Thread: From Pimp to Power

Mar 2014
    Boston

From Pimp to Power

Hello Everyone!

I've recently became very interested in Vintage. I own a decent amount of high end legacy foils and was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of trading foils towards power?

Any regrets?
    How was the value?
    Dealer or Private Trade?
    Playing some variety of delver.

Nov 2011
    Krems an der Donau, Austria

Re: From Pimp to Power

Quote Originally Posted by Benrobnu View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I've recently became very interested in Vintage. I own a decent amount of high end legacy foils and was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of trading foils towards power?

Any regrets?
    How was the value?
    Dealer or Private Trade?
    I sold and traded all my Legacy Foils to get Power.

For many random foils and ugly mud cards i got a beta mox sapphire. other cards i sold.
    I do not miss my random foil collection, and i love my power. it was the right decision!!

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Benrobnu View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Any regrets?
    How was the value?
    Dealer or Private Trade?
    I did this right around the time that foil Jace went to $800+. I had finished Esper Deathblade minus Jaces (pack foil ONS fetches, promo Wastelands and STPs; in a nutshell, done right for English foils). When Jaces spiked I basically asked myself, do I care about having premium versions of a card or playing more Magic. My answer sent me on a 3 month selling/trading spree that allowed me to build any legacy deck but lands and helped me get all power except Lotus.
    Looking back, even seeing foil prices go even crazier doesn't change my mind that I made the right decision.

I used a combination of Magic Online Traders (unfortunately now pretty mugh deceased), local trades and sells, and buy list on a select few items to ABUgames. Just take your time and you'll be able to get enough value out of your cards.

Mar 2014
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    I did this right around the time that foil Jace went to $800+. I had finished Esper Deathblade minus Jaces (pack foil ONS fetches, promo Wastelands and STPs; in a nutshell, done right for English foils). When Jaces spiked I basically asked myself, do I care about having premium versions of a card or playing more Magic. My answer sent me on a 3 month selling/trading spree that allowed me to build any legacy deck but lands and helped me get all power except Lotus.
    Looking back, even seeing foil prices go even crazier doesn't change my mind that I made the right decision.

I used a combination of Magic Online Traders (unfortunately now pretty mugh deceased), local trades and sells, and buy list on a select few items to ABUgames. Just take your time and you'll be able to get enough value out of your cards.
    Thank you for the response. I'm in a very similar scenario where I have the "right" versions of everything in a couple of decks and I'm trying to decide which i prefer. Glad you are happy with the decision
    Playing some variety of delver.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

It's funny that this thread popped up exactly now, because I'm going through the same process. Back in 2011 or 2012 I thought about foiling out my Maverick and my Stoneblade decks, as well as my Modern Jund deck. I got a couple of foils very fast at a good price back then but then had to stop at some point, both to Maverick falling out of favor and monetary reasons. 4-6 weeks ago I had the idea of actually going for Vintage and was looking for ways to accumulate the money in a decent amount of time. Turned out my foils have all increased in value over time, and since I would never finish foiling out the decks anyway because I lost interest in foils I decided to sell them. Actually, I'm still selling a good chunk. It's not enough to buy Power just by selling the foils, but it's still several thousands that will make my goal far more easy. Foils are not high demand though, so selling them is a slow process. I think I should be there towards the end of the year or the beginning of the next one.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    buy list on a select few items to ABUgames. Just take your time and you'll be able to get enough value out of your cards.
    This is what I ended up doing to finish my set of power + a few other staples. Their customer service was great and the turnaround was pretty fast as well. Plus it was nice that they had scans up for high end cards, that way I knew exactly what I was getting and didn't have to ask for scans.

Any regrets?
    I miss having some of the cards (Legacy staples for decks I wasn't playing - 3x Cradle, 4x Recruiters (Judge)), 3x Sneak Attack, but I feel much happier knowing my set of power is complete.

How was the value?
    Most of what I got rid of was EDH related, but I ended up getting more than I originally paid for the cards I sent in. I still have the emails with the values for everything I traded in as well.

Dealer or Private Trade?
    Dealer - ABU Games. Notable cards I picked up with my credit: Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Jet, Time Vault, Timetwister, Beta Demonic Tutor, Mana Crypt, 2x Itl Mana Drain.

Thread Information