Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Stealing From Starcraft

[Article]Eternal Europe: Stealing From Starcraft

Something theory-based this time, trying to cross apply some concepts and terms:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...Starcraft.html

Enjoy and let me know what you think :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Stealing From Starcraft

Fairly unremarkable. It's true that you can learn valuable lessons from other games, and the more games/genres you go through (as I did when trying to find a backup to Magic) the more you see parallels between very different games. Basically, Sun Tzu was right :P

The problem with the article is that though the parallels are many, and many of those are valid, there is no sense in trying to force everything to fit, because often they just can't. Magic, for example, is strategically similar to games about controlling armies, there are parallels to economic concepts in Starcraft - RUG Delver is similar to earlygame pushes that want to cripple the opponent's economy for example. But some decks are much more about the fundamentals of the duel - combo decks and maybe some prison decks come to mind. They utilize the game rules equivalent of body mechanics to wrestle an opponent into submission (or as some feel win by a technicality), and go for position and openings much more like a real-life duelist or a fighting game character than an army in Starcraft does. (On the strategic scale anyway, armies obviously jockey for position prior to an engagement, especially in SC2 where one engagement often decides the game)

Furthermore Magic does a somewhat poor job of emulating an RTS battlefield because everything is in a single blob (or lane, if you like the MOBA analogy) - that means it's really hard to be in the wrong place like you can be in an RTS. You can't overextend and have a natural consequence to it in quite the same way - the primary check to overextension in our game being sweepers, not the opponent pooling his resources and concentrating his attack in one place. Netrunner does a far better job at that than most Magic-alikes because it has servers as an analog to RTS bases/resource nodes and you have to allocate defenses for them in advance instead of freely reacting.

To get back to the point, trying to force Starcraft terms to fit into Magic isn't really fruitful, because each game's terminology is born for the needs of that specific game. You might use more Starcraft terminology in the context of specific matchups - RUG Delver vs. Shardless BUG transfers over to Starcraft concepts pretty readily because it's all about economy, board presence and tempo. Something like Delver vs. Storm is far better represented by dueling swordsmen or the like. Hell, you could even consider it as a match between a resource denial push and a duelist who seeks out an opening for that one decisive hit, something that's just thoroughly strange to RTS and duelling.

If you want to take something from Starcraft/RTSes to Magic and apply it, the main point of interest would be a bit more general: The tension between army, economy and teching up and translating advantages or preparation from one phase of the game to the next and control of the playfield are things that apply to most games of strategy and are concepts that allow parallels to be drawn usefully from a multitude of sources.
    Last edited by Zombie; 10-14-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

If nothing else, this was a fun and cool article! I sort of agree Zombie. You can't apply Starcraft philosophy to Magic in such a broad sense. It works way better on a deck by deck basis. Either way, good stuff! Look forward to you doing something like this again.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I love both games; I love crossover-thinking. 'nuff said
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Neat, though I should say I always thought of MtG as more a fighter than a RTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63AE0s76qhU

To give an example of what I mean, I will do my best to translate the fighter terms presented in that video to MtG terms.

Phases of the round -> Essentially this all falls under Beatdown vs. Control
    Making Contact (aka Neutral Game) -> This is where imperfect information makes determining who is the Beatdown and who is the Control uncertain
    After Contact and Okizeme -> You are the Beatdown
    Defense and Wake Up -> You are the Control
    Knockdown -> Top Deck mode: wake up here basically means the ability to get out of that state, whereas okizeme means the ability to keep your opponent in that state
    Pressure -> Staying the Beatdown
    Combo -> Making the most out of being the Beatdown (i.e. winning the game efficiently)
    Mix-ups -> In short: Mind Games; to expand: no, this isn't just bluffing, but rather using knowledge and resources available to play a threat that the opponent does not have an answer for at the time
    Poking -> Playing a threat and seeing how the opponent responds to it to better gauge whether you are the beatdown or the control

Eh ... looks like a mess right now, but the general gist is that several genres implement the Beatdown vs Control dynamic.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

You make the same mistake as Carsten did and are trying to force everything to fit from GG to MTG, which is just not going to happen, especially when many MTG decks are better dissected according to RTS principles than fighting game ones. It's far more useful to draw singular parallels that may allow a new way to look at some specific thing about the game, but full-on porting everything is bound to end up being torturous and contrived.

On a fighting game related note, it's interesting how combo decks' high threat level allows the player to play actual mixups/mind games in the sense the term is used with fighting games. I find it true with Infect especially. You can see Tom Ross pull off all kinds of stunts with Infect just because it could kill you any second and plays well at instant speed. People have to respect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Nothing on APM?!
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Nothing on APM?!
    As a Judge, I see 0 far too much...
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    As a Judge, I see 0 far too much...
    Well Magic is naturally going to play out quite a bit slower. I suggest we measure in Free Bird Units (FBU), with one FBU = 9:06. With each round equal to approximately 5.6 FBUs, I think you could reasonably expect each player to average roughly 8-15 APFBU.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Well Magic is naturally going to play out quite a bit slower. I suggest we measure in Free Bird Units (FBU), with one FBU = 9:06. With each round equal to approximately 5.6 FBUs, I think you could reasonably expect each player to average roughly 8-15 APFBU.
    Never before have I wished I was an L5 so much, so as to make this written, documented policy.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

No Koreans allowed! kkkkk

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

I now want a burrito
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Thread Information