Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: The Brainstorm Blues

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal: The Brainstorm Blues

In episode 26 of #EverydayEternal Matt Pavlic (sdematt), Julian Knab (@itsJulian23), and Jacob Kory (@MTGKoby) discuss two things key to the long term existence of Legacy. First, Matt rebuts a recent article claiming that Brainstorm is too dominant in Legacy. Later the guys discuss the recently announced Grand Prix schedule for 2015 which includes 50% more Legacy events than last year! From there, the cast discuss their recent attempts to break the format, including a new Lands deck for Jacob and a revamped New Horizons deck for Matt.

(Duration: 1:17:16 — 70.7MB)

0 : 00 : 51 The omnipresence of Brainstorm
    0 : 10 : 51 Organized Play Announcement: 3 Legacy Grand Prixs for 2015 Season!
    0 : 29 : 37 Plays of the Week
    0 : 39 : 26 What are you playing now, and why?
    1 : 06 : 58 Underplayed cards
    1 : 07 : 46 General tomfoolery and outro

Other Show Notes

- Leaving Legacy for a Modern Mistress, by Jeff Hoogland
    - North American Defeatism and the Dominance of Brainstorm
    - 2015 Organized Play Announcement

Lands deck that Jacob Kory played:

3 Tropical Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Verdant Catacomb
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Karakas
    1 Thespian Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Tolaria West
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Bojuka Bog

3 Intuition
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Exploration
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Smokestack
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Zuran Orb
    4 Mox Diamond

SB:
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Cursed Totem
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: The Brainstorm Blues

I really enjoyed the Podcast, keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to next one

As for the German card names, nothing beats the: Wurmspiralmachine! (German cards should have an exclamation mark at the end, just for additional flavor when pronouncing ) = Wurmcoil Engine

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I remember someone asking for an episode on Aggro in Legacy. We decided to postpone this topic as it didn't fit in this time and would require quite a bit more volume than doing a short single subject on it.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I'll see all you guys at GP Seattle!

Also I used to play Armageddon in Elves. It beats up control decks pretty damn well.

My play of the week: Blocking a Lord of Atlantis with Visionary, bouncing Visionary with Symbiote, and aiming the Symbiote untap at a Phantasmal Image. #blowout

Somebody should make an app that translates MTG phrases into German. I would use it as a soundboard at regular REL events.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    I really enjoyed the Podcast, keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to next one

As for the German card names, nothing beats the: Wurmspiralmachine! (German cards should have an exclamation mark at the end, just for additional flavor when pronouncing ) = Wurmcoil Engine
    This makes me wanna build an all German MUD or Workshop deck.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Lodestone Golem is close to Magnetogolem. Which would make for a killer alter.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Does anyone know why these Lands decks don't play Candelabra with Academy Ruins/Gamble (instead of Intuition) to search it out? It gives you so many options for cutting a land. You get virtual copies of Maze, Port, Grove, whatever.

I have fooled around with such a build, but I am not in the know for all the matchups and such. Can anyone clear that up for me?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Does anyone know why these Lands decks don't play Candelabra with Academy Ruins/Gamble (instead of Intuition) to search it out? It gives you so many options for cutting a land. You get virtual copies of Maze, Port, Grove, whatever.

I have fooled around with such a build, but I am not in the know for all the matchups and such. Can anyone clear that up for me?
    From a theoretical standpoint, Candelabra offers more uses from Maze of Ith and Port.
    From my own experience so far, there had been a lot of mana chokes for this deck. I found myself severely constrained on mana for Port + Loam + Tolaria West tutoring + PFires recursion. The cases where I had enough mana was because of Exploration. In all other cases, I was wishing I could continue to accelerate.

I don't think Candelabra offers any value in this deck. It's already good enough to just push for a quick Dark Depths as a kill-con, and that should probably be emphasized more.

I think the changes for the list I played would be:
    -1 Smokestack
    -1 Creeping Tar Pit
    +1 EE
    +1 Thespian Stage (going to 2)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Excellent podcast!

I've put together some graphs on SCG Open Attendance, and I've expanded it to include Standard, double Standard, and Modern as well. I'm including it since you made some reference to SCG attendance figures for different events:

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I don't see how it's disingenuous to say that "blue is the best" when non-winning decks can run blue? But I do see how it's disingenuous to say, "Brainstorm, Ponder, etc.." when what people are actually saying is "Brainstorm."

Also I have presented information on card/deck performance within top 16s several times and people have ignored it. The Hatfields, when they had the data, showed that the blue decks do in fact have good EV generally speaking and the "cute" decks like Nic Fit or sporadic fan favorites like Affinity and Burn, don't.

So yeah this is basically a pile of awful arguments, "Americans are reluctant to play bad decks that are disfavored, if they don't want to play blue." Uhhh, okay.

Ugh wow I thought people were done pretending that Brainstorm was such a skill testing awesomely skillful card, what the fuck.

Oh okay it's the stuff about how Americans don't innovate that we demonstrated was stupid bullshit in the other thread, I'm glad this could be repeated. Wait this just sounds like a quote actually, is this the same guy? Is this plagiarism or just ignoring the fact that all these decks you're claiming were developed in Europe weren't?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Excellent podcast!

I've put together some graphs on SCG Open Attendance, and I've expanded it to include Standard, double Standard, and Modern as well. I'm including it since you made some reference to SCG attendance figures for different events:

*image cut*
    I think I asked this on Reddit, too, but is there anyway I could get the source data for this from you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    You never add an "s" to "Grand Prix"
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    That's right. You add many "s"s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    While accurate, the post is misplaced. The knowledge shared shall not produce a relevant addition to the observable condition of man.

To wit: Never spite eat a stale lava cake at a crestfallen restaurant.

That nugget of know-how will save wallets, and hopefully lives.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Death and Taxes is credited to Finn...who as far as I know lives in Florida. Built and kept working on the deck throughout it's lifetime. So why the blame on the silly uninnovative Americans? Sure it was adopted more readily in Europe but credit where credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    While accurate, the post is misplaced. The knowledge shared shall not produce a relevant addition to the observable condition of man.

To wit: Never spite eat a stale lava cake at a crestfallen restaurant.

That nugget of know-how will save wallets, and hopefully lives.
    Jaco posts the titles, so, I blame Jaco ;)

Sure, I'll give credit where credit was due, but I believe it was phrased specifically not just who created a deck, but also where it was more popularised. If that's not what I had said in the cast, it's what was said in the article.

-Matt

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Great episode this time (well I'm usually very happy with every episode!). I think it's great that you took the time, Matt, to write your rebuttal article.

In terms of the North America vs Europe thing it feels to me like much of peoples' impression on the NA scene is based upon the SCG-open circuit. While an awesome vessel for the format it does seem like a majority of participants prefer the luke warm comfort and safety of middleground, creature based strategies, i.e. delver and/or blade decks.

A few casts ago (I believe when you had Carsten Kotter on - and btw when can we have him back? ) a point was brought up by - I think - Sean and/or Carsten about the reason for this difference being how many participants in the Sunday opens are dedicated standard players (as opposed to a larger gathering of dedicated eternal players in Europe) and therefore prefer decks that play out more like standard, i.e. casting creatures and turning them sideways.

I think this leads to an overrepresentation at any given open of these decks. Leading to an apparent abundance of them in top-8s as well, skewing the picture making them seem like strictly better decks. Nearly all of these middleground decks are 2-3 colour blue decks. This is Again something that could go some way towards explaining why there is a perception that "Brainstorm decks are the best decks in legacy".

I remember (and this is even after Thomas Enevoldsen and Michael Bonde put two Death and Taxes decks in the Strasbourg GP top-8, Thomas of course winning it) the commentators on the SCG-stream being pretty vocal in their belittlement of the deck... In particular I remember Cedric Phillips (whom I really like as a commentator) comment on a Death and Taxes vs Esperblade match that "talent beats synergy" or something to that effect. Basically hinting at how this deck with all its bad cards (they seem to have a consensus on the commentator team that Flickerwisp, Phyrexian Revoker etc are bad cards in a vacuum) doesn't really stand up to a deck filled with such individually powerful cards as Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Dark Confidant, Brainstorm etc. I think these sentiments permeate.

I'm not really sure why it is, that decks such as Miracles, Elves and Death and Taxes (only one of which has islands) saw so much play, for so comparetively long a period of time in Europe while being on the fringes in the US. But there seems to be a trend right now, that something happens on the European legacy scene... and then 3-6 months down the road something similar happens in the US. Watching the last open finals from Dallas which had Bug Delver vs Miracles felt a bit like... "oh yeah, that was what was happening at GP Paris 6 months ago"
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

You are hand-waiving together a pretty huge distinction!

"I've noticed that Europeans are more likely to be innovative and try to come up with new decks, Europeans developed decks p, q, r, s and t, while Americans only developed decks u and v. Maybe that's why Americans are unhappy with the metagame."

"q, r, s, are all American developed and t is just an Extended port, so really the only European deck in your list is p."

"Well what I mean is that they play those decks more."

The argument that Europeans are more likely to play non-Brainstorm decks is a VERY different argument than the one that Europeans are more likely to try non-Brainstorm decks. The latter is pretty demonstrably wrong by virtue of the fact that almost all of the top tier decks have originated in the US.

And if you're going to give credit where credit is due, it'd be nice if you actually did that and edited your article and added a note to the podcast to reflect that the decks you say where developed in Europe actually weren't and have at best been "popularized" there.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Julian your burn on Matt of "Everything in Canada has to be indoors cause if you go outside you'll be eaten by a polar bear or freeze" was a thing of beauty. Who said German's can't make the comedy

Mar 2010
    geneva, the frozen waste

usa VS europe : the E penis chalenge

I don't want to add to the flame beetwin the new world VS the old world, but ...

People should stop refering at the SCG meta as the us meta.

Reading is tech :
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    "Three Steps Forward, and Two Steps Back: North American Defeatism and the Dominance of Brainstorm," a rebuttal by Everyday Eternal host Matt Pavlic.

Look at the current decks in the Legacy metagame on a world scale – where did they originate? Who designed them? Where were decks tuned and popularized? Miracles, Shardless BUG, Imperial Painter, Patriot Delver, Elves, Death and Taxes, Nic Fit, OmniTell, and others are all European creations or saw many more finishes in Europe before people caught on in America.
    Yeah everybody is friend now ! The decks were created by USA citizens but the SCG crowd ignored them.

Now we can get on why brainstorm is broken and why delver and nemesis are okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Magic would be a lot more interesting if more Punks played it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Wow, you're right!

Thread Information