Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cube: Beta - The Dark

Re: Cube: Beta - The Dark

I'm just chiming in to voice my approval. I have a similar Cube myself, except for only having one of each card. Bad manabases and suboptimal card choices are part of the experience. The biggest pain is always having to pull put Juzam #4 whenever there is a '94 event. Keep up the good work.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Phreshdawg View Post
    I'm just chiming in to voice my approval.
    Thanks dawg!

Magic was SOOOO good back then. Great cube, man.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post

For starters, green. Green is terrible in these sets.
    Green is good in dark or antiquities limited. Decent in nights. Not good in beta. Mono colored sucks in legends. Overall in this cube it isn't what you want to be drafting. Outside of fastbond, or erhnam the color has actual nothing over the others. You could push up to like 12 grizzly bears and beat out most other 2 drops until beta knights or erg raiders hit play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

One of the biggest issues with my '93-94 Cube is an inability to deal with enchantments. If you look at everything, there are less than ten ways to destroy them in the card pool. I watched a friend of mine run wild with a Flood one time. It was kind of immasculating.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

After much contemplation, I have decided to expand the card pool! This cube now includes all sets from Beta through Alliances. I have added Fallen Empires, Homelands, Ice Age, and Alliances.

The cube still is not officially highlander, but I am no longer using multiple copies of any cards if the art is the same. So I get to continue using multiple copies of Mishra's Factory, Strip Mine, etc. Ice Age had a lot of reprints, so I can continue using multiple copies of Swords to Plowshares, Giant Growth, Counterspell, etc.

There are also some functionally similar cards in the added sets so Order of the Ebon Hand took the spot of Black Knight #2. Pillage replaced Stone Rain #2, and so on.

I will post the full card list when I get a chance.

I completed my basic lands! All 150 are finally black bordered (Beta).
    I have also slowly been picking up black bordered cards to replace the ugly Revised ones. I now only need 39 more cards in Beta for the entire cube to be black bordered!

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I completed my basic lands! All 150 are finally black bordered (Beta).
    I have also slowly been picking up black bordered cards to replace the ugly Revised ones. I now only need 39 more cards in Beta for the entire cube to be black bordered!
    No pictures!?!?!

Sounds super cool. It's too easy to get hung-up on singleton cubes. Would love to see a list.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    No pictures!?!?!
    Of course! Where are my manners?

Here's what I gained from the changes:

And here's just a few fun cards to look at.

Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-11-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Dude, that's so awesome. To be honest, at first I wasn't sold on the BB only concept, but I feel like because of it, the cube probably plays out so differently from anything else that it must be a blast.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Looks like it's been about half a year since I've commented on this! Here's what I've learned and the direction this project is going in now.

Coming up with a 'set-in-stone' list of cards from Beta - The Dark sounded awesome. Then I did it, and it was awesome! But getting 8 people to play a cube when most players (myself included) want to play with their cards at the LGS was tedious and discouraging. Especially considering the cube takes up the same space as 3 EDH decks in my bag, and there's a lot of value to just leave sitting in my car.

I got reinvigorated by deciding to extend the card pool through Alliances and allow 1 of each card (highlander, previously this wasn't the case), unless the card has multiple arts. So I could include a Beta Giant Growth and an Ice Age Giant Growth if I was so inclined. This was also awesome and fixed some flaws the limited card pool posed, but the issue of convincing 7 other people I trust not to abuse my cards to dedicate 4 hours to draft still severely limited the amount of play the cube saw.

Then I bought an Antiquities playset of the Tron lands because they look cool, but had no outlet to use them...

So I got to thinking... and realized that a good portion of the joy I got from this project was in constructing the limited pool. And convincing 3 other people to draft a cube is far easier than 7. So I've committed to obtaining 1 of each card from Beta - Alliances to go into my 'pool'. There will obviously be limitations to this, as I still do not intend to use proxies or mock-ups, but by the end it will be easier for me to list the cards that aren't included than the cards that are.

This also lets me tailor the card pool in various ways which may or may not prove fun. I figure I'll document the pools as I create them, post photos and thoughts, and learn along the way. An 8 player cube will still be possible if I get a group committed ahead of time, but more than likely you'll see posts about a 4 player cube going forward.

Here are some of the themes I'm excited to explore:

- Tribal: Not just Goblins, Elves, Merfolk, Soldiers and Zombies! Orcs, Homarids, Thrulls, Thallids, and Clerics too.
    - Artifacts Matter: Who can assemble Tron? Do you draft strong artifacts or go after all the artifact hate?
    - Ante: I've always wanted to give this a try.
    - Multicolor: Focus the pool on multicolor cards or cards that promote a multicolor strategy.
    - Color Matters: A lot of the early cards hate particularly hard on the enemy color. And some focus on changing the colors/text of cards.
    - Good Stuff: Self explanatory.
    - Snow Matters: This is probably a sub-theme as the card pool for it is very limited.
    - Legends: A majority of the creature-base is limited to Legendary creatures.

Anyways, unlike before anything goes. Banding and Rampage are fair game. It's easier to explain that crap to 3 other people than 7.
    Looking forward to sharing how this develops! Although it will likely be some time before I have something worth sharing.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 03-01-2017 at 12:54 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Here's most of the lands I've got.

Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-11-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Can I come over?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

I am in love with this thread. I wish I had played it sometime when I was still in the Philly area. Going through and looking at all the pictures is amazing. The card art is from a time when magic cards actually used real art, and they look beautiful. Not the dumpster fire trash digital copy/paste hackjobs these apes get paid to put out now.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    I am in love with this thread. I wish I had played it sometime when I was still in the Philly area. Going through and looking at all the pictures is amazing. The card art is from a time when magic cards actually used real art, and they look beautiful. Not the dumpster fire trash digital copy/paste hackjobs these apes get paid to put out now.
    Agreed. Back in the day the art evoked a sense of, gasp, magic. Now they crank out pixar bad guy Eldrazi that make my eyes want to barf.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    Can I come over?
    Absolutely! Bring beer.

I intend to keep filling this thread with photos, hopefully with unique and interesting board states! But for now I am in 'acquisition mode' so it will be mostly static shots of the card pool.

I am 9 cards away from having White finished. At this time, I have no desire to include Shahrazad or Divine Intervention, and I am priced out of including Moat. Everything else is fair game, although a handful will continue to be Revised as I shift the focus from '100% black-border' to 'getting playable cards'.

Cards in White I still need:
    Blaze of Glory
    Animate Wall
    Lifeblood
    Reverse Damage
    Cleanse
    Northern Paladin
    Jihad
    Farmstead
    Purelace

Revised cards that eventually need to be upgraded to Beta:
    Serra Angel
    Wrath of God
    Armageddon
    Crusade
    Savannah Lions
    Swords to Plowshares
    Balance

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Well that was mind-numbing... I switched all the photos from photobucket and edited the posts, so you can see cards again.

I've been concentrating on artifacts a bit. Here's some of the more recent stuff:

I'm only missing Clockwork Beast from all the artifact creatures. And I have a Revised copy in the meantime.

A few more fun shots:

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Recently picked up a few low-end cards.

And of course, some photos just cause:

Good

Evil

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Finishing off the cycle:

Fire

Water

Nature

In other news... I sold off a Modern deck and an EDH deck to pick up more cards for the cube. Prices for Reserved List cards are going nuts, so I want to get as many of the ones I'm missing as possible!

I should have a package arriving this week.

I'm also veeery slowly updating the OP.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Package showed up!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Another package!

Thread Information