Thread: Deck Tracker - An Anti-Theft Tracking Device

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

DeckTracker - An Anti-Theft Tracking Device

I spotted this via Twitter while on the bus to work this morning.

I'm incredibly careful with my cards, but I'm still worried about (for example) turning away when a friend taps my shoulder and my Legacy deck is swiped from the table in that second. There are countless scenarios like this that cause concern regardless of the vigilance you maintain. It only takes a second or two for something to disappear into the sea of bodies at a Grand Prix.

This won't solve the issue; nothing will - where there is gain to be had from theft, thieves will exist. But if this increases the chance of prevention or the likelihood of me retrieving a deck I've spent years building by even a small amount then in my eyes it's worth it every single penny.

I've been searching for a product like this for 3 years now. It doesn't exist. My current plan consists of mounting a small 120db receiver to my deckbox in a dice compartment which can then be enabled with a button on my person.

This accomplishes the same thing and does so much more.

As eternal players with (let's be honest) a pretty disgusting amount of funds invested in pieces of cardboard, I think they deserve our support for trying to improve the security of our community.
    Last edited by vercadium; 09-11-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Nov 2011
    San Francisco

Re: Deck Tracker - An Anti-Theft Tracking Device

And then they take the deck out of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Also, Burn, eat a dick sandwich. I got this for my Thopters board, just so I had an answer worth more than their deck, even if it was pimped out a bit.
    Gegengewicht, Weissagekreisel - Du bist dran.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

I talked with the marketer for the product at the GP. He doesn't know jack about bluetooth and the creator doesn't either. Don't bother, there are better products on the market.
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    I talked with the marketer for the product at the GP. He doesn't know jack about bluetooth and the creator doesn't either. Don't bother, there are better products on the market.
    That's fair, you'd expect the owner to have a complete understanding. Although, that said, I guess if the person responsible for the technical side of the product (perhaps they're using a consultant) has an understanding, then it doesn't matter.

I honestly haven't seen any alternative products that come close to the functionality that this one offers; if you have, please do mention them.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Am I the only one that saw a whole bunk of Power and had the thought "This feels like a trap"?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

HI, JELLY MAYS HERE. TIRED OF HAVING YOUR DECK STOLEN OR EVEN JUST TIRED OF LOOKING FOR IT AROUND YOUR ROOM?

Anyway, although the description seems dumb, I'd probably use the hell out of it if they actually got it off the ground. But if the creators really do know jack about shit, then I'm not holding my breath.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If they or someone else just integrated this into a deck box, in line with the old Ion style boxes, maybe even with a tubular locking lid, small internal battery compartment to power the thing, all done well without adding too much weight, I think they'd be spot on.

As it is, the thing you put into an existing box seems like a band-aid solution at best. But moving in the right direction, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

the p9 thing is scammy as hell. if you fork over another 230.000 dollars, the p9 will be given away.

good deal?

The item itself seems ok. features i liked:

1 year battrey time
    1 both your phone and the item can sound the alarm. very handy, since there is little way to tell if person A or B has it in their bags.

wondering how many misfires happen? what if my phone is on silent? etc.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

This product is more costly than Tile.
    This product is parodying the Tile promo video.

[video of Deck tracker promo]
    [video of Tile promo]

Just watch your stuff.
    If you're ready to pay $100 for bluetooth sensors, then you're more than capable of watching your $2,000 deck.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I went all the way and actually marked all the cards in my petdeck. There's no way in hell anyone is going to resell them given what is written on the backs.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Hustle View Post
    I went all the way and actually marked all the cards in my petdeck. There's no way in hell anyone is going to resell them given what is written on the backs.
    If I ever come across a Force of Will with a massive dong on the back, I'll let you know I found it.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Am I the only one that saw a whole bunk of Power and had the thought "This feels like a trap"?
    I looked at it and thought "how the hell are you gonna arrange P10 in two rows of 5 and not put all the Moxes together?!?!"
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I actually looked into this too when Pastimes decided that hiring a few guys and roping off an area for vintage/legacy events at Gencon was "too cost prohibitive." Sure, we can all watch our own shit, but that became an impossible task when people hovered around you. People lost their decks during their matches.

My search led me to bluetooth leash type devices you listed, child locators, and luggage/key locators. They were either not loud enough, had a subscription fee, had poor range/sensitivity, etc. I was also scared of randomly setting off the device and getting my ass kicked for no reason. No ideal device exists right now and your little contraption sounds close. My solution right now is not to attend poorly run events.
    Looking for fbb duals (preferably German)
    -----------------------------------------------
    2nd place Gencon Vintage Champs 2009
    39th place GP Chicago 2009

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by dakkon View Post
    My solution right now is not to attend poorly run events.
    I like this idea best.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Unfortunately, some of us can't avoid Past Times :(
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

This. I'm not gonna take a deck in the thousands to some venue in the trap, let alone go to hotels in equally sketchy neigborhoods for events and expect my shit to be there later.

Thread Information