Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards that need to be reprinted for Modern

Cards that need to be reprinted for Modern

I've been looking at Revised Edition cards that fill a needed role in the Modern metagame and would not be overpowered if they were reprinted. This is a small list that I'd like to see available for brewing. Feel free to add your own favorites to the list as well as comment on people's choices.

Criteria that I used include: not a part of an instant speed combo, no fast mana that exceeds the current level available, no cards that would become an auto-include or power card in the format.

#1 - Meekstone

No errata needed. This would give small creature lists an answer to big finishers and it would give creature tap down sources more utility.

#2 - Winter Orb

Already reprinted and errata'd to function whether tapped or not. Would give mana disruption another tool. Would widen the meta significantly. Abrupt Decay says it would not be abused.

#3 - Glasses of Urza

Decent sideboard card against control. Hard to abuse.

#4 Ivory Tower

Decent control card unlikely to unbalance anything.

#5 Nevinyrral's Disk

A fun card with a moderate power level that is reached or exceeded by several other cards at this point. And, just because - it's a fun card to play and doesn't win the game.

#6 Paralyze

A cheap enabler for black control. Would combo with Meekstone in some cases but unlikely to cause real problems.

#7 Zombie Master

A flavorful lord that might actually be used in a tribe mostly ignored.

#8 Tsunami

Flashfires is legal, why is Tsunami not? Blue has the counterspells after all.

Cards considered but not included:

Ankh of Mishra - too strong in Burn and Aggro in general, Armageddon - too disruptive for a large part of the format, Energy Flux - hoses Affinity too much, Sedge Troll - already have Sedge Sliver and nobody plays it, Library of Leng - maybe later, could be abusive with Ivory Tower which is a better add.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Cards that need to be reprinted for Modern

I've been wanting a few cards for a while.

Soothsaying: because Counterbalance wouldn't be broken, it'd just be played (maybe not even then).

Innocent Blood: flavorful removal that's great against a lot of the format's bullshit. I've always been a huge fan of this card.

Cabal Therapy: Skill tester and sac outlet, what more can you want? Dredge styles aren't powerful enough yet to make me think it'd be broken.

Basking Rootwalla: I don't see any broken plays with this, including turn 2 Vengevine via Lotleth Troll. Seriously, I think this would help decks that don't really compete for the top of the lists right now.

Force of Will: Hate me all you want, but this card is absolutely fair in Modern. I'm not even sure it's an auto-include in most blue decks as a lot of them don't run many blue spells.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Cursed Totem would be nice
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Cursed Totem would be nice
    Curious as to why? Another shut-off for Twin? (Needle and Torpor Orb achieve this) Elves isn't a competitive deck, and the way most are built are for aggro rather than combo.

I would love to see Sneak Attack reprinted (oh hi Reserve List, you're not invited to this party!).
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I think Dust Bowl would be interesting to play with in Modern. Seems like a fair piece of non-basic hate.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Curious as to why? Another shut-off for Twin? (Needle and Torpor Orb achieve this) Elves isn't a competitive deck, and the way most are built are for aggro rather than combo.
    Just another versatile answer to twin, pod (and the mana dorks in pod), steel overseer, griselbrand (as rare as that is), and probably others that I'm not thinking of. It's a similar effect that is different enough and not overly powerful that I think would give another angle of hate for the format's top decks to contend with.

I was trying to think of cards that would just be a good addition to the format in terms of an effect, but not backbreaking for any particular reason. Cursed Totem fits that mold.

Oh, and the combo lover in me would love to see Impulse in Modern as well.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Just another versatile answer to twin, pod (and the mana dorks in pod), steel overseer, griselbrand (as rare as that is), and probably others that I'm not thinking of. It's a similar effect that is different enough and not overly powerful that I think would give another angle of hate for the format's top decks to contend with.

I was trying to think of cards that would just be a good addition to the format in terms of an effect, but not backbreaking for any particular reason. Cursed Totem fits that mold.

Oh, and the combo lover in me would love to see Impulse in Modern as well.
    I agree here. Totem would be an excellent addition. Maybe make a hate bear version of the card?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I agree here. Totem would be an excellent addition. Maybe make a hate bear version of the card?
    I think I would prefer Totem proper, personally - unless you mean something like Phyrexian Revoker. I like that any deck can play Totem, and would hate to see it restricted to a specific color.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

I would LOVE to see a Goblin Welder reprint, since I think the card is fun to play with and build around. And in terms of power level, while strong, it's super easy to kill.

While we're on the subject of Urza's Legacy 1-drops with good tap abilities, what do people think about bringing Mother of Runes into the Modern fold?

I'd only be happy with Mom's arrival if more cheap all purpose removal arrived at the same time. Mother of Runes + Pernicious Deed would be ok.

She's just so oppressive as a 1-drop if you can't remove her before she becomes active.

She's one of the two cards that is missing that would make D&T hands down the best deck in the format, the other one being Karakas

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Goblin Welder does seem rather interesting in Modern. Probably not overpowered or anything in the format either.

Mom on the other hand... I can't see how she is healthy in such a creature/attacking heavy format.

Of the cards mentioned here, I can get behind Therapy, Force, Dust Bowl, Innocent Blood, and Deed. Disk would probably be fine too.

I'm torn on Mother of Runes. I like that it gives a hefty buff to creatures, but Mother of Runes board states can get super stalled pretty quickly.

Misdirection is worth a mention here, too IMO.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    Of the cards mentioned here, I can get behind Therapy, Force, Dust Bowl, Innocent Blood, and Deed. Disk would probably be fine too.

I'm torn on Mother of Runes. I like that it gives a hefty buff to creatures, but Mother of Runes board states can get super stalled pretty quickly.

Misdirection is worth a mention here, too IMO.
    Dread of Night would need to be reprinted along with Mom, and WOTC isn't a fan of giving one-sided hosers to colors that aren't white nowadays.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Dread of Night would need to be reprinted along with Mom, and WOTC isn't a fan of giving one-sided hosers to colors that aren't white nowadays.
    There are ways to beat her, like Forked Bolt, Golagri Charm, Jedi Mind Tricks, and others, but she is quite a problem card. I don't think she'd break Modern, but the format is probably better off without her.

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

Just Innocent Blood and Pernicious Deed so I can play bug control here.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by theBloody View Post
    Just Innocent Blood and Pernicious Deed so I can play bug control here.
    This. Would love both of those cards.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I've been wanting a few cards for a while.

Soothsaying: because Counterbalance wouldn't be broken, it'd just be played (maybe not even then).

Innocent Blood: flavorful removal that's great against a lot of the format's bullshit. I've always been a huge fan of this card.

Cabal Therapy: Skill tester and sac outlet, what more can you want? Dredge styles aren't powerful enough yet to make me think it'd be broken.

Basking Rootwalla: I don't see any broken plays with this, including turn 2 Vengevine via Lotleth Troll. Seriously, I think this would help decks that don't really compete for the top of the lists right now.

Force of Will: Hate me all you want, but this card is absolutely fair in Modern. I'm not even sure it's an auto-include in most blue decks as a lot of them don't run many blue spells.
    Couldn't agree more. I would really love to see soothsaying in modern. Force of will or a similar card would allow the format to police itself instead of wizards needing to bust out the banhammer on stuff to keep it a "four turn format."

Goblin Welder also strikes me as a card that would be fun to build around or play in modern. I can imagine a neat U/R archetype coming up around it with cards like thirst for knowledge to get crazy value.

Cabal therapy would also help current B/X decks get the bump they need.

Basking Rootwalla would be interesting and I can get behind it.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

there really is no reason why modern shouldn't be legacy excluding reserve list cards. Reprint everything...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    there really is no reason why modern shouldn't be legacy excluding reserve list cards. Reprint everything...
    Because a tonne of stuff probably becomes unbalanced. They also don't want it to just be 'another legacy', so they don't want Dark Ritual -> Tendrils to be a deck. Pyretic Ritual is the best Ritual we have, which says a lot about the format. A nut draw can go off on T2, and a decent draw can go off on T3, but that requires you to have basically zero interaction with your opponent, or two engine pieces. (T2 play an Ascension, it dies, T3 play Electroman.) That's a hard combo deck. Soft combo decks kill on T4 if they get a little lucky, or their opponent simply isn't playing Magic. It's a format that is designed to have more opportunities for interaction, and be more focused as a game of Magic. Weird cards fro Alliances, and huge mistakes like Force of Will are simply not in the format.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    Because a tonne of stuff probably becomes unbalanced. They also don't want it to just be 'another legacy', so they don't want Dark Ritual -> Tendrils to be a deck. Pyretic Ritual is the best Ritual we have, which says a lot about the format. A nut draw can go off on T2, and a decent draw can go off on T3, but that requires you to have basically zero interaction with your opponent, or two engine pieces. (T2 play an Ascension, it dies, T3 play Electroman.) That's a hard combo deck. Soft combo decks kill on T4 if they get a little lucky, or their opponent simply isn't playing Magic. It's a format that is designed to have more opportunities for interaction, and be more focused as a game of Magic. Weird cards fro Alliances, and huge mistakes like Force of Will are simply not in the format.
    it wouldn't matter how powerful the format was because the other cards would keep it in check, like legacy... its really an all or nothing proposition.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information