Thread: GP Portland 15-man Sanctioned Tournament

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

GP Portland 15-man Sanctioned Tournament

Just got home from GP Portland with thoughts of power filling my head. We managed to fire a 15 person sanctioned vintage tournament today! At a GP! I just finished my set of power + vault so I was raring to battle, and it turns out there's a Portland local (Tim) who just has 7 vintage decks on him. Simultaneously. Somehow 7 more players came out of the woodworks (although most of their decks were powered 1996 tabletop casual decks), and we fired a 4-rounder.

I played Carsten Kotter's (Mon,Goblin Chief) Oath Control deck and it felt very solid. I felt bad for playing the Vintage equivalent of Legacy Show and Derp, but #winning. Except I didn't actually win. Lost to BUG Fish - he always had a Decay or Claim for my Vault or Oath, a follow-up Cage, and Trygon Predator sealed it. Beat Merfolks - Abrupt Decay is real good and their manabase is real bad. Lost to Dredge - I Ravenous Trapped him 3 times and played Needle game 3, but he Unmasked my counter and Claimed the Needle and Bazaar powered through the Traps while I stumbled on mana and action. I think I could have waited on pulling the trigger on Trap, but I'm not really sure how to play it. Should I Trap him as soon as a creature is about to enter the battlefield? Or should I wait?

Still undecided what to play for Eternal weekend, but this deck is for sure a contender. BUG Fish seems very, very good though.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Re: GP Portland 15-man Sanctioned Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Somehow 7 more players came out of the woodworks (although most of their decks were powered 1996 tabletop casual decks), and we fired a 4-rounder.
    Hey, I don't know if you could call the Vesuvan Doppleganger/Clone/Copy Artifact deck "casual." It wrecked Shops pretty hard

Thread Information