Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Daretti Goblin Welder (Da-Welder)

Oct 2011
    Ann Arbor MI

Re: Daretti Goblin Welder (Da-Welder)

I would really suggest some sort of sweeper in the board. Elves and young pyromancer and even DnT can drop a lot of permanents that you need to clear. I'm trying slice and dice ATM and like it so far, but you can't go wrong with pyroclasm. Needle in the board is iffy IMO because you run into chalice problems with it. I also think you may have a problem casting your battlesphere, 7 is a fair amount of mana. These are just all my suggestions though. Let us know how it goes. I'm going to try ruination in my board tonight. I miss Armageddon but don't want to splash for it, so I'm going to see how it does as a replacement
    “Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.”
    -Sun Tzu
    “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    -Sun Tzu

Decks I Play
    EDH
    Blind Seer color control
    Legacy
    Mono-White Stax/ Armageddon Stax
    Red/White Goblin Welder Stax
    Mono-U Omniscience
    MUD

I know that there's a decent amount of life loss because of Ancient Tomb, but would Eidolon of the Great Revel be a decent SB card for all of the UR/x decks out there? Most of the cards that are cast are three and above.

Oct 2011
    Ann Arbor MI

Their life points don't matter against you and it just gets bolted. I don't think its that good.
    “Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.”
    -Sun Tzu
    “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    -Sun Tzu

Decks I Play
    EDH
    Blind Seer color control
    Legacy
    Mono-White Stax/ Armageddon Stax
    Red/White Goblin Welder Stax
    Mono-U Omniscience
    MUD

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I guess this is a necro now, but I took first at a small local event with this list:

Daretti Stax

4 Plateau
    4 Wasteland
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Great Furnace

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Daretti, Scrap Savant
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Smokestack
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Punishing Fire
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Scuttling Doom Engine

Sideboard:

4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Armageddon
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod’s Crypt

Beat Affinity in 2, BURG Delver in 3 after punting game 2, and Burn in 3 after mulling to oblivion game one. The deck felt very strong and quite consistent for a Chalice-based deck. I played the Doom Engine because I do not own a Mindslaver, and it provided an exceptionally fast clock combined with all the Welder and Smokestack shenanigans.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

I really like the concept, huge fan of prison type decks and I think Daretti has a lot of play to him, very versatile.

Have you had a chance to play against Miracles or something similar? One of my concerns with a list like this is that if you are unable to close a game out quickly, the mana punishment just doesn't do much.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe sudden demise in the board for elves/DnT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Maybe sudden demise in the board for elves/DnT?
    Pyroclasm is probably fine honestly. I prefer Ratchet Bomb because it gives us outs to random hate permanents like Rest in Peace as well as creatures (also there's no Elves in my meta).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckusmh View Post
    I really like the concept, huge fan of prison type decks and I think Daretti has a lot of play to him, very versatile.

Have you had a chance to play against Miracles or something similar? One of my concerns with a list like this is that if you are unable to close a game out quickly, the mana punishment just doesn't do much.
    Not yet. I've played against Miracles with plenty of other Stax decks though, and the matchup is usually at least a little favorable (a blowout in the case of Braids-based Stax) for Stax. In this deck, you bring in some combo of O-Ring, Ratchet, and Armageddon.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Has Wildfire been discussed? Is a land destruction and sweeper in one card, though it costs 6.
    Ignorance is strength

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Wildfire sounds great but the issue is once you decrease your artifact density, the value of Daretti and Welder goes down.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Wildfire sounds great but the issue is once you decrease your artifact density, the value of Daretti and Welder goes down.
    Wildfire also costs 6, which is way more than you want to spend casting a non-artifact card in this deck. At least expensive artifacts can be discarded and then welded back in.
    Lord of the Chalice

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Wildfire also costs 6, which is way more than you want to spend casting a non-artifact card in this deck. At least expensive artifacts can be discarded and then welded back in.
    You're list reminds me of the original Stephen Menendian Stax deck. You basically replaced Grafted Skullcap with Daretti and Powder Kegs with Punishing Fire. I love it.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

May 2011
    Canada

Just posting a deck to keep the thread going.

This is very different then what has been posted here so far, but this is my current build for a Welder/Daretti deck.

Note: I was running Faithless Looting/Kuldotha Forgemaster package over Chalice/Trinisphere but the combo match up was to weak.

//Artifact (21)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Coercive Portal
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Lightning Greaves
    3 Staff of Domination
    2 Trading Post
    3 Trinisphere

//Artifact Creature (10)
    4 Metalworker
    2 Sundering Titan
    2 Triskelion
    2 Wurmcoil Engine

//Planeswalker (3)
    3 Daretti, Scrap Savant

//Creature (4)
    4 Goblin Welder

//Land (22)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain

SB: 1 Banefire
    SB: 2 Chaos Warp
    SB: 2 Razormane Masticore
    SB: 3 Sudden Demise
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Whipflare
    SB: 2 Witchbane Orb

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    You're list reminds me of the original Stephen Menendian Stax deck. You basically replaced Grafted Skullcap with Daretti and Powder Kegs with Punishing Fire. I love it.
    Thanks. It was kind of an amalgamation of several different lists I found while digging through this thread, so I can't really take full credit for it lol. I basically gutted the sideboard though, Leyline is too good not to play. A buddy of mine is interested in developing an R/G version (since we're already playing 4 Grove, green makes a lot of sense as a splash) so it'll be interesting to see where that goes. What I have realized lately is that you can add basically any splash color or engine to the basic Stax shell (which goes all the way back to Menedian).
    Lord of the Chalice

Aug 2010
    Belgium

I'm also interested in developping an R/G stax shell. Are there any good green stax cards?

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Well, I tried out a mono-red version of this deck and took second in a small local event. I lost to Miracles after misplaying in turns game 3, beat R/G Lands, and then beat another Miracles player. Here is the list:

Daretti Stax (mono-red)

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Smokestack
    1 Mindslaver
    4 Punishing Fire
    4 Daretti, Scrap Savant

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Mountain

Sideboard

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Trinisphere

The deck performed well although I mulliganned a lot as expected. I probably could have beat or at least drawn with the first Miracles player if I had mulliganned and played better. Sideboard is primarily for BUG and Show and Tell decks, although Revoker and Bomb are useful against a lot of things.
    Lord of the Chalice

Well, I tried out a mono-red version of this deck and took second in a small local event. I lost to Miracles after misplaying in turns game 3, beat R/G Lands, and then beat another Miracles player. Here is the list:

Daretti Stax (mono-red)
    Nothing constructive to add, but thanks for posting these lists. I was feeling stuck and disappointed with my own mono-red list. Your R/w list gave me a reason to pick up that fourth Plateau and I've been enjoying playing it.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Nothing constructive to add, but thanks for posting these lists. I was feeling stuck and disappointed with my own mono-red list. Your R/w list gave me a reason to pick up that fourth Plateau and I've been enjoying playing it.
    Awesome, glad to know that somebody is playing it as it's a fun deck lol.
    Lord of the Chalice

bruizar

Daretti Stax (mono-red)
    How fast were you able to close games, or did they just give up on you? I was really struggling trying to close games with my Daretti lists and kept going to time. If all games were played out I would have won all the matchups the tournaments i played in, but not in the 50 minutes..

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Had any body tried Daretti with Loam?

I feel like it's worth noting that with artifact lands, dredging and Mindslaver, you can slaver lock them pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Thread Information