Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 28: Dega Rules, Mardu Drools!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 28: Dega Rules, Mardu Drools!

In episode 28 of Everyday Eternal Matt Pavlic (sdematt) and Sean O’Brien (nedleeds) talk Khans of Tarkir spoilers, and Sean’s Vintage experiences at GenCon 2014. They’re later joined by Julian Knab (Julian23) to talk about Matt’s recent port of Sean’s Dega Vintage deck in to Legacy. But Julian isn’t convinced. Between Miracles and Elves, is there room for such a deck in the format?

Timestamps:

00:00:00 Fetchlands!
    00:04:35 Crackling Doom
    00:07:13 Sarkahn, the Dragon Speaker
    0007 Spoilers: Prowress
    0009 Temur Ascendancy
    00:17:19 Changes to Block and Set Structure
    00:18:25 Sean’s GenGon Experience: Forgemaster Workshops on Saturday
    00:30:10 Sean’s GenGon Experience: BRW Dega Dudesweats on Sunday
    00:36:50 Legacy Dega
    00:42:37 Elves and Miracles and the restrictions they put on deck building
    00:55:24 New flavors of Miracles: 4 Entreats
    00:58:55 Pros/Cons of MTGO
    01:08:58 Julian is back to streaming MTGO
    01:18:12 General banter and outro

Sample 4 Entreat the Angels Miracle List
    Business (38)
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Counterspell
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Terminus
    4 Entreat the Angels
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    Mana Sources (22)
    1 Karakas
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    5 Island
    2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Counterbalance
    3 Vendilion Clique
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Wear // Tear

Julian’s MTGO Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/itsjulian

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 28: Dega Rules, Mardu Drools!

I would play Mind Twist in Elves. I challenge you to have the Misdirection!

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

I agree that Eternal only players have very little interest in Standard boosters. You did however get $100 worth of product between your two top 8 finishes which, while not a great amount, you could probably have sold to at least break even from the event. Alternatively you could have got some friends together and had a fun draft, that is what I do with standard boosters I win.

I am not sure why the majority seem to hate the new Fetch land art it seem almost like people keep saying it to try and make it true. My Blue-Fetches are all NM and Signed so I shall be keeping them but I am selling off my other played Onslaught Fetches and will replace them with nice mint Khan's printings. It will also be interesting to see how much penetration the new names get; you never really here Ana, Raka or Necra used whereas Naya, Jund and Esper all got adopted quickly enough.

Since I have 4 copies of Entreet I am certainly going to try that out and see how it plays...
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    I am not sure why the majority seem to hate the new Fetch land art it seem almost like people keep saying it to try and make it true.
    At least for me, I don't like that the art is tied to the flavor of the set they're in. The art from the ZEN and ONS fetchlands is flavor agnostic and basically just a picture of what the title is. I'd rather play with a Flooded Strand that's a flooded strand than one that has a dead dragon - a creature type I'll just about never see in eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    It will also be interesting to see how much penetration the new names get; you never really here Ana, Raka or Necra used whereas Naya, Jund and Esper all got adopted quickly enough.
    I think part of the reason the names didn't catch on is because they weren't used much even in the set. To take your first example, there are only 3 cards with Ana in the name. 2 of those were in invasion and the other was years later in Planar Chaos. Compare this to the shards. There are five cards with "Bant" in their name and 29 with "Bant" in their flavor text. These were spread across a full block, so you saw them a lot.

Khans has the same "enforcement" of the wedge names. The primary reason I don't think they'll catch on (or at least, some won't catch on) is because we already have commonly used names. At the very least, I'm expecting that BUG and RUG will still be called that.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

got a new bike
    Sep 2013

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Khans has the same "enforcement" of the wedge names. The primary reason I don't think they'll catch on (or at least, some won't catch on) is because we already have commonly used names. At the very least, I'm expecting that BUG and RUG will still be called that.
    I haven't been able to remember any of the new names, and they've been floating around for a few weeks now. When I saw Naya and that it was R/G/W, it clicked instantly. I could not tell you what color combo Jeskai is, I've tried. The new ones aren't that memorable and don't click-something to do with syllables and word association I'm sure, but an actual linguist will have to handle that.

To be fair, Ana, Ceta and company are just as bad as the new names like you stated. Dega is badass, nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    TNN is so uninteractive that you can't even target him with your feelings.
    Deadguy Ale, U/R Painter

Jul 2013
    Texas

I really like when Sean is on the cast, though I would've loved to hear his opinion on one of the Brainstorm casts, haha.

I was hoping Dega would get more love in KTK. I do think Crackling Doom and/or the charm have some potential, but they conflict with the Lili/Souls plan. When I was playing Dega I always had a hell of a time with Miracles, though. Can't say I had the same problem with Elves but I was running Perish.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

The discussion aroun 59:45 and Nedleed's comment is why I love this podcast.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by shrubs View Post
    I haven't been able to remember any of the new names, and they've been floating around for a few weeks now. When I saw Naya and that it was R/G/W, it clicked instantly. I could not tell you what color combo Jeskai is, I've tried. The new ones aren't that memorable and don't click-something to do with syllables and word association I'm sure, but an actual linguist will have to handle that.

To be fair, Ana, Ceta and company are just as bad as the new names like you stated. Dega is badass, nuff said.
    I guess the current issue is that these "Shards" have absolutely no strategic root or face to far despite people acting like Jeskai, Temur, Mardu, etc. were around for a decade and everyone instantly knows what's going on.

Alara and it's Naya shard completely redefined the deck we knew as "Zoo" which is a whole different level of impact than just trying to rename RUG Delver to Temur(?) Delver for marketing reasons after the name Canadian Thre.shold was burried for reasons of being "unclear in terms of colors and strategy".
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

True. Besides Grixis and Esper, in legacy at least, Naya Zoo, Bant whatever, and Jund decks often play at least a few cards from the Alara block that defined those respective colors in that block
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Just listened. Best part was after Julians insomnia driven dream of JFK talking about kitchen finks was Matt's comment. "You realize that's super fucked up right?"
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    True. Besides Grixis and Esper, in legacy at least, Naya Zoo, Bant whatever, and Jund decks often play at least a few cards from the Alara block that defined those respective colors in that block
    I that regards, I can imagine that BUG Delver or Team America is refered as Sultai Tempo in the future, if the Clan-mechanic Delve makes more of an impact as Tombstalker already did. Therefore we would take Sultai as a code for the color combination and the supporting mechanic within the tempo supertype which is fine for me.

Calling RUG Delver suddenly Temur Delver without running any Clan-related cards or without taking Advantage of the clan-mechanic Ferocious is stupid viral marketing
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Ironically? before Deathrite, Junk (Abzan?) played 8 Bant cards pretty regularly - Knight and Hierarch

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Ironically? before Deathrite, Junk (Abzan?) played 8 Bant cards pretty regularly - Knight and Hierarch
    And sometimes Qasali Pridemage.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

True, but you're not going to call a junk deck Bant. Hell even naya zoo ran "Bant" cards in noble and KOTR at times

Just listened. Best part was after Julians insomnia driven dream of JFK talking about kitchen finks was Matt's comment. "You realize that's super fucked up right?"
    I liked his sample MODO user name 'FucksYourMom33' ... I might actually sign up for that heaping pile of shit if I could register a name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I really like when Sean is on the cast, though I would've loved to hear his opinion on one of the Brainstorm casts, haha.

I was hoping Dega would get more love in KTK. I do think Crackling Doom and/or the charm have some potential, but they conflict with the Lili/Souls plan. When I was playing Dega I always had a hell of a time with Miracles, though. Can't say I had the same problem with Elves but I was running Perish.
    Counterbalance specifically is the issue I've had running Dega. If you can't thoughtseize it and/or revoke the top it's tough sledding. Red blasts help but with no Brainstorm to help find sideboard cards you might just never see them. I've also played 2 Caverns in Dega and those obviously help, but again you aren't allowed to play Ancestral Recall so it can be tough to find them.

I find Perish to be good to support some initial removal, but it's really slow vs. Elves. I get that it kills Protogenesis but I've lost on their turn 3 to Hoof-derp too many times to count. Zealous Persecution and/or Electrickery I think are better, tangentially they also blow up Empties and throat rip an over extended Death and Taxes ape.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I like perish against them more if you are on the deathrite plan (even though it kills deathrite). It's nice to strip their non creatures with discard and force them to be a midrange deck only to blow them out with a plague wind. Assuming if course they don't have too many Symbiotes

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Counterbalance specifically is the issue I've had running Dega. If you can't thoughtseize it and/or revoke the top it's tough sledding. Red blasts help but with no Brainstorm to help find sideboard cards you might just never see them. I've also played 2 Caverns in Dega and those obviously help, but again you aren't allowed to play Ancestral Recall so it can be tough to find them.

I find Perish to be good to support some initial removal, but it's really slow vs. Elves. I get that it kills Protogenesis but I've lost on their turn 3 to Hoof-derp too many times to count. Zealous Persecution and/or Electrickery I think are better, tangentially they also blow up Empties and throat rip an over extended Death and Taxes ape.
    Ugh, it's not even that easy. I once opened on Thoughtseize your CB, Surgical it, go. I still lost that game to something obnoxious like STP, Terminus, snap STP, Verdict, durdle, durdle, Entreat for a dozen. REB is dead against them once Countertop is out too so it removes an out to Jace. When I rebuild dega possibly as soon as next week I'm going for more needles and Bitterblossom I think.

I really never had too much trouble vs. elves though. But my build occasionally ran a maindeck Zealous and always had Mirran Crusader and Revoker. Seize them, kill their stuff, Revoke their Heritage Druid or Wirewood, basically just buy time until you can cast Perish or get Jitte online. The deck can be obnoxious though, I might have been lucky. I do think I lost a game when I had turn 1 cage once because he just glimpsed into some ridiculous Cradle/Hoof turn.

I like perish against them more if you are on the deathrite plan (even though it kills deathrite). It's nice to strip their non creatures with discard and force them to be a midrange deck only to blow them out with a plague wind. Assuming if course they don't have too many Symbiotes
    You mean because you can cast it faster?

I know you love DRS in dega and I'm not saying you're wrong, but you haven't lived until you've resolved a Perish in this deck without one. Oh, you went DRS into Shardless into Goyf vs. my Mom + Bob? Seeya.

Thread Information