Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 458591929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1931

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Re: [Deck] U/G Infect

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Has anybody worked Veil of Summer into their deck yet and what have you cut?
    I'm currently testing 1x in the sideboard, think I trimmed a copy of Teferi for it. So far it's been alright, though it seems as though the meta is gradually shifting away from Grixis Control style decks and I think that's where the card would've helped most.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

How's the white splash been for everyone here? Recently cut the Swords, RiP's and Teferi altogether for a more streamlined U/G list.

Main deck:
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Blighted Agent

4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Wasteland

4 Invigorate
    2 Vines of Vastwood
    2 Berserk
    1 Become Immense

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    1 Preordain

3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm

1 Stifle
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Dissenter's Deliverance
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Shapers' Sanctuary
    1 Force of Vigor
    2 Submerge
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Snare
    1 Force of Will

Sideboard's a bit wonky, I've upped the numbers on cards I'm actively looking to test (Veil of Summer, Shapers' Sanctuary, Submerge) and trimmed on some of the cards that I'll eventually want to put back into the list (Krosan Grip, Hydroblast #2). Overall it felt great, I didn't get a chance to play against any W6 decks last night but I'm hoping to sometime this weekend. One of the problems I ran into with the white splash was that decks like RUG Delver were too good at cutting us off of white by pinging out Hierarchs and Wastelanding our white sources, which made it difficult to play our white cards that were specifically there to combat W6. Instead of stretching the mana base even thinner to accommodate a third color, I decided to go back to a more traditional build with a stabler mana base to try and combat these decks on the stack rather than with hate permanents that weren't always so easy to cast, much less resolve.

At the end of the day the loss of white is regrettable, but trying to resolve multiple two to three mana cards into a Delver deck just wasn't working. As other decks lean further and further into ways to beat the fair portion of the meta game, it might benefit us to shift our deck construction more towards an unfair approach in order to dodge some of the tools they're beginning to pack.

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by Jesture; 07-26-2019 at 10:41 AM.

I’ve been having a tough time with death and taxes. Especially Thalia. Anybody else having trouble?

Mar 2010
    Philippines

3-0-ID Last night (ranked 1st), Kick Engines Legacy Majors VII. We all decided to split prizes as it was running late and rain kept pouring on. Several Wn6 in the field with 4ccontrol (2nd), rugdelver (3rd), rglands (5th). Decided to put a 2nd Sylvan Library main replacing my 3rd ponder. I felt like if I draw and resolves it early, while im still high on life vs these Wn6 decks... I can abuse it and execute the W fast. We just can’t go midgame vs them.

My SB was focused particularly battling Wn6 and red removals as Ive seen 2 goblin players and 2 URBurn pilots too. This was however a lucky finish and I’ve felt the deck is facing heavy RED artillery moving forward. I think I will have to make room for 1-2 Absolute Laws soon.

My games:
    1-0 (2-0) Burn
    2-0 (2-0) BReanimator
    3-0 (2-0) RGLands
    ID - 4cControl

Helpers:
    2 swords to plowshares
    1 surgical extraction
    1 grafdigger’s cage
    1 relic of progenitus
    2 pithing needles
    2 flusterstorms
    2 hydroblasts
    1 force of vigor
    2 return to nature
    1 veil of summer

Im very happy with the efficiency Return2Nature has given me, expanded my gy removals to 5 yet has game vs annoying lock pieces.

Main:
    4 brainstorm
    2 ponder
    4 force of will
    2 spell pierce
    3 daze
    2 sylvan library
    2 crop rotation
    4 invigorate
    2 berserk
    1 blossoming defense
    2 vines of vastwood
    2 become immense
    (30)

3 noble hierarch
    4 glistener elf
    4 blighted agent
    (11)

3 tropical island
    1 savannah
    1 forest
    1 pendelhaven
    1 wasteland
    4 inkmoth nexus
    3 wooded foothills
    3 windswepth heath
    2 misty rainforest
    (19)
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Mar 2010
    Philippines

I’ve been having a tough time with death and taxes. Especially Thalia. Anybody else having trouble?
    I think DnT is a positive matchup for us, With just 4 removals (stps) main, I felt like they're slow vs our early pressure that can always go berserk once unchecked. We only need to establish our Noble Hierachs for taxes, It also serves as our pump spells on the offensive. You only need to play tight vs a skilled DnT pilot as theyve got lots of tricks too. I once killed an uncountered Thalia with berserk, or crop rotating Pendelhaven with a blocking glistener. You can always Vine theyre creatures when they try to equip it with annoying jitte/sofi.. Batterskull isnt a problem. Just choose what you properly need to counter.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

To add to what's been said, here's a few things to keep in mind:

• Thalia can be problematic, but this card shouldn't single handedly be giving you trouble in the matchup. If it's a combination of Thalia, Port, and Wasteland that's problematic then just try to place an emphasis on hitting your land drops while cantripping in the early game.
    • Blighted Agent's at a premium in this matchup, as the Glistener Elf can have trouble swinging through the 25 creature deck and Inkmoth Nexus can be difficult to activate through Rishadan Port and Wasteland.
    • Counterspells aren't very strong against a deck playing Cavern and Vials. It's okay to leave in a Force or Daze if you have nothing else to board out, but try to take out as many as you can for things like creature and artifact hate.
    • This matchup revolves around Umezawa's Jitte, so try to always have a plan in mind for how to deal with that card. Luckily for us it's a bit slow for the opponent to go Stoneforge => Activate to put Jitte into play => Equip Jitte, but if you can't close the game out before they get charge counters things start to go south pretty quick.
    • Try talking to your local DnT players about the matchup and, if they're willing to, spend some time just jamming games to get a better feel for how the games typically play out. There's no real substitute for experience, and one of the best ways to learn a matchup is by just playing against it as many times as you can.

Sep 2011

Has anyone tested Scale Up? On a 1/1 Infect guy it's +5/+3 for 1 card and 1 mana, which makes it a 1 hit kill paired with Invigorate or Berserk or kicked Vines. Especially good with evasion (Blighted Agent, Inkmoth).

Veil of Summer might help mitigate the risk of it getting blown out by removal or counters and enable a more explosive combo strategy. Unkicked Vines can also save your guy (e.g. from Bolt in response), but kicking it is futile.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Has anyone tested Scale Up? On a 1/1 Infect guy it's +5/+3 for 1 card and 1 mana, which makes it a 1 hit kill paired with Invigorate or Berserk or kicked Vines. Especially good with evasion (Blighted Agent, Inkmoth).

Veil of Summer might help mitigate the risk of it getting blown out by removal or counters and enable a more explosive combo strategy. Unkicked Vines can also save your guy (e.g. from Bolt in response), but kicking it is futile.
    Re: Scale Up, I've seen a couple of people testing the card on mtgtop8 but my gut tells me that sorcery speed is too much of a drawback to make this work in Legacy. If we were in the market for one mana pump spells, we'd probably have started testing with Groundswell and gone from there.

Re: Veil of Summer, card is great against any deck that plays discard spells and any blue deck that wins more slowly than we do. I've tested the card extensively against non-black Delver and it always feels like a dead card whenever drawn. Blanking Abrupt Decay and Thoughtseize is enough to warrant a copy or two in the sideboard though.

Sep 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

I did some testing with Scale Up and wasn't super impressed. I don't think you ever want it as more than a one-of and there's the dream situation where it facilitates a turn 2 that wouldn't be there with double invigorate or because we can't fill the yard fast enough for Become Immense, but the instant speed of BI still makes it better, imo.

Has anyone seen the UGr Infect list that went 5-0 online? Super cool list, but i'm not sure how much I love W6 in this deck. At least with white we are preventing ourselves from decks that we tend not to have a great matchup against. Ex Absolute Law and Moon Stompy. I have tried W6 online in Infect and it was good where W6 is good and bad where we didnt want it. I found a few times I would draw W6 midgame when i'm not looking for that. Sure reoccuring a wasteland is nice and popping opponents creatures, but its no progressing Infect's boardstate. I think W6 is a great card, just not sure if it is for us. It feels at though it is being jammed into every deck now. I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions on this red splash. I'll leave the link to the deck that went 5-0 below. https://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=31669&iddeck=272833 HAPPY INFECTING!!

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman32 View Post
    Has anyone seen the UGr Infect list that went 5-0 online? Super cool list, but i'm not sure how much I love W6 in this deck. At least with white we are preventing ourselves from decks that we tend not to have a great matchup against. Ex Absolute Law and Moon Stompy. I have tried W6 online in Infect and it was good where W6 is good and bad where we didnt want it. I found a few times I would draw W6 midgame when i'm not looking for that. Sure reoccuring a wasteland is nice and popping opponents creatures, but its no progressing Infect's boardstate. I think W6 is a great card, just not sure if it is for us. It feels at though it is being jammed into every deck now. I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions on this red splash. I'll leave the link to the deck that went 5-0 below. https://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=31669&iddeck=272833 HAPPY INFECTING!!
    Point of clarity, this deck was the 14th place finisher with a 6-2 record in swiss rounds of the Legacy format Playoff last weekend. Not to be mistaken with a 5-0 league finisher, which is arguably much less of an accomplishment.

I'm personally not sold on W6 Infect, but it's also sort of hard to ignore the raw power level of this card and the potential for recurring Inkmoth Nexuses. Time will tell whether this is the optimal build of Infect going forward, but my gut says it's a flavor of the month splash that doesn't do much to change Infect's place in the meta game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Point of clarity, this deck was the 14th place finisher with a 6-2 record in swiss rounds of the Legacy format Playoff last weekend. Not to be mistaken with a 5-0 league finisher, which is arguably much less of an accomplishment.

I'm personally not sold on W6 Infect, but it's also sort of hard to ignore the raw power level of this card and the potential for recurring Inkmoth Nexuses. Time will tell whether this is the optimal build of Infect going forward, but my gut says it's a flavor of the month splash that doesn't do much to change Infect's place in the meta game.
    Went to a small (27 players) 5 rounds monthly today in Paris, France, with Infect W6.

Here is my record :
    2-1 vs Omnitell
    1-2 vs BRW Hogaak Dredge (I lost the 2 last with absolute no luck : I had between 10 and 16 outs to win each time...)
    2-1 vs GR Zoo including W6 with a GL due to my new sleeves and my lack of sleep
    2-1 vs RUGb Delver with W6
    1-2 vs RUG Delver with W6

W6 didn't impress me much.
    I won the games I saw it because W6 took a bolt vs RUG and killed an unflipped Delver.
    The red splash gives access to ancient Grudge and Pyroblast but I think that these cards are not better than the one they replace in the sideboard, actually the white ones as far I'm concerned.
    Parisian metagame is mainly Dark Depths, W6 (alongside with delver) and Chalice.
    I think we need to have answers to these cards and Wrenn in Infect does not do much more than the white splash.
    I feel more confortable with RIP and StP + 2 hydroblasts and Return to Nature + Force of Vigor.
    Also Wrenn is, most of the time, a terrible mid or late game topdeck.
    The list mentionned (close to the one I played) has a 2nd Become immense (that I like a lot with 2 crop rotation) and the card is never synergic with W6.

If you want your nexuses to be recursive, Loam can do a similar job.
    x/1 matchups are already favored for us imho and they are quite rare now, because of Wrenn.
    If you fear W6 : you have plenty of good cards that can fit your sideboard.
    Absolute law is great, Chill can be too. Needle is still a very polyvalent hate card.
    You can also forget to bring W6 to it's ultimate : you are not supposed to block with your infect guys.
    If you do so you have already lost.

If you want card advantage, a copy of Sylvan Library is far, far better.
    To conclude, I'd say that 2 cards don't worth getting your manabase weaker than it already is.
    The second wasteland is, in the contrary, extremely strong and having a second Crop Rotation maindeck is great.

Considering all these greedy decks out there, I’m starting to believe that stifle worths a try.
    More than a x1 Tom Ross style.
    I’m actually testing a 3 stifle list, with a good first impression vs delver decks.
    They are far too much confident with the little interaction we usually have and that makes the stifle incredible.
    Basicaly my new list has

12 beasts
    19 lands

7 bs/ponder
    3 stiffle
    3 daze
    3 Fow
    2 pierce

4 invigorate
    1 berserk
    2 Vov
    1 BI

1 loam
    2 crop rotation

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Hey all, wrote up a quick recap of my experience at GP Atlanta which can be found here.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...65#post1076065

It's so goood to come back to Infect without thinking "Will I lose to W6, again ?" !
    Last night in Paris, France, 32 players for our weekly tournament (the biggest weekly in Europe) gathered to celebrate the end of the era and to prepare for GP Bologna.
    I faced :
    - Storm : won 2-1 after losing the first because I never found a boost. The 2nd and 3rd went just fine with my opponent stuck with 2 mana for a long time and without cantrips (I FoNed one).
    - BANT Urza with Oko & Jace (2-1) : I lost the 1st because of the artifact that generates Servo ad nauseam ^^. Won the 2nd and 3rd with perfect hands (elf, counter magic and boosts).
    - Bomberman (2-1): lost the 1st (again) vs Mentor + XX monks. Won the 2nd thanks to my opp's mana full. Won the 3rd setuping BI + Berserk on Agent while blocking its monks with Elf and Corrupter.
    - Rug Delver : Lost the first because I'm stupid : I setuped a 2 attack turn kill but I rushed into its fow on my 2nd Invigorate to pump an Elf to 9. But he managed to kill it during its turn with bolt... We both had no hand but he started over faster than me. The 2nd was no match : bolt, waste, delver...

I played Oko main just to try it. Not sure I will do it again. But I will definitely test a Tefeiri next time in my SB.
    I also plan to give a try to 4 OUAT MD.

Has anyone tried them yet ?

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Adibou1er View Post
    It's so goood to come back to Infect without thinking "Will I lose to W6, again ?" !
    Last night in Paris, France, 32 players for our weekly tournament (the biggest weekly in Europe) gathered to celebrate the end of the era and to prepare for GP Bologna.
    I faced :
    - Storm : won 2-1 after losing the first because I never found a boost. The 2nd and 3rd went just fine with my opponent stuck with 2 mana for a long time and without cantrips (I FoNed one).
    - BANT Urza with Oko & Jace (2-1) : I lost the 1st because of the artifact that generates Servo ad nauseam ^^. Won the 2nd and 3rd with perfect hands (elf, counter magic and boosts).
    - Bomberman (2-1): lost the 1st (again) vs Mentor + XX monks. Won the 2nd thanks to my opp's mana full. Won the 3rd setuping BI + Berserk on Agent while blocking its monks with Elf and Corrupter.
    - Rug Delver : Lost the first because I'm stupid : I setuped a 2 attack turn kill but I rushed into its fow on my 2nd Invigorate to pump an Elf to 9. But he managed to kill it during its turn with bolt... We both had no hand but he started over faster than me. The 2nd was no match : bolt, waste, delver...

I played Oko main just to try it. Not sure I will do it again. But I will definitely test a Tefeiri next time in my SB.
    I also plan to give a try to 4 OUAT MD.

Has anyone tried them yet ?
    Played a 4 round legacy weekly last night and had positive experiences with both Oko and OUaT. Matchups were RUG Delver (Draw), Jeskai Mentor (Win), Naya Loam (Win), and 12 Post (ID). Oko was kill on site most games, but he did a ton of work stabilizing the board in the one game he stuck around against RUG Delver. OUaT doesn't do anything flashy, but it's a great new tool that helps smooth out draws.

For reference I'm on Sam Dams 60 card main deck with 2 Oko and 2 OUaT, which can be found here: https://twitter.com/DutchOpenSeries/...610898433?s=19. Sideboard adjusted to accomodate the local meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Played a 4 round legacy weekly last night and had positive experiences with both Oko and OUaT. Matchups were RUG Delver (Draw), Jeskai Mentor (Win), Naya Loam (Win), and 12 Post (ID). Oko was kill on site most games, but he did a ton of work stabilizing the board in the one game he stuck around against RUG Delver. OUaT doesn't do anything flashy, but it's a great new tool that helps smooth out draws.

For reference I'm on Sam Dams 60 card main deck with 2 Oko and 2 OUaT, which can be found here: https://twitter.com/DutchOpenSeries/...610898433?s=19. Sideboard adjusted to accomodate the local meta.
    The MD is very similar to mine except that I play 2 Crop Rotation and 1 Berserk.
    Also I’m testing a FoN over the Fow #4.

I think that OUAT needs to be played by 4, cutting a fetch and ponders probably.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

The MD is very similar to mine except that I play 2 Crop Rotation and 1 Berserk.
    Also I’m testing a FoN over the Fow #4.

I think that OUAT needs to be played by 4, cutting a fetch and ponders probably.
    Surely Force of Negation is worse than Force of Will in this deck? Alternate cast timing stipulation means you can't use it to defend the combo when trying to go off on your turn.

How guys are you dealing with RUG Delver ?

I lost to it again tonight after beating 5c Snow Cascade and Hogaak/Depths.
    I mean, I’ve been playing Infect for 7 years maybe and I always lose even if my opponent is not that good.

For the record, my sb is :
    2 surgical extraction
    2 Veil of summer
    2 swords to plowshare
    2 force of vigor
    1 flusterstorm
    1 Blue elemental blast
    1 submerge
    1 Karakas
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Pithing needle

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

How guys are you dealing with RUG Delver ?

I lost to it again tonight after beating 5c Snow Cascade and Hogaak/Depths.
    I mean, I’ve been playing Infect for 7 years maybe and I always lose even if my opponent is not that good.

For the record, my sb is :
    2 surgical extraction
    2 Veil of summer
    2 swords to plowshare
    2 force of vigor
    1 flusterstorm
    1 Blue elemental blast
    1 submerge
    1 Karakas
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Pithing needle
    For sideboarding I'd go something like:

-1 Noble Hiearch
    -1 Berserk
    -3 Force of Will
    -1 Become Immense

+1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Rest in Peace
    +1 Submerge
    +1 Something else

The way to play this matchup is somewhat counter intuitive, as both of these are aggressive decks that seek to apply pressure as quickly as possible. Having said that, both decks are also looking to leverage several pieces of soft permission (Daze, Pierce) in order to disrupt their opponent's game plan, so it's important to navigate around your opponent's counter spells before trying to mount an offensive yourself. To this end your best bet is to play patiently and try your best not to run into Dazes or Stifles.

A couple of miscellaneous tips:

- Don't be afraid to Berserk your opponent's creatures, especially if you think they don't have a follow up threat. Taking the extra 3 damage from a Delver swing feels bad in the moment, but getting opposing threats off of the board means getting rid of a clock which is necessary component for them to win.

- Glistener Elf will rarely go unblocked and because it's naturally a 1/1 it'll rarely come out ahead in combat. As such don't be afraid to run out Elves early to soak up removal and permission, which then clears the way for your Blighted Agents and Inkmoths to get into the red zone.

- Stifle trick #1 is to crack a fetch whenever your opponent has an instant/sorcery on the stack and you have a Flusterstorm in hand. Say your opponent goes Ponder and you crack a fetch in response. This will prompt your opponent to Stifle in response, at which point you can use the Flusterstorm to counter both the Ponder and the Stifle netting you a 2 for 1 for your troubles.

- Stifle trick #2 is to crack a fetch in response to a Wasteland while you have a Daze in hand. If your Tropical Island is targeted by a Wasteland, you can crack a fetch to prompt the Stifle then save your Tropical Island by Dazing the Stifle. It doesn't matter if the Daze is paid for and the fetch is ultimately Stifled, the takeaway here is that you traded one fetch land and a Daze away for a Stifle and a Wasteland, while also keeping a colored mana source safely in hand for following turns.

Thread Information