Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Daretti Goblin Welder (Da-Welder)

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: Daretti Goblin Welder (Da-Welder)

Super mega-necro.

With Nahiri getting in the picture plus some new nice tricks for the deck, i've returned to it and brewed a bit.

Walkers
    4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    3 Daretti, Scrap Savant

Creatures
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Sundering Titan

Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Boros Signet
    2 Batterskull
    2 Azorius Signet
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Boros Garrison
    4 Plateau
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Arid Mesa

Sideboard:
    2 Sudden Demise
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

I really want to test hangarback walker in this too.

Nahiri and Daretti give you redundant discard, and Nahiri act as removal while Daretti take out monsters from your graveyard. Signets act as fixers and artifacts for Daretti, plus make blood moon not an issue. Wasteland on the other hand is a very real issue sadly.

Myr Battlesphere is 12 damage off Nahiri with haste, and leave 4 1/1 Myrs down after it bounce to your hand. It's the best non-stupidly huge monster i can think of. It's an artifact so it has additional utility with Daretti, it cost 7 so it's castable normally, and leave bodies behind off nahiri's ultimate. Sundering Titan is the other tutorable big dude, essentially a one-sided armageddon. Nahiri is the real deal, she ramp fast on empty boards and remove threats on clumped boards.

White minions may look awkward, but they're not really much so. You almost always get the mana for them. Test it. Caverns can be renamed with karoos, and Traitors don't sac on karoo bounce. Thalia + Chalice + 2 Thorns make combo MU acceptable. Thalia is pretty good with all the equips.

Karoos make nahiri easy to cast, as long as they don't get wasted . In which case, you have signets. If you don't, well, game is hard. If i could, i'd play 5 or 6 Boros Signet, but we can't! Coldsteel heart or a talisman are the closest things, but they are nowhere as good with Nahiri.
    You lose against wasteland like many other fun decks sadly.

add 1 Emrakul or Blightsteel Colossus for Nahiri's ultimate.

Else it doesn't really make sense. Dack Fayden is much better for simple looting

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    add 1 Emrakul or Blightsteel Colossus for Nahiri's ultimate.

Else it doesn't really make sense. Dack Fayden is much better for simple looting
    Fayden do nothing but loot, nahiri loot, remove threats (and moats) and ultimate into a one sided geddon in three turns (or simply deal 12, whichever win you the game more). Nahiri is really good, Fayden not so much in this format (unlike vintage)
    Last edited by Gheizen64; 03-28-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Super mega-necro.

With Nahiri getting in the picture plus some new nice tricks for the deck, i've returned to it and brewed a bit.

Walkers
    4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    3 Daretti, Scrap Savant

Creatures
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Sundering Titan

Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Boros Signet
    2 Batterskull
    2 Azorius Signet
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Boros Garrison
    4 Plateau
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Arid Mesa

Sideboard:
    2 Sudden Demise
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

I really want to test hangarback walker in this too.

Nahiri and Daretti give you redundant discard, and Nahiri act as removal while Daretti take out monsters from your graveyard. Signets act as fixers and artifacts for Daretti, plus make blood moon not an issue. Wasteland on the other hand is a very real issue sadly.

Myr Battlesphere is 12 damage off Nahiri with haste, and leave 4 1/1 Myrs down after it bounce to your hand. It's the best non-stupidly huge monster i can think of. It's an artifact so it has additional utility with Daretti, it cost 7 so it's castable normally, and leave bodies behind off nahiri's ultimate. Sundering Titan is the other tutorable big dude, essentially a one-sided armageddon. Nahiri is the real deal, she ramp fast on empty boards and remove threats on clumped boards.

White minions may look awkward, but they're not really much so. You almost always get the mana for them. Test it. Caverns can be renamed with karoos, and Traitors don't sac on karoo bounce. Thalia + Chalice + 2 Thorns make combo MU acceptable. Thalia is pretty good with all the equips.

Karoos make nahiri easy to cast, as long as they don't get wasted . In which case, you have signets. If you don't, well, game is hard. If i could, i'd play 5 or 6 Boros Signet, but we can't! Coldsteel heart or a talisman are the closest things, but they are nowhere as good with Nahiri.
    You lose against wasteland like many other fun decks sadly.
    I have been trying out various cards in a Daretti Stax shell lately. Including splashes. In my experience, it has not been necessary to go as deep as running Karoo lands to support the splash. For a heavier splash, along the lines of what you're proposing here, last week I tried:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mountains
    2 splash basics
    2 dual lands
    4 on-color fetches
    2 red fetches
    2 mana disurption lands
    4 Mox Diamond

This was plenty to support a splash that asked for double-off-color costs. And I did not have to sweat getting hit by Wasteland myself.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I've tested this list, but unfortunately I wasn't as impressed as I hoped.

I've played against Sneak and Show and some kind of Storm Reanimator. Both decks won easily against me.
    I've also played against Esper Stoneblade, which was more even. I've won one game :-).
    Lastly two games against a janky GR Burn deck (with Browbeat!). I lost one and won the other only because I luckily drew the Wurmcoil Engine.

Some conclusions:
    * there are way to many -1/-1 effects (7). They are cute, but they just don't do enough.
    * I never proliferated. Not even with Tangle Wire. Seems like your deck is built around counters/proliferate, but I am not sure if it's really worth it.
    * Loam feels suboptimal. There are neither cycle lands nor Wasteland and returning fetchlands isn't that powerful. Dredge is only good with Daretti, but not really needed I think (because you are in a comfortable position anyway).
    * I've always discarded Choke to Daretti, because the time I could play it, I'd rather wanted to deal with the (creature) board instead of their islands.

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Winter Orb has had its oracle text changed so it's back into a continuous artifact. In combination with Aether Grid, this gives you a way to one-sidedly murder your opponent's everything. Here's an example decklist I put together in 30 minutes.

3 Hangarback Walker
    4 Lodestone Golem

4 Punishing Fire
    4 Ghirapur Aether Grid
    4 Daretti, Scrap Savant

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Winter Orb

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Mountain
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Taiga
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Duplicant
    1 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Sudden Demise
    3 Tormod's Crypt

Wurmcoil seems problematic when you have Winter Orb, so I opted for a variable cost Hangerback. Punishing Fire and Aether Grid may be overkill, but the interaction between Daretti and Punishing Fire is very good. Upkeep waste your untapped land sounds pretty dirty, too, so I added a Crucible package and cut the Welders. Again, I may be totally wrong.

Mar 2013
    Aalborg, Denmark

Maybe ports

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

So I ran a white stax the other night and really surprised people.
    Felt really good to always have two mana on turn one.

So here's what I'm gonna try next week:

Walker
    3 Daretti, Scrap Savant

Spells
    4 Punishing Fire
    3 Armageddon

Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Smokestack
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Trading Post
    1 Sundial of the Infinite
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Wasteland
    4 Plateau
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 The Tabernacle at the Pendrell Vale
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Karakas
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Flagstones of Trokair

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Rest in Peace
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Helmo of Obedience

EDIT: went 3-1 and split for first

OmniShow, Grixis Control, Tribal Cleric Infinite life gain? and burn.
    Lost to the Grixis Control player: True-Name means a quick loss after opponent thoughtseized the bridge from my hand.

Deck still needs 2 or 3 oblivion rings for hard to handle permanents.

3 Daretti was too many. Almost every game was a grind and tiny incremental advantage was key, even one mana might mean a win or a loss.
    The OminShow player had me dead on board but I drew an Ancient Tomb and was able to play Ensnaring Bridge. Won that match 'cause I topdecked a land.
    The first turn sphere of resistance slowed him down just enough. However, the one game I got Daretti in play, I won.

Still very impressed that I almost always had 2 mana on turn 1.
    Last edited by non-inflammable; 09-04-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Thread Information