Thread: Hey everyone, i have a convoke question

Hey everyone, i have a convoke question

So, say i have Myr Galvanizer, chief engineer and say 3 other myr's and some untapped lands. So if i wanna cast wurmcoil engine, can i then tap the 3 myrs, then activate Galvanizers ability, then tap them again equaling 6 to cast wurmcoil engine? Does it work like that? thanks!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: Hey everyone, i have a convoke question

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla96 View Post
    So, say i have Myr Galvanizer, chief engineer and say 3 other myr's and some untapped lands. So if i wanna cast wurmcoil engine, can i then tap the 3 myrs, then activate Galvanizers ability, then tap them again equaling 6 to cast wurmcoil engine? Does it work like that? thanks!
    Convoke only works while the spell is on the stack; furthermore, the window for paying costs during a spell's announcement do not allow for effects outside of mana-producing abilities, so it isn't the same as "floating" mana beforehand then untapping lands to retap them to cast the spell -- you can technically only activate Convoke while you're actually casting the spell, after it's been placed on the stack and its modes and targets have been chosen. Finally, it doesn't actually add mana to the pool, it simply reduces the cost of the spell you're casting in accordance to the creature's color and other such considerations. EDIT: I was incorrect -- it has changed in recent years from a cost-reducing effect to a cost-paying effect.

TLDR - one tap per creature; one cost reduction payment per creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    it simply reduces the cost of the spell you're casting in accordance to the creature's color and other such considerations.
    You're right in everything else, but just to clarify, Convoke no longer reduces the cost of the spell. You now literally pay for the mana cost with the creatures.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    You're right in everything else, but just to clarify, Convoke no longer reduces the cost of the spell. You now literally pay for the mana cost with the creatures.
    God that's right, it changed from being a cost-reducing thing to a cost-paying thing. Meh, edited. Good catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information