Thread: 'Murica Control

'Murica Control

'Murica Control is a White, Red, and Blue control deck for the legacy format. Just like its beer counterpart, PBR, this deck is pure American with tons of removal, control, and game ending bombs all ina cheaper smooth finish. In true American Rhetoric mumbojumbo this thread will be added to if there is an interest. So far I have a list and sideboard. Message me with any comments, questions, and concerns. Finally, after words on words here is the list as of now. Keep on keeping on!....Murica.

Main:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dig Through Time
    2 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    1 Batterskull
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Council’s Judgement
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    1 Assemble the Legion
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Counterspell
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Karakas

Board:
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Council’s Judgement
    2 Rest in Peace
    4 Meddling Mage
    1 Izzet Staticaster

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: 'Murica Control

Here's a banner for your OP: http://i.imgur.com/UwVJwlg.jpg

Looks pretty straightforward and freedom loving.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

I like the novelty. However, I don't understand 2 Jaces. Most Tap-out control philosophy decks would run 4 Jaces. Bolt is not that great, since you're not on WUR Delver's aggro plan using SFM and Delver. 4 Dig seems obsessive to me, it's a dead card in opening hand, it doesn't work like Treasure Cruise, 3 is the ceiling in my opinion.

I would:
    -4 Bolt
    -1 Dig
    +3 Lightning Helix
    +1 Jace
    +1 E. Tutor

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Played this for 5 rounds Friday, plus a top 8 match. I only had 3 Cruise and 1 Dig though and -1 Council's in the board (I expected some burn decks).

I played Lands twice, Elves once, Affinity, and UWR Blade. It was draw city, I ended 5 rounds at 1-1-3. I beat Affinity (Game 1, Turn 4 Verdict, Turn 5 Assemble; Game 2, I had 5 1 mana removal spells in hand, in to a Keranos).

All I can really say is that Lands and Elves seem like terrible matchups. I killed about 15 elves and still lost to 1/1 beats, because I just could not find a win condition in game 2, so that was a draw. Lands is also really bad, because while Blood Moon is awesome, we can't interact with K Grip or Decay. I drew with Lands and lost to Jund Depths. I could have beat Lands, but could not draw lands and he had triple Rishadan Port. Jund Depth just drew all the Decays it needed. UWR Blade was a draw because in game 1, I slow-rolled my Council's for too long to get rid of his Jitte and then I was a turn too late with finding the Blood Moon to stop his manlands.

Due to some bizarre circumstances (Elves player ended up giving me the win, one guy left early at 2-2 to chase some tail) I made top 8. I basically got nut draw in two games by BUG Delver. He had every conceivable answer and top deck he needed to win, from timely Wastelands and double Decay, to running Cliques in game 2 while I drew fetch after fetch.

Conclusions:
    First, I need more sleep to play faster and better (played at 6:30 pm, had been up since 3:30 am).
    Second, 3 Cruise and 1 Dig felt good, maybe 2/2 is better, but when I am on the fetch Basics plan, double U can be rough. Numerous times on the night (at least 3 I can recall) I Cruised off a single Island to find a second U source.
    Third, I am probably just bad, but win conditions were hard to find all night. Not that I was this deck to be loaded down with them, but I feel I need one more. Perhaps up to 3 Jace? I also considered going to 2 Enlightened Tutor.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I have done some more testing for another GPT. I reworked the deck for all the fair decks. The board is really meant against UR delve and other delver decks. Combo is a rough,rough, rough match-up. Namely Storm based combo. Control has been 50/50 and my thought on these match-ups is to throw haymakers. Here is the new list:

Main:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Treasure Cruse
    3 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    1 Batterskull
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Council’s Judgement
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    1 Assemble the Legion
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Counterspell
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Karakas

Board:
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Council’s Judgement
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Rule of Law
    1 Graffdigger's Cage

I ended up going back to cruse because of mana concerns. After reading comments I like the tap-out style for this deck with the haymakers. Please continue to share your thoughts and opinions. I am hoping to make this deck a real thing.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I am still going to be testing this deck in the future, although, probably not next week (bigger tournament, not fully comfortable just yet). I just got in my foil Assemble and my foil Keranos, so I'm in for at least playing this several more times, but I ran an Ethersworn Cannonist in my board the last time, which I really prefer over the Eidolon or the Rule of Law, mostly because two versus three CMC, since that turn 3 is often too late. I am willing to sacrifice the chance that they can still drop a bunch of artifacts for the fact that it can swing for 2, since it isn't as if we have much pressure otherwise. Life totals could possibly be relevant if you happen to have a RiP out, since Storm will probably have to go through an Ad Nauseum.

Along the same lines, I think Clique is really, really good out of the board, for the same sort of reasons. Disruption plus pressure, seems good. I love a draw step Clique and late game, a Clique plus a Karakas can be very good at dictating what you will allow you opponent to do.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    I have done some more testing for another GPT. I reworked the deck for all the fair decks. The board is really meant against UR delve and other delver decks. Combo is a rough,rough, rough match-up. Namely Storm based combo. Control has been 50/50 and my thought on these match-ups is to throw haymakers. Here is the new list:

Main:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Treasure Cruse
    3 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    1 Batterskull
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Council’s Judgement
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    1 Assemble the Legion
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Counterspell
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Karakas

Board:
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Council’s Judgement
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Rule of Law
    1 Graffdigger's Cage

I ended up going back to cruse because of mana concerns. After reading comments I like the tap-out style for this deck with the haymakers. Please continue to share your thoughts and opinions. I am hoping to make this deck a real thing.
    I really think you should run Dig. You get more selection.

However, if you insist on TC, rename the deck to Cruise Control.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    I really think you should run Dig. You get more selection.

However, if you insist on TC, rename the deck to Cruise Control.
    Sometimes the double Blue was an issue with Dig. Sometimes the raw card count of Cruise was great. I ran a 3/1 Cruise to Dig split. I might try a 2/2 split next time I run this though. Both effects are great in their own way, but there is merit to both. Once I cast Dig because I really needed a land and frankly I would have wished it was a Cruise then. I did once counter a Deathrite activation with Dig, which was neat, but I missed on what I needed, which sucked,

I am still unsure about the correct split of cruse vs. time. I am getting more and more frustrated with spell pierce. I am going to test Izzet Charm in its place as a 2 of. It adds more removal and can fill yard for delve. With this configuration I think cruse will be better than dig because of awkward blood moon situation trying to slam an early moon. The board is then being reworked for combo/control/ elves/ and ur delver.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I am still unsure about the correct split of cruse vs. time. I am getting more and more frustrated with spell pierce. I am going to test Izzet Charm in its place as a 2 of. It adds more removal and can fill yard for delve. With this configuration I think cruse will be better than dig because of awkward blood moon situation trying to slam an early moon. The board is then being reworked for combo/control/ elves/ and ur delver.
    I don't much like Spell Pierce outside of tempo-style decks, since it's real utility fades quickly. I kept trying to hold it to protect my win conditions, but by the time I drew one and could play it, I was either short another mana or I had to use to Pierce on something else. I think I will follow you on the Izzet Charm, I'd love to use it to filter out some of the fetches I was drawing in several late games. In those cases, I really don't care about the card disadvantage, we have many ways to make it up later, I just need things, not lands. It would also be hilarious to have 12 removal spells, since most Delver decks only run 12-14 threats.

The Izzet Charms have been testing amazing so far. I am really struggling in making a solid sideboard.
    For sure I want the following
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Graffdigger's Cage
    1 Council's Judgement
    1 Pithing Needle
    That leaves 5 spots. Please feel free to give suggestions.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The Izzet Charms have been testing amazing so far. I am really struggling in making a solid sideboard.
    For sure I want the following
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Graffdigger's Cage
    1 Council's Judgement
    1 Pithing Needle
    That leaves 5 spots. Please feel free to give suggestions.
    I would probably have an Ethersworn Cannonist and a Circle of Protection: Red. If you want to hose Elves, you can try a Cursed Totem as well, but that is something they can Decay. Frankly I think the Elves matchup is going to be rough one way or another, so I don't think I would try to put too many cards in there for it. I really liked the Cliques in the side, I had people who took out their removal versus me, only to get hit by Clique. It is also good versus Liliana, who can be a problem if she comes down somewhat early and we can't counter. The sideboard Blood Moon was also kind to me, but then again, I played multiple times versus Lands.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Have you seen Carsten's recent article? He plays both Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise :)

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...In-Legacy.html

Ehhh I like Karsten's idea. But part of the reason I made this deck is acess to blood moon. Blood moon acts as a win condition against BGx decks. Still am trying to redo sidebars so any suggestions I will take.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Going with MD Pyroblasts makes sense, so I'm with Karsten on this one.
    Another thing that should be evaluated is Flusterstorm over Spell Pierce.
    The only real menaces Spell Pierce is better against are Jace and Lili. Jace can be handled via Pyro while Lili can be handled via EE, which I also recommend over Bolt #3&4.
    Basically against anything else (looking at the tier decks) Flusterstorm comes out on top. Being sweet versus Combo is a big plus too, which UWx control sans CB-Top will always be soft against.

@Karsten: I do think at least one MD Supreme Verdict is in order. Two might be just the right number, though at one point you have to think about your curve. I do love it's power level though.

Here's something I developed based on Karstens input:

3 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    (-20-)

1 Entreat the Angel's (yes, even without Top - with all the Cantrips, you can time it)
    1 Elspeth, Knight's Errant (after some testing, I'm considering making this Entreat #2, I'd be adding a singleton Top in that case)
    (-2-)

4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    (-11-)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    (-9-)

4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor (-1 DTT + 1 Jace, adding more BS effects to ship back EtA)
    3 Dig Through Time
    1 Treasure Cruise (3/1 over 4/0 as I realized that the one mana TC may save you, can be decisive, when you need to keep up mana for CS)
    (-8-)

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Lightning Bolt (removing Shaman is paramount)
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Supreme Verdict (tried just 1, but the second is dearly needed)
    (-9-)

SB
    • 2 Wear/Tear ------------- one mana RiP removal
    • 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    • 1 Flusterstorm
    • 1 Hydroblast
    • 1 Pyroblast
    • 1 Red Elemental Blast
    • 3 Vendilion Clique
    • 2 Pyroclasm
    • 2 Supreme Verdict
    Last edited by klaus; 10-24-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Tested against Bant, BUG delver, and storm on Tuesday. Came to the following conclusions
    - Pierce is now gone and 2of Izzet Charm is in. It helps in all stages of the game from counter, removal, and card quality under a moon.
    - Cruse over Dig. It is so much easier to cast a cruse over dig especially under a moon to find second U source.
    - Meddling Mage is awesome in board. Let's face it combo is though like built ford though. With that in mind here is my current board:
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Council's Judgement
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Graffdigger's Cage
    - I have been thinking about a creature sideboard for games 2-3 to troll people harder. That or I was also thinking about cutting a blood moon and judgement in the board for 2 cliques.

I am loving this deck as it is very reactive and does well against most the field (besides combo). The weakest part is the board so any help would be appreciated.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

I gotta say, I'm very very pleased with EtA as a 2-of finisher. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.
    As expected all those cantrips make sure you get it, when you want it and find BS / Jace to ship it back when needed.

Theory crafting tonight has led to testing the following sideboard next week:
    3 Red Blast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Graffdigger's Cage
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Clique
    1 Null Rod

Thinking it is going to be ok versus DnT/Miracles/Combo. Only real big concern is lossing needle may hurt against Sneak Attack.

Edit: have been doing testing to end with this lest. This is probably the list I will end up playing at GPNJ. Any comments or suggestions to help improve the list are encouraged and welcomed.

Main:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Treasure Cruse
    3 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Council’s Judgement
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Batterskull