Thread: More on Treaure Cruise and Dig Through Time

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

More on Treaure Cruise and Dig Through Time

Wizards most definitely screwed this up. I can understand somewhat if they shoved yet another excellent blue card in front of Legacy. We have come to expect that. But it seems that these cards are stupid across the spectrum. With only a little help, I was able to put together a dominating URB Delver deck for Modern. Modern! I don't even know the Modern banned list. I had to look it up. But I went noob slaying over the weekend on Cocktrick like a champ. In fact, the only time I seemed to not be in command was when my opponent also had these cards. But anyone not playing blue was a virtual pushover even though by and large I did not know what they were playing.

Oh, and this too for Modern. http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...-real-problem/
    I don't know the guy, but his experience seems similar to my own.

And don't forget Standard:
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ime-2014-10-12
    Yesterday's pro tour was a romp for Dig Through Time.

Yes, even Standard is able to reliably fill its graveyard. I don't get it. I thought the FFL thoroughly tested this stuff for Standard.

It is very early. But (in Legacy) I have played Treasure Cruise a lot, and it sure feels like it is unfair. I played against a few people with Rest in Peace coming in from the board, which should have been great, but what ended up happening was I was able to replace my dead TCs with all the other search in the deck while my opponent had to actually cast their hate for that one card. I did not even side them out because when I got one off first, it was still worth having to get rid of others. It is very much not effective because I am not playing combo. You can't really let the card resolve and you can't much prevent it. If my first one resolves, I even won most of the counter wars. That was, until everyone else started using the card. I don't even know what to call the format over the last week.
    ===================================================

So there is a big problem brewing. Since it is simple card draw, there is not much room for denying the power. It is a well understood issue. So I am going to be That Guy. Something has to get the hammer. Probably across formats, probably even restriction in Vintage. I suspect both of them. And how about a major "oops" from the boys in development.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: More on Treaure Cruise and Dig Through Time

Sounds like Wizards needs to ban Brainstorm! No, wait... Treasure Cruise! Yeah... that's the ticket.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Standard has fetches and is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, partly due to most of the manafixing lands coming into play tapped, so they have time to fill up their GY. That's why Azban absolutely dominated the PT, despite Jetski putting up better numbers overall.

And to be fair, unless you use Cockatrice to fight against actual opponents instead of drooling retards that are all over the place there, the testing results aren't worth much.

Both Delve cards are stupid and TC is definitely going to be banned in Modern since it's better than Visions. Legacy probably not so much, since Wizards doesn't care about the format.

We also need to wait and see what stupidity they bring to us this time in Commander 2014.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yeah. I am definitely conflating the evidence across formats. I still think it will be across the board even into Vintage though. Mostly I am astounded that they did not test these cards better.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

At this point i think Wizards just don't care and circlejerk around blue cards, while intentionally overcosting every decent red card.

What, just because blue has the best card selection, card advantage, combo, aggressive creature, midrange creature, counter spell, lock piece, tempo spell and planeswalker cards? That still leaves hatebear, discard, removal, and burn spell cards for the other colors, about one for each color. I mean, for now, until Commander 2015 and the rumored Swords to Fishing Nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Mostly I am astounded that they did not test these cards better.
    I am surprised you are surprised. They admitted once they only test for (if memory serves me right) Standard and Draft.

Anyway, it is interesting how more decks are adopting the two delve spells. I wonder if things are heading towards something like another Survival era, with many different decks sharing the same engine.

Thread Information