Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deck ideas - old frame only

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: Deck ideas - old frame only

Quote Originally Posted by onehitpoint View Post
    Good ideas Bed Decks Palyer

How could I forget about the Mirage fetchlands. They are perfect for this...

I feel that Krosan Verge is a bit on the slow side. Enters tapped and requires additional mana to fetch. The Mirage ones are imediately online on the second turn, just like the Elfhame Palaces, but help fuel the Terravores, Enforcers, and Library. :)
    Yep, Verge is probably too slow. I had one to search it by WWF and ramp post Geddon, but as it needs two more mana (say manadude and a land from hand?) it's too dependant on already fine game state. Its more of an EDH card.
    Elfhame Palace gives you both W or G, something that fetch->basic cannot do. Unless you plan to add Savannah (which might be out of ordinary people's budget), you might keep some amount of cheap wannabeduals. Idk, this depends on color requirments of deck.
    Also, consider the cycling lands, they're not super-duper ultra-trooper without Loam, yet they still offer some flexibility: they're either manasource, random topdeck or Not Exactly Giant Growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    Good call on the 'geddon deck. Going to write about it. Should be posting a couple more on the site in the next couple of days.
    Lovely!

edit: I just realized your edit...
    edit:
    What if we made the following changes, to help defend against early rushes, and improve the Call package...?

-1 Werebear
    -4 Jolrael's Centaur

+3 Wall Of Roots
    +1 Eladamri's Call
    +1 Masticore

Isn't Triskelion slow at 6 cmc..?
    I wouldn't cut Werebear, you got no other creature that's both manadude and goyf-like beater: at cmc2 it's both acceleration and also fine pre-Geddon play that may become a huge threat as soon as turn3.
    Wall of Roots is fine card to stop the early rushes. If you'd play the three of them, you should be fine with one less Werebear. Thing is that walls are really bad at closing the games, which is why bear might be better. But you got Call to find some finisher.
    Masticore is fine, even as a one-of its not that hard to find one with Call. Otoh, it might need some CA tool, even anything as dirty as Land Tax or Weathered Wayfarer. You play none such an engine, so my thoughts were on Triskelion. There's nice interaction between Serrated Biskelion and Quirion Ranger, when you might distribute one (or more, depending on how many QR do you have) -1/-1 counters than otherwise possible, but this is more appropriate for a Mirage-block pile or Stupid Green Deck.
    I'm not even trying to sound pompous, but I still think that my version of GW Creaturegeddon is the best, at least speaking of casual setting, where there's little to no need to a) fight combo, b) fight graveyard hate, c) fight blue control and d) play Wastelands. I even went a bit further with cipt lands and play simply the sets of cycling lands. I don't really care of a turn1-2 plays, I may simply wait a turn or so with my BoPs, WWFs and bear, if that means that I lose no life to Brushland and I have bit more cycling lands to feed the gy and Vore. also, there's something about the playsets-only structure that makes me happy, and the fact that there's a minitheme of creature protection makes me bit more calm about my chances for win.
    The list for reference once again:

4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Weathered Wayfarer
    4 Werebear
    4 Terravore
    3 Mystic Enforcer
    3 Exalted Angel
    2 Masticore

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Reprisal
    3 Armageddon
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Armadillo Cloak
    1 Aura Shards

4 Savannah
    3 Forest
    3 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Secluded Steppe
    4 Tranquil Thicket

It's definitely visible this one is about consistency. Eladamri's Call fueled deck (or even some Survival based GW) might use some more specific targets (without the need to become unreliable pile of nonsense or some EDH-like monstrosity), maybe even centered around the whle Creatures-and-LD tactic with cards like Benalish Emissary, Cartographerand fetches plus Waste/Strip/Bowl, etc.
    But maybe it's too far stretching, and the simple plan of lay down a dude, geddon the lands is enough to win.
    Of course, this all depends on what is allowed both B&R-wise and locally... which is in fact the same, as Ancient, Contramodern, Retro Magic, however you call it, is a casual format without any central committee.
    Last edited by Bed Decks Palyer; 11-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.

I agree, your version seems more robust.

I noticed that the list on the first post lacks the Rock and PT Junk decks. Those were popular back then in Extended.

Concerning white weenie decks for the project...

"WHITE" WEENIE, TAX RACK

3x Mother of Runes
    3x Silver Knight
    2x White Knight
    3x Soltari Priest
    2x Soltari Monk
    2x Spectral Lynx
    3x Phyrexian War Beast

4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Fire // Ice
    3x Vindicate
    2x Firestorm

3x Empyrial Armor
    4x Land Tax
    3x Scroll Rack
    4x Mox Diamond

10x Plains
    2x Undiscovered Paradise
    4x City of Brass

More versatile that a straight up pure white aggro build. The multicolor theme also allows us to easily implement Duress, Meddling Mage, Gerrard's Verdict, Armadillo Cloak, ...

True Believer might have potential as well.

Phyrexian War Beast or Exalted Angel...?

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Phyrexian War Beast is to dangerous, imho. It's nearly unplayable without MoR and contrary to say Phyrexian Negator - a similarly dangerous creature with cmc3 and high stats -, it's not fast enough to warrant its inclusion even against combo. I'd try the Angels or maybe even True Believer, Glowrider or Paladin en-Vec.
    Also: with 4x Land Tax and several red spells, I'd definitely play one Mountain. Arabian Nights, preferably...

I see you're looking to make friends at the gaming table... :)

Just curious, why Eureka instead of Sneak Attack, which is reusable?

Nonetheless, I like the idea... Since we're going green, you could also try Worldly Tutor in there.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I see you're looking to make friends at the gaming table... :)

Just curious, why Eureka instead of Sneak Attack, which is reusable?

Nonetheless, I like the idea... Since we're going green, you could also try Worldly Tutor in there.
    Eureka lets ou put several things into play and works well with ESG. Instead of 7 dmg with VErdant Force, you'll get VF, Akroma, Nishoba and Petradon. Sounds good. Really good... :-)
    Shame that it doesn't work well, there are too few permanents for massive Eureka, and too few cantrips to find Eureka in time... unsolvable issue, right?

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I wouldn't cut Werebear, you got no other creature that's both manadude and goyf-like beater...
    Werebear isn't Goyflike. Before Goyf was Goyf Werebear was Goyf and people didn't even know that Goyf was a thing. Goyf doesn't even have second amendment rights unless you're playing Stoneblade. Back then Werebear was better than Goyf because Goyf cost 4 mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    Werebear isn't Goyflike. Before Goyf was Goyf Werebear was Goyf and people didn't even know that Goyf was a thing. Goyf doesn't even have second amendment rights unless you're playing Stoneblade. Back then Werebear was better than Goyf because Goyf cost 4 mana.
    Umm... I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but know that I know what Werebear meant in sub2007 Legacy.

Yes, it was heavily played around 2002 in the Extended format.

Miracle Grow / Super Grow used it alongside Meddling Mage, Quirion Dryad and Mystic Enforcer...

Potential 4/4 for 2 mana was quite good, not unlike the modern Tarmogoyf which is usually a 4/5 or 5/6.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Alright guys, just wrote a bit about the WG land destruction deck you were talking about. I made a couple of minor changes, but overall I think it's pretty cool. Let me know what you think.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Alright guys, just wrote a bit about the WG land destruction deck you were talking about. I made a couple of minor changes, but overall I think it's pretty cool. Let me know what you think.
    Good job!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Good job!
    Thanks. I've got a couple more written already but I figured we had talked about that GW deck so would try it out. Right now am working on a Storm deck but am shying away from the Iggy Pop type gaveyard brews - instead, I'm focusing on card draw and Burning Wish tutor package. I've considered Diminishing Returns, Infernal Contract and even Meditate so far but the latter 2 seems pretty expensive mana-wise for 4 cards. Any recommendations? Grim Tutor could also be mainboarded, but with all the card draw and 4 Wishes it doesn't seem as necessary.
    Last edited by Teluin; 11-19-2014 at 09:33 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Thanks. I've got a couple more written already but I figured we had talked about this GW so would try it out. Right now am working on a Storm deck but am shying away from the Iggy Pop type gaveyard brews - instead, I'm focusing on card draw and Burning Wish tutor package. I've considered Diminishing Returns, Infernal Contract and even Meditate so far but the latter 2 seems pretty expensive mana-wise for 4 cards. Any recommendations? Grim Tutor could also be mainboarded, but with all the card draw and 4 Wishes it doesn't seem as necessary.
    It all depends on the banned list. Is there any room for Time Spiral? Then again it's quite expensive and not exactly good without High Tide.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I could probably fit it in but am not a fan of the UU in the casting cost since this is a tri-colour deck with a focus on B. At least with Diminishing Returns you get your GY back which can be great with LED and Petals. I had been considering Necrologia too but the CC is pretty high for a card that doesn't let you go for the win the turn you cast it.
    Last edited by Teluin; 11-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Lim-Dûl's Vault to dig for what you need...?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Lim-Dûl's Vault to dig for what you need...?
    I'd considered that but without drawing a card I'm not a fan. I decided to try out 2 Diminishing Return in the MB with 1 in the SB and it's been amazing. It can win consistently on T3-4. Going to be writing about it next.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Alright, added the Storm article. I've noticed my entries have been getting longer. Do you guys prefer this or should I try to keep them short and sweet? Also, the deck was super fun to play. If you enjoy playing Storm, try it out.

Love it :)

Longer blog entries provide context and general strategy for the deck. I prefer it like this. Thumbs up...

I noticed you have 5x copies of Cabal Therapy between main and sideboard ;)

Why Opt instead of Sleight of Hand...?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Love it :)

Longer blog entries provide context and general strategy for the deck. I prefer it like this. Thumbs up...

I noticed you have 5x copies of Cabal Therapy between main and sideboard ;)

Why Opt instead of Sleight of Hand...?
    Thanks. I'm trying to add a bit of history to each deck before explaining the general strategy and card choices. Glad you guys enjoy them.

Haha good catch on the Cabal Therapy. I had originally put 1 in the sideboard as a Wish target before moving things around. As for Opt over Sleight of Hand - my focus was on the instant speed. Because Opt can be done at the end of your opponent's turn, it means you can leave U open to either Opt or Brainstorm in response to an opponent's Duress. I've thought about it though and Sleight of Hand is probably the better choice in general, so I'm going to exchange them for the 4 Opt and leave the 1 Cabal Therapy in the sideboard to be tutored. Thanks!
    Last edited by Teluin; 11-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

New deck posted. Any requests?

Thread Information