Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Jeskai Ascendency Combo

Re: Jeskai Ascendency Combo

Rich updated his list earlier today if y'all want the new version? (He's a friend of mine, we go to school & play together 😊)

Quote Originally Posted by valendras View Post
    rich updated his list earlier today if y'all want the new version? (he's a friend of mine, we go to school & play together 😊)
    give iiit!

Edit: Please :)

Straight from his Facebook 😊 I'm sure he wouldn't mind (I know he wouldn't actually lol, I asked him)
    Attached Images

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Interesting indeed, I think 5 is the right number too, but Izzet Charm and triple MD Pyroblast seems a bit risky.

Mar 2012
    Karlsruhe
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Truss them up in a runnin' bowline

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Interesting indeed, I think 5 is the right number too, but Izzet Charm and triple MD Pyroblast seems a bit risky.
    Pyroblast keeps you going: It can target a non-blue permanent but only destroys the permanent if it is blue. So, you can cast it targeting a forest (unlike Red Elemental Blast), the spell will resolve, but the forest will not be destroyed.

Granted, it isn't great when you are looking to dig into an Ascendency, but once you are going, it won't hold you back.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I think the issue is what is it doing while you're getting ready to combo, but I guess in the matches you don't need it it doesn't matter too much?

Quote Originally Posted by cab0747 View Post
    Granted, it isn't great when you are looking to dig into an Ascendency, but once you are going, it won't hold you back.
    Like Lightning Bolt, Pyroblast is the sort of card that you expect to do work before the combo comes on-line. In decks that have a draw-go approach, there are too many good things to counter. You can also cast pyroblast to get Young Pyromancer tokens. Once you're going off, you would, of course, much rather see cantrips, but it's better than a land.

Man.. all these changes seem fine, but Drew Levin's counter top version just looked very strong in his videos. I tried playtesting it a bit yesterday, it's pretty tough to just pick up and play if you aren't experienced, but the power is definitely there.
    It really helps shore up some of the bad matchups we have. He goes down to 1 life and then combos off without an ascendancy in play to start the turn (finds it and then goes off). But, he had delayed his opponent so much that he then had 6 mana on that turn, so it was easy.

My point being, with ascendancy costing 3 mana, you have to do something to stall your opponent while you build up your manabase and top/counterbalance is perfect for this. Not only does it help you dig to find the ascendancy, but locks some decks out of the game.

Oh, and btw, his match where he blind flips a fatestitcher to counter JTMS and his opponent just immediately scoops is one of the funniest things I've seen in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Like Lightning Bolt, Pyroblast is the sort of card that you expect to do work before the combo comes on-line. In decks that have a draw-go approach, there are too many good things to counter. You can also cast pyroblast to get Young Pyromancer tokens. Once you're going off, you would, of course, much rather see cantrips, but it's better than a land.
    Exactly. It has uses (especially right now) and even when there is not a blue permanent/spell it can still be used to trigger ascendency to pump creatures, loot, and create tokens. Three may seem a bit high, but Rich is moderately intelligent I am sure he has thought about this number quite a bit. Give 3 a shot, if it hinders you too much, then cut one and continue testing, I would guess.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by enzee View Post
    Man.. all these changes seem fine, but Drew Levin's counter top version just looked very strong in his videos. I tried playtesting it a bit yesterday, it's pretty tough to just pick up and play if you aren't experienced, but the power is definitely there.
    It really helps shore up some of the bad matchups we have. He goes down to 1 life and then combos off without an ascendancy in play to start the turn (finds it and then goes off). But, he had delayed his opponent so much that he then had 6 mana on that turn, so it was easy.

My point being, with ascendancy costing 3 mana, you have to do something to stall your opponent while you build up your manabase and top/counterbalance is perfect for this. Not only does it help you dig to find the ascendancy, but locks some decks out of the game.

Oh, and btw, his match where he blind flips a fatestitcher to counter JTMS and his opponent just immediately scoops is one of the funniest things I've seen in weeks.
    I played against him testing this deck. I can't see the video to see if I'm one of his victims but the deck was indeed quite cool. The biggest advantage he had against me was that I didn't see any of the combo game 1. As a result, my sideboarding was all kinds of not-right. One word of warning: He tweeted at me that while he thought the deck was really cool, it might not be playable on MTGO due to the number of triggers you have to go through, especially if your opponent doesn't see the combo and concede.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The list I played last sunday to a terrible 1-4 didn't have Fatestitcher a)because I underestimated it b) don't have any
    Going over the situations that occured, I realized that I suck and should have played it. CB/top was awesome for me all day. And sometimes really just hid what we are trying to do game 1.
    The match I won was hilariously by bashing with doped up Elemental tokens and game 2 with RiP+Helm. I combo'ed 0 times with Conclave which leaves me biased about it.
    One game vs Jund I got the infinite chain going with double top, but once in declare attackers it got Pyroblasted.
    Obviously if I would have had Fatestitcher in my list I would have been able to return it aswell and create 2 deadly attackers. Lesson learned.
    Levin's list looks good, only I recommend 4 top's. You always want them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

I really like Levin's list, except I'm not sure about his suggestion at the end of the article to cut 3 Probe, 1 Pyroblast for 4 YP. I like Pyromancer, but it seems like cuts could be made elsewhere since you need a critical mass of cantrips to start going off with Ascendancy. 4 CB looked awkward for him in several matches, so I might shave 1 of those, and honestly 20 lands is a lot - definitely think you could cut 1-2 of those.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Has anyone tested Wind Zendikon yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Brad Nelson posted some video's yesterday in which he plays with Zendikon against D&T. It's premiumcontent, so not yet visible.

Took this list to my local legacy tournament tonight:

1x Arid Mesa
    4x Brainstorm
    1x Dig through time
    2x Faerie Conclave
    4x Fatestitcher
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Force of Will
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Island
    4x Jeskai Ascendancy
    2x Lightning Bolt
    1x Mountain
    3x Ponder
    2x Pyroblast
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Thought scour
    4x Treasure Cruise
    3x Tundra
    3x Volcanic Island
    3x Young Pyromancer

SB:
    2x Hydroblast
    2x Kor Firewalker
    2x Meddling Mage
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Plains
    1x Sulfur Elemental
    3x Surgical Extraction
    2x Wear // Tear

Record: 4-1 in matches

Swiss:

Death and Taxes: 2-1
    Goblin Prison: 0-2
    Foodchain: 2-0
    Infect: 2-0

Top 8:

Miricles: 2-1

Top 4: Split

Death and Taxes: 2-1

He took game 1 after I decided not to FoW his turn 1 Mom and drew a bun of my removal. I was able to stick an Ascendency, be he had a revoker on Fatestitcher and a Plow for my Faerie Conclave and lethal on board. Game 2 I was able to control his board and combo'd off pretty quickly. Game 3 I had a turn 3 Sulfur Elemental which killed his Thalia, The next turn he played his 2nd and 3rd Vial, and I drew Ascendency and looted into Pithing Needle; the game ended soon after.

Out:
    1x Dig through time
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Thought scour

In:
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Plains
    1x Sulfur Elemental
    2x Wear // Tear

Goblin Prison: 0-2

He was able to get down a Blood Moon and a Chalice on 2; no outs. In game two he had a Chalice on 1, Chalice on 2, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Red Cap, and Rabble Master. I had hard cast a couple Fatestickers and was only taking two a turn from the Redcap. I had fetched for my island and managed to naturally draw my planes. I managed to put an ascendency in play and attempted to go off the following turn after he played a Mogg Fanatic. I casted a brain storm into the chalice, looted into a Wear // Tear for his chalice and Blood Moon, and Hydro blasted his Magus of the Moon, but then fizzled. I ended up attacking for 8 but I should have animated my conclave and got in for 10 to make his ancient tombs unusable. I topdecked a Fatesticher and he had too many blockers so I could only put him to two with my Fairie Conclave. This match up seemed terrible but I think I could have taken game 2 if not for some mistakes. No reason to take out the blood moon effects when you have your basics and hard casted fatestichers.

Out:
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Dig through time
    2x Gitaxian Probe
    2x Thought scour

In:

2x Hydroblast
    2x Kor Firewalker
    1x Plains
    2x Wear // Tear

I think I probably should have cut the mountain, since his deck runs no wastelands.

Food Chain: 2-0

Both games were won through Young Pyromancer, removal, and counter spells. We both kept each other's combo off the table, but I was beating down with a growing army of 1/1s.

Out:
    2x Gitaxian Probe

In:
    2x Wear // Tear

Infect: 2-0

In game 1 he made the mistake of crop rotating away his trop instead of a pendlehaven so his Invigorates and Daze were uncastable while Young Pyromancer took over the game. Game 2 I played an early Young Pyromancer and counter or removed every threat he played.

Out:
    2x Gitaxian Probe
    2x Thought scour

In:
    2x Wear // Tear
    2x Pithing Needle

I brought in 4 cards to deal with Nexus. It may be over kill, but it was the best threat he had.

Top 8: Miricles: 2-1

Game 1 was very long and I managed to get him to 3 with 5 cards left in my library before he played an Entreat for 7 that I could not answer. Game 2 I managed to get in a lot of damage with an early young pyromancer, when he answered it I played a second which killed him. In game 3 I started the game with two wear // tear in hand. Once he played a counter balance I bated a FoW with a dig through time and was able to play the wear // tear into an Ascendency. He played another counter balance on his turn, which I wear // teared as well. I then began to combo one creature at a time over a few turns in order to force him to use all his spot removal until I had a fatesticher he could not answer.

Out:
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Gitaxian Probe
    2x Thought scour

In:
    2x Meddling Mage
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Wear // Tear

Overall I am very happy with the deck. The only update I would make at the moment would be to swap the mountain and the plains. The sideboard could probably use some work, but that will come with more reps with the deck. I am not sure if I sideboarded correctly and would love some feed back.

Thanks for reading.

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Originally Posted by iostream View Post
    I really like Levin's list, except I'm not sure about his suggestion at the end of the article to cut 3 Probe, 1 Pyroblast for 4 YP. I like Pyromancer, but it seems like cuts could be made elsewhere since you need a critical mass of cantrips to start going off with Ascendancy. 4 CB looked awkward for him in several matches, so I might shave 1 of those, and honestly 20 lands is a lot - definitely think you could cut 1-2 of those.
    Agreed. The list I'm working with right now and played last night cut down to 3 each CB/top, 19 lands, and 3 Fatestitchers to play 3 Pyromancers and the 2nd MD Pyroblast.

I'm playing this at an iq this weekend. I played it in modern yesterday but will go into the iq only good fishing and a little cockatrice. Any thoughts on side boarding? I'm playing Brad Nelson's list from yesterday's video. No counter top.

I'm thinking of a transformational board into delver/yp since it's the same shell.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

My advice would be to not play Nelson's variant. A lot of the power of this deck comes from its ability to be a control deck, pushing it to be like Storm takes away that avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Packofrats View Post

I'm thinking of a transformational board into delver/yp since it's the same shell.
    That seems like 'danger of cool things' territory. It could certainly make sense as metagame plan if you're adding generically strong elements - say swapping out delvers for stifles - in specific match-ups, but transforming in the hope that your opponent will overcommit to answers really only makes sense if one of the game plans is good enough to force an opponent to commit heavily to an answer - say by mulliganing into specific cards.

Thread Information