Thread: Modern deck advice (300-350€ budget)

MWS-style: Draw 7, 6 lands, mull, 0 lands, mull, 4 lands...

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Modern deck advice (300-350€ budget)

Hi all, I'm writing here after 3 years since I stopped playing (and probably stupidly sold every card I had except a little number), and with two big questions, but first the facts.

I own a legacy dredge deck short only of 4 LEDs (yes, yes "only 4 LEDs"...), and the first question is: having 300-350€ of budget is it better to directly buy the 4 LEDs and do some legacy tournaments OR sell the dredge deck (worth of 100€) and create a new modern deck from scratch (which is a format more widely played in my neighborhood).

If so, which modern deck I could play with a 300-350€ budget? Bearing in mind that I own only 5 fetches (2 UB, 1 RG, 2 WG) and no other staples whatsoever.

I have a few ideas but I'd rather listen to you as I didn't play for the last 3 years and I don't know the metagame/tier decks very well.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Re: Modern deck advice (300-350€ budget)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
    Hi all, I'm writing here after 3 years since I stopped playing (and probably stupidly sold every card I had except a little number), and with two big questions, but first the facts.

I own a legacy dredge deck short only of 4 LEDs (yes, yes "only 4 LEDs"...), and the first question is: having 300-350€ of budget is it better to directly buy the 4 LEDs and do some legacy tournaments OR sell the dredge deck (worth of 100€) and create a new modern deck from scratch (which is a format more widely played in my neighborhood).

If so, which modern deck I could play with a 300-350€ budget? Bearing in mind that I own only 5 fetches (2 UB, 1 RG, 2 WG) and no other staples whatsoever.

I have a few ideas but I'd rather listen to you as I didn't play for the last 3 years and I don't know the metagame/tier decks very well.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I posted in the wrong section.
    Depends on what you want to do, Do you love legacy as a whole and dredge as a deck? If more people in your area play modern, play modern and win, and buy back into legacy with winnings. What is your play style? Do you like attacking or playing control style cards? or both?
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I agree with Jon that it really depends on what you do and don't like to do. Modern and Legacy play very differently (obviously), and you can choose a deck that fits your playstyle in modern. What do you like to play? I think we can give you better advice if you come up with something.

Other than that, burn is always extremely affordable and switching a few cards out lets you play Legacy or Modern. But then you'd have to play burn, so there's that. Something like Merfolk is viable in Modern and lets you slowly build into a Legacy playable version, even though that deck isn't well placed in legacy right now. Same thing more or less with Affinity, though it's more expensive overall.

What do you like to play?

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Thanks for the answers.
    I like better legacy for the sole fact that I've never played modern before, and I like dredge as a deck, but when I stopped playing there weren't things like grafdigger's cage, terminus, deathrite shaman and rest in peace, and I don't know if I'd be able to play competitively again with those new cards (evading a tormod or relic was much easier) that almost every competitive deck uses, even maindeck.

I like to play aggrocontrol or combo decks (expecially with blue), if I'm going to play aggro it has to be with intelligent/versatile creatures, not aggro like zoo or the like.
    Problem is, in legacy the "intelligent aggro" is death and taxes which costs over 500€ only for the lands...and blue cards now cost a couple of kidneys.
    Moreover legacy is played only in big tournaments in my region, so I could play only 3-4 times per year, which is displeasing to say the least.

That's why I asked advice in the modern section, I think it's the only way I could be back playing magic.

I know burn is cheap and strong, but I really dislike being at topdeck and having almost no answers but speed, so I was leaning towards Scapeshift or UR ascension, but I don't know if they are viable nowadays, Scapeshift seems so, but I fear the blue splash would cost me a lot.

Any other deck?
    Thank you again!

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

http://supergamesinc.com/magic/ptq-k...p-8-decklists/

Check the first deck on the list. Tylers deck is very solid and seems like something you may enjoy.
    Soldier Stompy

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    http://supergamesinc.com/magic/ptq-k...p-8-decklists/

Check the first deck on the list. Tylers deck is very solid and seems like something you may enjoy.
    I like it, but it would cost over 600€ , exists a way to optimize it with my budget (up to 400€ max, starting from scratch as I only own bolts and basic lands for that list) without cutting too much of its power?
    Thanks again!

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Have you checked out Splinter Twin at all? It's a blue based combo kill deck that usually wins half of its games by just beating the opponent to death and controlling the board. Something like: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8226&d=247344&f=MO

The fetchlands can be switched out for any blue fetches really, if you have or can draft the new ones those would save you a lot of money. Cryptic Command is stupidly expensive now, but at least this version only runs 2.

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Have you checked out Splinter Twin at all? It's a blue based combo kill deck that usually wins half of its games by just beating the opponent to death and controlling the board. Something like: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8226&d=247344&f=MO

The fetchlands can be switched out for any blue fetches really, if you have or can draft the new ones those would save you a lot of money. Cryptic Command is stupidly expensive now, but at least this version only runs 2.
    Hmm, seems really good, I have 2 polluted deltas as my only left blue fetches.
    What about an UWR delver build? I've found this list but I don't know if it's a standard one, sure it fits my budget, but how strong it is compared to twin and UWr control?

19 LANDS
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Steam Vents
    2 Island
    1 Seachrome Coast
    1 Sacred Foundry
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Sulfur Falls
    1 Celestial Colonnade
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    15 CREATURES
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    26 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Remand
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Electrolyze
    2 Spell Snare

I'm sorry if I seem undecided, but I truly am, this is a completely new format for me.
    Thanks again!

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
    Hmm, seems really good, I have 2 polluted deltas as my only left blue fetches.
    What about an UWR delver build? I've found this list but I don't know if it's a standard one, sure it fits my budget, but how strong it is compared to twin and UWr control?

19 LANDS
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Steam Vents
    2 Island
    1 Seachrome Coast
    1 Sacred Foundry
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Sulfur Falls
    1 Celestial Colonnade
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    15 CREATURES
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    26 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Remand
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Electrolyze
    2 Spell Snare

I'm sorry if I seem undecided, but I truly am, this is a completely new format for me.
    Thanks again!
    This list looks pretty solid to me, if you like the looks of it I can definitely see it getting some wins. A lot of Modern is knowing how to play against each deck, and I think this one would be a good one to enter the format with, lots of permission and a fairly fast clock.

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

This list looks pretty solid to me, if you like the looks of it I can definitely see it getting some wins. A lot of Modern is knowing how to play against each deck, and I think this one would be a good one to enter the format with, lots of permission and a fairly fast clock.
    What are, in your opinion, the worst cards and matchup of that list? Or, to say it in other words, do you suggest any changes to that list? and which advice would you give for an embrional sideboard?
    I also read somewhere else that geist is not that good anymore, but a lot of top8 lately seem to prove otherwise, I'm confused.
    I'd also like to play some spellstutter sprites to protect my creatures from bolts and paths, but that would cut too many spell...
    aaah, hard decisions...hard decisions everywhere!

Thanks again

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Spellstutter sprite is extremely underwhelming in Modern, and only can really be used in faerie lists (which don't place well, generally).

That list is kind of a mash up of the UWR aggro decks and a slightly more control version. All the cards are decent on their own, the only thing I don't like initially is only have 26 spells for Delver and Pyromancer. Geists could be cut to save money, but then I'd cut most of the white as well since Path isn't much better a removal spell than Bolts anyway. Geist is one of those cards that depends on your metagame. If you are running into decks with maindeck pyroclasm/anger of the gods/wrath of god/other sweeper you're going to get smashed with this current setup. Replacing geists with more cantrips or something gives you more game against that style.

If you're looking for that deck but in a slightly more linear direction, I've played http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-UR-Pyromancer and it's quite fun. White gives you more options against most decks but I think you'd have a really hard time against Tron and decks running Anger of the Gods, specifically.

But again, if you're just getting into Modern I think any of those are good choices. A lot of decks can be retooled to beat your metagame, but you need to play some before you start seeing which decks your own deck loses to, and which decks you lose to because of misplaying against them (frequently things like Twin and Pod are much harder to play against than you'd think).

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Spellstutter sprite is extremely underwhelming in Modern, and only can really be used in faerie lists (which don't place well, generally).

That list is kind of a mash up of the UWR aggro decks and a slightly more control version. All the cards are decent on their own, the only thing I don't like initially is only have 26 spells for Delver and Pyromancer. Geists could be cut to save money, but then I'd cut most of the white as well since Path isn't much better a removal spell than Bolts anyway. Geist is one of those cards that depends on your metagame. If you are running into decks with maindeck pyroclasm/anger of the gods/wrath of god/other sweeper you're going to get smashed with this current setup. Replacing geists with more cantrips or something gives you more game against that style.

If you're looking for that deck but in a slightly more linear direction, I've played http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-UR-Pyromancer and it's quite fun. White gives you more options against most decks but I think you'd have a really hard time against Tron and decks running Anger of the Gods, specifically.

But again, if you're just getting into Modern I think any of those are good choices. A lot of decks can be retooled to beat your metagame, but you need to play some before you start seeing which decks your own deck loses to, and which decks you lose to because of misplaying against them (frequently things like Twin and Pod are much harder to play against than you'd think).
    I really like your UR list, it seems fast and consistent with all those manipulations.
    I should proxy a couple of lists (UWr and straight UR) and playtest them, you have been a huge help to me, thanks
    I'll let you know the results!
    Thanks again to you and Jon.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I have a reallu sweet list I played last night. Its budget and extremely conpetetive. I will shoot the list when I get off work.
    Soldier Stompy

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have a reallu sweet list I played last night. Its budget and extremely conpetetive. I will shoot the list when I get off work.
    I'm looking forward to see it!

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Here's what I play:

// Lands
    3 [FUT] Tolaria West
    4 [AQ] Urza's Power Plant (1)
    4 [CH] Urza's Tower (1)
    4 [AQ] Urza's Mine (1)
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    8 [IN] Island (1)
    1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
    1 [PRE] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
    2 [NPH] Batterskull
    1 Dig Through Time / 1 Batterskull
    4 [MR] Oblivion Stone
    4 [HOP] Thirst for Knowledge
    1 [MR] Mindslaver
    4 [GP] Repeal
    4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    4 [RAV] Remand
    2 [M10] Fabricate
    4 [DD2] Condescend
    2 [9E] Mana Leak
    1 [MMA] Spell Snare
    1 [NPH] Dismember

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [MMA] Spell Snare
    SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite
    SB: 1 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 [M10] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [MPR] Negate
    SB: 4 [10E] Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void

I don't play it because of budget though--I think the deck is very powerful and have good records with it. You could play without the skites in the board if you want to reduce cost; they just happen to be very good in my current meta. Can definitely be made on your budget and few of the expensive cards are very narrow in terms of the decks they can be played in.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Look up Travis Woo's articles for modern brews on Channel Fireball. He's covered a ton of decks and a variety of play styles. It's a good place to get some ideas.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Here is what I will be playing and tuning in the coming weeks,

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Treasure Cruise
    4 Vapor Snag
    2 Pillar of Flame
    4 Serum Visions
    1 Twisted Image
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Forked Bolt

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    4 Steam Vents
    2 Red or Blue Fetch
    2 Sulfur Falls
    3 Mountain
    Soldier Stompy

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

@ Valtrix: good list, but a bit too controllish for my tastes, not that the deck isn't good per se, of course! But I'll write down the list nevertheless

@ Jon: very nice list! But aren't you a little too exposed with only 3 counters? I totally love the treasure cruise in this shell though.
    Just another question: why not use Void Snare, which can hit planeswalkers, artifacts and enchantments too, instead of Vapor snag, since you are already forced to play instants and sorceries in your turn due to the swiftspear.
    Now if only the goblin guides didn't cost 15€ each ...

Jul 2013
    Detroit, MI

I think UR Delver is the best budget deck right now. You can play Khans of Tarkir off-color fetches until you save up for Tarns and you can play Young Pyromancer instead of Goblin Guides. Eventually you can branch out into the UWR tempo lists if that's more your style.

EDIT: by "off-color fetches" I mean off of UR.

Jun 2008
    Padova, Italy

So I finally built an UR delver deck as for now I think it's pretty strong, so moderators can close the thread.
    Thanks to everyone again, you have been really helpful to me.

Thread Information