Thread: [Article] Delving into Legacy

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Article] Delving into Legacy

Patrick Dickmann looks at what impact the new Delve cards will have on the Legacy format.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Re: [Article] Delving into Legacy

The article is too late. I think its the 7th or 8th on that exact topic.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

It was written and handed in weeks ago.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Delve is a mechanic that is covered within the Legacy pool of cards but hasn’t really seen play with the exception of Tombstalker which has been a 1-2 of in Team America, Legacy’s black-blue-green colored Delver variant. Is this due to a lack of options regarding cards that abuse Delve or does this lack of Delve cards stem from the Delve mechanic itself?
    he is aware that before Khans was legal, Tombstalker, Death Rattle and Logic Knot were the ONLY Delve cards printed? In form of Tombstalker, the mechanic already proved that it is an easy to abuse mechanic over the timespan of 7(!) years of being legal and the question is still why WotC thought Delve is a fine mechanic to balance Ancestral Recall

Storm on the other hand cannot play these cards in the mainboard but could very easily slam a copy of them into their sideboard, as long as they are playing Burning Wish. Being able to wish for a very potent cantrip that also creates card advantage is huge.
    Either Patrick read about this in the spoiler/storm threads or Phillip hinted him on that idea of mine ;P

The only point I have to question is his verdict in regards to decks profiting from TC. The suggested decks are simply too permanent-heavy to really scratch the potential of TC. Pairing SCM and Lingering Souls with Treasure Cruise isn't clear design. DRS + TC + Delver + TNN is the best shell. Period
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It hurts my eyes to also see Patrick fall victim to the "mainboard" fallacy
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I fear, I don't get it atm :(
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Dec 2010
    GermOney

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I fear, I don't get it atm :(
    Superficial (dunno if it's the right word) people tend to overreact if someone uses the term "mainboard" instead of "maindeck"!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Superficial people think people who dislike the use of the word "mainboard" are superficial.

To me it's just the same feeling as when people use phrases like "I could care less", "alot" or wrong uses of they/their/they're.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Dec 2010
    GermOney

Superficial people think people who dislike the use of the word "mainboard" are superficial.

To me it's just the same feeling as when people use phrases like "I could care less", "alot" or wrong uses of they/their/they're.
    Maybe we're both superficial. But let's point out that everybody knows that "Main....(.)" means the first 60/61 in first case and "Side....(.)" ,means the last 0 or 15. The sense should be clear.

Back to topic: Yeah, maybe the article is a little too late and it seems to just summarize all other articles in relation to that topic (like Carsten's), but it provides a futuresight of what will be going on. If it's right or wrong, time will tell. At least, it's funny to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    It was written and handed in weeks ago.

Greetings
    This. Article seems like it would have been much more timely about a month ago now. I'm sure there's a few people a bit pissed this article only got posted recently Still I think the article is great even if a bit outdated as the analysis seemed mostly solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
    Maybe we're both superficial. But let's point out that everybody knows that "Main....(.)" means the first 60/61 in first case and "Side....(.)" ,means the last 0 or 15. The sense should be clear.
    Is it awful that I read that as "main boob" and "side boob" though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Last SCGO seems to negate dickmann theory that blade was hurt by cruise. In fact, the cards is so awesome that blade can abuse it too. And they draw better cards with it.

Two weeks ago I played with patriot against a cruiseless blade and it was stupid. I dominated every stage of the game. I was the tempo and the control deck at the same time.

Last SCGO top 16:
    1.- deathblade: 3 TC
    2.-elves 0 TC
    3.- UR delver 4 TC
    4.- canadian 3 TC
    5.- grixis delver 0 TC
    6.- elves 0 TC
    7.- UR delver 4 TC
    8.- miracles 0 TC
    9.- burn 0 TC
    10.- reanimator 0 TC
    11.- team america 4 TC
    12.- reanimator 0 TC (2 DTT)
    13.- UR Delver 4 TC
    14.- elves 0 TC
    15.- renimator 0 TC
    16.- elves 0 TC

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Patrick Dickmann looks at what impact the new Delve cards will have on the Legacy format.

Greetings
    I thought Patrick has almost not legacy experience at all, at least he said so himself on his stream, when he was piling up losses with Shardless BUG on MTGO.

So I am not sure how he can really assess the Delve cards and what it means to a format he has not really played.

His blog though is a month late considering it is just a rehash of what Carsten wrote before KTK release. Now it is revisionist history since TC is far from a hidden card and already a format staple.

And yeah I don't get how he figures that Deathblade would be hurt by this. Deathblade is a perfect home to
    a) take advantage of treasure cruise also
    b) combat treasure cruise (Notion Thief, SotL, Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void)

He seems to mix up what he calls Deathblade, Esperblade, Esper Control also? It seems to me that by his terminology Esperblade=Esper Control? and that he thinks Deathblade is not Esper which is news to me since Deathblade always was Stoneblade+Black and that does not change with DRS.
    So his summary that Deathblade was hurt by Treasure Cruise but in the same breath saying that Esper Control = Esper Blade would be the new deck to beat with the only difference being that his Esper Blade draft plays Snapcaster Mage instead of Deathrite Shaman seems rather stupid to me.

Shardless Bug is only hurt by the fact that Treasure Cruise does not add anything new to their deck and does not really replace Ancestral Visions very well unless you move to a regular Bug build. So yeah Shardless BUG might be hurt, but they can sideboard against the new meta pretty well I think.

Thread Information