Page 129 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 8556

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

I was pondering - it's sad we don't play a great bunch of clerics (or that Vet Ex & DRS aren't clerics and that most decent/good clerics aren't GSZ'able). Starlit Sanctum is such a sweet card. Also, most (yes, I know, I'm skipping over Mother of Runes) playable clerics start @3 mana+. So there's that.

May 2015
    Minneapolis, MN

Finally got to play a few games with Meren in my Junk list against a friend on Shardless BUG. Won 3 out of 4 pretty handedly. Anyway, holy buckets is Meren good. He kept insisting that I had to have experience counters to get creatures out of the yard, but then I read it to him again and his response was "holy shit thats gross." Even without experience counters she is good. Just getting a vet back to my hand and pay a measly 1 mana for a chump blocker and ramp every turn is worth it. I kind of just want to sell my Recurring Nightmare now and get my money back.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tilzinger View Post
    Even without experience counters she is good.
    Hmm, where did I hear that before..? Lol

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Can't wait to try her out! First reaction was 'woah, big potential'. Now with these reports back of how good she is, I think we've found ourselves a new lady friend
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Can't wait to try her out! First reaction was 'woah, big potential'. Now with these reports back of how good she is, I think we've found ourselves a new lady friend
    Junk w/ Meren -> Junk in the Trunk Fit?

Thanks Ralf, I have considered strangleroot but am really after the life gain.

Yes Meren is such a house.

@Echelon, I was playing with highmarket but every time I drew it I wish it was a phyrexian tower, So I made it a phyrexian tower. And I think you're going a bit over the top on the sac lands, 10 is a lot. I'd cut them before the 3rd forest if you want to keep getting lands with your second/third vet explorer.

And I generally think 21+dryad arbor is too few lands, I'm looking for veteran explorer and a sac outlet in my opening hand I don't want to risk not having land drops there to go with it. Hence the utility lands, mane lands and card draw though to mitigate.

Finally, no one got any love for ob Nixilis, reignited? I think I like him more than Ajani, he always draws you card and he can defend you too.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Quote Originally Posted by Jain_Mor View Post
    Thanks Ralf, I have considered strangleroot but am really after the life gain

Finally, no one got any love for ob Nixilis, reignited? I think I like him more than Ajani, he always draws you card and he can defend you too.

Ajani is better for making everything a threat. Ob doesn't always come down and kill something. I tried him and I was happier with ajani. Garruk is still an option but GGG is hard sometimes. I cut pw all together for now. Meren is my pw atm.

Ricardio, don't agree on Ajani over Ob, but do agree on Meren

Also, do you mind flicking back a page, I asked you some questions regarding online legacy play, if you'd be so kind :)

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Would you guys say that Meren is better than Recurring Nightmare?

If so, I think I just might have to make a cut. I was initially underwhelmed with Meren, but you guys are really talking her up so I might have to try again.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Unless playing a tutor to get nightmare, it is basically easier to play Meren.
    At least Meren does bringing something on an empty board.
    Meren is GSZable, Decay and bolt proof.

And if you are gravehated, Meren is a legendary 3/4 for CMC 4.

But to get out the best of its ability, I truly think a POD shell is where I would start.

Be cautious to miss the experience counter trigger G2 & G3 to get around Containment priest and Grafdigger's cage.

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Unless playing a tutor to get nightmare, it is basically easier to play Meren.
    At least Meren does bringing something on an empty board.
    Meren is GSZable, Decay and bolt proof.

And if you are gravehated, Meren is a legendary 3/4 for CMC 4.

But to get out the best of its ability, I truly think a POD shell is where I would start.

Be cautious to miss the experience counter trigger G2 & G3 to get around Containment priest and Grafdigger's cage.
    Dang magic online, impossible to miss triggers :(

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Dang magic online, impossible to miss triggers :(
    Too bad.
    Get rid of cage or priest, then

This is an old revamped list (from Qweerios) including Meren (instead of Resto angel) and a few black nasty b.
    I'm still pondering about the 2nd veteran (with 1 more forest and 1 less fetch like I was used to be playing) but this means I would have to cut either fleshbag or shriekmaw.
    Anyway, my friends are sweating hard at the moment.

Spoiler: Meren is a dirty b.

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Plains
    1 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

1 Eternal Witness
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Veteran Explorer
    1 Wall of Blossoms
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Birthing Pod

4 Abrupt Decay

2 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

SB: 1 Nahiri, the Lithomancer
    SB: 2 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    SB: 2 Liliana of the Veil
    SB: 2 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    Last edited by Ralf; 11-30-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Jan 2011
    York

Being stone cold to a glacial chasm without nightmare worries me but it seems like people are loving it being on meren instead of it. Playing meren makes vindicate more necessary if also still running intent .

Edited for clarification.
    Last edited by uncletiggy; 11-24-2015 at 11:15 PM.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Being stone cold to a glacial chasm worries me but it seems like people are loving it being on meren instead makes vindicate more necessary
    DRS ? Rhino looping for lists playing it.

If your LGS is full of lands / 12 post, you should not play Nic Fit, imho, unless you are playing a rockish list like I posted above (as a few pages back also) and bet everything you have on sticking a lili until its ulti.
    But that is just me.

Mar 2009

If your LGS is full of lands / 12 post, you should not play Nic Fit, imho, unless you are playing a rockish list like I posted above (as a few pages back also) and bet everything you have on sticking a lili until its ulti.
    But that is just me.
    You can also play fringe cards like Crumble to Dust, Armageddon, or Ruination in your sideboard if you really want to take Nic Fit into that metagame; it won't be the best, but at least you will have a chance.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

But that is just me.
    If you're getting Chasm locked, that;s exactly why you're playing Rhino for the loops and DRS, I totally agree. Lands isn't a great matchup in the first place.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Ricardio, don't agree on Ajani over Ob, but do agree on Meren

Also, do you mind flicking back a page, I asked you some questions regarding online legacy play, if you'd be so kind :)
    I'm not at my computer atm. I will update when I get a chance. Ob is worse imho but that's the beauty of this deck.

@Ricardio, what's playing legacy on modo like?
    It's fun. Can't miss triggers and blue everywhere.
    How often do events fire?
    I would say 80%+ dailies fire.
    Is it regular?
    Ya. Only one had not started that I joined.
    I'm in the UK and worry that events won't fire when I'm interested. What's the EV like playing in events? Is it worth just playing legacy on there or do you do other formats too?
    I play for the love of the deck. If you win more often than lose you are fine. Good day gov'nah from across the pond.
    I really wanna join you on the daily listings :)
    Hope to see you there, bud.

Jan 2011
    York

My lack of punctuation and complete sentences made my point of cutting nightmare hurting already bad matchups completely incomprehensible. I don't have a lgs that supports legacy so scg opens were my only real venue of tournament play. As such many of my card choices play to a wider field of possibilities and accepting i can't always dodge bad matchups and would rather still have some game.

Dec 2013

@Echelon, ... And I think you're going a bit over the top on the sac lands, 10 is a lot. I'd cut them before the 3rd forest if you want to keep getting lands with your second/third vet explorer.

And I generally think 21+dryad arbor is too few lands, I'm looking for veteran explorer and a sac outlet in my opening hand I don't want to risk not having land drops there to go with it. Hence the utility lands, mane lands and card draw though to mitigate.
    That manabase has allowed me to hardcast Elesh Norn & bigger on a regular basis. Getting lands with Veteran Explorer has never since the inception of this list and manabase (several years ago) been a problem. And if you have all your basics out, that means you're @7 mana. Do you really care that much about your Explorer trigger at that point..? I don't think so.

As for stuff you want in your opening hand: That's why you need to hit a certain number of initial mana sources for that to work, with fetch counting as all 3 colours. You do understand what happens when you cut down on fetches..? Those numbers go down, unless you swap more basics for duals, which in turn would worsen the second/third Explorer you're so worried about. Having a lower count of initial manasources causes you to not have the initial land drops you need more often. Unless Bayou magically taps for G, B or W.

The number of initial sources for any given colour are more important than the total number of lands (since in a way that also dictates how many lands you must run in order to hit said numbers). Less fetches = higher (coloured and often total) land count when building a deck that wants to run three colours.

While we're running numbers concerning opening hands anyways: Running a 21 land manabase gives you a 3,96% chance of not having any land in your opening 7 and a 59,55% chance to hit the sweetspot of 2 to 3 land. When upping the count to 22 land, those odds change to 3,23% and 59,61%, respectively. You're not going to tell me you notice a 0,06% increase in having 2 or 3 hands in your opening hand. You just can't. To plead your case (I'm not a total asshole), when deciding we'd mulligan every hand with 0 or 1 land you'd go from mulliganing 3,23 + 15,60 = 18,83% to 3,96 + 17,88 = 21,84% which would be a 21,84 - 18,83 = 3,01% or once every 33 games increase. Which in my opinion is too small to care about.

Thread Information