Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Months of TNN

Re: 10 Months of TNN

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTron View Post
    Which explains all those "Ban Circling Vultures" threads I'm always never seeing before.
    I was unaware that a flipped Delver had the same BS "beginning of upkeep trigger" that afflicts Circling Vultures. A crap card from Weatherlight isn't the foundation on which to base an argument and be taken seriously. A flipped 1/1 human into a 2/1 flyer would've been much better. A 10 turn clock versus 7, and it dies to just about 'anything' stronger than a wet fart.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Goyf is not that good anymore. It is all situational...
    And yet, 3/4 of the DTB creature decks are Goyf decks; the other being D&T(I.E. non green, often running Mirran Crusader (for goyf) and Batterskull.)

He's objectively excellent and anyone saying something to the contrary is missing perspective somewhere. I do like other beaters at times, but to say Goyf isn't that good is to fail to understand the format or even magic on a fundamental level. He breaks the manacurve in serious way to the point that despite the extreme creature-power creep over time, he's top-dog over the course of an entire decade plus.

Other cards are good; but they aren't Goyf good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Just because the answer is not the one you want is no reason to shoot the messenger. That's a black and white answer from the mother ship. Snap should have been red. Whatever else you want to think, that's the reality of the situation.

Anyway, your looking for a fight, so I think I will just leave until you go somewhere else.
    It's not an answer so much as the opinion of one person. He say's he feels it more red but offers nothing else to back that up. I still think Snappy fits blue's slice of the pie for the reasons I've stated above, but I didn't mean to come off as rude or like I was looking for a fight. I was trying to point out why people shouldn't ever take Maro's word for something, and nothing I said was aimed directly at you in any way.
    Last edited by AndyTron; 09-27-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I was unaware that a flipped Delver had the same BS "beginning of upkeep trigger" that afflicts Circling Vultures. A crap card from Weatherlight isn't the foundation on which to base an argument and be taken seriously. A flipped 1/1 human into a 2/1 flyer would've been much better. A 10 turn clock versus 7, and it dies to just about 'anything' stronger than a wet fart.
    Read the original post. He was responding to other people saying that delver wasn't that broken because of the drawback by claiming that a flying 3/2 is too strong to print regardless of any downside. I was also making a joke referencing Jelly's previous post, and not making a serious argument. Relax guy.
    Last edited by AndyTron; 09-27-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

a flying 3/2 is too strong to print regardless of any downside.
    When did anyone say "regardless of any and every downside ever"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

What are you talking about? The post above me stated exactly what? That delver should have been a 2/1 or 2/2? The point I was trying to make is that if it was, people would still complain about it by saying the exact same things they're saying now. People don't like it being good and color-bleed is just impossible to either prove or disprove so that's the angle they usually go with. Red gave flashback on exactly one card and only to sorceries. Blue has returned instants to the hard, and allowed them to be played for free from the yard on many many cards. A fair amount of those work with sorceries as well as instants. It actually make more sense to say that red broke the color pie here, but it's debatable. Saying that all colors have gotten flash (although I can't think of any black cards at the moment) isn't the same as saying that all cards should be getting flash. Wizards usually say one color "gets" a mechanic, another has it as secondary, and one more as tertiary. The other two colors aren't supposed to have them, but that doesn't mean they never do. Blue has flash because it's the tricky color. Even if red also gets it sometimes, it's more red then blue. Snapcaster is not more red then blue. At most they're equal, but I don't agree with that either. People just don't like it being a good blue card.
    It's pretty easy to prove that people don't like it being too good because it's out of flavor for blue: I don't like it for that very reason. I'm pretty sure I'm a people.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's not an answer so much as the opinion of one person. He say's he feels it more red but offers nothing else to back that up. I still think Snappy fits blue's slice of the pie for the reasons I've stated above, but I didn't mean to come off as rude or like I was looking for a fight. I was trying to point out why people shouldn't ever take Maro's word for something, and nothing I said was aimed directly at you in any way.
    I guess I am so use to dealing with IBA being so dismissive and then aggressive I forget not everyone is the same. Sorry.

On the topic, Maro is not the greatest of people to trust, but in this case he is not lying. Please point to a blue card that gives Flashback to other cards that is not Snap. In the Red colour pie you have Past in Flames and Recoup. The effect is a Red one. Maro, on top of exciting cards only provides more evidence to that.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2013
    Texas

On the topic, Maro is not the greatest of people to trust, but in this case he is not lying. Please point to a blue card that gives Flashback to other cards that is not Snap. In the Red colour pie you have Past in Flames and Recoup. The effect is a Red one. Maro, on top of exciting cards only provides more evidence to that.
    Dralnu, Lich Lord is UB. But that is the equivalent of saying that blue should get Nevermore because Meddling Mage is half-blue. (That effect on a bear should be mono white but I digress, pros love blue.) And even then, black had the ability before Dralnu was printed twice (Yawgmoth's Will, Sins of the Past).

But even black was the wrong choice. Snapcaster and similar effects should be red because of the "use it or lose it" nature of the card. If Snapcaster said "When ~ ETB, choose target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard. You may play that card this turn. If you do, exile it." it would functionally be the same and the wording would be clearly red. (Sort of like Sins of the Past/YawgWill. But at least it's excusable in the traditional graveyard-monkeying color from Alpha).

Granted, we can't unprint anything, but it would be nice if in the future R&D wouldn't bend the color pie so often for blue while resisting even the slightest bends in other colors, and further to that explore the areas of design space in the other colors that could make them more objectively powerful. Treasure Cruise is the latest example of "here's how we can use a mechanic to make this crazy blue ability more 'balanced.'" (like Temporal Mastery). Delve Demonic Tutor or Ferocious Plow Under would've been cool.

At this point if a person is really concerned about TNN's presence in the meta it is almost certainly due to an over-engineered local meta with a player or maybe even a few of them playing multiple TNN in a control or midrange shell.

There are lists that just destroy that kind of list on a regular basis, like Burn and D&T, but if those lists aren't being played much, if the meta is a control/midrange/combo meta with a lot of homebrews waiting around to get wrecked then TNN is going to seem just godly at times.

In most metas it is Delver of Secrets and Terminus that is causing the big blue over-run. Those are the really frustrating cards to deal with at this point. They give blue a heavy presence in aggro, aggro control and control. They more than any other cards are responsible for the top 8's we see at this point.

Jan 2011
    York

Im going to agree with fool of a took and say tnn just changed the face of removal its not as oppressive as it was originally hyped to be. Sure the card is unfun unflavorful and off color but I think the meta has more diversity to be gained by removing terminus then it does tnn. Terminus killed archetypes tnn just forces certain card selections.

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Im going to agree with fool of a took and say tnn just changed the face of removal its not as oppressive as it was originally hyped to be. Sure the card is unfun unflavorful and off color but I think the meta has more diversity to be gained by removing terminus then it does tnn. Terminus killed archetypes tnn just forces certain card selections.
    Just to fortify the point you just made, ways to remove TNN:

1. Golgari Charm
    2. Zealous Persecution
    3. Toxic Deluge
    4. Terminus
    5. Diabolic Edict
    6. Marsh Casualties
    7. Pernicious Deed
    8. Innocent Blood
    9. Etc, etc, etc. (4cc sweepers, ways to interfere with islands and mana in general, weird tech that nobody saw coming but man is TNN a drag when it emerges)

Ok, so that list is all black or white, what can other colors do to manage TNN that is Legacy playable?

1. Engineered Explosives (green and red have lots of ways to generate a 3rd color of mana)
    2. REB or Pyroblast TNN when it is on the stack as a spell
    3. Skullcrack the opponent when he has blocked with TNN
    4. Fly over the TNN
    5. Fly over the TNN carrying equipment
    6. Gain Life (want to make a TNN player cry? Just keep gaining life on them)
    7. Play an effective strategy that is not derailed by a land-bound blocker
    8. Etc, etc, etc. (If you're getting beat consistently by a 3 power critter with protection from you that can't block any type of evasion change up what you are playing because the 3 power critter is not the problem here)

Read the original post. He was responding to other people saying that delver wasn't that broken because of the drawback by claiming that a flying 3/2 is too strong to print regardless of any downside. I was also making a joke referencing Jelly's previous post, and not making a serious argument. Relax guy.
    Point taken. The jelly comment might've been deleted. I has hate for delver, but am fine with Flying Men. Circling Vultures is an acceptable piece of cardboard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    It's pretty easy to prove that people don't like it being too good because it's out of flavor for blue: I don't like it for that very reason. I'm pretty sure I'm a people.
    You are a person, and amidst other persons, would qualify as a group of people.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I realize this is a thread for people to vent about a lame card, but it's seriously not an issue. It's three mana, two blue, run in only the greediest of mana-bases, and can't make the cut in any of the top decks except *some* team america builds. He's so easy to deal with by simply racing or running an answer. D&T simply added more Flyers, and boom; they're a DTB.

It's an obnoxious creature that you have to mildly hedge against when building a deck. All it takes, however, is any flying dude and a sword and bam; you have an anti-TNN nuke. Scryb Ranger, Birds of Paradise, Lingering Souls, etc..

Further, you can stall or race pretty well with DRS, you can race with just Lingering Souls or Young Pyromancer, Tombstalker, Howling Mandrills. Most of these cards are cheap and require mild build-around but are effective. Even a Rancor Hexproof build or a regular Zoo build will do you fine. Burn them! Go over the top!

For those of you who hate Blue and TNN, you can basically run Zoo and you'll be fine. You'll still fold to Elves pre-side, same with Dredge, Storm, S&T; but that's what half of the fair decks do anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

TNN itself is not the problem, if there is one. It would be the support he has in the decks he is ran. TNN by himself? Either a nigh-unstoppable clock or a nigh-impenetrable wall: not that scary. With Batterskull? Might as well read "you win chosen damage race". Sword of Fire and Ice or Jitte? Not as much of a win as with Batterskull, but they're cheaper to play/equip and provide utility in the form of removal and/or card advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    TNN itself is not the problem, if there is one. It would be the support he has in the decks he is ran. TNN by himself? Either a nigh-unstoppable clock or a nigh-impenetrable wall: not that scary. With Batterskull? Might as well read "you win chosen damage race". Sword of Fire and Ice or Jitte? Not as much of a win as with Batterskull, but they're cheaper to play/equip and provide utility in the form of removal and/or card advantage.
    Jitte is worse than Batterskull. Even with SFM fetching and deploying Batterskull it takes time to make that work. With Jitte the combo can be up and running on turn 4 and then the board de-stabilizes in the TNN + Jitte's favor in a big way. Late game there's almost always an answer for Batterskull available and if there isn't then it's Batterskull beating you not TNN. SoFI and Batterskull are about the same because both take a real commitment to deploy.

T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Hymn, T3 TNN, T4 Jitte and equip Jitte is about as bad as TNN gets at this point. It takes a great opening hand to do it too.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Jitte is worse than Batterskull. Even with SFM fetching and deploying Batterskull it takes time to make that work. With Jitte the combo can be up and running on turn 4 and then the board de-stabilizes in the TNN + Jitte's favor in a big way. Late game there's almost always an answer for Batterskull available and if there isn't then it's Batterskull beating you not TNN. SoFI and Batterskull are about the same because both take a real commitment to deploy.

T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Hymn, T3 TNN, T4 Jitte and equip Jitte is about as bad as TNN gets at this point. It takes a great opening hand to do it too.
    Thing is, say I'm playing Elves. I'm not actually super scared of Jitte. Worried, yes, and I have to respect it for sure. But I can handle Jitte and it can really give the opponent something nice and powerful to do. TNN by itself is whatever because I'm playing a combo deck and can just trample over it (though again, Jitte games can be interactive and tense. TNN games are just about ignoring Mr. Uninteraction). TNN+Jitte, eww.

Just a classic case of a fun card and a shit card again, and people suggesting the shit card is not a problem, do away with the fun card. (or at least the more interesting one of the two in this case)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Honestly I don't believe TNN or whatever sword he's carrying was ever a problem. Neither is SFM if ya want to take into consideration how it's pretty much a staple in any list with TNN and equipments. All I was saying with my previous comment is that TNN itself isn't scary by itself, but it's hardly ever ran without some Merfolk lord in Merfolk or some equipment and SFM in a Blade deck.

Thus, it's not exactly a case of a strong card, but a strong interaction between multiple cards. And if one were to be banned for whatever reason (either SFM or TNN, simply because banning equipment would be futile), you'd have to choose between a rather ubiquoutous tutor that has enabled several decks over the years, or a rather dull clock that, as the data provided suggests, has yet to have as big of an impact as SFM has.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I'm working on month 11 right now and only one of the top 6 decks even has TNN. Miracles, Elves, Death and Taxes, Deathblade, Jund, and Infect are all a little away from the pack right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I'm working on month 11 right now and only one of the top 6 decks even has TNN. Miracles, Elves, Death and Taxes, Deathblade, Jund, and Infect are all a little away from the pack right now.
    Jund really isn't top 6 at this point. It's a very powerful list but consistency problems keep it from being tier 1. If you want a list to go 6-2 with Jund is your best bet overall but if you want to top 8 a large event it isn't really good enough. That doesn't mean it won't top 8 but it takes a lot of luck with matchups and draws to make that happen.

Thread Information