Thread: CloudPost Control

MudPost Control

Not sure if this is already a thing, but I could not find anything on the source on it (although I did not search very hard).

Anyways, I will just start with a decklist and explain the choices I made. I am wondering if people think this could even be a possible strategy, and if so what changes to the deck should be made.

Possible Deck List

4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Karn Liberated
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Petrified Field

ManaBase
    Glimmerpost, Cloudpost - The only locus lands out there, but they are really powerful. Cloudpost for lots of mana, glimmerpost for life and buffing cloudpost. This helps you power out the big guys.

Thespians Stage, Vesuva - Ideally the come in copying on the locus lands, for extreme mana / life.

Ancient Tomb - A land that comes in untapped and taps for 2 colorless. The life loss hurts, but the tempo should make up for it usually.

Eye of Ugin - Search up those big guys

Petrified Field - Not sure about this land, but my thinking is this deck is very vulnerable to wasteland, especially when you have 1 cloudpost in hand and a whole bunch of vesuvas. This can provide a little of insurance, while still just giving mana when you need it.

* Entire manabase produces colorless only. This is partly just because I like the challenge of building a colorless only deck, and also because colors mixed with cloudpost is icky IMO.

Control and Lock

Trinisphere, Tangle Wire, Sphere of Resistance, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice of the Void - So instead of trying to ramp out threats as quickly as possible like other turbo eldrazi decks, the idea here is just clog up the board and hand under mana taxes and such until you have the resources to cast a threat.

Expedition Map - The sooner those Cloudposts land, the better.

* These were the best slowdown cards I could think of in colorless. Some other cool ones include:

All is Dust
    Oblivion Stone

The Big Guys

Wurmcoil Engine, Karn Liberated - Pretty sweet cards in the Modern Urzatron deck, and seem viable in Legacy. The lifegain from wurmcoil can really help against an early delver that got past your lock pieces or from your own ancient tomb aging your health. Karn just does deals with problems of all sorts.

Emrakul, Kozilek, Ulamog - The big eldrazi. This is how you win your games. Right now I am undecided as to which ones to run, so I am just doing one of each. A resolved Emrakul is probably the best, but he is also the most expensive.

No thought towards sideboard or match ups yet, just focusing on main 60 for now and whether it is even possible to be a competitive thing.
    Last edited by sippingcider; 10-06-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Name makes more sense

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Re: CloudPost Control

Just saw this thread and as I was toying around with 12PostFunControl too I felt like giving you my old decklist. It's neither tuned nor good, but it's fun!

1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    3 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Vesuva
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Terminus
    4 Primeval Titan
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Karakas
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Pithing Needle
    3 Repeal
    SB: 4 Flusterstorm
    SB: 4 Force of Will
    SB: 4 Counterbalance
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Whenever I get time to play, I play a MUD deck that has a similar game plan (I call it the page68 list - check page 68 of the MUD thread).

What I can tell you is that with Sphere of Resistance, Tangle Wire (and Chalice of the Void, Lodestone Golem and Phyrexian Metamorph), you will actually have a hard time going to 6+ mana. Another thing is that if you don't resolve the resistors, you'll just lose.

I think running Eldrazi might solve that problem as long as your own resistors aren't affecting you. In my MUD list, you either resolve resistors or your not doing anything significant. In your list, if you can't resolve a resistor, you can always slam in an Eldrazi. Though if you do resolve your resistors, you run the risk of locking out your own Eldrazi. I think this can be fixed by running Dark Depths since you already utilize Thespian Stage.

Another thing, people might argue that you just lose to Wasteland. What I find is that the resistors actually make Wasteland terrible against you as your opponent will be less hesitant to lose a land when their spells costs one more to cast.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

your list is something that I actually drafted up with a few variations. your list and mine are pretty much just mud / stax using 12 post lands. Yeah it works, but its still mud and not consistent enough. Einherjer's list is IMO better because it is more consistent due to the Primeval titans and crop rotations. But it looks like he's just playing 12 post and substituting show and tell for terminus.

primeval titan is so good with dark depths and thespian stage floating around.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

What I can tell you is that with Sphere of Resistance, Tangle Wire (and Chalice of the Void, Lodestone Golem and Phyrexian Metamorph), you will actually have a hard time going to 6+ mana. Another thing is that if you don't resolve the resistors, you'll just lose.
    From the little testing I have done (on cockatrice) the resistors are hardly noticeable so long as you get couldpost out. Just 3 cloudposts is 9 mana. Also, the idea is to wait until the tanglewire goes away until you cast your huge threats, and hopefully by that time you have your cloudpost.

Whenever I get time to play, I play a MUD deck that has a similar game plan (I call it the page68 list - check page 68 of the MUD thread).
    That list looks pretty awesome, it just doesn't seem good enough without mishra's workshop.

your list is something that I actually drafted up with a few variations. your list and mine are pretty much just mud / stax using 12 post lands. Yeah it works, but its still mud and not consistent enough. Einherjer's list is IMO better because it is more consistent due to the Primeval titans and crop rotations. But it looks like he's just playing 12 post and substituting show and tell for terminus.

primeval titan is so good with dark depths and thespian stage floating around.
    The problem I have with the titan version is how little it has to disrupt your opponent, namely combo decks. Yeah, a resolved titan is a beautiful thing, but if all you are doing until turn 3 or 4 is trying to resolve that titan I feel like most legacy decks will just run you over.

Do you have a hard time attacking with the eldrazi while playing ensnaring bridge? I also played around with cloudpost MUD control not too long ago. I ran metalworkers for quick starts and locus lands for the late game with the only winconditions being karn liberated and mishra's factory.

This was the last list I was running

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Vesuva
    3 Thespian's Stage
    3 Mishra's Factory

4 Metalworker
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Tangle Wire
    3 Staff of Domination
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Bottled Cloister
    2 Nevinyrral's Disk
    3 Karn Liberated
    1 Darksteel Forge

When you assemble the Staff + Metalworker combo, you can tun Mishra's factory into a 20/20 after it attacks under the ensnaring bridge, which I found to be more than enough to seal a game. Problem match-ups for me were delver lists, espicially RUG boarding into Ancient Grudge. Positive matchups seemed to be stoneblade and miracles.

e: I also remember keeping 4 Leyline of the Void in my sideboard because decks with Life from the Loam are nearly unwinable. Blood Moon wasn't so bad, as I recall, but recurring wastelands are something you may want to be prepared for.

Do you have a hard time attacking with the eldrazi while playing ensnaring bridge? I also played around with cloudpost MUD control not too long ago. I ran metalworkers for quick starts and locus lands for the late game with the only winconditions being karn liberated and mishra's factory.

This was the last list I was running

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Vesuva
    3 Thespian's Stage
    3 Mishra's Factory

4 Metalworker
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Tangle Wire
    3 Staff of Domination
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Bottled Cloister
    2 Nevinyrral's Disk
    3 Karn Liberated
    1 Darksteel Forge

When you assemble the Staff + Metalworker combo, you can tun Mishra's factory into a 20/20 after it attacks under the ensnaring bridge, which I found to be more than enough to seal a game. Problem match-ups for me were delver lists, espicially RUG boarding into Ancient Grudge. Positive matchups seemed to be stoneblade and miracles.

e: I also remember keeping 4 Leyline of the Void in my sideboard because decks with Life from the Loam are nearly unwinable. Blood Moon wasn't so bad, as I recall, but recurring wastelands are something you may want to be prepared for.
    So completely forgot that ensnaring bridge stops BOTH players from attacking, just havn't drawn it in testing yet (shows how little I have done).

I really like your list actually, how long have you been playing around with it?
    The bottled cloisture is cool with bridge but also risky, any artifact removal and there goes your hand.
    How are the disks? Are they better than oblivion stone? Can you crack them ever without forge out?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Turn 1 delver-flip - that is the problem of that deck. Why Stax doesn't seen so many plays as in Vintage ? You can't play resistor turn 1 constantly, but opponent can easily play thread turn 1, which you can't handle easily. Ensnaring Bridge isn't too great option.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Turn 1 delver-flip - that is the problem of that deck. Why Stax doesn't seen so many plays as in Vintage ? You can't play resistor turn 1 constantly, but opponent can easily play thread turn 1, which you can't handle easily. Ensnaring Bridge isn't too great option.
    This as well. I find that you have to win the dice roll against them to win. Ratchet Bomb helps too but it's a tall order to resolve it.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by sippingcider View Post
    I really like your list actually, how long have you been playing around with it?
    The bottled cloisture is cool with bridge but also risky, any artifact removal and there goes your hand.
    How are the disks? Are they better than oblivion stone? Can you crack them ever without forge out?
    I started playing some version of the list March 2012, though I retired it a few months ago when I started to downsize my Legacy collection. I think the last time I played it was around when Theros came out.
    Bottled cloister can definitely be risky, but you can mitigate a lot of the risk by saving it in-hand until you've cast everything else you wanted to. I can remember several times when I'd play the cloister thinking it was safe or just when I got greedy, and ended up losing some cards I wanted (such as the hands where it looks like you can go one turn Ensnaring Bridge, next turn cloister, follow up with Karn the next turn, only to lose both the cloister and karn), but more often, I remember cloister being an insane source of card draw after I'd emptied my hand onto the board.
    Disks are not great, but I wouldn't leave home without at least one. Most of the time, Staff of Domination can tap down any potential blockers when you're ready to win, but weird board states happen and sometimes its necessary to plague wind your opponent's board; TNN alone can cause this, or at least force you to attack with multiple Mishra's, but there's certainly other annoyances you may encounter that Karn and Staff can't get you out of (though I'm having a hard time thinking of any at the moment). I only ever remember casting them at the end of the game after comboing out and getting Forge online, or in the early game around turn 3. An early disk can be great if you start with cloudpost, then turn 2 maybe vesuva or another cloudpost, turn 3 disk. This should be enough to help stablize against quick starts or tell your opponent to slow down. Honestly though, the more I reflect on it, disk feels like it was more often +2 mana for Metalworker than it was wrath of god, perhaps O.Stone or All is Dust would be a better call.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What I never got a chance to playtest was Uba Mask. I find that if you have a bunch of spheres and no threat, eventually your opponent can just filter his draws via cantrip. You can argue that Chalice does a great job in stopping cantrips but its better to have an insurance policy in a format with Abrupt Decays and Treasure Cruises
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Thread Information