Thread: Competitive REL and forced shuffling?

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Competitive REL and forced shuffling?

After a discussion, I was made aware of the following:

At Competitive and Professional REL tournaments, players are required to shuffle their opponents’ decks after
    their owners have shuffled them. The Head Judge can require this at Regular REL tournaments as well.
    I'm a bit confused about this though and would like some further information. Is a cut good enough? What happens if a player doesn't want to do anything to their opponent's deck? What are the penalties for this?
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: Competitive REL and forced shuffling?

One of the reasons I'm thinking about selling my foils is other people shuffling my deck is like nails on a chalk board to me.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

At GP Minneapolis, lots of players weren't shuffling (myself included) and were just doing normal cuts. This happened while judges were watching and they never said a word. I get the reasoning behind it, but forced shuffling causes the games to drag. Think about how many times Pod has to search their library, then shuffle, then opponent shuffle... those games would likely go to time more often than if a cut is agreed upon.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I've never run into any issues with it either. From speaking with judges about it, they always told me you'll never actually get in trouble for it since the only person not shuffling can hurt is yourself.

In the Legacy community, I've also found opponents to be very respectful when shuffling my decks. I think most people realize that we're all playing with valuable cards and no one wants to be the douchebag who riffle shuffles someone else's deck.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I always thought cuts basically = shuffling in regards to this rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Interestingly, shuffling is not really defined unless you see the DCI rules for cutting the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by DCI Universal Tournament Rules
    Cutting: One time only, removing a single portion of a deck and placing it on top of the remaining portion without looking at any of the card faces. Anything more than this one cut is considered a shuffle.
    As it stands, a three-pile cut or a second cut would apparently be considered a shuffle. Neither the DCI rules nor the MtG Comp Rules expound on the strict definition of shuffling more than this single line.

Some people get all goofy about this due to the investment aspects of Magic or their own weird "i donwanna touch you" stuff. To avoid any hassle if you are such a person, I'd encourage you to talk to the Head Judge.

As for the actual application of the shuffling requirements, as follows:

21. Shuffling
    Shuffling must be done so that the faces of the cards cannot be seen. Regardless of the method used to shuffle, players� decks must be sufficiently randomized. Each time players shuffle their deck, they must present their deck to their opponent for additional shuffling and/or cutting. Players may request to have a Judge shuffle their cards rather than pass that duty to their opponent, this request will be honored at a Judge�s discretion. By presenting their decks to their opponents, players are stating that their decks are correct, legal, and sufficiently randomized.

After decks are presented and accepted, any player who does not believe his or her opponent has made a reasonable effort to sufficiently randomize his or her deck must notify a Judge. The Head Judge has final authority to determine whether a deck has been sufficiently randomized. The Head Judge also has the authority to determine if a player has used reasonable effort to randomize his or her deck. If the Head Judge believes that either the deck has not been sufficiently randomized or that a player has not made a reasonable effort to randomize his or her deck, the player will be subject to the appropriate provisions of the DCI Penalty Guidelines.

At Competitive and Professional level events players must always shuffle their opponents� decks at the beginning of games. The Head Judge can mandate the shuffling of opponents� decks at Regular Level Events as long as he or she announces this at the beginning of the tournament. If a shuffling effect takes place during gameplay, players may shuffle and must cut their opponents� decks after the shuffling effect is completed.

Once players shuffle and/or cut their opponents� decks, the cards are returned to their original owners. If the opponent has shuffled the player�s deck, that player may make one final cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

So basically, pile shuffle your opponent's deck every time he fetches a land and then cut their foils to the bottom because they're stiffer than usual cards?

The language about shuffling is in the tournament rules to attempt to get players to take it seriously; it's not enforced. Really though, you should at minimum be shuffling your opponent at the beginning of games. The more people that shuffle, the less shuffle cheaters can get away with. During games, Scarne cut (middle moved to top) at minimum, ideally shuffle.

As it stands, a three-pile cut or a second cut would apparently be considered a shuffle. Neither the DCI rules nor the MtG Comp Rules expound on the strict definition of shuffling more than this single line.
    A Scarne cut is still a cut per the rule. Also note that there's a difference betweeen shuffling and randomization, which are defined separately. The line you quoted is actually an artifact from back in the stone age when you were only allowed to cut your opponent's deck, not shuffle.

So basically, pile shuffle your opponent's deck every time he fetches a land and then cut their foils to the bottom because they're stiffer than usual cards?
    Piling is not shuffling. You still need to do real shuffling if you pile.

Piling is nice for counting decks though. I used to get probably half a game win per event from counting decks.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Piling is not shuffling.
    Don't the rules for what constitutes a cut say that this is, in fact, considered shuffling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sorry, I meant not randomization.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

So, if piling is not shuffling, what IS shuffling? Do I get away with a pile shuffle leaving foils in one pile, then one really clunky overhand shuffle, returning the deck back to guy saying "properly randomized, enjoy your foils"? I know it's technically wrong (it wasn't randomized) and both morally and rules-wise bad (I cheated), but does it fullfill the semantics of word "shuffle"?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand quoting rules text View Post
    Once players shuffle and/or cut their opponents' decks, the cards are returned to their original owners. If the opponent has shuffled the player's deck, that player may make one final cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    The line you quoted is actually an artifact from back in the stone age when you were only allowed to cut your opponent's deck, not shuffle.
    I thought the rules had been changed about getting to cut after your opponent has shuffled your library?
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-08-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Turns out I was actually asking a question!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I thought the rules had been changed about getting to cut after your opponent has shuffled your library?
    The cut did get removed, years ago if I recall. He must've been quoting a pretty old version of the rules.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information