Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to buy with my store credit

Jan 2014
    STL

Re: What to buy with my store credit

ok got my 3rd trop and 2 savannah's. I'm buying the survivals today. Thanks everybody! I don't play modern because I hate formats where you can't use wasteland

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesquisher View Post
    ok got my 3rd trop and 2 savannah's. I'm buying the survivals today. Thanks everybody! I don't play modern because I hate formats where you can't use wasteland
    Seems like a good idea, although I'm not sure if the Savannahs are that necessary. But yeah, reserve list rare over Goyf.
    What you gonna pay for the SotF? I'm quite surprised, I checked the lgs price and was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I bought moderately played for like $25 a piece and lightly played for $30 a piece. They're not cheap, sadly. But I can use them in proxy vintage.

I'm thinking of buying into Death and Taxes. I've got everything but Ports and 2 of the 3 Karakas. Thoughts? Worried about reprints? Concerns of inflated prices?
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Jan 2014
    STL

Just gonna get the SotF off TCGPlayer for mid, I want to make sure I have them just in case. I'll probably rage quit this game if I don't have them and they get un-banned then jump to $100 each or something stupid. I miss that deck so badly.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Just gonna get the SotF off TCGPlayer for mid, I want to make sure I have them just in case. I'll probably rage quit this game if I don't have them and they get un-banned then jump to $100 each or something stupid. I miss that deck so badly.
    Seconded.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

To keep on the topic, but perhaps make it a little more broad:

Suppose you have $50 store credit at an LGS with a decent selection. You don't have specific deck needs (assume it's me or nedleeds - we have every deck possible). Generic MTG supplies are not an issue (sleeves, playmats etc).

Which singles would you put that $50 credit into?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jan 2014
    STL

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

Suppose you have $50 store credit at an LGS with a decent selection. You don't have specific deck needs (assume it's me or nedleeds - we have every deck possible). Generic MTG supplies are not an issue (sleeves, playmats etc).

Speculate on standard rotating cards once they drop out of standard and all the filthy casuals sell their abrupt decays, deathrite shamans, etc for new stuff. That's what I do when I'm not focusing on a project.

For instance I have 500+ Enter the Infinite's... just in case that card does something.

my exact situation, maybe $48 ... Actually I have no idea and the problem just cumulates as weeklies are done in store credit in the lgs... I just save it in case new sleeves are needed or shop lists useful asian crap...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Speculate on standard rotating cards once they drop out of standard and all the filthy casuals sell their abrupt decays, deathrite shamans, etc for new stuff. That's what I do when I'm not focusing on a project.
    I think the best options are this ^ , or buying land. Other than that, maybe if the store has something that's interesting to you? I picked up a P3K Wolf Pack from my LGS recently just because it'd been sitting there and hey, P3K cards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I try and keep an eye out for staples that aren't too overpriced and easy to move. Basically if I can get about 80% value (an arbitrary # I set for myself) on my store credit then I'm happy about it.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Survivals are like $40 now, that's why I'm worried.
    Wut.

The card isn't good in the only format it's allowed in...

Oath of Druids is 1/5th that price and it's actually a one card combo. 0_0

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Wut.

It is still legal and useful in EDH, which is probably a part of the price, that and speculators/stores holding on to theirs expecting an eventual un-banning.

Oath is not as good in multiplayer.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Wut.

Speculation also drives price. Survival has not priced at its real value in years. Played sporadically in Vintage and then somewhat in Edh, it's value was never truly that high, but the chance that it may be unbanned on Legacy keeps the price above true demand.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Wut.

Someone loves to play different decks?
    I always thought about some Hatebear deck with SotF for Vintage, but then again Vintage gets playd once in a pale moon and I know nothing about the format, so I never done anything.

Apr 2014
    phillipines

im happy for you,.i only got 12/40 duals revised editions,im planning also this year to get the blue duals,time to save and get rid of my nba collection
    Live and Let Live

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

It depends on how deep you're willing to go with risk vs. reward. Right now I think the safest spot for a 50 piece would be a card like Abrupt Decay since it's always going to be a staple in Legacy and will only become better in Modern as power creep lowers their curves to rival that of Legacy. It's also a pretty unlikely reprint since wizards doesn't do GB cards that often and it has a high power level. It's also leaving Standard in a month, but that shouldn't affect the price much if at all since it only saw minimal play there anyways. It's funny how the insane new cards usually suck in Standard (Hello Deathrite and Mental Mistep).

If you wanted to go more into the deep end I'd recommend speculating on Standard legal Mythics, mainly Master of Waves. Mythics tend to be really swingy when they're in Standard so if you get in at the right time the payoff should be nice.

To be more specific about why I think Master of Waves is a good speculation candidate, think about this. When Rav block rotates, the only deck that uses Master (mono U devotion) will lose ALL of its good devotion building guys (mainly Nightveil Specter and Frostburn Weird). That means in around two weeks people will start jumping ship and selling. That's when you scoop them up for five bucks a piece and hope the Khans of Tarkir spoiler brings good news. The card is insanely powerful and it only needs a decent supporting cast to push it over the top, plus it's a mythic. If he makes it back up to his peak (I think ~20) then you just quadrupled your money.

TL;DR- For a safe call with slower, but more guaranteed return, Abrupt Decay all day.
    For a more risky bet with a potentially fast return, Master of Waves for days. (Cute huh?)

EDIT- Okay so I'm seeing Master of Waves at 3.65 now which means the ship has already set sail. Get 'em while they're hot!
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 08-14-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: grrrr auto correct is dung beetle
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Thread Information