Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4686929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1931

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Re: [Deck] U/G Infect

Quote Originally Posted by Adibou1er View Post
    Considering all these greedy decks out there, I’m starting to believe that stifle worths a try.
    More than a x1 Tom Ross style.
    I’m actually testing a 3 stifle list, with a good first impression vs delver decks.
    They are far too much confident with the little interaction we usually have and that makes the stifle incredible.
    Basicaly my new list has

12 beasts
    19 lands

7 bs/ponder
    3 stiffle
    3 daze
    3 Fow
    2 pierce

4 invigorate
    1 berserk
    2 Vov
    1 BI

1 loam
    2 crop rotation
    I used to watch tom ross videos all the time. One tourney he played in had another infect player who ran 3 stifle, 3 wasteland. The guy ended up getting really far. I thought it was a super cool idea. Land destruction in the early turns really gives the advantage to a low-to-the-ground decklike infect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    For sideboarding I'd go something like:

-1 Noble Hiearch
    -1 Berserk
    -3 Force of Will
    -1 Become Immense

+1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +1 Submerge
    +1 Something else

The way to play this matchup is somewhat counter intuitive, as both of these are aggressive decks that seek to apply pressure as quickly as possible. Having said that, both decks are also looking to leverage several pieces of soft permission (Daze, Pierce) in order to disrupt their opponent's game plan, so it's important to navigate around your opponent's counter spells before trying to mount an offensive yourself. To this end your best bet is to play patiently and try your best not to run into Dazes or Stifles.

A couple of miscellaneous tips:

- Don't be afraid to Berserk your opponent's creatures, especially if you think they don't have a follow up threat. Taking the extra 3 damage from a Delver swing feels bad in the moment, but getting opposing threats off of the board means getting rid of a clock which is necessary component for them to win.

- Glistener Elf will rarely go unblocked and because it's naturally a 1/1 it'll rarely come out ahead in combat. As such don't be afraid to run out Elves early to soak up removal and permission, which then clears the way for your Blighted Agents and Inkmoths to get into the red zone.

- Stifle trick #1 is to crack a fetch whenever your opponent has an instant/sorcery on the stack and you have a Flusterstorm in hand. Say your opponent goes Ponder and you crack a fetch in response. This will prompt your opponent to Stifle in response, at which point you can use the Flusterstorm to counter both the Ponder and the Stifle netting you a 2 for 1 for your troubles.

- Stifle trick #2 is to crack a fetch in response to a Wasteland while you have a Daze in hand. If your Tropical Island is targeted by a Wasteland, you can crack a fetch to prompt the Stifle then save your Tropical Island by Dazing the Stifle. It doesn't matter if the Daze is paid for and the fetch is ultimately Stifled, the takeaway here is that you traded one fetch land and a Daze away for a Stifle and a Wasteland, while also keeping a colored mana source safely in hand for following turns.
    Thanks for the insights.
    As a Delver player I know the stifle tricks :)

I only play 1 berserk so I keep it post board.
    I’m curious about cutting a Noble here, where we struggle a lot vs Wasteland.
    Maybe I’ll bring a stifle MD to add versatility.

I’m also considering boarding a 3 cmc Teferi to prevent him to play on the stack and to bounce whatever.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_king_of_angmar View Post
    I used to watch tom ross videos all the time. One tourney he played in had another infect player who ran 3 stifle, 3 wasteland. The guy ended up getting really far. I thought it was a super cool idea. Land destruction in the early turns really gives the advantage to a low-to-the-ground decklike infect.
    I toyed around with this when Infect was splashing red for W6, but ultimately it was just weaker than what the rest of the meta game was doing. My gut says this game plan is too conditional, which only exacerbates the problems our deck has of drawing the wrong cards in the wrong situations.

Having said that said let us know how it goes if you try it out. Every good idea has to start somewhere a little crazy =).

Thanks for the insights.
    As a Delver player I know the stifle tricks :)

I only play 1 berserk so I keep it post board.
    I’m curious about cutting a Noble here, where we struggle a lot vs Wasteland.
    Maybe I’ll bring a stifle MD to add versatility.

I’m also considering boarding a 3 cmc Teferi to prevent him to play on the stack and to bounce whatever.
    I don't agree with cutting the Hierarch, as it's jumping you a full turn ahead in mana against a deck that's trying to leverage soft permission by attacking your mana.

Teferi has been good but not great in my experience, as it's incredibly tough to resolve a 3 mana permanent against RUG Delver. There's no problem with bringing it in, but I don't think it solves any of the core problems we have in this matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    I toyed around with this when Infect was splashing red for W6, but ultimately it was just weaker than what the rest of the meta game was doing. My gut says this game plan is too conditional, which only exacerbates the problems our deck has of drawing the wrong cards in the wrong situations.

Having said that said let us know how it goes if you try it out. Every good idea has to start somewhere a little crazy =).

I don't agree with cutting the Hierarch, as it's jumping you a full turn ahead in mana against a deck that's trying to leverage soft permission by attacking your mana.

Teferi has been good but not great in my experience, as it's incredibly tough to resolve a 3 mana permanent against RUG Delver. There's no problem with bringing it in, but I don't think it solves any of the core problems we have in this matchup.
    You said you would cut a Noble :)

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

You said you would cut a Noble :)
    Oh shoot, you're right and I'm dumb. Yeah leave the Hierarch in and leave the 'Something else' out, that was definitely a typo.

I was this (top deck Show and tell, Top deck Ballista) close to make Day 2 at GP Bologna !

Went perfect 3-0 (2-0 vs Moon stompy, 2-0 vs Show and Tell, 2-0 vs Mirror) then 4-1 (lost to Green Omnitell 1-2, won vs Burn 2-1), 4-2 (lost to Grixis control GP Lille Winner Claudio Bonani 1-2), then 5-3... final win vs Miracles and lost against GreenDrazi.

I’ve played Oko main but it was not strong nor useful enough imho.
    Yesterday I again made 3-1 during my weekly in Paris with Teferi TR main and it’s such a difference !

I won each time he saw the board.

I've play this list for the GP Bologna :

4 Noble hierarch
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Glistener Elf

1 Crop Rotation
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Become Immense
    4 Invigorate
    2 Berserk
    3 Vines of Vastewood
    4 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Ponder

2 Teferi, Time Ravaler

2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wasteland
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Pendelhaven

Side :
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Hydroblast

Ronde 1 : 2-0 vs D&T splash U
    Ronde 2 : 2-1 vs Big Eldrazi
    Ronde 3 : 2-0 vs D&T
    Ronde 4 : 2-1 vs GWb Dephts
    Ronde 5 : 2-0 vs GW Dephts
    Ronde 6 : 1-2 vs Red Eldrazi
    Ronde 7 : 2-1 vs UR Delver
    Ronde 8 : 2-0 vs Elves
    Ronde 9 : 2-0 vs Sneak&Show
    Ronde 10 : 2-1 vs ANT
    Ronde 11 : 2-0 vs LED Dredge
    Ronde 12 : 0 -2 vs Bant Miracles (who wins the GP)
    Ronde 13 : 1-2 vs UR Delver (who semi final the GP)
    ronde 14 : 0-2 vs BG Dephts
    Ronde 15 : ID into 70th

The deck looks pretty strong in this post-W6 format. In the 12th round, a big misplay cost to me the second game (I tried to save a Blighted Agent instead of my Inkmoth Nexus, witch was impossible to deal with for my oppenent, with my Teferi on board). The 13th round against UR Delver was pretty pretty close. That's why I have some regrets (I was 8th after round 11) regarding that's day 2.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed my weekend with my friends, playing a very nice, diversified and interesting format, with my favorite deck.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I've play this list for the GP Bologna :

4 Noble hierarch
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Glistener Elf

1 Crop Rotation
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Become Immense
    4 Invigorate
    2 Berserk
    3 Vines of Vastewood
    4 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Ponder

2 Teferi, Time Ravaler

2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wasteland
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Pendelhaven

Side :
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Hydroblast

Ronde 1 : 2-0 vs D&T splash U
    Ronde 2 : 2-1 vs Big Eldrazi
    Ronde 3 : 2-0 vs D&T
    Ronde 4 : 2-1 vs GWb Dephts
    Ronde 5 : 2-0 vs GW Dephts
    Ronde 6 : 1-2 vs Red Eldrazi
    Ronde 7 : 2-1 vs UR Delver
    Ronde 8 : 2-0 vs Elves
    Ronde 9 : 2-0 vs Sneak&Show
    Ronde 10 : 2-1 vs ANT
    Ronde 11 : 2-0 vs LED Dredge
    Ronde 12 : 0 -2 vs Bant Miracles (who wins the GP)
    Ronde 13 : 1-2 vs UR Delver (who semi final the GP)
    ronde 14 : 0-2 vs BG Dephts
    Ronde 15 : ID into 70th

The deck looks pretty strong in this post-W6 format. In the 12th round, a big misplay cost to me the second game (I tried to save a Blighted Agent instead of my Inkmoth Nexus, witch was impossible to deal with for my oppenent, with my Teferi on board). The 13th round against UR Delver was pretty pretty close. That's why I have some regrets (I was 8th after round 11) regarding that's day 2.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed my weekend with my friends, playing a very nice, diversified and interesting format, with my favorite deck.
    Congrats on the finish. How did you feel about your 75? Specifically I'm curious to know if you would make any changes, or if you think Oko and/or Once Upon a Time have a place in the list.

I've play this 2 Teferi MD version cuz I expected a lot of Miracles in the metagame. I think this choice is realy meta-dependent. I was focused on every game and I didn't think about if I'd prefer Oko or OUaT each time I had Teferi in hand. I realy like Oko in Infect, but I just think Teferi is better, because of Miracles. Playing without splash is also a thing that we've to consider. Sometimes it's realy anoying to have this Savannah instead of a Tropical. But, I appriciate to have StP as a universal removal in the sideboard. I don't realy like OUaT as a one-off. I'd prefer to have a third Ponder instead, I think. Just because most of time, when you are looking for something with Infect, it's for a pump or any backup spell, not for a creature or a land, especially with a 2cc spell. But I'm maybe wrong. I didn't play Magic last three years, so...

If I had to change something, I'd probably switch a Teferi with the Sylvan Library in the sideboard, juste because Library is good in the same MUs, but also good in some MUs where Teferi is not very interesting, like Delver or Dephts decks. But, Teferi is also a blue card, in a deck where it's sometimes difficult to pitch FoW.

I realy like 2 Flusterstorm MD too, in the current metagame.

Sep 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Congrats on the strong finish!

How'd you end up settling on 61-cards main?

Jun 2008
    Denver, CO

Surely, this deck can find room for Once Upon a Time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dameus View Post
    Surely, this deck can find room for Once Upon a Time, right?
    I've been playing a full playset in modern Infect but I don't think we need it in Legacy. Yeah it's nice on the first turn but other than that, its not very great. We also have enough cantrips to find an infect creature if we need to.
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

No need to plash for white for STP anymore?

https://mythicspoiler.com/mh2/cards/suspend.jpg

Removes annoying blockers ala strix
    Protects your own creature, which opponent may forget gets haste once it returns
    pitches to force
    Way easier to cast than STP.
    I really like how it plays into the spirit of infect by buying those extra important turns for the kill. And two turns seems reasonable to be able to conjure up some missing lethal

And some obvious drawbacks, mostly on ETB triggering creatures
    What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Neffy View Post
    No need to plash for white for STP anymore?

https://mythicspoiler.com/mh2/cards/suspend.jpg

Removes annoying blockers ala strix
    Protects your own creature, which opponent may forget gets haste once it returns
    pitches to force
    Way easier to cast than STP.
    I really like how it plays into the spirit of infect by buying those extra important turns for the kill. And two turns seems reasonable to be able to conjure up some missing lethal

And some obvious drawbacks, mostly on ETB triggering creatures
    What do you think?
    I'm not sold, there's already plenty of incentive to be in white between Teferi, Mavinda, and Hierarch producing the splash color. Not to mention there are plenty of relevant ETB triggers out there, which could come back to bite this card in the ass.

May 2015
    PDX

I implore you not to forget the lessons of the past...white has the answers you seek: Parapet!

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I implore you not to forget the lessons of the past...white has the answers you seek: Parapet!
    Plague Engineers in shambles. Literally cannot beat this card.

Tuesday in Paris, France, I won a 24 player weekly tournament with this MonoGreen list.
    The 75 is not perfectly tuned yet and I have another version of it more radical but I'm pretty satisfied of it.
    Of course I lose to Plague Engineer but we all die of something in the end, right ? :)

The main idea is : surprise, then I kill you faster than UG.
    I like the challenge the deck offers by renouncing to countermagic. You play differently. The pressure you put your opponent under is incredible.

Track record :
    2-0 vs humans (Myr + Noble was too much for him even though he named Invigorate + berserk for Meddling mage)
    2-0 vs food chain (G1 1 crop my nexus for a wasteland to keep him from getting his 3rd mana then I GSZ into Allosaurus for a kill 2 turns later)
    2-0 vs BR rea (Kill T2 G1)
    Bant Control conceded it to me since he had alredy lost a round.

My baby :

4 nexus
    5 fetch
    5 forests
    2 wasteland
    1 pendelhaven
    1 yavimaya Hollow (soon Yavimaya Cradle of Growth)

4 invigorate
    4 berserk
    1 Become Immense
    2 scale up
    1 bounty of the hunt
    3 Vines of Vastwood
    3 Apostle's Blessing

2 crop rotation
    3 sylvan library
    2 Greensun's Zenith
    4 Once upon a time

4 noble hierarch
    4 glistener elf
    4 Ichorclaw myr
    1 Allosaurus shepherd

--
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka
    1 Surgical extraction
    1 Endurance (soon 3 more)
    1 Veil of summer
    2 force of vigor
    1 viridian corrupter
    1 pithing needle
    1 collector ouphe (I ve played null rod but should have been Ouphe)
    1 carpet of flowers
    3 run afoul
    1 spellskite (maybe sylvan safekeeper)

Hey fellow infecters !

This subject seems quite dead but the discord channel is not very active either...

Sooooooo...
    Two things : IMHO the perfect list ATM is very close to this one, played by a Japanese comrade.

For fun, but not only, I've been focusing on tuning my 75 Mono Green Infect quite close from my orignal list (above).

I top8ed a tournament (25 players) with it and won another one (without top8).
    I've tried several versions, from extremely agressive ones to more tempo ones.
    It turns out that if you go straight to the point, you have better results.

I would be happy to answer your questions about it :

18 lands :
    4 nexus
    3 wasteland
    3 forest
    5 fetchlands
    2 yavimaya cradle of growth
    1 pendelhaven

16 creatures :
    4 noble hierarch
    4 glistener elf
    4 ichorclaw myr
    3 allosaurus shepherd
    1 viridian corrupter

3 enchants :
    3 sylvan library

21 Instants :
    4 Invigorate
    4 berserk
    4 Vines of Eastwood
    4 Once upon a time
    3 apostle's blessing
    1 Crop rotation
    1 Become Immense

2 Sorceries
    1 Scale Up
    1 Greensun's zenith

Sideboard :

3 Endurance
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Run afoul
    2 Gut Shots
    2 Pithing Needle

The sideboard can also include Karakas, Collector Ouphe, Beast Within...

The ideas I had in mind when I've come to the list above :

- I want to play lots of the best green card ever printed : Sylvan Library. And use it until I can't, meaning playing the deck like a MonoGreen Suicide.
    It means that I had to have, also, enough shuffling effects, such as fetch lands, crop rotation and GSZ
    - I want to kill faster to see the fear in my opponent's eyes, to smell him sweat
    To do so, I needed 2 playsets of the combo but also more pump spells in general
    - I want to surprise.
    Most of the time, my opponent expect to meet daze of FOW, so they play differently and, therefore, badly. I've won tons of game with Apostle's blessing paid with only nexus up (it's like being full tap with UG).
    - I don't want to handle with things.
    The only exception is GSZ/OUAT for Allosaurus to protect the one shot combo or to find Corrupter in case of Plague Engineer maindeck. But those two cards can easily been replaced by 2 more pumps.
    - 2021 has brought us two incredible weapons : Allosaurus Shepherd and Endurance. They both fit perfectly in the deck.

This thread has long been dead but I need to get an opinion on something.

So some new spoilers that dropped from the new Phyrexia All Will Be One set got the juices flowing. There are more cool new toys to mess around with but I think these are the most important out of the set.

The New Toys

Venerated Rotpriest : G , Creature : Phyrexian Druid , 1/2 , Toxic 1 , Whenever a creature you controll becomes the target of a spell , target opponent gets a poison counter.

Skrevl's Hive : 1W , Enchantment , At The beginning of your upkeep, lose 1 life and create a 1/1 colorless Phyrexian Mite artifact creature with toxic 1 and "This Creature can't block." Corrupted: As long as an opponent has three or more poison counters, creatures you control with toxic have lifelink.

Now Bant Infect lists are nothing new but they were a pretty light splash. With these two cards, I want to see if this can do one of these 3 things that the deck didn't really do prior to these printings in the legacy format.

1) Can Venerated Rotpriest replace Glistener Elf with a 3 to 1 split?

Reasoning being while although the infect mechanic is by and large more powerful than toxic, this one drop does something that Infect lists really struggle with and that's punishing creature removal. In the early set up turns, turn 2 wins can happen but they are a statistic irregularity and not likely often to occur. Most of the time the early game is used to get in 1 to 2 points of poison in to put the pressure on. However, in my experience, I often found myself sometimes at the mercy of my opponent at the later stages of the game with a Glistener Elf on board (sometimes in multiples) along side a hand full of pump spells and no way to get through unless I would draw a Berserk to trample through. I very much find the idea of a body that doesn't die to Plague Engineer and has a punishing effect that can lock opponents out of spot removal if they accumulate enough poison counters. And on top of that, I very much like the idea that, it is great in multiples and feels like it is never as dead of a draw of Glistener Elf is in against a control match up and makes my useless pump spells spin out of control in a way that's difficult to interact with. At its very worst, the Rotpriest's inability to deal multiple poison counters in combat can work towards a fair beatdown plan. I also often finding myself cutting a Glistener Elf in sideboard matches where I value my sideboard cards over a possible dead draw in the later stages of the game with either I need more pump or interaction. Rotpriest solves all of the above.

2) Skrevl's Hive's Ability to unlock a go wide plan.

Infect traditionally has always protected 1 threat and has very rarely gone in a "go wide " approach but I think this card singlehandedly fixes that issue. In long and grindy games, an Infect/ Poison Bitterblossom that has the potential to gain life on its swings seems pretty strong. Combined with the Rotpriest, the Toxic 1 on the tokens can add up more than what they could do in combat in a rather deceptive way. Personally, I'd run it as a 1 off but that number might change with some testing.

3) A new combo finish?

With the Rotpriest's ability being very similar to Wild Defiance, its not completely unreasonable to have Spellskite make a return to this list as a 1-2 off to work double duty as a piece of protection as a singleton but also perform as possible backdoor combo finish whilst on the stack as a 2 off bouncing pump spells or removal between each resolution of the ability selecting a different target for the Rotpriest to trigger multiple times. This seems janky but I have seen it work in Modern with Wild Defiance back in the day and is entirely possible.

With that being said this is going to be the list I am going to be testing for the time being. I dunno if I am up to something but I'll be seeing how this does come release day of All Will Be One.

Lands (20)
    4x Tropical Island
    8x fetches
    1x Forest
    1x Savannah
    4x Inkmoth Nexus
    1x Taiga
    1x Wasteland

Creatures (12-13)

4x Blighted Agent
    4x Noble Heirarch
    3x Venerated Rotpriest
    1x Glistener Elf
    1x Mavinda Students’ Avocate or 1x Skrelv’s Hive

Instants / Sorceries/Plainswalker (27)

Card Draw (6)

4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder

CounterSpells (8)

4x Force of Will
    3x Daze
    1x Spell Pierce

Pump Spells (11)

4x Invigorate
    2x Berserk
    2x Vines of Vastwood
    1x Snakeskin Veil
    1x Temur Battle Rage
    1x Become Immense

Toolbox/Flex Slots (1)

1x Crop Rotation

Plainswalker (1)

1x Teferi, Time Raveler

Sideboard (15)

1-2 Spellskite
    2 Boseiju, Who Endures
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1-2 Force of Vigor
    2 Endurance
    1 Karakas
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Veil of Summer

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Rotpriest seems pretty busted to me, so I would start the testing with four copies. Infect is very good at getting to 8 poison but can struggle to get the last hit in. This card makes it so interaction needs to be via blockers or sweepers or some kind of on-board effect, like Jitte counters or Goblin Bombardment or Walking Ballista. It also gets around cards that used to be problematic, like Glacial Chasm or Ensnaring Bridge, so the Crop Rotation package probably isn't necessary anymore. I used that package most often for Pendelhaven, so if 1/1s are trimmed for 1/2s, then Pendelhaven probably isn't worth running. The deck is going to be hungry for slots, and I think it's better to keep the plan of Turn 1 Glistener Elf, Turn 2 pump spell. With Rotpriest, it should be pretty trivial to get over the finish line after that. Most of the removal in Legacy is spot removal, and Rotpriest will effectively turn that off and shorten the game.

Thread Information