Page 316 of 428 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 8556

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

Jan 2011
    York

Re: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

I heard Matts Porsche runs on beta Bayous....

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by rubblekill View Post
    Gratz bone!! Would you mind spoiling your list here? it's always interesting to see online results
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Savannah
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scrubland
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Veteran Explorer
    1 Eternal Witness
    3 Swamp
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Pernicious Deed
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Siege Rhino
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Forest
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    3 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dragonlord Dromoka
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Vindicate
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
    1 Celestial Purge
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

@Jbone, Read can't that I. List take your in dude pride, or it make at least us for easier.
    Junk and Stoned Rhinos.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jain_Mor View Post
    @Jbone, Read can't that I. List take your in dude pride, or it make at least us for easier.
    You can thank Modo for that. I have a friend who sends me vintage decks that he tests on there, and it's just how Modo parses data apparently. Because, you know, Modo.

Translated to make sense

Land 22
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    2 Plains
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Karakas

Creatures 15
    3 Veteran Explorer
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Siege Rhino
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Dragonlord Dromoka

Planeswalkers 3
    1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
    1 Garruk Relentless

Spells 15
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Vindicate

Enchantment 4
    3 Pernicious Deed
    1 Sylvan Library

Artifact 2
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard 15
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Just got back from a small event, we were supposed to have 14 but there's been a wave of Magic thefts locally lately and 3 people have had their deck stolen in the last couple weeks (2 at GP Columbus), then 2 others were disenfranchised enough by that to not show up so we only had 9. Still good for 4 rounds but luck was with me and I took the R1 bye. It let me scout everyone else though so that was nice getting to blind Therapy on T1 on the play having some information to go on.

I was playing the SFM build I posted a couple pages back.

R2 Elves
    The deck fired on all cylinders and got further advantage by my opponent flipping the fuck out because he was losing to "a pile of trash rather than a real deck", which was surprising because he's usually a very calm player... he wouldn't believe me or anyone else in the shop though when we said it's a real tier deck. This was made all the better because when he said that, all he had seen from me were real cards. Therapy, SFM, Batterskull, Decay, Top, DRS etc.. I hadn't even gotten into the weird stuff.

I 2-0'ed him but didn't even kill him in either game, he just scooped each time once he took a big enough loss. In G1 he was still at 17 and both of us were empty handed after I deeded, with a post deed Arbor with a Sword... a bad spot for sure but hardly a defeat. In G2 he opened with Forest/DRS, I followed with Thoughtseize and saw he had the full house with 2 more DRS in hand, 2 Visionaries, and a Wirewood. Took the Visionary then extracted them. Apparently my opponent had another DRS on top, he played them out over the next couple turns getting 4 on board, which were all wiped by a Deed. Leaving him with a blank board and me with a SFM and a known Batterskull in hand.

R3 UR Delver
    Delver smash. Not much to say about it, the player has never played Legacy and was borrowing the deck from another person at the tournament and that's pretty much our best matchup.

R4 White Eldrazi
    At this point I was 3-0 in rounds due to the bye and 4-0 in games. The guy on W Eldrazi is a very good player though, I think he's silver level, he's had some deep runs in SCG Invitationals, and won an RPTQ. He's probably good enough to go pro if he devoted himself more heavily to it, but living in the middle of nowhere it would be a big travel commitment. Anyways I got wrecked. In both games I was mana screwed, we both went to 5 in G1 but he was able to recover faster after a Wasteland took out my Bayou and I was stuck on 0 lands (eventually getting an Arbor as land #1).

In G2 I kept a bad 7, I got greedy keeping Windswept Heath, Deathrite Shaman, Path to Exile, Path to Exile, Cabal Therapy, Veteran Explorer, Sensei's Divining Top. I fetched a Forest this time thinking I was vulnerable to Wasteland and then played the DRS intending to Vet and Therapy on T2 but a Pithing Needle on DRS stopped that plan and my opponent followed it up with a Thalia. I was able to board stall for awhile with Vets but was never able to get enough mana to do anything and ended up locked out of the game.

I definitely screwed up the G2 sideboarding, after fighting a stream of Reality Smasher's in G1 I wasn't prepared for a board that went smaller with chained TKS's, Matter Reshapers, and Thalia's. Deed seemed real bad in G1 so I took them out but they would have been amazing in G2. Also worth noting, the white eldrazi deck seems to benefit from Vets more than we do so I'm not quite sure what to do here.

Overall, that's 2 tournaments now across 6 rounds (and 2 byes) where I've tried to evaluate SFM, or atleast this SFM build and I'm still unsure. I lean towards not liking it but I don't feel that things were very representative of how they should go, for example I ran 5 PW's in my build today and never drew a single one or saw one from Top. I did draw the SFM's in several games and the equipment was usually good but short of the Sword against Elves it was never amazing.

My 4-2 in games or 3-1 in rounds was good enough for 2nd place.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

That's what happens we I decide to post a lost when I'm super tired and just say screw it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Got some testing in today between rounds of a small Modern tourney, and I gotta say I haven't had this much fun playing Magic in ages. The manabase is smooth, Seige Rhino is incredibly satisfying, and Cabal Therapy is game in of it self. Can't ask for much more. Gentlemen, I might just be here to stay!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    One bonus from removing Eldrazi Conscription (and perhaps Chromanticore as well) is that you can remove the Lili's and Oppression since now you are adding in castable things that don't rely 100% on bringing into play with either Rector or Starfield. I think this is what I meant by clunky earlier, movements in this direction (if those changes do well) are going to make this deck more streamlined which is a big goal, if anyone wants to go back to some analytical drawing boards like what was written here a month ago.

Also, I will also comment on the OMG Living Plane tech. I have -always- wanted to play with Living Plane + Humility. All lands become 1/1 creatures that...no longer tap for mana lol.

I got my eyesight working again...dropped into a league for the first time in over a week and just got crushed twice in a row by Miracles. Guess I'm out of practice
    Yes, now that I put aside Lili for a moment, Chromanticore begun a dead weight to me (no joke.. or perhaps there is). Some bad luck, but I happen to get it in a good opening hand or to "accidently" draw it during the game. While I often would have been happy to get it rector/zenithed.

The Living plane tech felt really awesome. Even if I didn't put it often. I have enought tutors to ensure it. As a play I will detail later on against Miracles. Which one I was really proud of, even if I happened to loose the game by a misplay after that.

So, my report of today tournament.

We were around 30, 6 rounds and top 8.
    I ended 9th with negociations. 3/2/1

First note, I have to find a way to succeed in sleeping properly before a "big" event... I can't help myself to overthink about list, tech, etc.. While the night clock runs...

So:

Round 1: Infect 0/2 (a guy of my team with whom I came)
    On the draw

G1
    I don't remember well. But at the end, I was pressuring him with a deed while he had only nexus remaining. He casted a Blightsteed agent. He had 3 cards left. I had 6 lands and only 2 poisons, Doomwake giant and Starfiel in hand.
    And while the good play would have been to keep 2 mana up to deed if lethal boost only and wait for an extra mana or a cabal in support to cast a Doomwake Giant... I misplayed and gave it a try... Fow, he had 1 card remaining. Draw, become immense + another boost on blightsteed.. good bye..

Side:
    -courser, 1 Eidolon and Oppression
    +Curse of Death's hold, humility and seal of primordium

G2 on the play
    I remember that I did great on a therapy play, knowing he had BS, berserk and invigorate. I have seal of primordium on the field, watching for his nexus. I flashback cabal with vet. He BS and then don't shuffle on vet ability. I know he knows I know 2 good cards of him and put back precisely two cards with BS. The quite only card which could help him right know is Wastewood vines.. And it was a successful call.
    I think I did a few mulligan and was quite short on mana.
    Even if I managed some treat, in the end he find more creatures, I had not enought mana to keep up and died eventualy.
    But I think I did no mistake on this one.

NB: we played again after the tournament while one of us was one top 8 and on most of the games, I had clearly an edge on the match up...

Round 2: miracles 1/1/0
    I saw him playing in additionnal turns at the end of the previous round. So I knew he was on miracles.
    I got the toss and even hesitate on let him be on the play. But no.

G1:
    I keep a good and with 2 cabal, deed and rector for what I remember.
    T1 I call a successfull therapy on BS. Seeing Jace, terminus, ponder and 3 lands (toundra, plain, fetch)
    He lands ponder.
    I call a new cabal on Jace.
    The game was quite long and he eventually conceded while pernicious came back the 2nd or 3d time on starfield.

Time left <15min. Smell good 1/0...

Side:
    + 2 spirits, Seal, 2 carpet of flowers, 1 extirpate and curse
    - Chromanticore, courser, 1 cabal, 1 Eidolon and 3 vets

G2:
    I remember starting with cabals too (2 and the third came soon after).
    I was keeping the controle role. And the good move I remember was this: I knew he had a wear/tear either on top or hand with a counterbalance/SdT in play. I put curse of death's hold on the field with cabal/rector(to avoid any stp and put a non too fearsome card in play at the time) dealing with some aggressive snapcaster. I did a deed clearing the way to sterling grove. He put a engeniring explosive at 2. Then I hardcasted a Starfield. So the clear way he have is to explode grove to tear appart my starfield and avoid a new deed. When he used is explosives eot, I used my grove in answer to reveal living plane. So now he has to choose between letting my starfield do what it does or loose all is lands on curse/living plane. Yes, it's not a true choice. And it's were I misplayed. On upkeep, I called grove to protect starfield again against further threat. Instead I should have choose deed, which works very well too with living plane + starfield.
    I casted living plane as planned. I had even 5 enchant at this time (with carpet and spirit cast this same turn). Then he EoT activated top... on a 5 angels entreat... GG..
    Deeeeed!!!!

Round 3: WW stompy (sort of stompy taxes) 1/1/1
    I'm on the play.

G1
    I got catched by a early suppression field. Then Thalia started to hurt me. You add chalice to 1, thorn of amethyst, vryn pegasus and the Hokori... Courser gave me a lot of time, but not enought. Doomwake giant got me back in the game, but a final fiend hunter took my life.

Side:
    +curse, humility and seal
    - both Faith's fetters, 1 top

I paid more attention to suppression field, cast a deed on chalice + Thalia + Vryn at least. Then Starfield push him to concede.

G3
    I took advantage from doomwake giant and courser. I succeeded to put in a deed. But with suppression field + Hokuri, additional turns were not enought to finish the game...

Round 4: Death shadow 2/0

Deed and Faith's Fetters performed very well, supported by Starfield.
    Not a lot of comment here. Took the first wave, then counter stiked.

Round 5: Aggro loam 2/1

G1:
    Always the starfieldeed for the win.

Side:

+ humility, Curse, seal and full set of extirpate/surgical
    - 4 cabal, chromanticore, 1 Eidolon and oppression

G2:
    Mulligan 5, mana death, and I see only non-basic wastlanded lands.

G3:
    Finish on Doomwake, next turn grove + humility in a turn to wrath everylast creature. Then on the next turn, Starfield as 5th enchantement (Doomwake, Eidolon, grove and humility): 15 life damage for the win in a row.

Round 6: TitI stand still 0/2 but he conceded me as I was 1 more point which allowed me a very little chance to attempt the top 8 (a lot of 10 and 9 points).

I don't remember well everything, but I took a lot of stiffle and wastes while I wasn't under standstill.
    We pursue a few more games after the true ones and I had a hard time every and each game...

Conclusion and thoughts

First, except against the stand still one, I didn't felt far of winning in any round. Miracles get a miracle to come back, Stompy was stalling time with no real treath. But I was confident to win in both (the miracle pilot sounded a bit rusty to legacy, but it's the second time I'm not feeling bad against miracle and even taking the edge).
    But I need more practice to avoid some deceiptions. As said by Arianrhod: it's a long way to pilot it perfectly.

As said Square_two, now that I'm not running Lily anymore, chromanticore is less relevant. By addition, so do Oppression even if it still a good card because it's always hard to anticipate the benefice/cost of the card it would have in a game. Often, when I'm able to launch it, I'm the one with most cards..

So, 2 slots to fulfill. Need to rest on it and see tomorrow. But adding 2 STE would be a lead... (I used to play viridian emissary by the past and I liked them. The power of 2 makes the difference. And doing their stuff by dying makes them more a ressource.) Need to test both. Perhaps 1 viridian along with 1 Tendrils of Despair. As someone ever tried this cabal like ritual?

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Small local legacy with the current list.

Loss to shardless bug
    I had played this guy when he was on lands (and beat him), so I thought he was on it again. Nope
    Game 1: Hymn (discarding my deed) into goyf beats. Sigarda was not enough to withstand the bigger goyf
    Game 2: I stabilized around 4 with sigarda and elspeth vs his goyf and agent but I got too aggresive by attacking with the angel and he had the pulse for my tokens.

Beat TES.
    Game 1: He therapies my gsz away on turn 1 (after I played a DRS) (I saw burning wish with chrome mox and two lands, so I figure combo deck). Sadly after some discard, I run out of threats and he tendrils me.
    Game 2: Canonist, into Teeg, into DRS. He wishes for massacre, which seems odd with teeg. he scoops soon after.
    Game 3: He mulls to 5, while I keep 2 therapy, gsz, 2 land, drs, top. He Probes and therapies my therapies. I topdeck a Vet and vomit my hand and have 5 lands in play on turn 1. Find Teeg and lights out from there.

Beat Elves
    Game 1: GSZ 8 on like turn 4 for hoof kills me
    Game 2: Canonist, into Teeg, into rhino/sorin beats
    Game 3: Repeat game 2, but with canonist but I have deluge to wipe the board (he could hard cast hoof at least twice), play witness to bring back a canonist, winning with 2 sorin emblem and lots of beats.

@Ulysse95, this is what I'm going to try to test:

3 Phyrexian Tower (I haven't been dissatisfied, and with full Rectors I think 2 is minimal)
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Cabal Therapy

4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder (trying this since we really want to get to 4-5 mana fast, and it can be a pain through disruption or when Vets come out)
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    2 Eidolon of Blossoms

4 Academy Rector
    2 Sterling Grove

2 Starfield of Nyx
    1 Humility
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Dead Weight
    3 Pernicious Deed
    2 Faith's Fetters

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sylvan Library

side:
    1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Doomwake Giant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Extirpate
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Choke
    2 Abrupt Decay

Going to try Humility, Curse, Leyline as tutor targets for game 1. Doomwake is great but his effect is -probably- not needed against a lot of decks...I'm thinking that the Curse will do similar work but be harder to remove. I could be wrong here. I'm also holding back on Living Plane until I hear more about how it is doing, but it could be a 61st card, it is easily castable anyhow and would do wonders in most grindy matchups alongside Humility or Curse. But I'm thinking it is only good against grindy matchups. The Leyline in the main is a hedge against storm - I'd like to have some answer for them available game 1. It may not be needed, but could be incidental help against many decks if it shows itself.

I like that all of these pieces are also castable with 4-5 mana. I considered Nylea, God of the Hunt as a GSZ'able way to break parity with Humility, but Starfield beats are probably just easier, and Nylea by herself is kind of awkward.

I did see Doomwake do amazing work for me in a league match against Grixis Delver. They had Gurmag + Pyro and tokens, about to take over the game, when I topdeck a Rector and the giant saves the day. Gave me enough time to find Faith's Fetters for the fish, and then a Deed to kill more of his little guys after he had removed the giant.

The 2 Abrupt Decays in the side might should be at least 1 Golgari Charm...Charm helps against Elves where we may be too slow, and other X/1 decks. Abrupt Decay further helps against Delver decks and Miracles (better to kill Monastery Mentor and Counterbalance methinks).

Not sure about Eidolon of Rhetoric vs Spirit of the Labyrinth...I like that Eidolon shuts down Storm and is sort of our "Teeg" answer even if it costs one more to get out and isn't as much of a threat.

Will see how things go!

How is our Death and Taxes and UR Delver matchups? I played against some of them at my shop recently and I'm curious about them.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    How is our Death and Taxes and UR Delver matchups? I played against some of them at my shop recently and I'm curious about them.

Crush-city junction, should everything go okay. DnT can be trickier due to all the tricks.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    I heard Matts Porsche runs on beta Bayous....
    Basically. Everything's $400+...

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post

If you have a couple of Pernicious Deeds in your main, and bring in a couple of Toxic Deluges from the side, the D&T match up starts to feel pretty comfy.

Jan 2009
    Farmington, NY

Anything you would cut to get to 60 cards in the main? I don't know I guess I'm a stickler for an exact 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Translated to make sense

Land 22
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    2 Plains
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Karakas

Creatures 15
    3 Veteran Explorer
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Siege Rhino
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Dragonlord Dromoka

Planeswalkers 3
    1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
    1 Garruk Relentless

Spells 15
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Vindicate

Enchantment 4
    3 Pernicious Deed
    1 Sylvan Library

Artifact 2
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard 15
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis

For anyone testing the Starfield version online, I found out today that there is a bug preventing Academy Rector from tutoring Curse of Death's Hold into play. I was talking with the judge chat and they didn't see any reason for it not to work properly. I'll raise a bug report but I don't it is high priority

Also, the timestamps involved between Humility and Starfield of Nyx are the timestamps of when those cards enter the battlefield. The timestamp of when Starfield's ability "turns on" doesn't matter, which is something I was wrong about. If you play Starfield, then later play Humility, then when your enchantments turn into creatures, they will be 1/1's. You have to play Humility first, and then get Starfield into play and online. This appears to work correctly online.

@ Xantos:

After a quick look, I would say either baneslayer or Dromoka.

@ Square two:

Yes, towers are so good ^^

I understand your choice for Leyline. It's also a good answer for annoying planeswalkers. And with a MD Humility, the curse may be better than the giant. But independantly, I think Doomwake is strictly better (it's a beater and a solid blocker and do basiquely the same removal effect when he comes).

For now, I try two MD beast within. But I will set 1 beast within / 1 STE instead.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
    Anything you would cut to get to 60 cards in the main? I don't know I guess I'm a stickler for an exact 60.
    Not really. Baneslayer has been kinda of meh lately since I haven't faced much eldrazi. My current league I took her out and put the sage back in the main (which has been a little meh as well)
    Put Ob Nixillis in the board but I don't think I need him either. Might put the golgari charm back in the board.

So far,

Beat Grixis Delver in 3.
    Beat Blue/Green Show and Tell/Hypergensis? in 3.
    Lost to Delver Stiflenaught in 3.
    Beat miracles in 2.
    And.....beat Eldrazi in 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
    I have no idea, that was the other posters list. I simply moved the cards into categories so it was easier to read.

Thread Information