was continuously disappointed. Three mana is a lot for a - somewhat - conditional +1 card effect. Not having real Moxen makes quite the difference. Dack is a repeatable effect and has other utility (see Liquimetal Coating).

As to the Strixes, they weren't but but an utterly solid utility card I was never unhappy to draw. It isn't like you can get immune to Wasteland with all the artifact lands anyway. Strixes were also a big reason Welder - and to a lesser extent Transmute - essentially always felt like a threat. Even without something big to Weld in, drawing a card every other turn (while also having a Deathtouch blocker out) is a reasonable enough threat so that opponents usually have to deal with Welder or fall behind.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Nice article as always. I voted for Control Slaver as I'd like to see that deck be a thing, but if you do ever pursue the Bomberman route, you may want to look into Imperial Recruiter to tutor for Salvagers/Trinket/Welder (or hilarious one-ofs like Viashino Heretic).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

-3 Thoughtseize
    -2 Grim Monolith
    -1 Transmute Artifact
    -1 Sundering Titan
    -1 Pithing Needle

+1 SDT
    +2 Counterbalance
    +1 Keranos, God of Storms
    +1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    +1 Sword of the Meek
    +1 Thopter Foundry
    +1 Engineered Explosives

This solves the problem of being completely unable to beat certain things (Storm, Elves, Punishing Fire, Life from the Loam) elegantly, while upping the blue count to a reasonable amount for Forces. Pithing Needle get's much worse with Explosives, Jace and more Tops in your own deck (for obvious reasons). Keranos is a decent threat against other grindy decks, which can actually be sometimes activated, eg Dack, Counterbalance, Welder and you start swinging with your god. Without the 8 mana titan you can afford to cut excess Monoliths, while the first one usually felt good.

Greetings,
    Lars

Thread Information