Thread: Vintage Combo Elves

Re: Vintage Combo Elves

4 Swan Songs with a single Tropical is very greedy with how much LD there is in the format. Same with a single Bayou and 5 black cards in the side.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    4 Swan Songs with a single Tropical is very greedy with how much LD there is in the format. Same with a single Bayou and 5 black cards in the side.
    To be fair, Deathrite and Birchlore are also colored sources, and Quirion Ranger can protect either land from Strip/Waste. That, and the chances that they aren't hitting Gaea's Cradle instead are fairly slim. So it isn't all that greedy, though I'd consider a second Tropical in general given a total of six blue cards counting the maindeck power.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Survival of the Fittest can easily replace Natural Order and Craterhoof engine. There seems to be too many engines in the list; focus on the more powerful ones:

Skullclamp
    Glimpse of Nature
    and
    Creature tutors (GSZ or Survival)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Honestly, this has been tried before to a less than stellar result. IMHO the archetype is a nombo in Vintage.

But if you must...

The list you posted is essentially unplayable in this format.

You need to take a hard look at your local meta game and widely accepted format archetypes and go from there.

From my perspective you really need to figure out if Caverns -> Reclamation Sage is superior to Deathrite Shaman -> Abrupt Decay.

If you focus on Glimpse I'd say Caverns - Sage is the better option. Koby is right in that you need to pick an engine and focus. I'd argue you really do not want more than 1/2 Skullclamp. I definitely think Natural Order is a mistake and Zenith is questionable. The only benefit this deck has in Vintage is it's ability to vomit dudes on the board unfortunately this is bound to run straight into a Toxic Deluge/Oath of Druids.
    Last edited by socialite; 09-02-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Thread Information