Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 29: Finally, a Use for Magic Online

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 29: Finally, a Use for Magic Online

In episode 29 of Everyday Eternal Matt Pavlic (sdematt), Sam Craven (dats me!), and Julian Knab (Julian23) wrap up the last of the new cards from Khans of Tarkir. There’s not a lot left, so the discussion quickly moves from the plane of the Khans to the realm of online Magic. Sam introduces us to the Vintage Super League, which he hopes will bring more attention and interest to Vintage. Julian shares stories from the recent Legacy MOCS – the only non-GP Legacy tournament that can be used to qualify for a Pro Tour.

Timestamps:
    00:00 Stubborn Denial
    03:32 Khans of Tarkir cards that just barely miss the cut: Treasure Cruise, Merderous Cut, Utter End, Empty the Pits
    11:29 Vintage Super League
    20:42 Legacy MOCS Qualifier
    39:53 General banter and outro

Links:
    Vintage Super League
    Vintage Super League YouTube Playlists
    Legacy MOCS Championship Decklists and Results

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 29: Finally, a Use for Magic Online

Did you guys miss the "boat" on Treasure Cruise?

I am such a loser.

Great cast guys.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Just listened this morning. Solid cast. The MTGO meta sounds horrid though. That really pushes me towards the never playing it boat. Also Matts comment about vintage was awesome:
    (paraphrasing here) "So I got on about 4 margaritas in to play a quick 2 man. It immediately fires and I see my opponent is Steve Menendian. Oh Shit"
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

For my taste a very shallow cards analysis happened here, with a lot of obvious interactions & applications skipped to discuss and therefore ending with questionable comments on the playability of certain cards.

Overall too many topics and not enough time to cover those with the quality we are used to listen to. :(
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I partly agree w. lemnear.

also, covering new cards just because there are new cards, gets boring.

Cover new cards if you have particular opinions, testing, results or suggestions (hoard it?) etc.

I have decided to give you guys enough credit to provide in depths analysis and thoughts on stuff.

so do it. :P
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    I partly agree w. lemnear.

also, covering new cards just because there are new cards, gets boring.

Cover new cards if you have particular opinions, testing, results or suggestions (hoard it?) etc.

I have decided to give you guys enough credit to provide in depths analysis and thoughts on stuff.

so do it. :P
    If I remember, part of this cast was lost due to Audacity dying while we were saving it. That's why it's not the usual 1 hour cast. I think a bunch of pieces were lost on Sam/Julians end, meaning we had to cut portions out because have me talking about it with gaps wasn't interesting enough (apparently )

We've already decided to end up redoing some of the sections, so let us know if there's cards in particular you want us to cover again, or just do all the interesting ones ;)

-Matt

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

I think you guys were horribly underestimating how good Treasure Cruise is, but we'll see what actually happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Blue got good cards, no unbannings, legacy is stale as month old bread, the end.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by L0cke View Post
    I think you guys were horribly underestimating how good Treasure Cruise is, but we'll see what actually happens!
    I think we can definitely re-cover Pleasure Cruise, but I see some problems here.

1) At what point does drawing three cards at sorcery speed become worth it? We know 5 mana isn't worth it, 4 mana isn't worth it, and 3 mana can be worth it (Shardless into Visions). So, for it to even be semi-good, you must delve at least 4 cards.

2) What does this draw spell replace? Is it Ponder, is it nothing? What slots do you take up with this card in current list? I've seen BUG or BURG Delver speculation with this card, but I foresee a problem. The first one may be good, but can you reliably cast multiples? What strategies are weakened by Delving all day, everyday? Tarmogoyf and DRS strategies are likely weakened.

3) Threat density. If Pleasure Cruise does get added in, with 4 Ponder 4 Brainstorm, I fear you end up drawing into cantrips into cantrips. While this does help fuel more Cruises (this name is fucking awful, by the way), where is your threat density? Sure, you can draw cards, but do you have enough cards that actually do something to win some games?

I think the card will see play as a 4-of in some decks for sure, but it's likely better as a 2-of Recall in more controlling decks like Esperblade. Drawing three cards there and Delving means nothing to that deck. You can't play it in RUG Delver, and I'm not sure what you're cutting in BUG Delver to make room for it. Sneak and Show won't play it, Storm can't play it, etc. I don't see it having enough oomph to see widespread, 4-of play.

-Matt

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Blue got good cards, no unbannings, legacy is stale as month old bread, the end.
    That's the sort of insightful analysis I was hoping to find when I launched the podcast. Instead I get some guys doing everything but making fun of people and things. What happened to this podcast?
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    That's the sort of insightful analysis I was hoping to find when I launched the podcast. Instead I get some guys doing everything but making fun of people and things. What happened to this podcast?
    I was busy at the scg atl playing Enchantress and losing to variance becuase I don't play brainponderstorm while they were recording this trainwreck of a cast.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Lots of Legacy elitism sneaking into the podcast. I do still enjoy most of the cast, but it seems more and more that there's this attitude of "I play Legacy and Vintage, and I have been for a long time, I'm so much smarter and better than these plebs who use Clan names/don't have Beta duals/screwed up this rare interaction/got unlucky."

More stuff like the Cabal Therapy episode would be awesome :)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    Lots of Legacy elitism sneaking into the podcast. I do still enjoy most of the cast, but it seems more and more that there's this attitude of "I play Legacy and Vintage, and I have been for a long time, I'm so much smarter and better than these plebs who use Clan names/don't have Beta duals/screwed up this rare interaction/got unlucky."

More stuff like the Cabal Therapy episode would be awesome :)
    The question is, is there more stuff to do that we've missed? Cabal Therapy is one of the cards you can do an episode like that, but if we did Brainstorm, as with anything Brainstorm, the uproar is tremendous, good and bad.

I'd like to get back to reviewing footage, since I think that's the most useful. Ideally, have one of us play Magic online, record the video, and have us talking over plays. We're working on it though, since scheduling with the European connection is a freaking nightmare.

Part of the problem is also Legacy tunnel vision. It's hard to know what people do and don't know when you have some experience with the format. I'd definitely LOVE suggestions on cards to talk about, plays to talk about, strategies, etc. Unfortunately looking at it right now, it's hard since I feel like I'd be repeating myself, even though maybe we're not.

tl: dr : Give us suggestions and I'll talk to death about them. Being in the trenches for so long makes you lose sight of things to talk about. Suggest, suggest, suggest!

-Matt

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Discuss hate bears, and which ones slot into various decks for different reasons. We have a plethora of different ones at this point/
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Discuss hate bears, and which ones slot into various decks for different reasons. We have a plethora of different ones at this point/
    This will go hand-in-hand with my work on EDH hatebears.dec
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

I think it would be cool to get a rundown of any surprising decks or cool sideboard tech coming out of non-SCG tournaments (or SCG tournaments, but we all already look pretty carefully at those). European players have a reputation for successful innovation, and it would be nice to have some help with all of that data. You even have a German champion with Elves, ruler of Gaea's Realm and our rightful Magical overlord, long may he reign. Maybe he could read some more card names for us.

I too would really like to hear that hatebear episode.
    Last edited by Lormador; 09-25-2014 at 06:24 PM.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    You even have a German guy.
    Let's try this again: a German champion with Elves.

bruizar

I might be the exception here, but I for one refuse to watch MTGO or MWS games. A large part of the charm of mtg is the actual physical cards. Otherwise i'd much rather watch League of Legends, or even Hearthstone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    3) Threat density. If Pleasure Cruise does get added in, with 4 Ponder 4 Brainstorm, I fear you end up drawing into cantrips into cantrips. While this does help fuel more Cruises (this name is fucking awful, by the way), where is your threat density? Sure, you can draw cards, but do you have enough cards that actually do something to win some games?
    Well, there's Young Pyromancer. A Grixis Pyromancer build seems like it could be spicy. You have Bainstorm, Cruise, Thoughtseize, Hymn, Bolt, and then a creature base of Delver, DRS, Pyro, and then either TNN or maybe Clique if you'd rather try to operate mostly at instant speed.

I'm not sure if it's good, but then I'm not sure Treasure Cruise is good. I think Dig Through Time has more potential but UU kind of constrains it.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Julian said he had missed the VSL. Don't you guys read the forums?

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-Super-League

Plus, how can you miss it? It's just awesome. And I think the title for this cast is incredibly fitting.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Thread Information