Page 28 of 97 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Nov 2007
    Finland

Re: [Deck] U/G Infect

To all Necropede/Ichorclaw-players out there: Against what decks would you want another creature from sideboard? I have one scenario in mind when Necropede would be golden (Lavamancer in play) but otherwise I can't quite grasp the idea.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    To all Necropede/Ichorclaw-players out there: Against what decks would you want another creature from sideboard? I have one scenario in mind when Necropede would be golden (Lavamancer in play) but otherwise I can't quite grasp the idea.
    Haven't played it personally, but I'd imagine Necropede is good against Elves, DnT, and potentially Young Pyromancer decks. Ichorclaw Myr might just be there as an extra threat that's more difficult to block.

I'm just building Infect at the moment, but I suspect the logic is this:

You side in Necropede when you're facing a deck that packs a tonne of creature removal, and you feel like you need higher creature density. Necropede manages to do something when he gets removed, so he's actually somewhat useful in this situation. I'd be tempted to board him in for something like Jund.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by out51d3r View Post
    I'm just building Infect at the moment, but I suspect the logic is this:

You side in Necropede when you're facing a deck that packs a tonne of creature removal, and you feel like you need higher creature density. Necropede manages to do something when he gets removed, so he's actually somewhat useful in this situation. I'd be tempted to board him in for something like Jund.
    Agree with the logic, disagree with the example. I can't think of any one toughness creatures in Jund, and consequently don't see any way for you to generate card advantage with Necropede in the matchup. There's also the point to consider that you're playing an overcosted Glistener Elf that gives Tarmogoyf +2/+2 and is hit by both artifact and creature removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Agree with the logic, disagree with the example. I can't think of any one toughness creatures in Jund, and consequently don't see any way for you to generate card advantage with Necropede in the matchup. There's also the point to consider that you're playing an overcosted Glistener Elf that gives Tarmogoyf +2/+2 and is hit by both artifact and creature removal.
    Dark Confident is played in Jund, which it would hit - but I really don't think I'd even bring Necropede in for that matchup (in other words, I absolutely agree with your point) :)

I personally don't use it, but I always assumed it was for DnT and Elves matchups. Where you can actually block with the necropede and 2 for 1 them, getting lots of value in the process. I didn't comment originally because it's not a card I really feel I need to play with out of the sideboard, there's already not enough space to fit everything I want in and this feels like a meta-call card in my opinion.

I've been starting to playtest Sylvan Library main (lots of Miracles and BUG here) and it's pretty solid. Anyone else having success with it as a 1 of? It's currently in the "3rd probe" place, which I don't miss at all.

If there was another 1 mana Glistener elf, we'd be playing him instead, for sure. :) I hadn't thought of the artifact angle though, that's a good point.

In cases where you want more Invigorate delivery systems, there's not alot of options. Necropede is probably the best of them. He can kill an X/2 on block, or kill two X/1s, or kill an X/1 when he gets bolted.

It might just be a case of him being the least bad option in these situations.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    Dark Confident is played in Jund, which it would hit - but I really don't think I'd even bring Necropede in for that matchup (in other words, I absolutely agree with your point) :)

I personally don't use it, but I always assumed it was for DnT and Elves matchups. Where you can actually block with the necropede and 2 for 1 them, getting lots of value in the process. I didn't comment originally because it's not a card I really feel I need to play with out of the sideboard, there's already not enough space to fit everything I want in and this feels like a meta-call card in my opinion.

I've been starting to playtest Sylvan Library main (lots of Miracles and BUG here) and it's pretty solid. Anyone else having success with it as a 1 of? It's currently in the "3rd probe" place, which I don't miss at all.
    Funny story about that, some guy recently tried to trade me a fake Dark Confidant that was a 2/2. I'm only a little embarrassed at how long I spent trying to determine its authenticity (about 5 minutes).

I'm really looking forward to playing a maindeck Sylvan Library, though my LGS has always been too partial to delver decks and burn to justify that inclusion. That said, most of what I've heard has been in line with your thoughts, that the one of Library is the real deal, and that it's here to stay so long as Shardless and Miracles are on the radar.

One thing thats been on my mind is the GSZ package with Arbor and Viridian. Has anybody else had any notable success with this? With what match-ups? I've played about 3-4 weeklies with it, and it's felt lackluster every time. For reference, I'm not playing the white splash with GSZ.

Edited for auto correct
    Last edited by Jesture; 11-21-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Nov 2007
    Finland

If I want to address increased creature hate my first step is to play full set of Vines - in maindeck. If you find that lacking, then I don't know, maybe extra creature is worthwile. What matchups exactly are we talking about here? Now that BGx is a big thing I value Vines over anything else. Extra Crop rotations are also fine, as Nexus dodges Abrupt Decay. All the extra dudes cost two mana and that is a big turnoff to me. I also think I have a very well balanced sideboard which doesn't leave me wanting more creatures. Or space for them, for that matter. I would also guess that the Library many of you are playing would help in the threat vs. answer -game this deck loves to play.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

4-2 (11 of 28), missed top8 due to lower tiebreaks, matches were all good, just was unfortunate in some situations, especially my game vs eventual champ darkmavs (depths) with a mull 3! that could have given me a top8 slot. having a bad fever too that very day was awful. here’s my matches...

2-0 ugcloudpost
    he was too slow g1, but i havent had any infectors yet though with major pumps on hand, he tapped out for primeval, i countered and eot crop rot for inkmoth ftw! game 2 elephant grass made it slow for me, he mistakenly needled wasteland then i dropped inkmoths.. on my upkeep, he casts moment’s peace, i pierced ftw.

1-2 elves
    (1st loss vs this archetype in like 8 times from my record) game 1 i gambled on an opening inkmoth, inkmoth, berserk, invi, pierce, fow, slyvan.... got punished for not having drawn any of other lands that could give me a forest : (, game 2 i land a glistener with 2 invis on hand... he landed a drs.. i crop rot on my turn to show a pendel, attacked and he didnt bother to block coz he sees a pendel.. that’s it! game 3 wherein i probed and he got 2 NOs, he went for it and i fowed it, but had nothing for the second one.. i was topdecking a pump with a berserk on hand for my inkmoth... none showed.

0-2 darkmav (eventual champ)
    i got an early sylvan, but all i was seeing were lands! even on multiple life sac just to filter the top of the lib, 2nd game he accidentally dropped a wasteland from his hand that affected my opening hand decision.. single trop, berserk, invi, glistener, pierce, pierce, blighted ... had me mulled to 3! it was just horrible!

2-0 naya zoo
    this was just a waiting game, upon landing numerous fast beats i let him tapped out and crop rot for inkmoth ftw... game 2 i waited to have 3 lands, i probed him with 2 bolts... he bolted my fresh blighted, i vined.... he tried again and i fowed... i was wishing he didnt have any reb effect/stp on an untapped plateau when i went for invi/bimmense on my attack. W!

2-1 reanimator
    lost g1 quickly on a double daze from my opponent, grisel whacked me. i was fast enuff game 2 and countered numerous entombs to slow him down. game 3 was grindy, he had bombs but no permissions. 2 shows we countered while i had everything except infectors! a lone hierarch was able to do crucial damage when he was able to reanimate grisel but was down to 1 after this.. he wasnt able to fow any of my pumps to my blighted. any of my gyhate didnt showed!

2-1 esper aggro (with delvers, snaps, tnn no sfms)
    lost g1 with multiple thoughtseizes getting my infectors, games 2 and 3 both of my needles showed and helped me neutralizing his wastelands. timely pierces were crucial for his snapcasters trying to double up on stps.

it was good still, just short. 6 of my teammates got a seat on the top8 and we had a great dinner before going home. something to ease my overly aching head and back due to flu : ) hope i didnt share any of my viruses with the people around the tourney.. it was good, but not that potent at 4-2 Lol!

played the 2 crop/ 2 bimmense/1ponder/2 probe/1 sylvan config...

sbs: 2stps/1graf/1surgical/1relic/1seal primordium/2kgrips/1fow/1fluster/1pierce/2needles/1ripple/1necropede

adjustments:
    would love to include a 2nd graf and cut a surgical.. envelop for 3rd pierce.. 4th vines for necropede for bgx meta and lesser dnts.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Quote Originally Posted by out51d3r View Post
    If there was another 1 mana Glistener elf, we'd be playing him instead, for sure. :) .
    Well there IS virulent sliver.. Its not nearly as good as GE, but still gives poison counters ^^

As for the maindeck sylvan i've been running it for a while and quite like it. It frees space in the board and is - as always - a must answer maindeck. It might take a decay which otherwise would have taken a blighted agent which is nice i guess. Also drawing three a turn is alright...
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

Dec 2013
    France

Hi guys,

I would like to buy my noble hierach foil but which one do you recommand me the orginal (conflux foil) or the old border (judge reward) ?

vs
    Legacy:
    Elves
    Reanimator
    Sneak Show
    Infect

Sep 2015
    Shrewsbury, UK

I suppose it depends on how big pimpin you want to be....

Level one pimp (gold tooth pimp) - modern masters 2 foil
    Level two pimp (fur coat and big brimmed hat pimp) - conflux foil
    Level three pimp (pimp walking cane pimp) - judge foil
    Level four pimp (no one quite like me pimp) - judge foil with an eraser whitened border to match all the other white border cards

Quote Originally Posted by chewemy View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like to buy my noble hierach foil but which one do you recommand me the orginal (conflux foil) or the old border (judge reward) ?

vs
    If money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Judge foil ones personally. Don't think you can go wrong either way though, very much personal preference.

I'm in the process of replacing all my fetches with Expeditions. One of the coolest parts about legacy is pimping out your deck

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

Hi guys,

I would always go for the old border.

BTW: Tom Ross is on camera right now. He's running 3 white Leylines in his SB. Interesting.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I finished 12th out of 109 players yesterday in the Finnish Legacy champs. Lost my win and in in the final swiss round.

I've been playing this list for some time now. It feels really good, sideboard included. I think I have misjudged the Burn matchup before. It is not as easy as I have thought.

Round 1: ANT 2-0. I start game one and while opponent mulls to 5 I have the turn two kill with elf, Pendelhaven and 2 x Invigorate. Game 2 is slower as I play control and opponent is short of black mana. When he finally finds the mana while facing lethal I have a counter for the ritual.

Round 2: Burn 0-2. I poison him for 3 until I die. Game two I mulligan and don't find a creature except a Hiearch. When I die he has 10 life and zero poison.

Round 3: Canadian thresh 2-1. Game 1 I win at 9 life while he didn't get a threat online until too late so I have time to ping for 1-2 poison a turn. Game two is uneventful for me. I die to Delver and Goyf beating me up. Game 3 was a thriller which I end up taking with a last resort Agent + pump. He kept all cards with Ponder the turn before so I'm very skeptical of my last points connecting but his last card was a do-nothing Stifle.

Round 4: Burn 2-1. Somehow I win this. Can't remember much except him taking the first game and myself the other two. Last game is won by Nexus + Invigorate + Berserk with Flusterstorm backup.

Round 5: Elves 2-1. I start game 1 and win on turn three. Game two goes to him after I counter a Glimpse and Natural Order. The turn after he hardcasts Hoof for plenty of damage while facing lethal. In game 3 I keep elf, 2 x agent, nexus, Become Immense and two lands. He has a slower hand and only plays a few elves and symbiotes. The creatures beat him up and Become Immense puts him to 11 poison.

Round 6: Omnitell 2-1. He takes first game with Ants while I play stupidly. Game 2 end on my turn 3 while he has mana issues even after serious cantripping. Last game he mulls to 5 cards and my turn 1 elf slowly takes the game after he has to burn his hand cards to counter my combo attempts.

Round 7: Burn 0-2. I grow to hate the matchup. He wins me in 2 games. In game 1 I get him to 7 poison but then Eidolon makes pump spells impotent and he wins the race. Game 2 consists of Hierarch beats and myself dying to all his spells.

So 3 burn decks in 7 round is a bitch but such is Magic. I beat everything else so I definitely keep this deck in mind when thinking of GP Prague next summer.

//Lands
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wasteland
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Forest

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Invigorate
    4 Vines of Vastwood
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Berserk
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Become Immense
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Stifle

//Creatures
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Noble Hierarch

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Savannah
    SB: 1 Absolute Law
    SB: 1 Hydroblast

Nov 2007
    Finland

Hi guys,

If you have to ask, you don't have personal desire for a particular pimpness. Therefore the question is: why bother in the first place?
    If you only want foil, the only answer is: the cheapest one.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

I finished 12th out of 109 players yesterday in the Finnish Legacy champs. Lost my win and in in the final swiss round.

I've been playing this list for some time now. It feels really good, sideboard included. I think I have misjudged the Burn matchup before. It is not as easy as I have thought.

Round 1: ANT 2-0. I start game one and while opponent mulls to 5 I have the turn two kill with elf, Pendelhaven and 2 x Invigorate. Game 2 is slower as I play control and opponent is short of black mana. When he finally finds the mana while facing lethal I have a counter for the ritual.

Round 2: Burn 0-2. I poison him for 3 until I die. Game two I mulligan and don't find a creature except a Hiearch. When I die he has 10 life and zero poison.

Round 3: Canadian thresh 2-1. Game 1 I win at 9 life while he didn't get a threat online until too late so I have time to ping for 1-2 poison a turn. Game two is uneventful for me. I die to Delver and Goyf beating me up. Game 3 was a thriller which I end up taking with a last resort Agent + pump. He kept all cards with Ponder the turn before so I'm very skeptical of my last points connecting but his last card was a do-nothing Stifle.

Round 4: Burn 2-1. Somehow I win this. Can't remember much except him taking the first game and myself the other two. Last game is won by Nexus + Invigorate + Berserk with Flusterstorm backup.

Round 5: Elves 2-1. I start game 1 and win on turn three. Game two goes to him after I counter a Glimpse and Natural Order. The turn after he hardcasts Hoof for plenty of damage while facing lethal. In game 3 I keep elf, 2 x agent, nexus, Become Immense and two lands. He has a slower hand and only plays a few elves and symbiotes. The creatures beat him up and Become Immense puts him to 11 poison.

Round 6: Omnitell 2-1. He takes first game with Ants while I play stupidly. Game 2 end on my turn 3 while he has mana issues even after serious cantripping. Last game he mulls to 5 cards and my turn 1 elf slowly takes the game after he has to burn his hand cards to counter my combo attempts.

Round 7: Burn 0-2. I grow to hate the matchup. He wins me in 2 games. In game 1 I get him to 7 poison but then Eidolon makes pump spells impotent and he wins the race. Game 2 consists of Hierarch beats and myself dying to all his spells.

So 3 burn decks in 7 round is a bitch but such is Magic. I beat everything else so I definitely keep this deck in mind when thinking of GP Prague next summer.

//Lands
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wasteland
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Forest

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Invigorate
    4 Vines of Vastwood
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Berserk
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Become Immense
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Stifle

//Creatures
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Noble Hierarch

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Savannah
    SB: 1 Absolute Law
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    How's that sideboard working out for you? I'm noticing no 4th Force of Will and a 2/2 split of Needles/Rod, both seem like unconventional choices.

If you're expecting more burn in the tournaments to come, I'd find room for a Nature's Claim and maybe an extra Crop Rotation in the board. Claim is cheaper than grip (split second isn't often relevant here) and potentially self heals in a tight spot. Crop Rotation is a little worse because it requires a bit of a build-around in a Crop Rotation package, which you're probably not playing if you're playing white splash. That said, Inkmoth is particularly difficult for Burn to interact with, you can typically get a read on their hand if you see them holding up a lot of mana for instant speed burn spells. There's also the "card advantage play" of rotate a trop island away for Wasteland to shoot your other non-basic, followed by cracking all of your fetches and failing to find to play around Price of Progress.

Nov 2007
    Finland

How's that sideboard working out for you? I'm noticing no 4th Force of Will and a 2/2 split of Needles/Rod, both seem like unconventional choices.

If you're expecting more burn in the tournaments to come, I'd find room for a Nature's Claim and maybe an extra Crop Rotation in the board. Claim is cheaper than grip (split second isn't often relevant here) and potentially self heals in a tight spot. Crop Rotation is a little worse because it requires a bit of a build-around in a Crop Rotation package, which you're probably not playing if you're playing white splash. That said, Inkmoth is particularly difficult for Burn to interact with, you can typically get a read on their hand if you see them holding up a lot of mana for instant speed burn spells. There's also the "card advantage play" of rotate a trop island away for Wasteland to shoot your other non-basic, followed by cracking all of your fetches and failing to find to play around Price of Progress.
    First I have to say that sideboard is not something I classify as conventional or unconventional. It should reflect your expected metagame. Sure, you can assemble a SB for a wide open meta like a GP but this was not the case here. If I decide to play Infect in GP Prague, I will build a different sideboard, naturally. Nobody knows how that will look like yet as there are two expansions and six months of metagame evolution before the event.

The only matchup where I REALLY feel I want to have the 4th Force is Imperial Painter and their T1 moons. Where do you usually side it in? I like my combo matchups with 9 maindeck counters, the Stifle and the SB Flusterstorms/Rips/Blast/Null Rods.

Rod is solid storm hate among other things and the odds of winning the match improve significantly if you can attack them from two fronts like this. Needle is more to fight the Loam+Wasteland abuse and disrupt BUG and Sneak attack decks. I'm 100% sure that someone else finds some other split more convenient and usable. This has worked in my area very well.

To me, burn has been something like 50-50 matchup. Its difficult to outplay them if they have it all, but this of course works both ways. In this tournament I unfortunately kept very bad hands and putting some thought on the starting hand can do a lot. My misevaluation is based on winning the less experienced players and getting punished by the better ones. Fetching nothing/Wasting own lands are standard technical plays when facing PoP that I think everybody is aware of. Exquisit Firecraft is slightly problematic as it breaks the "counter the last burn spell" mechanics. You have to pay more attention to what to counter and what to ignore. Nexus is handy as it dodges Chain Lightning and let's you deploy a threat without tapping out but it demands more land in play than what would be convenient.

Nature's Claim has been in my mind but never made it to the SB. The thing is that I don't usually expect to face this much burn. Three times a day is more of an anomaly than anything else.
    Otherwise I would play Chill. Absolute Law is in my SB against URX decks.

Null Rod is a VERY interesting choice, I am going to try and squeeze one into my board as well. Wasn't thinking about it being a good SB option against Storm and it can do extra duty against decks like DnT and obviously MUD, if that's played at all in your area.

I'm running the 2x needles as well, really like it in this deck. Cheap, cuts off cards like Wasteland, sneak attack or Jace and rarely ever feels like a dead draw to me.

Is anyone else still running Submerge here ? (mostly for the Lands and BUG matchups?)

Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    Null Rod is a VERY interesting choice, I am going to try and squeeze one into my board as well. Wasn't thinking about it being a good SB option against Storm and it can do extra duty against decks like DnT and obviously MUD, if that's played at all in your area.

I'm running the 2x needles as well, really like it in this deck. Cheap, cuts off cards like Wasteland, sneak attack or Jace and rarely ever feels like a dead draw to me.

Is anyone else still running Submerge here ? (mostly for the Lands and BUG matchups?)
    Just be aware that Null Rod stops your Inkmoths from producing mana after you turn them into creatures. Rarely comes up, but it easily could.

I run Submerge. It's decent at buying you time against the Green Delver decks, Shardless, Jund, and Elves. The fact that it is free is really nice when compared to any other options. Versions of infect running the white splash rarely bother because StP is usually better. There is some argument to running Dismember instead/also because of answering the creature permanently, but its all very deck and metagame dependent which is best.

Thread Information