Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source Secret Santa 2014?

Site Contributor

Sep 2013
    DFW

Re: Source Secret Santa 2014?

I also don't mind helping organize. I had a blast doing secret Santa last year. Maybe those who have volunteered to help so far can discuss what the minimum requirements/guidelines should be for this year.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: ANT

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Only one AdNaus deck in the top 16 this week?

THANKS OBAMA.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Whoever will be organizing this please make sure to make it clear that if somebody can't afford 20-30$ gift or choses to send garbage it's better not to particiapte.

I'm all for the christmas spirit and all that, but having people abuse that, entereing into secret santa as a lottery to see if they'll get something valuable, while themselves send out untradebale crap is unacceptable! We've seen it happen every year, and I beleive last one was at it's peek. Yes, there should be a blacklist debarring few from participation.
    I tried lazily scrolling through the thread starting at the tail end because I do remember a few from last year that were distinctly lackluster, but after a while I got bored and the only one that stuck out was your post complaining about what Whippoorwill had received. With that in mind, and in this context alone as I have no beef with you otherwise, you are the problem. It's impossible to weed out the lackluster packages. You have to just be aware that at some point to someone it is going to happen and accept that it might happen to you. Not to mention the possibility of people just not sending out at all or a package getting eaten by the beloved Canadian Postal Service.

Ignoring that "tradable" shouldn't even be a concept associated with this, if you're expecting value, you've entered this for the wrong reason. Pimp packages do exist and I'm going to do my best to make my package as lovable as possible, but the core of it is that I'm sending out because I want someone to have something to open, and I'm receiving because I want something to open. If I get a German Bloodbraid Elves, a Meandering Towershell, something crappy poorly altered with love, and some random staple, mission accomplished. My week will be made. Anyone who wouldn't be happy with the same is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I tried lazily scrolling through the thread starting at the tail end because I do remember a few from last year that were distinctly lackluster, but after a while I got bored and the only one that stuck out was your post complaining about what Whippoorwill had received. With that in mind, and in this context alone as I have no beef with you otherwise, you are the problem. It's impossible to weed out the lackluster packages. You have to just be aware that at some point to someone it is going to happen and accept that it might happen to you. Not to mention the possibility of people just not sending out at all or a package getting eaten by the beloved Canadian Postal Service.

Ignoring that "tradable" shouldn't even be a concept associated with this, if you're expecting value, you've entered this for the wrong reason. Pimp packages do exist and I'm going to do my best to make my package as lovable as possible, but the core of it is that I'm sending out because I want someone to have something to open, and I'm receiving because I want something to open. If I get a German Bloodbraid Elves, a Meandering Towershell, something crappy poorly altered with love, and some random staple, mission accomplished. My week will be made. Anyone who wouldn't be happy with the same is doing it wrong.
    So how exactly am I wrong? If rules say (as they said) 20$ (or was it 30?) minimum, then don't send only crap (you can still send crap in addition to something nice). I would just like to have this be clear to everyone entering SS14.

Or we can remove the price tag at all and just send whatever..

And yes, isn't it obvious, I'm in it for the profit
    Last edited by Mr Miagi; 10-22-2014 at 01:16 PM.

I won't be able to organize or participate this year, but good luck to those who are.

EDIT: @Mr. Miagi: The floor is just a suggestion. Most people exceed that threshold, some by a wide margin. However, some people won't and will send as little as possible, so we have a minimum to try to make sure you aren't going to get some lightly played draft uncommons and a ball of lint for Christmas. The usual screening methods for this - often "You must have been an active member of the site for at least this long to ride this ride" - aren't really adequate as in previous years we've had lurkers or new people participate without issue while some established members have been decidedly stingy. Asking people not to participate if they can't send good packages is also moot since (1) that goes without saying for most people and (2) some people will participate regardless in hopes of getting a sweet package from one of the known highrollers. You can't really control for it. In the past, I've personally sent cards to people who got very bad packages as a thank you for participating, but whether this year's organizer wants to do the same is up to him.

With that in mind, I'd issue the following caution: if getting $20 in Standard playables at October TCG mid prices will break your heart and ruin your Christmas, seriously consider whether you want to participate. Not everyone will get a terrible package but the pairings within country/region are more or less random, so it could happen to you. It's fine to go into this with the hope that you'll get presents from an sdematt, but keep in mind that most players aren't that rich and you're probably going to get like $40ish of SP/NM fringe staples because that's usually how these things go. Just appreciate it for what it is and try not to get your hopes up too much.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I haven't participated before, but I would like to. I can't promise an insane package, but I'll make it interesting for whoever I get!
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I need to take a look at what I've got lying around, I had to skip last year since I moved, bought a house, and got married. This year we are having a baby, so spending has been low, but if I find some cool stuff to move, I might do it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also someone said maybe the minimum should be raised? I wouldn't be opposed to his 50 dollar minimum that he proposed last year. If nothing else, it would weed out the people a bit who are just in it for value. Me personally, I just hope my Santa likes altering things because I would love Christmas themed alters to play with!
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2012
    1005 County Line Road Hatboro, PA 19040

I'd love to take part again!
    Stomping Grounds Games and Hobbies
    e-Mail: info@sggamesandhobbies.com
    Phone: (267) 387-6719
    1005 County Line Road
    Hatboro, PA 19040

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Im in, I dont make alot but I have piles of sweet things laying around and I love Christmas!
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Looking forward to participating this year!

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I tried lazily scrolling through the thread starting at the tail end because I do remember a few from last year that were distinctly lackluster, but after a while I got bored and the only one that stuck out was your post complaining about what Whippoorwill had received.
    Just a quick post to confirm that I did receive a 2nd package shortly after that first one from my Santa. I just never got around to posting pictures of those cards. Overall, I was quite happy with what I had received.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Last year was a blast!
    I'm in as well.

P.S. Can I get Lemnear so I finally have an excuse to send him booze?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    Last year was a blast!
    I'm in as well.

P.S. Can I get Lemnear so I finally have an excuse to send him booze?
    Booze? Pal, I have planned to send out a Bavarian Gingerbread Bomb on top of altered cards and german foils as an act of terror on healthy living
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Secret Sauce 2014: The Year Everyone Got Booze

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If it's going to be a problem for you that you're not getting back what you're putting in, maybe you should just go get yourself the things you want and not worry about a Secret Santa event.

I was about to post this thing about putting people in different brackets and shit (like where the expected 'return' is a certain dollar amount or whatever), but it's entirely unenforceable, it only takes one bad experience to sour a person anyway, and just what the heck are you doing worrying about what you're receiving, anyway? I was under the impression that the underlying theme of "Non-Denominational Holiday Gift Exchange" was to enjoy giving, without concern for the receiving. If you're upset about the return, I daresay you're in it for the wrong reasons.

EDIT: My finances are slightly better than they were last year (in spite of the whole foreclosure business) so I can almost certainly partake this year - if you're not picky about the return anyway >:/ I'll read your wishlist and shit but I'm not Scrooge McDuck :B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I would wanna be involved with this too, I was broke as shit last year and so I felt bad about participating (still broke as shit, but now I have some cool cards to give away.)

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by afb0032 View Post
    I also don't mind helping organize. I had a blast doing secret Santa last year. Maybe those who have volunteered to help so far can discuss what the minimum requirements/guidelines should be for this year.
    I think the easiest would be to copy the same rules as last year/previous years and possibly increase the minimum. Maybe to $30 since that would increase the minimum expected value and still allow those with less resources to participate. After all, this is supposed to be a fun event and not everyone is going to be able to go overboard on their packages.

One idea I'd like to suggest is that everyone participating tries to personalize their packages. It doesn't have to be anything exciting, just something more than cards in an envelope. Things like an alter done by you or even just a short note. Otherwise it just seems like we're making blind trades.

Site Contributor

Sep 2013
    DFW

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    I think the easiest would be to copy the same rules as last year/previous years and possibly increase the minimum. Maybe to $30 since that would increase the minimum expected value and still allow those with less resources to participate. After all, this is supposed to be a fun event and not everyone is going to be able to go overboard on their packages.

One idea I'd like to suggest is that everyone participating tries to personalize their packages. It doesn't have to be anything exciting, just something more than cards in an envelope. Things like an alter done by you or even just a short note. Otherwise it just seems like we're making blind trades.
    I sent some proposed guidelines to Valtrix to judge their fairness earlier.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: ANT

Only one AdNaus deck in the top 16 this week?

THANKS OBAMA.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

Count me in too! Last year was a bit disappointing, not because of the package I received which was awesome but because my victim has been... well victim of a steal.
    I hope my package will arrive safe this year!

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post

Planned on actively trolling my victim (and I guess I'll send something nice as reperation)

Just trying to figure out how
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Thread Information