Thread: Planeswalker Prison

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Planeswalker Prison

Strategy: use prison pieces to buy turns and use planes walkers to win / gain incremental advantage

I like the strategy because sometimes landing an ensnaring bridge just wins the game, same for moat / peacekeeper. Additionally i have been wanting to use jace / liliana but don't like complimenting them with creatures because i don't like aggro strategy. Originally i was running 5 colors but the other red / green planes walkers didn't seem to add much except to aggro strategy which i was trying to stay away from

card choice explanations below deck list

Planeswalkers - 12

4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2 Karn Liberated

Prison Pieces - 16

4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Moat
    3 Peacekeeper
    3 Bottled Cloister
    2 Null Brooch

Mana Accel - 8

4 Mox Diamond
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Chrome Mox

Lands - 24

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Tundra
    2 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Swamp

SB: 1 Karn Liberated
    SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Peacekeeper
    SB: 4 Trinisphere
    SB: 3 Chalice of the Void

Liliana of the Veil - obvious
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor - obvious
    Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas - not really sure but theres a few artifacts
    Karn Liberated - get rid of permanents

Ensnaring Bridge - lock opponent out of attacking with creatures. some decks simply can't beat this card main deck, merfolk, S&T, dredge, and I'm sure there are more
    Moat - ^ serves as psudo bridges 5-8, for consistency and resiliency in case 1 of the other forms gets destroyed
    Peacekeeper - ^ 9-11, for consistency and resiliency in case 1 of the other forms gets destroyed
    Bottled Cloister - creates card advantage and soft lock with ensnaring bride. Also prevents discard.
    Null Brooch - makes it difficult for opponent to resolve answers to lock pieces, with cloister there is 0 drawback, and works well with trinisphere from board

Mox Diamond - with 24 lands it seems reasonable, and they produce all colors to help with the 3x color and BB UU WW of spells
    Deathrite Shaman - see above, but only 2 because he needs to be very reliable as a mana producer; he also has added benefit of pseudo planes walker
    Chrome Mox - multiple planes walkers bunch up in hand and this can make use of them and accel the deck.

sideboard is incredibly rough and flexible, kinda just threw it together. mainly figured i needed something against combo decks so, chalice/trinisphere were natural inclusions

Variable slots - 10(im not completely sold on the following cards)
    2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2 Karn Liberated
    2 Null Brooch
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Chrome Mox

other possible inclusions (i'll update with peoples suggestions)

Pithing needle
    meddling mage
    Vindicate
    Elspeth, knight errant

I'm looking for comments, suggestions, and ideas for main board and sideboard.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: Planeswalker Prison

With only 2 Deathrite Shamans at 1 CMC I'd think Chalice of the Void could be played maindeck, it's a blowout against a lot of decks.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    With only 2 Deathrite Shamans at 1 CMC I'd think Chalice of the Void could be played maindeck, it's a blowout against a lot of decks.
    maybe this?

-2 null brooch
    -2 tezzeret
    +4 chalice

While chalice and null brooch serve similar purposes, to protect lock pieces, null brooch is more of a catch all and hits things too expensive to chalice.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

What about combo games? Looks fine for battling a bunch of critters but storm/omni-tell are going to walk all over this. Burn also looks like a terrible matchup. I think it really needs counter magic/discard to survive.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Jables237 View Post
    What about combo games? Looks fine for battling a bunch of critters but storm/omni-tell are going to walk all over this. Burn also looks like a terrible matchup. I think it really needs counter magic/discard to survive.
    Looks like the sideboard is built for those matchups. Chalice of the void at one = no cantrips. Leyline of sanctity for ToA or release the ants.

bruizar

I've tried many permutations of planes walker control type decks (As I used to own all those planes walker in foil, and collected all e. bridge effect cards). Tezzeret is going to be inconsistent if you don't build around it. Darksteel Citadel with Tezzeret is very nice, as it serves as an additional 'Ensnaring Bridge' (indestructible blocker). A large part of Tezzeret's value is in the digging ability, and I don't think you should over look that.

Liliana and Moat effects are quiet redundant and stretch the mana requirements. With moat out, -2 doesn't do a lot (utility creatures won't be sacrificed if they are relevant), and the -1 will just discard creatures.

I don't remember any game where I played Karn and lost. I absolutely love Karn, but you need to make sure that your game plan allows for you to actually play him.

I personally really like Ajani Vengeant even though it's just slightly underpowered. The reason is because he can tie up a creature (or other permanent/land) and you can sit behind your bridge waiting for the inevitable one sided armageddon. You can also use him as spot removal and gain life through him, which is important because burn decks and delver decks will fry you (by the time they can't attack, they've already got you in snapcaster/bolt range). He's quiet versatile.

I would actually consider cards that gain life even though that sounds like a stupid underpowered idea for legacy. Life is good! (Turbo Eldrazi will concur). In one of my builds, I had actually made use of Sheltered Valley (gaining me up to 5 life per game, which is 2 lightning bolts; obv doesn't work just in any build)

Those are my $.02

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I've tried many permutations of planes walker control type decks (As I used to own all those planes walker in foil, and collected all e. bridge effect cards). Tezzeret is going to be inconsistent if you don't build around it. Darksteel Citadel with Tezzeret is very nice, as it serves as an additional 'Ensnaring Bridge' (indestructible blocker). A large part of Tezzeret's value is in the digging ability, and I don't think you should over look that.

Liliana and Moat effects are quiet redundant and stretch the mana requirements. With moat out, -2 doesn't do a lot (utility creatures won't be sacrificed if they are relevant), and the -1 will just discard creatures.

I don't remember any game where I played Karn and lost. I absolutely love Karn, but you need to make sure that your game plan allows for you to actually play him.

I personally really like Ajani Vengeant even though it's just slightly underpowered. The reason is because he can tie up a creature (or other permanent/land) and you can sit behind your bridge waiting for the inevitable one sided armageddon. You can also use him as spot removal and gain life through him, which is important because burn decks and delver decks will fry you (by the time they can't attack, they've already got you in snapcaster/bolt range). He's quiet versatile.

I would actually consider cards that gain life even though that sounds like a stupid underpowered idea for legacy. Life is good! (Turbo Eldrazi will concur). In one of my builds, I had actually made use of Sheltered Valley (gaining me up to 5 life per game, which is 2 lightning bolts; obv doesn't work just in any build)

Those are my $.02

thats a good argument for liliana, however she contributes to hate against combo / control decks by limiting their hands. While that alone may not be enough, she is also the only worthy 3 drop planes walker and in the event that I do not have moat / bridge out she may allow me to survive until then.

With that being said she may not be the best option. Are you suggesting then I cut black and adopt red for ajani and maybe others? something like this would allow me to additionally run blood moon which falls in line with the other blowout cards.

Also, why did you abandon the deck? or did you?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Moat doesn't really stop the two most common critters atm: Delver and deathrite, they both still deal a constant stream of damage with moat out. I love peaacekeeper as a redundant lockpiece, but i may put it in the board for something else, games 2-3 some people should be taking removal out. Mind Games.

I also really like the idea of going red instead of black. Liliana is good, but she and tezz are the only black cards in the list that i'm seeing atm. I'm not sold on bloodmoons though in a 3 color deck.

Have you considered humility? I know there's an anti synergy w/ peacekeeper, but it's really good with white planewalkers. W/R Ajani, almost all elspeths, pretty good. It also take the utility out of the utility critters (i.e. shaman).

Karn is insanely expensive, but he fits with the one-sided armageddon theme of the w/r ajani, could be something else to look at. People will probably quit when being beaten by their own cards w/ no board. There's a lot of whiny bitches in this format. Maybe w/ sweeping their lands, the tabernacle could be of use? Throwing out an old throwback, it's always fun to dream about.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Moat doesn't really stop the two most common critters atm: Delver and deathrite, they both still deal a constant stream of damage with moat out. I love peaacekeeper as a redundant lockpiece, but i may put it in the board for something else, games 2-3 some people should be taking removal out. Mind Games.

I also really like the idea of going red instead of black. Liliana is good, but she and tezz are the only black cards in the list that i'm seeing atm. I'm not sold on bloodmoons though in a 3 color deck.

Have you considered humility? I know there's an anti synergy w/ peacekeeper, but it's really good with white planewalkers. W/R Ajani, almost all elspeths, pretty good. It also take the utility out of the utility critters (i.e. shaman).

Karn is insanely expensive, but he fits with the one-sided armageddon theme of the w/r ajani, could be something else to look at. People will probably quit when being beaten by their own cards w/ no board. There's a lot of whiny bitches in this format. Maybe w/ sweeping their lands, the tabernacle could be of use? Throwing out an old throwback, it's always fun to dream about.
    i've defiantly considered humility, but the issue with it is that you still have a bunch of 1/1's attacking your planes walkers. Moat i feel is more of a catch all when viewed independently. It has a chance to stop all damage instead of always just slowing the damage.

Humility gains its advantage when you use the white walkers, but thats what I'm trying to avoid. The white walkers all have aggro themes to them which sucks because white has evolved into a prison strategy and white walkers don't really compliment that. it's also better vs elves / S&T

moat - 80% chance to stop 100% of damage
    vs
    Humility - 100% chance to reduce damage

Cards favor following decks
    Moat - dredge / merfolk / maybe 90% of all other creatures / esper / bant / maverick
    Humility - S&T / Elves / RUG?

maybe the correct choice is to run 2x/2x split and let experience decide?

I'm going to test red and post my results after i have something decent to report.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

4 moat?

That seems beyond excessive when some of the best creatures in the format (delver, DRS, emrakul, etc) ignore it. Humility should be functionally better for you but will require some retooling.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    4 moat?

That seems beyond excessive when some of the best creatures in the format (delver, DRS, emrakul, etc) ignore it. Humility should be functionally better for you but will require some retooling.
    while that may be true, ensnaring bridge and peace keeper stop them with certainty. S&T has an incredibly hard matchup vs this type of deck with or without moat. 1/1's still kill me. I need a bridge with it and empty hand and in that case a bridge alone would have been better.

in my testing, i've died many more times with humility out than moat.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    while that may be true, ensnaring bridge and peace keeper stop them with certainty. S&T has an incredibly hard matchup vs this type of deck with or without moat. 1/1's still kill me. I need a bridge with it and empty hand and in that case a bridge alone would have been better.

in my testing, i've died many more times with humility out than moat.
    So then you agree that you should cut moat? You are saying you rely on peacekeeper and bridge.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

bruizar

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...x_layer_7.html

This is good for inspiration ^..

Oblivion Ring & Humility are good cards.

I think humility is so much better than moat. It just shuts down all the utility, and your +1's negate the offensive capabilities of the left-over creatures. There's also Punishing Fires that combo's well with humility and is really good on its own. Grove is sort of a bad color combination but I still like it for its control purposes. Green also gives Choke, which can be a blow out against many decks.

I abandoned the deck because it is still weak to creatures. You usually need to stabilize against creatures decks and end up in burn range (Life gain is GOOD for prison decks no matter how bad people say it is). Also, the deck will be very weak against Spell Pierce.
    Humility's friend
    Last edited by bruizar; 10-14-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Thread Information