Thread: Rest in Peace, Painter's Servant, Grindstone

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Rest in Peace, Painter's Servant, Grindstone

Would somebody please explain to me how these three cards work together (assuming that all three are in play when Grindstone is activated)?

Do you grind 2 from the Grindstone, but then no more since the original two are exiled?

Thank you!

"Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: Rest in Peace, Painter's Servant, Grindstone

My guess would be that the process goes on as usual.
    The milled cards, even if they are exiled still have the same color due to painter servant.
    RIP only adds a replacement effect to the fact that the 2 cards are put in the graveyard. it doesn't stop the whole activated ability.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    My guess would be that the process goes on as usual.
    The milled cards, even if they are exiled still have the same color due to painter servant.
    RIP only adds a replacement effect to the fact that the 2 cards are put in the graveyard. it doesn't stop the whole activated ability.
    This is correct. Had this ruling at an SCG. I asked the judge if RIP stopped me from dying, he said yes, so I cast RIP. Then my opponent activated it and I called the judge and my opponent appealed to the head judge and we got the correct ruling and I died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This is correct. Had this ruling at an SCG. I asked the judge if RIP stopped me from dying, he said yes, so I cast RIP. Then my opponent activated it and I called the judge and my opponent appealed to the head judge and we got the correct ruling and I died.
    That's low. :(

I almost feel like we need a compilation thread of shitty judge calls.

Anyway, just to elaborate, a comparable example as to why Grindstone still works is Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. If you mill with Grenzo and the card gets exiled with Rest in Peace, the ability still works because it is in no way tied to the graveyard. The graveyard just happens to be where the cards are put when they're milled. In order for Grenzo (or Grindstone) to not work off of Rest in Peace, there would need to be some clause that ties it to the graveyard such as "put it from the graveyard on to the battlefield" (or something). In fact, even if Rest in Peace were instead a Wheel of Sun and Moon, the Grindstone's ability would still work (albeit an infinite loop that would draw the game, but whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Would somebody please explain to me how these three cards work together (assuming that all three are in play when Grindstone is activated)?

Do you grind 2 from the Grindstone, but then no more since the original two are exiled?

Thank you!

Since Rest in Peace is a replacement effect, it directly modifies Grindstone's ability as it resolves. Grindstone's ability doesn't know that the cards were supposed to go anywhere but exile, and doesn't care - it only cares about the color of the cards.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

This leads me to the question: do you have to inform your opponent that he just got a wrong ruling by the judge?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This leads me to the question: do you have to inform your opponent that he just got a wrong ruling by the judge?
    Obviously the moral thing to do is to appeal if a ruling is wrong even if it's in your favor, but no, you're not required to do anything about an incorrect ruling.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Obviously the moral thing to do is to appeal if a ruling is wrong even if it's in your favor, but no, you're not required to do anything about an incorrect ruling.
    Interesting. Although there is no real way for anyone to prove that you knew the correct ruling.

Fwiw, even if it did stop the grindstone, my opponent had a REB for my RIP. There was no salt from me. I knew I was basically screwed so no hard feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I've actually had that come up and I appealed for my opponent... he was shocked but it's the right thing to do (which is not really an opinion if you think about it..)

One of the recent JudgeCasts covered the issue that Julian mentioned.

You DO NOT have to mention an incorrect ruling by a judge. If a judge makes a bad ruling, and you know its wrong, you can legally remain silent. Whether it makes you a scumbag or not is up for debate.

EDIT: The best way to ensure this does not happen against you is to know the rules yourself. There are many excellent judges out there, and I appreciate the work that they do, but there are also lots of folks who are certified judges that do not know how Magic works. I have perused through Comp Rules document, and I listen to JudgeCast. While I have zero interest in becoming a judge, I've found that knowing the rules a whole lot better makes me a better player, and I think it's well worth the time investment.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

What do you do if your at a small event and you have no Head Judge to appeal to and you know the call is incorrect?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

You can try to explain yourself to the judge handling the situation but in the end the final call is up to him.

On the bright side, even though it always sucks, having a wrong judge decision at such a small event shouldn't be too worrying. I mean, something like that will not happen at a GP or any other big event.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    What do you do if your at a small event and you have no Head Judge to appeal to and you know the call is incorrect?
    If you're at a one-judge event, that one judge is the head judge. So the question is what do you do if you think the HJ is wrong, which could happen at any event.

If you disagree with a HJ's ruling, briefly and politely make your case, ideally with a pointer to the appropriate rule that they can look up on their smartphone. HJs have a responsibility to keep your match and the event moving in a timely manner, so don't be surprised if the ruling is reaffirmed.

You can also approach the HJ after your match, where there may be time for a longer discussion of the ruling. Any judge worth anything wants the correct ruling to be made, even if it means they were wrong.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Things like this get doubly awkward when you're a J2 and the head judge is just the guy who works at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Things like this get doubly awkward when you're a J2 and the head judge is just the guy who works at the store.
    Thankfully when you're a judge you should be able to look up the appropriate rule and hopefully the other guy is reasonable, though that's certainly not always the case with a LGS.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information