Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Re: [Deck] U/G Infect

Looks like Tom Ross wrote an article on scg about his new infect list going into philly, which I assume has a few modifications in expectancy of the new eldrazi threat. Any one read it yet?

Sep 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Delarock View Post
    Playing this list this weekend at Philly.

1 Become Immense
    2 Berserk
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Daze
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Force of Will
    1 Forest
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Glistener Elf
    1 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Invigorate
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Piracy Charm
    1 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Tropical Island
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Vines of Vastwood
    1 Wasteland
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills

The Piracy Charm hasn't really done much for me, considering swapping it out for a Ponder. Also, I'm considering swapping out the Sylvan Library for a Viridian Corrupter. Any suggestions?

Sideboard:

1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Karakas
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Necropede
    1 Spellskite
    2 Submerge
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Viridian Corrupter
    1 Wasteland

I feel like I might need more GY hate but don't have access to a Savannah. Was considering it for the STP/RiP package, but I think the Crop Rotation package is slightly more versatile. Also considering squeezing in a Pithing Needle.

Any suggestions? I was testing a list that was +1 Ponder, +1 Gitaxian Probe; -1 Piracy Charm, -1 Sylvan Library. I liked it, but I'm not sure if taking out a Sylvan Library is right. I've always felt slightly short on blue for FoW.
    If you're not splashing a Savannah, I like Grafdigger's for gy hate. I really like Sylvan main. It's great against the fair decks and also great against Miracles. I'm a big fan of Pithing Needle as well and play two in the board. It shuts off so many problem cards.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Congrats another time to "The Boss" for his 3rd place!

Looking at his list, I was wondering if you could replace the fourth gitaxian probe instead of ponder, his power level we know it already, so why not play 4 as any storm deck? Basically we need to know if there are any removals or counters in the oppponent's hand when we need to use pump spells

Also I wanted to ask your impression about dismbember? Is the best removal for Eldrazi deck?

Quote Originally Posted by spector14 View Post
    Congrats another time to "The Boss" for his 3rd place!

Looking at his list, I was wondering if you could replace the fourth gitaxian probe instead of ponder, his power level we know it already, so why not play 4 as any storm deck? Basically we need to know if there are any removals or counters in the oppponent's hand when we need to use pump spells

Also I wanted to ask your impression about dismbember? Is the best removal for Eldrazi deck?
    I think he only ran 3 probes,which was up from his usual 2. I think stifle would be good in that spot, wastelands are rampant right now and it can counter thought knot seers EBT. I like dryad arbor, but sometimes I wish I had a vines there. I like necropede to chump and kill one or two eldrazi mimics EOT, and it gets around chalice. Dismember gets around chalice too, and killing a 5/5 is maximum value so it seems like a good choice.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

I guess Ross went for dismember as he was expecting alot of eldrazis, but vs grixis on his semifinals match, the life loss mattered wherein he hit drs, and wasnt able to draw additionals via sylvan that couldve gotten him a 3rd game... he can draw pendel and another copy of invi. Probes, fetches will take a toll midgame vs fast decks.. i would still choose stp over a dismember for this spot.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

I played in a legacy state championship here in Brazil this sunday with UG Infect, got 2nd out of 46 players, losing the finals to an... eldrazi!

The matchup seems favorable to infect, but eldrazi's got some ways to interact, with tons of blockers, revoker on hierarch (stoping the mana generation, only thing they can name on MB), chalice of the void, the 2cmc eldrazi removal spell, wasteland and a fast clock. Sometimes the game can go very out of reach for infect.

But about dismember, I really didn't like it against most decks I played against. The 4 life loss sometimes makes the clock be the same, even killing some enemy threat. I'd play it only against decks that creatures that interact more than just attacking, like Thalia or Grim Lavamancer, baleful strix, etc. I just hated it against goyf/delver decks, and probably I was really just wrong about siding it in against those matchups.

Also, as they are a chalice deck but with a pretty fast clock, I didn't bother to side in krosan grip when I was on the draw, as he would have 4 turns before I untap with the chalice off the table. Gotta say, it's pretty better than MUD as a chalice deck, we will probably have to care more about eldrazi from now on.

Except for that, I really enjoyed the deck. Played against BUG Delver, 4C Loam, 2 shardless BUG, BG Depths (which got a gameloss due to decklist error and lost due to a big missplay, he was obviously shaken by the gameloss, would have probably lost if it wasn't for it), miracles and lost against Goblins and the eldrazi deck.

I think I will try the white splash version from now on. StP and RiP seems both really good in this deck, as other GY hates aren't good against non-combo decks and StP is bonkers.

The list I played was the following:

4 noble hierarch
    4 blighted agent
    4 glistener elf
    4 brainstorm
    3 gitaxian probe
    1 ponder
    1 sylvan library
    1 crop rotation
    3 force of will
    4 daze
    2 spell pierce
    4 invigorate

3 vines of vastwood
    2 berserk
    1 become immense
    1 dryad arbor
    1 pendelhaven
    1 forest
    4 inkmoth nexus
    4 tropical island
    8 fetches

Sideboard:

2 wasteland
    2 pithing needle
    2 krosan grip
    1 nature's claim
    1 suberge
    1 dismember
    1 flusterstorm
    1 spell pierce
    1 Spellskite
    1 Viridian Corrupter
    1 surgical extraction
    1 force of will

PS.: I changed the wasteland for a fetchland on the MB, since I didn't expect a substantial ammount of utility lands and I've had some problems getting trop before due to the manabase. Also, I forgot to get the second copy of nature's claim and to put piracy charm on the deck, and didn't have the null rod I wanted. Also, I forgot what were the 2 last cards. Well, I guess next time I will not go to a prom the night before and sleep 3 hours before the tournament.

I liked this deck a lot, I was thinking about going back to UR Delver (my beloved deck from the past, got amazing results in the 2014 season of the championship), but this deck is too cool to play, and I even haven't got my mind set to exploring the opponent's fear of all the ways and explosiveness this deck has. I really loved it, thank you guys for all the help I've got from this thread, I will be posting here from now on ^^
    Last edited by ThiefSlayer; 03-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.

With all those deathrites running around, rest in peace is looking pretty good right now. I've tried to avoid the white splash but am reconsidering it now. Granted, its not a huge cost to run Savannah but I have had some awkward hands in the past drawing stp and trop or blighted agent and a Savannah. Tom Ross always seems to place higher than the guys who splash white, he's obviously a great player but maybe he has had the same conclusion. What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_king_of_angmar View Post
    With all those deathrites running around, rest in peace is looking pretty good right now. I've tried to avoid the white splash but am reconsidering it now. Granted, its not a huge cost to run Savannah but I have had some awkward hands in the past drawing stp and trop or blighted agent and a Savannah. Tom Ross always seems to place higher than the guys who splash white, he's obviously a great player but maybe he has had the same conclusion. What do y'all think?
    The white splash is also really strong against Lands. Rest in Peace does a lot of work against BUG Decks (and to some degree Grixis Delver) that the straight U/G version can't simulate with just Bujoka Bog. Also, as some people have noted before, Swords to Plowshares is great against a lot of decks.

Congratulations to Zach with such a strong performance!

How do you feel running 4 FoWs maindeck?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Thanks! Welcome to the Source btw. I felt ok with 4 FoWs in the MD this weekend because I expected to need them in the opening hand more often. In general I don't think it's necessary, but I was hedging. Overall it worked out pretty well. I also really liked the second Viridian Corrupter in the SB because of all the artifact decks (both Painter and Chalice Eldrazi). Going forward I'm going to try to squeeze a Crop Rotation back in, but it was the easiest cut for this tournament.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

grats Svyelunite for another great finish!

I never was a fan of the white splash before coz im confident the UG version can hold its own, i had several top8 finishes alongside a 1st place finish with the UGlist. I tried the white splash with a need of a removal (submerge is very conditional for me) and i think the bant version is much better. STPs and RIP will help us vs bug/rug/any drs goyf decks... and a problematic tool too for reanimators, lands any gy decks.

lately ive been loving the 3rd pierce main (cut the 2nd bimmense) as i can always have early game vs chalices, problematic artifacts, disruptions (pox have been on the rise in my meta) and upon inserting it i think i can already drop the 2nd ponder and have sylvan in the main again.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Care to share a list?

Sendt fra min SM-A500FU med Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

So I'm torn on the GSZ. Is it really worth a spot? Ross keeps running it but tapping out for 4 to get corrupter seems difficult to me. I like playing the white version and I would generally never go below 3 vines but does gsz finding extra threats outweigh this?

Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Neffy View Post
    So I'm torn on the GSZ. Is it really worth a spot? Ross keeps running it but tapping out for 4 to get corrupter seems difficult to me. I like playing the white version and I would generally never go below 3 vines but does gsz finding extra threats outweigh this?

Gonna say it's a meta call for the most part. A lot of people have been expecting a lot of Eldrazi, so having a main deck answer to Chalice on one is a lot more useful than it has been in the past. That said, there's much less reason for a main deck GSZ if you don't find yourself playing against a lot of Chalice decks.

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

it's much more versatile than just a corrupter for four, although when you see main deck jittes that is a great plan. Think of it as hierarch and g-elf number 5, or another way to find dryad arbor if that's what you need.

Care to share a list?
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=99307

As for those who question the white splash, it was 100% a metagame call this weekend. I saw literal TONS of players on Lands and Eldrazi before the event started. I played white to get access to RIP and StP which are both great SB cards for a metagame heavy in those decks. I would not have done as well as I did without them. That said, I think when the metagame is more "normal" the white splash isn't necessary and straight U/G is faster and less clunky. Tom Ross told me (after our match) that he didn't face Eldrazi (other than Gerry T, who he conceded to for PC reasons) or Lands up to that point... Some guys have all the luck.

I don't get a lot of chances to go to tournaments because I'm a working musician and am constantly traveling for gigs on the weekends. However, there is a legacy classic in Atlanta in June that I'm planning on going to. Does anyone else live in the south or know anyone who might want to team up for some testing? It's a long way away but it'd be nice to know what the local meta is, even though I'm sure there will be pros travelling to come play as well. I live in Alabama.

Mar 2014
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_king_of_angmar View Post
    I don't get a lot of chances to go to tournaments because I'm a working musician and am constantly traveling for gigs on the weekends. However, there is a legacy classic in Atlanta in June that I'm planning on going to. Does anyone else live in the south or know anyone who might want to team up for some testing? It's a long way away but it'd be nice to know what the local meta is, even though I'm sure there will be pros travelling to come play as well. I live in Alabama.
    There is a big legacy(and vintage) tournament this weekend for power and duals in the Atlanta area

https://www.facebook.com/events/913955612054068/

it will be streamed if you want to see the meta

Also our weeklys are typically streamed on Thursday nights to see more of the meta

Twitch name is TuskVision

Quote Originally Posted by GrimDog View Post
    There is a big legacy(and vintage) tournament this weekend for power and duals in the Atlanta area

https://www.facebook.com/events/913955612054068/

it will be streamed if you want to see the meta

Also our weeklys are typically streamed on Thursday nights to see more of the meta

Twitch name is TuskVision
    Cool man, I won't be able to make it but thanks for the heads up! It's good to know there are some events just a couple hours away from me. I'll try to make it out there next time around.

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

I've been pushing hard to abandon the white board plan since before GP SeaTac. I am changing views on that plan. I went 4-4 across two smaller events this weekend. (3-1 Friday night 1-3 sunday). The losses (miracles 2x, burn, grixis delver) all would have benefited from the white splash. The wins (burn, grixis delver, and a couple unmemorable matches) were fairly straight forward.

The grixis player was focusing heavily on removing my infectors and taking a lot of damage from the triple hierarch hand I kept. he got greedy and left himself open so I end of turn fetched a dryad arbor and swung for lethal with permission and pump in hand. I think going for normal damage wins is something I should do more often in paper games. Online I do it more frequently, but for some reason in paper I kill more often with infect damage.

The miracles matchups were close, I lost to a blind draw off a top to find a FoW, and a blind terminus with lethal on board. They played to their outs and found them, can't complain about that.

I've been seeing more and more burn in my local meta, and in the expanded tournament results. With decks like grixis delver, the UR PoP delver lists, BURg delver seeing increased results, I'm wondering if absolute law is a good inclusion out of the board. It provides help against jund decks too. Rest in peace over bojuka bog, and StP so the deck has access to actual removal.

Thread Information