Page 51 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1931

Thread: [Deck] U/G Infect

Nov 2007
    Finland

Re: [Deck] U/G Infect

Just heading to the gp site in Prague in order to start grinding for last chance byes. So excited!
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Just heading to the gp site in Prague in order to start grinding for last chance byes. So excited!
    Best of luck man! And best of luck to everyone else slinging poison counters this weekend, I hope your opening hands are full of nothing less than turn 2 kills with counter backup.

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

Alright fellow infectors, I spent the day on site in columbus. There is a lot of infect on the floor should be an exciting weekend!

I just submitted my finalized deck list, there's a lot of decisions in it but I'm really happy with how it is playing, I'll give a tourney report after the event i'll try and tweet updates during the event if anyone is interested (@shocked439).

here's the list:

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Pendelhaven
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Become Immense
    2 Berserk
    4 Blighted Agent
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Crop Rotation
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Glistener Elf
    1 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Invigorate
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Ponder
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Stifle
    3 Vines of Vastwood
    1 Viridian Corrupter
    Sideboard:

1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    1 Karakas
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Spellskite
    2 Submerge
    1 Teferi's Response
    1 Wasteland

My first ever GP, made it to day 2 as a 6-3. Faced Reid Duke with elves, never saw a pump spell both games and lost. Still think it's a good matchup though. Decided to drop with four losses as I was extremely tired (snoring hotel buddy ) and just wanted to get home and play with my dog. All in all was fun and I enjoyed it, just wish I wasn't so sluggish both days.

Creature - Cat Berserker
    Jan 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bichon_Blitz View Post
    My first ever GP, made it to day 2 as a 6-3. Faced Reid Duke with elves, never saw a pump spell both games and lost. Still think it's a good matchup though. Decided to drop with four losses as I was extremely tired (snoring hotel buddy ) and just wanted to get home and play with my dog. All in all was fun and I enjoyed it, just wish I wasn't so sluggish both days.
    As a primarily Elves player just picking up Infect, can confirm Elves is a good matchup for Infect.
    BORN TO PLOW
    META IS A FUCK
    GRIP EM ALL 1989
    I am green man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Infect in finals at GP Columbus, nice Clay!:)

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Wow he won! Nice job kid!

Wow did anyone read the finals game report against Joe Lossett?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ire-2016-06-12

Great job kid, and what a way to finish. Talk about style...!! Congrats on the huge, huge win! Fling poison all day, except when you don't and still win a GP!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt4in View Post
    As a primarily Elves player just picking up Infect, can confirm Elves is a good matchup for Infect.
    Yea in play testing never really had issues, but makes me feel better hearing from an Elves player.

Nice to see the deck take down the GP, I thought he had a better than average chance with 4 miracles decks in there.

Looking at his list 4 daze maindeck seems fine for g1 and probably makes sideboarding a little easier for g2. I cannot figure out what the wasteland in the SB is for. I think this was discussed a few posts back. I feel like the 1-of works fine as a silver bullet to glacial chasm/maze/etc...5 pieces of artifact hate, looks like he came prepared for jittes, chalices, and needles. 3 Probes might be better in a lot of matchups than a 2/1 ponder split. But can't argue with the results! I still like the white sb splash, has done right by me for the most part.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Yeah that conclusion was epic! Just a lowly noble hierarch to one-shot Joe freaking Lossett!

Man, that must be a risky feeling to go that route in the finals :P Plan B ftw!

I like that he cut the ponders for more croprot and daze. I also think the average meta right now justifies not playing the karakas..

Is there any video coverage for GP columbus? Can't find any.
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

You have to know when to go all in. Sounds like it was an easy decision in that spot.
    But wow, congratulations to that young man. Well done.

I had to settle for 11-4 at Prague, and I saw at least one Infect player ranked higher in standings.

What a weekend, first Storm in Prague and now Infect in Columbus. Glad to see that combo isn't dead with Eldrazi in the meta!

@Bichon_blitz: The Wasteland is indeed for Maze of Ith and Glacial Chasm.

Infect was infesting the top tables in Columbus. This deck feels like a prominent member of the tier 1 meta in the US, and if you want to do well at a large American Legacy event you're going to need a gameplan against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Infect was infesting the top tables in Columbus. This deck feels like a prominent member of the tier 1 meta in the US, and if you want to do well at a large American Legacy event you're going to need a gameplan against it.
    I like that it's not a tier 1 deck in Europe if you look at the number of people who play it. This means that people are less prepared for it which is good for us.

By the way, I heard Wizards and Tom Ross saying that Infect is one of the most difficult decks to play. Why is this? I find decks like Aggroloam or Lands much more difficult to play because of all the options you have. You have a more straightforward game plan with Infect, just give the opponent ten counters and you're done.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    I like that it's not a tier 1 deck in Europe if you look at the number of people who play it. This means that people are less prepared for it which is good for us.

By the way, I heard Wizards and Tom Ross saying that Infect is one of the most difficult decks to play. Why is this? I find decks like Aggroloam or Lands much more difficult to play because of all the options you have. You have a more straightforward game plan with Infect, just give the opponent ten counters and you're done.
    Two parts to this.

The first is how unforgiving Infect can be, attributed to a variety of things but most of all to the inherently disadvantageous nature of pump spells. You'll notice that very few other decks in Legacy play pump spells (The Cure, maybe another I'm forgetting) and that's not a coincidence. Pump spells are weak cards by design, they open you up to card disadvantage if your opponent knows to be patient with removal spells.

It's also an unforgiving deck for reasons such as every creature being a 1/1 and leaning on Noble Hierarch makes it difficult to not overextend into mass removal (can be done, just more difficult with mana dorks).

The second part is... difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. There's an immense mental game that comes hand in hand with playing this deck. Its a combination of a couple of things, like the ability to easily pump any Infect threat to 10, or the potential to pump a Noble Hierarch up to lethal damage, or the danger of EoT Crop Rotation into Inkmoth into untap lethal, basically the explosive power of the deck makes it dangerous and unpredictable. As such, a lot of your game plan revolves around drawing a mistake out of your opponent, which happens naturally against lesser players but can require a bit of creativity against better players. An example would be the Rynkiewicz play against BBD, where he baits out a Force of Will with a Crop Rotation, only to play Inkmoth and untap kill the following turn.

Game 1 for reference: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ugQQ6NACrpY

Then of course it cuts the other way as well, where we don't have the kill but still want to trick the opponent into making suboptimal plays such as unfavorable blocks or passive plays that respect the lethal pump when we don't have it. Stuff like fiddling with your lands with spells on the stack, or even asking your opponent to expressly pass priority in weird places (like in response to a Delver trigger) can go a long way towards getting free damage in with creatures. The extended bluffs like these are more impressive and more difficult to execute in my opinion, but they're also not as flashy and as such often get missed by spectators.

I've never been that good in mind tricks when playing Magic, I need to train that so I can utilise it a bit better. Of course I'll bait stuff like that I play an Agent first to see if it gets countered and if it does I'll play the Nexus but that's about it. Is there a way to practise this more? Because I've had moderate succes with the deck but I still feel that I can learn a lot.

Another thing, I think, is how and when to use vines of vastwood. It can sometimes swing the game one way or the other. How you sequence your pump spells and abilities, along with counters can be at times very confusing.

I don't think it's the hardest deck to play well, there's a lot of intense decision making for some decks. Some games, you will have to think a turn or two ahead, decide whether or not to go for it, or use pump spells defensively or let the creature die.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    I've never been that good in mind tricks when playing Magic, I need to train that so I can utilise it a bit better. Of course I'll bait stuff like that I play an Agent first to see if it gets countered and if it does I'll play the Nexus but that's about it. Is there a way to practise this more? Because I've had moderate succes with the deck but I still feel that I can learn a lot.
    Not sure if there's anything special to it, other than keeping an open mind and jamming lots of practice games. If you want to get super serious, I'd recommend taking notes during game so that you can recreate and review your decision process. Also make a note of whatever you were thinking at the time, as that can often be just as important as the plays you make.

On a related note, PVDDR just released a pretty cool article on the topic. Not as much geared towards legacy, but a fun read nonetheless. http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...-you-the-game/

Nov 2007
    Finland

I performed as I pretty much always do at gp's starting 3-0 into 4-4-drop. I lost to elves, jund, grixis delver and eldrazis. Won jund, shardless and two miracles.

I could have played tighter against elves while they took game one against me drawing creature heavy seven. Jund is annoying with all the removal. Infect is very strong as seen in Columbus but in my case pilot was eventually rather shitty.

In side events I played basically only bad matchups like lands and couldn't navigate my way to anything worth telling about.

Flusterstorms in main deck were very good and relevant in every matchup. Next step for me is to find room for Sylvan library in main and I wouldn't mind having a second Become Immense either. The 4 Daze plan from Columbus is also very promising.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Thread Information