Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Re: [Primer/Deck] U/G Infect

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_six View Post
    Has anyone tried some teferi's response in the side? Seems good with inkmoth and can do great against wasteland/port strategies for keeping inkmoth out of business....

And then it helps refill your hand!
    Did some testing with it after I saw the 12post guy play it at an SCG open. It seemed okay, but more often than not it just ended up as a dead card in hand. It just felt like too much setup for something that didn't happen often enough. If you're expecting a meta full of Lands or Death and Taxes though, it might be worth a slot or two in the sideboard just for kicks and giggles. Outside of that, you're better off playing more well-rounded answers in your leftover slots.

Plus, mana could be tight enough that using Spell Pierce might be better (even without the inability to draw two cards off of it).

Mar 2010
    Philippines

if u worry bout wastes/ports...just include pithing needles in ur sb...crop rots also works well vs land destruction...needles also stop multiples annoying things like jittes/grims/lotv/mazes...
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Had a chance to sling some paper magic with pretty experienced legacy players while on vacation. Was a hell of an experience, and many thanks to everyone who showed up. One matchup I had a lot of trouble with was T.E.S., which isn´t a favorable one by any means, but it got me thinking about sideboard strategies, and how there are some pretty regular patterns that always show up in my postboard. At one point, I switched decks with one of the storm players. In addition to some of the slower spells, he boarded out 4x copies of Noble Hiearch, something that had never even crossed my mind as Hierarch is always heralded as such a key part of the deck. As legacy players, we do a lot of sideboarding to a point that it can just become habit. While its good to have a plan going into any game 2 or 3, this sort of routine also stagnates development as a player, ultimately hurting us more than the matchup familiarity that comes with it. Insert PSA: Remind folks to keep an open mind about sideboard and sideboarding options.

Edit: Accidentally left out PSA. Don't feel like putting one in, I think you guys get the idea.
    Last edited by Jesture; 12-30-2014 at 10:46 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Had a chance to sling some paper magic with pretty experienced legacy players while on vacation. Was a hell of an experience, and many thanks to everyone who showed up. One matchup I had a lot of trouble with was T.E.S., which isn´t a favorable one by any means, but it got me thinking about sideboard strategies, and how there are some pretty regular patterns that always show up in my postboard. At one point, I switched decks with one of the storm players. In addition to some of the slower spells, he boarded out 4x copies of Noble Hiearch, something that had never even crossed my mind as Hierarch is always heralded as such a key part of the deck. As legacy players, we do a lot of sideboarding to a point that it can just become habit. While its good to have a plan going into any game 2 or 3, this sort of routine also stagnates development as a player, ultimately hurting us more than the matchup familiarity that comes with it. Insert PSA: Remind folks to keep an open mind about sideboard and sideboarding options.
    Ok, but you need to finish the story: what was the reason to cut NH, what he brought in, did he won?

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

I have never played TES matchup, but ANT and imho it was pretty easy with similar SB strategy.
    Never side out nobles vs storm, you need free mana while casting/activating creatures.

SB like:
    out: 2x blighted agent, 1x wasteland, 4x vines of wastwood
    in: 2x pierce, 2x surgical, 1x submerge (vs xantic swarm), 1x bojuka bog, 1x force of will

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Ok, but you need to finish the story: what was the reason to cut NH, what he brought in, did he won?
    Think it was something like... cut 4x Hierarchs and 3x Inkmoths for 3x Hydroblast, 2x FoW, 1x Crop Rotation and 1x Piracy Charm. Matchup still went poorly for infect, something like 4-2 for T.E.S., but I feel that's an issue of him having little experience with the deck moreso than his sideboard choices costing him the game. I'm currently testing a postboard plan of -2x Hierarch and -2x Vines, as Hierarch is a slow t1 play and Vines is difficult to cast without the mana support of Hierarch. Will return with results. Someday.

Quote Originally Posted by datanaga View Post
    I have never played TES matchup, but ANT and imho it was pretty easy with similar SB strategy.
    Never side out nobles vs storm, you need free mana while casting/activating creatures.

SB like:
    out: 2x blighted agent, 1x wasteland, 4x vines of wastwood
    in: 2x pierce, 2x surgical, 1x submerge (vs xantic swarm), 1x bojuka bog, 1x force of will
    Would like to take this time to remind everyone playing Legacy that ANT and T.E.S. are very different decks. I'll be the first to say that my experience with ANT is minimal compared to my experience with T.E.S. (my brother plays T.E.S. almost exclusively, we jam a lot of games when we're bored), so I don't have much to comment on in the way of datanaga's strategy. That said, for anyone else reading this form PLEASE do not treat these two decks as a singular entity. ANT is a slower deck that sets up a turn 2-4 Past in Flames or natural Tendrils spell chain with the aid of discard spells and Cabal Rituals (these are important because they help the deck overpower soft counters). Despite the namesake of the deck, the deck does not regularly kill with Ad Nauseum, as its less reliable and more conditional than Past in Flames. T.E.S. is without a doubt the more explosive of the two, preferring to play more recklessly and often opting to combo off during the first or second turn with less knowledge of the opponents hand. T.E.S. also opts for an Empty the Warrens kill more often than ANT, but also has the option of falling back on Ad Nauseum against decks that don't pressure life total (like ours!)

With all of that in mind...

Your sideboard for ANT can afford to play a longer game (long being relative in the scheme of Legacy as 3 or 4 turns), but T.E.S. threatens a turn one kill and also has the option of an Empty the Warrens line if 10 storm isn't a feasible option. Do not side out Blighted Agents, as they're an easy workaround to goblin tokens. Inkmoths (3x) do come out though, as they're just a tad too slow to have an impact on the game. Cutting a copy or two of Vines is okay, as its the slowest of your pump spells and the hexproof function has little to no utility against any variety of Tendrils storm deck. That said, you're still looking to end games as soon as possible against combo, and leaving pump spells in the deck is a good way to make that happen. I'm on the fence about siding out Crop Rotation, but I've recently opted towards leaving it in to punish greedy keeps with Wasteland. It's also gotten considerably better with the addition of delve cards, though I've started taking those out postboard against storm as they're often too slow to matter.

Hi guys, played a local 7 man event last night and wanted to share a bit of a small tournament report with you guys. I'm running Tom Ross's GP list. Went 4-0 with a top 2 split as 2 people dropped after round 2. The lists were UWR Stoneblade, UWR Delver, UR Landstill, Lands, Manaless Dredge, Burn, and me piloting Infect.

Round 1 | Burn | 2-1
    This was fairly straightforward, first game i lost to him just being too fast and me keeping a slower hand. I sided in a lot of counter magic and took out the clunkier/slower elements such as the Git Probes and at least 1 Crop Rotation. Hydroblasts really helped me seal games 2 and 3, as i won the last game against double fireblast with force and hydroblast. Also won game 2 after wasting his Volcanic Island while he had 2 Treasure Cruises in hand.

Round 2 | Manaless Dredge | 2-1
    Game 1 manaless dredge just did everything its supposed to and represented lethal by turn 3, while it ripped my hand apart. Sided in some counter magic and the Bojuka Bog for the Crop Rotation package. He had a weird mana sideboard plan, although it didnt manage to make a difference. Game 2, his dredges were pretty bad while i managed to trample over with berserk for the win on turn 3 i believe. Game 3 A well timed Bojuka Bog stopped him from really getting his engine running at all, and it was a clean turn 3 win again. I believe he was running the combo kill sideboard and not mainboard.

Round 3 | UWR Delver | 2-0
    Game 1 he had an moderately slow hand, and the only threat he managed to land was a True Name while i amassed enough threats to swing through for lethal with some pump and force backup for his force. Game 2 he kept a 5 card hand that i won on turn 2 with a mistake on his part. I swung and he bolted first, which let me Invigorate, force his force, and berserk for the win. I believe he was really tilted and thats why he was aggressive on his use of the bolt.

Round 4 | Lands | 2-1
    Game 1, lands did its thing and eventually waste locked me while killing all of my threats with Punishing Fire. Game 2 i won, although extremely punting. I had the win extremely early on, but i was to nervous and didnt see the line of play and was thinking he had mana open for punishing fire when he didnt, read cards boys. I managed to win game 2 through a Tabernacle, a Maze of Ith, and Punishing Fire while he was constrained on mana by nickle and diming him while forcing 2 of his crop rotations. Game 3 he kept a bad hand, i managed to Bojuka bog him on turn 3 with a Loam in the yard and swung for lethal next turn while he didn't have much going on.

Would have played Delver again in top 2, but we split 35/35 credit as the event was a 10 dollar buy in.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Out of curiosity, was this RUG lands or Christmas lands? Additionally, what'd you sideboard for the matchup games 2 and 3? I'm always torn on the proper number of counterspells to leave in vs lands, as soft counters are pretty awful, but FoW's sometimes don't feel like enough.

A late Happy New Year to everyone playing Infect. Give your New Year's resolutions split second so they're guaranteed to resolve =)

Edited for holiday greeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Out of curiosity, was this RUG lands or Christmas lands? Additionally, what'd you sideboard for the matchup games 2 and 3? I'm always torn on the proper number of counterspells to leave in vs lands, as soft counters are pretty awful, but FoW's sometimes don't feel like enough.

A late Happy New Year to everyone playing Infect. Give your New Year's resolutions split second so they're guaranteed to resolve =)

Edited for holiday greeting.
    I'm pretty sure it was straight R/G Lands, as i can't really remember seeing any blue present. Trying to remember correctly i think i brought in more countermagic, an extra threat, another Wasteland, and a Sylvan Library. It's been a while since the tournament so i can't really remember exacts. Probably the best match of the entire thing, i really had to tip toe around Maze of Ith the entire time.

Report From 10.01.2015

Legacy Event in Hong Kong 15 People

Vs MUD 2-1

Game one was quick kill on turn 3 with blighted agent + Noble & two invigorate
    Game two, a platinum angel blocked me and put him at 22 poison didn't draw any artefact blow or berserk to let me win
    Game three quick kill as turn one with FOW daze back up

Vs BladeControl 2-0

game one and two : very quick game with both times kill by nexus and protect with Vine

Vs Ant 0-2

Forgot to bring my fluster storm in SB.
    Could get the win on second game with my noble + Become immense + berserk but he AD my hierarch then
    no creatures for 4 5 turns...

Vs DnT 1-2

game one he start and just jitte my creatures out and win
    game two i started and killed him turn 5 with time by time poison
    game three got killed by 2 flicker wisp and just put him at 4 poison

Well i finish 6th with a 2-2 but i think i did some misplay and still learn how to play perfectly this deck.

Went 4-1 last night (with a 1st place win thanks to breakers)
    Pretty stock list.

Creatures:
    4 noble
    4 glistener
    4 blighted

Spells:
    4 brainstorm
    4 invigorate
    3 spell pierce
    3 gitaxian probe
    2 FoW
    3 vines of vastwood
    2 crop rot
    3 daze
    2 berserk
    1 treasure cruise
    1 become immense

Lands:
    4 tropical island
    2 forest
    4 misty
    4 windswept
    1 wasteland
    1 pendelhaven
    4 inkmoth

SB:
    1 sylvan
    1 natures claim
    2 krosan
    1 karakas
    1 bojuka
    2 fow
    2 flusterstorm
    2 hydroblast
    1 mizzium skin
    1 engineered explosives
    1 relic of progenitus

Tbh I can't remember the games so much but
    Played against:
    Shardless bug win
    Jund win
    Jeskai stone blade 0-2
    Goblins win
    Miracles 2-0
    This match I remember
    G1: t1 glistene, t2 3xi invigorate with daze or pierce backup
    G2: he's stuck on - plains and an island - a t2 sylvan is so nice - I get there with inkmoths and nobles - survive a terminus with a daze

I do rember one game was a t2 invig/zerk I think against jund.

Anyways sorry I don't remember more I will take more notes.

TC BANNED so less forked bolt for US ...

Good to see meta is back to where it was pre TC!

What do u guys think?

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Definitely a step in the right direction, infect has plenty of opportunity to outplay opposing fair decks, so I feel like a shift back to RUG, BUG, and UWR delver are ultimately where we want to be. UR delver was definitely a force to be reckoned with, but I'm more glad to see the various jeskai ascendancy brews losing their place in the meta, as they felt like UR delver with more countermagic and a combo based finish.

I'll probably look to throw a one of ponder back into the 75, as I was formerly playing a TC singleton in the main. That said, ponder never felt all that impactful to begin with, so I'll probably spend some time seeing if we can find a better replacement. In particular, I think a one of dig through time might be strong if not too clunky. Catching opponents off guard with end of turn card advantage and selection seems incredibly strong, especially in a deck like ours that can pull out huge leads or even win outright from slightly favorable game states.
    Last edited by Jesture; 01-20-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Maybe time for dryad arbor to com back in? If we adopt dig through time maybe a single Island will be necessary?

I guess we need to wait and see what decks become popular.

I took infect to a 20-30 man tournament yesterday.

Standard list but with the ponder instead of the TC. I am a huge fan of become immense and i am very close at running 2 (cutting the 1-off ponder). That way, not drawing blue mana ist not as dangerous (i lost a game on that yesterday),

2-0 vs. D&T (before his jitte got active)
    2-1 vs. TA (g3 he nukes my 2 noble and 2 infect dudes with Golgari Charm, so I only have lands. He is on 9 infect and with tarmo, and DRS. No cards in hands. I draw BS and find crop rotation and when he draws delver and plays it, I EOT find the nexus and takes him out.) Love how the deck can kill from nowhere!
    2-0 vs. UWr delver
    1-2 vs. MUD (turn before kill he goes chalice 1 so my two vines are useless)
    0-2 vs. omnishow. i hate that deck so much...
    1-2 vs. D&T. I probably misplay but port and waste is difficult.

I think that Become Immense is underrated and as noone is bringing GY hate for us (especially now that TC is out) it could be justified to bring 2 IMO.

EDIT: What do you think about Wild Defiance in this deck? Its very useful against bolts, but 3CMC is quite costy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

Well yes i think the treasure Cruise spot will be replaced by become immense! I bought 4 playset of foil ones... Japanese one playset.
    To me i think we need to play more basics because Shardless and RuG will be back so wasteland also. And our mana is very fragile.
    I think the deck will be very good Vs Miracles and Shardless meta.
    Sideboard has to be changed also to less BEB and HydroBlast.

Saw a list online playing 4 fluster storm main... Ideas? to share i will change my new list this week end and will let u know guys.

I also PIMP my deck i will take a picture of it.... It's SHINY!

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

I played this to a 3-0-2 (two intentional IDs) fnm tourney last week (there wasa top 8, but we split). 27 people.

List:

4 Inkmoth
    1 Wasteland
    2 Pendelhaven
    8 Fetch
    4 Trop
    1 Forest

4 Hierarch
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Agent

4 Brainstorm
    3 Probe

4 Daze
    3 Force
    2 Spell Pierce

4 Invigorate
    3 Vines
    2 Become Immense
    2 Berserk

1 Crop rotation

SB: The usual.

I had very favorable matchups: I played miracles round 1, and storm rounds 2 and 3.

I freaking love the maindeck. Having played Ross's invitation build, and also the stifle build, I can say that for the Colorado meta, the stifle build was pure shit. Also, I found that 9 counters was the sweet spot. The only questionable slots are the probes (which I still love, since they pitch to Force) and vines. However, with cruise banned, I'm expecting an uptick in abrupt decay, which makes vines more valuable.

As for flusterstorm, I don't think it's need game 1. You're usually fast enough that spell pierce (and even daze) are basically hard counters. That spell pierce counters spells like jace, top, etc. does occasionally pop up.

What do you put in SB?

I have been wondering about Ponder, and why it doesn't seem like a particularly strong option for Infect. The times I have tested with it, I often found myself wanting only 1 of the three cards. When I have a shuffle effect that is obsiously fine. But I was thinking about Preordain, and how it might actually be better here. Maybe even something like Impulse, since instants are superior, and I often end my turns with an untapped Inkmoth anyway.
    What do you think?

Thread Information