Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deck ideas - old frame only

Re: Deck ideas - old frame only

I would like to see a Elves or Enchantress deck next :)

I will try and post a preliminary Super Grow list tonight.
    Not sure how to solve the "Gush is banned in Legacy" issue.
    Might need less copies of Foil, to compensate, and additional card filtering...? Sleight of Hand, Portent, etc...

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Awesome - looking forward to reading it. I plan on reviewing the Banned lists at some point to see if anything else can be removed. My friend really wants Gush to be unbanned, but I don't think it should be. I've been reading the old B/R lists to see what was banned, when and why in Type 1.5 and Extended - I know a card like Black Vise could be unbanned by today's standards, but figuring out what is safe to unban in this format can be hard to do without extensive playtesting. For example, I think Flash could be removed since we don't have Protean Hulk, but I can't remember if there's some ridiculous combo with it before then? Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

At the time I would probably keep the ban list exactly like the current Legacy... Otherwise, it's another entry barrier and source of confusion.
    Saying "Legacy format, with only old frame cards" is something everyone quickly grasps.

As for the SuperGrow list, this might be generic enough for casual fun.
    (a quick search reveals tons of threads and articles on this deck, even here on The Source)

SUPER GROW

4x Quirion Dryad
    4x Werebear
    3x Meddling Mage
    2x Mystic Enforcer

4x Brainstorm
    3x Portent
    3x Sleight of Hand

3x Stifle
    3x Daze
    2x Counterspell
    4x Force of Will
    1x Misdirection

4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Disenchant

4x Flooded Strand
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Tundra
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Savannah
    1x Island
    1x Plains
    1x Forest

4x Meddling Mages could be too much for casual, as we don't quite know what the "meta" is (if any...).
    10x card filtering spells to go through the deck, achieve threshold and grow the dryad.
    6x versatile removal cards, and 6x hard counters.
    Stifles to protect against Wasteland and disrupt opponent's fetchlands, among other uses later on.
    Daze to disrupt and slow down the opponent.
    Misdirection can serve as additional removal + creature protection + disruption (redirect a Hymn to Tourach back is amazing)

The original Extended lists had Gush + Foil + Winter Orb, which was a powerful combo, but since we can't use Gush... :P

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

It's already different because Survival's not banned. The people I play with are that nice balance of competitive but play for fun. There are a LOT of viable archetypes, so no meta has really developed yet - people have been enjoying brewing. I think one of the strengths of the format is that because creature power levels weren't ridiculously imbalanced as they are now, a lot more of them are playable. The 'stronger' creatures tend to be the build-around type, so that makes a large number of them playable in different decks. I think "Legacy B/R with a couple of differences" is easy enough for people.
    As for the deck, it's pretty sweet. Have you been playing much with people yet?

Survival of the Fittest is not banned anymore in Legacy!?

In casual play, sure, no problem... If we're all having fun, while keeping it reasonably balanced, i see no harm :)

As for playing with others, "old frame only" hasn't caught up here... yet... I went to a small Legacy tournament last weekend (3 rounds only) with the Eva Green list i posted earlier... People liked the deck.

Managed to defeat a current Legacy Reanimator 2-0 (duress, wastelands and hymns left him without mana), lost 0-2 to CounterTop Miracles (no chance whatsoever to destroy either Jace or the Top once it's in play), and also lost 0-2 to BW tokens (this one was more evenly played, but he overwhelms the board quickly, and i couldn't find a Pernicious Deed in time).

16 creatures felt too few at times, but 6 games is not enough to check this properly... I tried the spiritmongers, but since i use Wastelands as active disruption, getting to 5 mana takes time. Needs more testing. For the time being, erhnams remain my choice for the main deck.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onehitpoint View Post
    Survival of the Fittest is not banned anymore in Legacy!?
    No no, I meant Survival's not banned in the Ancient format. That's awesome that you're playing the decks vs Legacy ones! I've been considering doing the same with the Astral Rift deck I posted since one of the three main Legacy places to play here is pretty low on combo. If/when I do, I can post some reports too.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    That's awesome that you're playing the decks vs Legacy ones... I can post some reports too.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...th-Terrageddon
    Oldie but goldie.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onehitpoint View Post
    I would like to see a Elves or Enchantress deck next :)
    I've already written the Enchantress one, but I'm having so much fun with this Elf deck that I think it's going to be next.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Elves posted. The deck contains 4 Gaea's Cradle, but they're not mandatory. Other than those, this is a great budget deck that's strong and very fun to play.

I never played Elves. It looks interesting...

Why no Pendelhaven? We have a lot of 1/1's that could benefit from it. Protection from pyroclasm effects, supports blocking opposing attackers...

4 Gaea’s Cradle seems a lot. Try to cut a single copy and increase the Living Wishes instead.

Kaysa in the sideboard could be another wish target as an alternative to the Lords and Overrun.

Is it possible / viable to have an alternate rout of damage? Since the deck generates a lot of mana quickly, fireball effects might help seal the deal. Instead of deep shadows, messengers and weird harvest, skyshroud elves and Urza's Rage...? :)

As for the Burn deck, my only recommendation is to revise the Grim Lavamancer + Barbarian Ring package.
    I tryed this back in 2002 extended sligh and it doesn't synergise well...

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Oh man, Elves are fun! Definitely recommend it. Adding a Pendelhaven's a good idea - I was focused on fetchable lands to thin the deck for Messenger, but I think 1-of's correct. As for cutting a Cradle - I'd considered your suggestion of the Wish as well but the only card I'd want to remove would be the 1-of Harvest, so 2 Wish's doesn't seem worth it to me to base more of the sideboard around them. The other thing is, you want to keep most of your cards non-spells because of Messenger, which you definitely don't cut. It's so good with Symbiote. There's lots of room for improvement though, try tinkering and let me know what you find out. And as for a different path for damage - I'd sooner look at a black source than going into a third colour. You want black for combo.

As for the Burn deck, I just put the Rings there are as pseudo uncounterable sources of 2 damage. I'm sure you're right about them though - it was a busy week and that was an old article, so I hadn't tested/revised the deck to the extent of others. On the bright side, the next deck I'm going to post shall have some more testing. It's a sweet Lands deck :)

Sorry, I forgot about the symbiote + messenger combo. Lots of value there... :D

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Hey, I know I mentioned posting the Lands deck I've been working on but I'm actually going to wait for a couple of cards to arrive and then bring it to a tournament so hoping to do a report. In the meantime, I posted WG Enchantress. Let me know what you guys think!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Hey guys,

I know it's been some time since my last post but been busy with holidays and what not. Posted a new deck today - Pox! Always been a fan of the deck, and the original card was just so cool. Let me know whatcha think.

Cheers.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Hey guys,

I know it's been a while since I posted in here, but I haven't stopped brewing decks and posting them on the site. I see people from all over have been checking in, and if anyone has any requests just send me a PM.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Teluin; 05-11-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Greetings Teluin,

I keep checking your blog from time to time, though i haven't played Ancient in a while (currently playing WB Warriors in Standard FNM's).

I would like to see your take on PT Junk and/or Finkula decks.

Best regards,

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Heya onehitpoint,

I just finished a WBG Nic Fit deck that I'm going to post in a week (I tend to post a deck every 2 weeks now since I've been busy). I can do a Junk deck at some point, but I try to add variety in the colours of the decks each week. Finkula could be neat though, and I can look into writing about one for sure.

Cheers.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

just posted Maze of Webs (among many other things since last post)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Sorry guys, dunno why the new post is in 2 different colours. Anyway, hope you all keep enjoying the content - have definitely seen an increase in traffic on the site.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Teluin, you should sig a link to your site so that we don't need to search for it but have it handy.
    Is there any chance to build CAL without LftL? I think that with proper amount of basic lands and Land Taxes, this might be doable. The other posibility how to feed Confinement is Squee, but it cannot be thrown into Sassault...

Thread Information