Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Understanding Legacy Post Khans

[Article]Eternal Europe: Understanding Legacy Post Khans

My observations concerning the results of Eternal Weekend and the latest SCG Open (sorry for the delay this week, but for some reason there weren't decklists available for everything before Monday ;) )

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ost-Khans.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Understanding Legacy Post Khans

As usual, the best legacy content all week . <3

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I need a script that renames things so I can tell wtf they actually are ;__;
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Yeah, this Temur shit needs to stop

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HammerAndSickled View Post
    Yeah, this Temur shit needs to stop
    Not a fan of the nomenclature either (assuming that's what you're talking about), but that's just going to continue because it's really Wizards pushing that narrative.

Anyway, good stuff. I can't wait until you talk about the implications of Commander 2014 cards.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

It's not Wizards, it's SCG. Given that I haven't met a single human being who prefers the new names to the color pairs abbreviated, I think we should just abolish Jund, Esper, and friends into the realm of player slang and let "official" sources name decks after their colors and strategy. In the same way we in legacy have names like Canadian Thresh and Tin Fins, but the general populace should be able to read those deck lists as RUG Delver and Reanimator Storm.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I read a good portion of Carsten's article and realized that I can't understand wtf he is talking about. I came here to complain and realized I am nowhere near alone. SCG is pissing me off with their editing policy. And google translate isn't helping at all. I am going to return and try to make heads and tails of Carsten's foreign content.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I need a script that renames things so I can tell wtf they actually are ;__;
    There are enough nerds playing this game, there will be a chrome extension available before you know it.

Also TinFins is clearly an acceptable name, and I do not have double standards. Except when I do.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Can anyone seriously complain about deck diversity when there's at least six different flavors of Delver to choose from?

You have Snowy White, with the big beats brought by Stoneforge Mystic; Lightning Red, with super fast aggro rush of Pyromancer in pure UR; Swamp Black, with all the sneakiness of "Sultai"; the list goes on.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    Can anyone seriously complain about deck diversity when there's at least six different flavors of Delver to choose from?
    Diversity comes in multiple forms, and while different deck lists is one of those forms, it is also the weakest one.

What counts is diversity in play styles/strategies, if there are 6 decks that all follow the same basic strategy with slight variance in exactly how they go about it, that is diversity of decks, but not diversity of strategy. a top 8 with 6 flavours of delver is not very diverse, and top 8 with Elves, D&T, Storm, Sneak & Show, Reanimator, and Delver is diverse.

Oct 2012
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    There are enough nerds playing this game, there will be a chrome extension available before you know it.
    There you go: http://tinyurl.com/q5n98mt
    It's a simple Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script that replaces the clan names with "ClanName (Colors)". You can edit the source code of the script to have it just show the colors, just remove ClanName ( ). The "" have to stay.
    If you encounter bugs/... let me know.

/Edit: It seems to break Java Script, will look into that next week.
    Last edited by dune2k; 11-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Legacy-Decks: UBrg ANT/TNT ~ RUG Canadian Threshold ~ Mono U OmniTell ~ U Candleless Spiral Tide ~ RG 1 Land Belcher ~ UBRGW Quadlaser Dredge

bruizar

It's still a stupid naming convention.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    Can anyone seriously complain about deck diversity when...
    Yes. You must be new to Legacy, we complain about EVERYTHING. We complain about banning Brainstorm, we complain about NOT banning it, we complain when Delver does well, we complain when Europeans say Delver shouldn't do well.

As for the Article, I like that CK seems to be on the 'everyone is overreacting' side of the page. Oakland: 2 Delver decks in a T8 featuring Goblins (WTF!LOLZ?) Lands, ANT, and which was won by Dredge. There were 2 more Dredge lists and a TinFins in the T16. In recent weeks we've seen Slivers, Punishing Maverick and Tezz do well.

If you want to play Delver, great! Have fun! Draw some cards with Cruise! The deck is good enough to compete. However, don't be surprised if you get absolutely run over by something that you cannot interact with. Forked Bolts are great at killing your opponents faces, but they are very, very bad at stopping a Maze of Ith or an Emrakul or Tendrils, and killing your own creatures to beat Bridges is a bad way to actually kill your opponent :p
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

bruizar

Lack of Mongoose and Tarmogoyf puts Sudden Shock and Volcanic Fallout on the rise

Thread Information