Page 428 of 428 FirstFirst ... 328378418424425426427428
Results 8,541 to 8,556 of 8556

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer/Deck] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    Maybe have it in sideboard instead? To sideboard against gravedecks. He can still be GSZ.

When you start talking about, yeah Ooze is too slow. But there are no other good 2-drop.

I want one more Tireless Tracker in main and maybe ooze has to go. The issue is I already have to many three drops and like 3 two drops in the deck.
    This is something I'm working on. Dark Confidant is a fantastic 2 drop, but it has implications for the rest of your deck, a price that I think is well worth paying.

As far as GSZable targets go it's Sakura-Tribe Elder or Scavenging Ooze. Steve is great, Ooze is good in theory, bad in practice. I'm honestly considering a Goyf or a Scryb Ranger. On that note, has anyone ever tried playing Scryb Ranger? It has some neat interactions with Courser, Tracker, and DRS. It holds equipment too, though that won't be relevant in my deck.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    This is something I'm working on. Dark Confidant is a fantastic 2 drop, but it has implications for the rest of your deck, a price that I think is well worth paying.

As far as GSZable targets go it's Sakura-Tribe Elder or Scavenging Ooze. Steve is great, Ooze is good in theory, bad in practice. I'm honestly considering a Goyf or a Scryb Ranger. On that note, has anyone ever tried playing Scryb Ranger? It has some neat interactions with Courser, Tracker, and DRS. It holds equipment too, though that won't be relevant in my deck.
    Scryb ranger works well in maverick becasue it has knight and mother that has tap abilities. We have only deathrite shaman. Also, we need more land in play the maverick.

Sakura-Tribe elder is maybe a option.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Goyf is absolute garbage in NicFit. When you have it, it is either to small or it doesn't impact the board.
    The problem with non-green creatures is that you need at least 2 in your list, where space is tight already as it is. STEve is fine in a list such as Sneak or Scape. In "regular" NicFit i found it underwhelming.
    Scryb Ranger is abso-fucking-tastic in Maverick. But indeed, Maverick has MoM and the knight milf to tap, plus that it enables Arbor shenanigans or enables a one shot with DD/Stage and KotR. Al stuff we don't have, or not enough at least.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Goyf is absolute garbage in NicFit. When you have it, it is either to small or it doesn't impact the board.
    The problem with non-green creatures is that you need at least 2 in your list, where space is tight already as it is. STEve is fine in a list such as Sneak or Scape. In "regular" NicFit i found it underwhelming.
    Scryb Ranger is abso-fucking-tastic in Maverick. But indeed, Maverick has MoM and the knight milf to tap, plus that it enables Arbor shenanigans or enables a one shot with DD/Stage and KotR. Al stuff we don't have, or not enough at least.
    I don't know about the "Goyf is garbage" idea. That originally stemmed from the fact that the deck was using cards like Recurring Nightmare, sometimes Birthing Pod, and Diabolic Intent. Creatures were being sacrificed left and right, so the idea was that we wanted cards with ETB effects. That's not really the case anymore, and in my version specifically, I'm just looking to grind value and hit the opponent hard. So my thought process is something like this:
    • I want a 2 drop that hits hard
    • I want a 2 drop that is resistant to some removal
    • I want a 2 drop that I can GSZ
    • I want another big creature in my deck while keeping my curve low.

Goyf does all of this.

Now, my argument for Scryb Ranger isn't as well thought out, but basically it fits the curve and it does cool things. I probably wouldn't want to GSZ for it, but it's great against Grixis Delver and if I draw it it opens up two different GSZ paths with either DRS or Tracker depending on the game state and my plan for the matchup. It also gets a little better with the postboard plan of more DRS. Also, this might sound weird but it's pretty good against mana denial decks like D&T or Eldrazi. Crop Rotation is already playing in this space, but Scryb Ranger is a good answer to Wasteland. It can't save utility lands but Scryb Ranger hands can more safely fetch duals, especially in my case where there are no non Forest duals. In my list, Ranger interacts with 1x Arbor, 2x Deathrite, 2x Tracker, 1x Courser, 1x Nissa for 7 cards plus another 2x DRS out of the board. Is 7/9 cards enough?

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

But why not Scavenging Ooze ? It's grave hate, gives you life and grows incredible fast. There was this one game against where the Ooze grew up to a 13/13. Ooze is very underrated most of the times. "yeah just a ooze" and after two or three turn they regret it when they face a 5/5 Ooze. Can't understand how Ooze is bad in practice. I like it when I have it, I hate it when it's against me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    But why not Scavenging Ooze ? It's grave hate, gives you life and grows incredible fast. There was this one game against where the Ooze grew up to a 13/13. Ooze is very underrated most of the times. "yeah just a ooze" and after two or three turn they regret it when they face a 5/5 Ooze. Can't understand how Ooze is bad in practice. I like it when I have it, I hate it when it's against me.
    I have too many games where Ooze is just a 2/2. Once it grows it's fantastic, but getting to that point often times involves giving up a lot of potential. Most of the justification for Ooze is that it's another piece of GY hate. It goes wide against the GY too and it wipes GY's fast. Problem is, it can't do that until turn 3 or so and we need something faster than that right now.

Continuing with the Crop Rotation experiment, that opens up Bojuka Bog which is easier to grab than a GSZ'ed Ooze is, and also wipes the GY but does so faster. Once Ooze's primary job of being mass GY hate has essentially been replaced, the question starts popping up as to if it's just acting as an extra big body (that I have to spend a lot of time/resources on), why not just skip the interim steps and play a big body?

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    7 4-drops, 3 5-drops. That list is so top heavy. And no DRS (whilst needing 4 colours) to boot.

Out of curiosity (and please be honest): Did the manabase ever crap out on you?
    I remember it happened once on a sketcher keep and then it was kinda awkward when I got back to basics'd game one against a miracles opponent(I did end up winning that game through a nissa ult, it took forever to find an answer to B2B so I could dumb my hand but I eventually did)

Quote Originally Posted by rubblekill View Post
    I basically play the same 4c list except -2 kaya - 1 ooze + 1 drs + 1 Steve (I like him to fetch island) + tracker

I like thy list a lot, even the 3ts 3 ll in the side which help a lot against combo, but I disagree about kaya: she is the most cuttable 4 drop, and as echelon said with no further acceleration the list seems top heavy. But hey, I wasn't the one to day 2 a GP
    I have been really impressed with her in a lot of matchups, but I really love that she has a discard effect that isnt bad for us as well like LotV. And on the lack of acceleration I personally would rather have another decay/path/discard than something like a deathrite or STE as I have never personally been impressed with either out of the deck

Do you won with just Kaya aganist infect or was she only a wincon after you stop the infect player?
    She stopped a blitghted agent from attacking for 4+ turns in a row until I could find a way to remove it from the table. Having all of our ground pounders to block the elf I am really only concerned with ink-moth and the agent and sticking a kaya down the line(or event turn 2/3) to just shut of the agent makes dealing with ink-moth much easier. But she isnt really the all star of this matchup as that would be deed and a fistfull of removal.

This isnt going to be as in depth as I wanted it to be because I havent had a chance to right this down until now(yay school). Next time ill have to take better notes

Round 1 R/G Lands

Game 1: I dont assemble anything other than 1/1 beats before he 20/20'd me

-4 Cabal -3 Decay

+2 Surgical +3 Legacy +1 Slaughter +1 thoguhtseize

Cabals are very unimpressive and deed can hit diamonds and explorations so it stays over the decays
    surgicals for loam/combo(pref depths) and legacy for loam or fire. To the slaughter is another out to 20/20. The seize is better than therapy when it gets drawn imo.

Game 2: He mills over DD with loam and I surgical it in response to the loam. Then I surgical loam and stick a kaya and start digging for an answer. He gets the fire combo online and then that gets Legacy'd away. I find anything that turns sideways before he finds his 1 of vortex.

Game 3: He gambels for loam and then discards it to gamble. Then he cast a chalice on 1 (told me afterwards it was for the surgicals). So I surgical loam response to the chalice. I then plan some beater and he has to k grip his own chalice to get the other half of the combo with gamble, which then dies to To the Slaughter.

1-0

Round 2 Enchantress with a wishboard

Game 1: Once I figured out what he was on I go get a leovold and he dies before he can do anything.

-3 PtE -1 Scoze?

+1 To the Slaugher +1 Toxic Deluge +1 Golgari charm +1 Gasali Pridemage

Brought in everything that kills an enchantment or a enchantress. Didnt bring in the seize's or legacys because of the redundancy of some of their pieces and that the rest the removal can actually interact with them.

Game 2: get an early Qasali and he O rings it and then nevermores decay. Have both a decay and deed in hand so I proceed to slam dead and 5 for 1 him and then get a leovold and beat him down.

2-0

Round 3 Jund depths

I think I got this 2-0 but our games were looooong but I might have gotten 20/20d one game. Mostly what happened was not dieing to 20/20 and slaming fatties after getting through the early game. Boarded similarly as I did for lands because they have a number of cards that could stand to be extracted.

3-0

Round 4 Grixis Delver

Game 1: Resolve veteran into cabal into rhinos. At one point he trades a rhino for a gurmag and then I played an Atraxa and he conceded as his young pyro couldn't keep up.

-2 Nissa, Vital force -1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    +1 Toxic Deluge +1 Painful Truths +1 Qasali Pridemage

The planeswalkers are harder to resolve and protect against bolt delver and having another sweeper, a card drawing spell, and a greensunable out to winterorb is all preferable.

Game 2: Veteran into therapy resolves again except this time my hand is 2 fetchlands, deluge, and painful truths and I am at 12 with flip delver and active deathrite on board. So I cast deluge for 2 go to 10. Deathrite puts me 8 and then deluge resolves. And then I cast the most depressing Painful truths of my life drawing 3 fetchlands now that I am at 5. But he also had no hand and I drew a greensun before he could mount pressure and got a Rhino and closed out the game.

4-0

Round 5 Mono R Painter. First this deck caught me off guard being 4-0 and then the fact I have not played against this deck before

Game 1: I am on the play and have basics and some interaction and I believe I went forest into Top. He goes tomb painter. I have a decay in hand so I play swamp and pass. He goes mountain blood moon. Now I didn't think the basic deck would care about bloodmoon and the fact I had a plains in hand with a swamp and a forest out so I decay'd the painter. He then blasted both of my basics. So I now have no access to black mana or double green and he kills me before I can find a greensuns for E-wit to get either basic back.

Sided in artifact/enchantment/combo hate(legacy is real bad here)

Game 2: went grindy I didnt respect goblin welder enough and he killed me by assembling the combo with it.

4-1

Round 6/10/14 Mentor Miracles So these all played out the in very similar ways. I won all 3 game ones through either Nissa's ult Or them not being able to stabilize. Game 2 and 3 I got cliqued on turn 3 every game and that etiher forced me to decay it or took my decay if I had another answer followed up by a mentor and a force on my deed(or one time he waited till turn 5 and counterspelled it). One of these games involved turn 2 CB into turn 3 blindflip for deed and then blind flip for sigarda. I am going to have to play more against Mentor miracles as I don't have a lot of experience against this build(not a lot of miracles around me and the one that is hates mentor). My feeling after this is that the -4 vet -4 cabal -1 Rhino -1 Atraxa +3 legacy +2 thoguhtsize +1 truths +1 pridemage +1 Truths +1 Deluge Plan +1 Elspeth is too slow to handle the mentor plan.

So 4-2 After loss to miracales

Round 7 Food Chain

After he got all of his dudes in exile and then on the board I had managed to deed them all away (I had like a rhino board) he then empathed for tasigur and delved them all back and started hitting me the fliers again. I eventually found nissa and got the deed back and deeded him again and put him one a 1 turn clock. He rips food chain and has 1 dude left and exile and emmys me.

-3 PtE -2 Kaya -2 Nissa
    +3 LL +3 Seize +1 Toxic Deluge

the paths dont do what you want them to and the walkers are really hard to protect against a only fliers deck. The Legacy and Seizes to break up the combo/just put the fuckers in the graveyard instead of exile

Game 2: He vomits out a bunch of dudes (2 deathrites and 2 strixes) and I had missed a land drop so I went with the deed pop deed next turn plan because I wouldnt think I would live if I cast legacy instead. The turn before I cast legacy for Food chain he slams it and kills me.

4-3

Round 8 DnT

Game 1: He plays some dudes and I shoot them for a couple of turns until I land a rhino and beat him down

-4 Vet -1 Cabal
    +1 Elspeth +1 Deluge +1 To the slaughter +1 Golgari Charm +1 Quasali

The vets are really meh and the cabal is bad later on so I trim on it. The deluge is great as a non revokable sweeper along with the charm. Pride mage is nice for equipment and to the slaughter can get a gideon later as hitting delirum is not ambitions against DnT and elspeth makes dudes that can block crusader and can take over the game if you can keep their fliers down.

Game 2: He extends out with multiple dudes and a revoker on deed. The deluge was around a 4-1. He shoots my dudes and I have nothing but removal in hand(including charm) The game goes on until he stoneforges for a batterskull and gets it on the board. I shoot the stoneforge end step and then I untap and play elspeth. I plus her up to 8 and then ult her and then the 3 3/3's a turn win the game against the thalia and batterskull.

5-3

Round 9 Infect

Game 1: I have removal.hand and do nothing for a while. Meanwhile he also does nothing until and passes back with 3 lands. 2 trops and a forest. So I find a vet on my turn 3/4 and lead the vet and then a cabal therepy and my opponent responds with a brainstorm. He thinks he hasn't shown he is infect and leaves agent in his hand. I can't think of what else he is and name agent hitting. He cant overcome my paths and decays and dies to Nissa.

-3 Rhino -1 Atraxa -1 Ooze -2 Nissa VF
    +3 Seize +1 golgari charm +1 Quasali +1 to the slaughter +1 Deluge.

Game 2: I have a little bit of a sketchy hand and die on turn 2/3 to him having protection plus counter.

Game 3: I have a turn 3 kaya flick your blighted agent and another vet to block the elf. So he commits a second noble hierarch and crop rotates(at the end of my next turn) for a inkmoth which gets pathed after he hits me for 3(puts me at 5 total) I commit more ground pounders leaving up interaction and pass back. He finds a second blighted agent which is problems so by now I had a top running and start digging taking a fetch as my draw step and then getting 3 new cards finding a golgari charm killing an elf, 2 agents, and 2 heirarchs. Game ends shortly after that.

6-3 So I made day 2 at this point which is pretty sweet for my first GP and being on nic fit.

Round 10 lost to miracles

6-4

Round 11 Burn

Game 1: So I kept a had that was double vet, tower, kaya and some lands and keep it. Lead on vet and my opponent goes t1 swiftspear. Well this is bad. Slam the kaya turn 2 and play the second vet and just start draining my opponent. End up not finding enought interaction and a second kaya and die eventually.

-2 Nissa VF
    +1 Quasali +1 Charm

Vital force doesnt stabilize very well against burn and need ways to kill vortex

Game 2: I put 4 rhino on the table after shooting a vortex.

Game 3: I remember being very close and having to use kaya just to drain a lot before finding a rhino to close out the gmae

7-4

Round 12 Dredge These games were really fun to play because pilot on dredge was a blast

Game 1: I almost stabilize through the dread returns but it wasnt quite enough

-4 Walkers -1 Decay

Game 2: I therapy him hitting his breakthrough and stall enough to get an ooze out and eat an ichorid or 2. He then gets another breakthrough and mills over all 4 bridges and I then decay my ooze to exile all of them after eating some ameobas. I then legacyed his Dread returns and killed him with rhinos

Game 3: I keep plains swamp volraths greencard surgical x2 as my 6 scry rhino to bottom. He goes LED looting pop LED discarding Troll as his only dredger which gets surgicaled. He then draws 2 and discards them one of witch in a imp. He tries to flashback looting and imp gets surgicaled. He was rather suprised about the second surgical. So he ends up dredge with an eventually thug that he cast and then chumped with to get into the yard. I eventually stick and atraxa and start hitting him. So he for whatever reason decided that he wanted to play 3 dread returns and 2 grislebrands. So he dreadreturns a grislebrand form a bunch bunch of stuff he hard casted(he is at 2 now). So I sack my atraxa to tower to exile his bridges and then pop deed on 8. Then played a vet. Hit him to 1. He dredged over a ameoba and a bridge. I vindicate the ameoba and decay the zombie and swing for leathal.

8-4

Round 13 Caleb scherer on storm

I got destroyed both games in game 1 he kills me on turn 2 and game 2 he finds a past before I can lock up the game.

8-5

Round 14 Miracles again

8-6

Round 15 Storm again

Was much close still died quickly game 1 but game 2 he scooped to leovold + gaddock and commented on how massacre doesnt work the way he wants it to with teeg out. Game 3 he Dark petitions for ad nauseam and I surgicaled LED in response and he went 4 and killed me the next turn when he could empty his hand enough for the infernals.

So finished 8-7 was kinda disapointing losing to food chain and painter but oh well.

List for reference

4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Siege Rhino
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    3 Path to Exile
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Atraxa, Praetors' Voice
    1 Vindicate
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

3 Thoughtseize
    3 Lost Legacy
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 To the Slaughter
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

A question to the Tireless Tracker lovers: why do you like him so much and in which matchups is he really good? I finally got around to do some testing with my GBCr Eldrazish Fit and had a spot open at the 3 CMC slot so he fitted in quite nicely. I pretty much ended up boarding him out every match. I played from the top of my hat against BRreanimator, Grixis Delver 2x, Canadian Threshold, UR Delver, Eldrazi, Cloudpost Eldrazi brew, Jund Fit. My problem is that he is either too slow (delver, combo) or too small (Eldrazi, grixis delver). In the mirror, against miracles and things like Maverick I can see how he can be good value, but I really did not like him in my testing and I was wondering if that's a playstyle thing, I'm using him wrong, just bad matchups or whatever. Some insight would be nice.

Regarding Nissa, Vital Force, she has been great. Best (universal) Nic Fit suggestion this thread has produced in quite some time. I initially ran a Reality Smasher but was underwhelmed with it to begin with, so she made for a great substitute making 5/5 hasters. Although lacking trample, she's just much better in every other way. I'm not yet sure if I want to go to two, replacing possibly my Garruk Relentless for a second Nissa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    A question to the Tireless Tracker lovers: why do you like him so much and in which matchups is he really good? I finally got around to do some testing with my GBCr Eldrazish Fit and had a spot open at the 3 CMC slot so he fitted in quite nicely. I pretty much ended up boarding him out every match. I played from the top of my hat against BRreanimator, Grixis Delver 2x, Canadian Threshold, UR Delver, Eldrazi, Cloudpost Eldrazi brew, Jund Fit. My problem is that he is either too slow (delver, combo) or too small (Eldrazi, grixis delver). In the mirror, against miracles and things like Maverick I can see how he can be good value, but I really did not like him in my testing and I was wondering if that's a playstyle thing, I'm using him wrong, just bad matchups or whatever. Some insight would be nice.

Regarding Nissa, Vital Force, she has been great. Best (universal) Nic Fit suggestion this thread has produced in quite some time. I initially ran a Reality Smasher but was underwhelmed with it to begin with, so she made for a great substitute making 5/5 hasters. Although lacking trample, she's just much better in every other way. I'm not yet sure if I want to go to two, replacing possibly my Garruk Relentless for a second Nissa.
    Tireless is good in grindy matchups, like mirakels, D&T, Grixis Delver. Tireless always leaves with a clue or two before they kill it. We often have need to have manasinker and pay two mana for a card is really good. If they don't kill it, we will gain CA.

I really want another Tireless in the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post

You may be using Tracker incorrectly. It's great that the card is green but it's not something you ever want to GSZ for, that's some of the logic behind running multiples so that you actually draw into them. As a threat it's slow, and it's not all that strong as an attacker or blocker. However, where it shines is in generating CA. A single fetchland generates 2 cards. I find that if Tracker isn't answered it's almost always good for 3-6 cards, while hitting the opponent. It's just solid value, giving you some small board presence with card draw.

I never take my Trackers out. I'm surprised you didn't like it in the Delver matchup because that's one of it's best situations.

I like tracker because he simply has to be answered or else he will take over a game. Same as others, I rarely GSZ for him but might if I don't have anything else going on and have a fetch or land in hand. Doesn't take much investment before he can be a 5/4 and trade with Smasher, TKS, Angler, other annoyances. Even against storm or combo it's nice to play him out and then have both a clock and a source of card draw to help dig towards more discard and disruption (although I'm on Jund Sneak so I have few hatebears at my disposal to GSZ for - also I can do Bellower->Tracker if Empath or E Witness isn't going to be better at the time). Sometimes I'll side one of my two out if I need specific sideboard cards in and don't have much else to take out.

Nov 2015
    Seattle, WA

It's worth noting also that Tracker is one of the best cards you can draw to compliment early disruption against a combo deck. Not many other 3-drops draw you into more disruption while presenting a fast clock. My success rate against infect, storm, and reanimator is significantly higher in games where a Tracker hits than games with a scavenging ooze or a rhino.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Tireless is good in grindy matchups, like mirakels, D&T, Grixis Delver. Tireless always leaves with a clue or two before they kill it. We often have need to have manasinker and pay two mana for a card is really good. If they don't kill it, we will gain CA.

I really want another Tireless in the deck.
    Tracker works as our "Bob", just need a 4th land to be effective. Almost never board it out in any matchup.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Tracker works as our "Bob", just need a 4th land to be effective. Almost never board it out in any matchup.
    Bob does a pretty good Bob impression in this deck too. He's loads of fun with SDT.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Bob does a pretty good Bob impression in this deck too. He's loads of fun with SDT.
    Yeah, I might say so myself.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...d=1#post987415

Link to the new primer / thread, in case any of you have this specific thread bookmarked and didn't know it got posted.

Thread Information