Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

it seems as though u want to play a green prison Land destruction deck. If your goal is to attrition opponent with land destruction (wasteland / ghost quarter) You need to have cards to remove whatever they play in the turns that you are setting up. This is the common reason why land destruction strategies ALWAYS fail. There isnt enough space in the deck to provide enough LD for it to be consistent, a win condition(since land destruction isnt a win condition in itself), AND sufficient removal.

I dont know the best way to achieve that, BUT i would recommend that centaur because he seems OP in long grindy matches AND some sort of planeswalker to further your cause. definitely run 1x maze of ith, its searchable with KOTR and great at dealing with 1x creature / batterskull untill you can get a grasp on the game. Also, Dark depths / stage (as 1x) seems like a perfect fit in here as you will be able to search them with kotr and recur them with your theme. No need to worry about swords because of the recursion.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    @Barooks List:
    i will try to find some time to test it, i see some potential but as others already mentioned some games might be work awesome and some you topdeck an army off usless "non beater" creatures, moxen and living wish for non land will only shine if you get the ramp work or you end up to waste 2 turns etc. With the amount of colorless lands TKS should be main as a solid disruption peace and even Walking Ballista is really good with mana ramp and can quickly be a >2:1 card.
    I don't know why people are critizing the consistency of the deck, out of all things, while posting in a Sylvan Plug thread.

From my point of view, Sylvan Plug is the inconsistent one, hence trying a different approach to get a more stable, consistent version of Stompy. It does have more tutors (Living Wish) and draw in form of of Tracker. Maybe even Horizon Canopy/Excavator for even more draw.

As I mentioned before, TKS and Walking Ballista could be great additions since they do double duty (very important in a deck with such tight deckspace), but I want to get the core right before branching out to solve the remaing problems. There's no point on building on a shaky foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    it seems as though u want to play a green prison Land destruction deck. If your goal is to attrition opponent with land destruction (wasteland / ghost quarter) You need to have cards to remove whatever they play in the turns that you are setting up. This is the common reason why land destruction strategies ALWAYS fail. There isnt enough space in the deck to provide enough LD for it to be consistent, a win condition(since land destruction isnt a win condition in itself), AND sufficient removal.

I dont know the best way to achieve that, BUT i would recommend that centaur because he seems OP in long grindy matches AND some sort of planeswalker to further your cause. definitely run 1x maze of ith, its searchable with KOTR and great at dealing with 1x creature / batterskull untill you can get a grasp on the game. Also, Dark depths / stage (as 1x) seems like a perfect fit in here as you will be able to search them with kotr and recur them with your theme. No need to worry about swords because of the recursion.
    I'm not a fan of adding too many 1-of solution lands which I can fetch a single KotR. It's extremely slow and tutoring for the tutor that tutors for an answer the next turn is exactly what I described above why I'm not a fan of Sylvan Plug's consistency. Karakas at least taps for white.

I think the best way to achieve what you described are very synergestic cards that do other things aside from beating. D&T is a pile of hot garbage, yet it manages to be a top tier deck due to synergy.

Though-Knot Seer and Walking Ballista fit the bill. Garruk Relentless is also on my "to-watch" list - not only can he kill opposing creatures like DRS, the grind potential with tokens is real and he can also tutor in a pinch once flipped. Centaur might be good (trampling over TNN is quite relevant), but he's "only" a recursive beater. Although I might be wrong because I haven't played with it yet and the land recursion of this deck could make it insane.

@Barook

I don't know if you were aware, but i made a thread specifically for this deck called "Two Green" in the New and Development forum, seemed too different from Sylvan Plug to productively include in the same thread.

I think you should splash either White or Black, and run 4x either StP or Push with that. (I know you have Chalice@1, so if you wanted to run some 2 mana removal instead.. well, both colors have that as well).

If you want lifegain, either Obstinate Baloth or Thragtusk are the way to go with the colors you have. Baloth is a little harder to hardcast, but has built in protection for your deck from things like Liliana of the Veil, and is easier to GSZ for (mox + city + tomb).

Re: Living Wish, I like it here a lot, but I'd limit your targets to 2-3 duplicates of stuff in deck, and another 3-5 one-ofs. It's easy to get carried away with options, but you need to conserve that sideboard space, and honestly, whatever you're tutoring for will be the same 3ish cards 90% of the time anyway.

If you're running the black splash, then Shriekmaw definitely deserves a place.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

@apple713: Tabernacle might actually do a nice clean-up once you're done with attacking their mana.

I'll continue to work on the deck in this thread.

bruizar

This is my latest update on my enchanted plug

3x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Riptide Chimera
    3x Courser of Kruphix
    2x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    1x Reclamation Sage
    3x Sylvan Library
    4x Trial of Ambition
    1x Trial of Strength
    2x Cartouche of Ambition
    1x Oath of Nissa
    3x Green Sun’s Zenith
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Abrupt Decay
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Scavenger Grounds
    1x Grasping Dunes
    3x Wasteland
    2x Forest
    1x Island
    1x Swamp
    2x Misty Rainforest
    3x Polluted Delta
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Bayou
    1x Tropical Island

SIDEBOARD
    1x Arcane Laboratory
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Chill
    1x Carpet of Flowers
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Null Rod
    2x Engineered Plague
    1x Glissa, the Traitor
    2x Divert

And when Ixilan is released, I'd like some room for 4x Sorcerous Spyglass in the 75.

As you can see, it's very soft to combo without trinispheres and chokes; i want to see how well the deck does without those. The deck is geared especially towards creature heavy matchups. Still unsure about the 2 deserts, but I want to test those a bit more.

Nov 2011
    Krems an der Donau, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This is my latest update on my enchanted plug

3x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Riptide Chimera
    3x Courser of Kruphix
    2x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    1x Reclamation Sage
    3x Sylvan Library
    4x Trial of Ambition
    1x Trial of Strength
    2x Cartouche of Ambition
    1x Oath of Nissa
    3x Green Sun’s Zenith
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Abrupt Decay
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Scavenger Grounds
    1x Grasping Dunes
    3x Wasteland
    2x Forest
    1x Island
    1x Swamp
    2x Misty Rainforest
    3x Polluted Delta
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Bayou
    1x Tropical Island

SIDEBOARD
    1x Arcane Laboratory
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Chill
    1x Carpet of Flowers
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Null Rod
    2x Engineered Plague
    1x Glissa, the Traitor
    2x Divert

And when Ixilan is released, I'd like some room for 4x Sorcerous Spyglass in the 75.

As you can see, it's very soft to combo without trinispheres and chokes; i want to see how well the deck does without those. The deck is geared especially towards creature heavy matchups. Still unsure about the 2 deserts, but I want to test those a bit more.
    Heey!! I REALLY love this deck idea! I also experiment with enchantment deck. The Trial of Ambition + Riptide Chimera is very nice.
    I copyed and pasted into my decklists, and I will also work on this :)

But I think the Maindeck is a little weak against Combo Decks. I think a Discard Spell which fits into the Deckplan could be an idea.
    Maybe In the eye of Chaos?? Or Brain Maggot

And how Demonic Pact works with Riptide Chimera? Can I return it in respone of loosing the game?
    I cutted the Brainstorms and have now a little more against combo. I am not sure if this is the right way, but I hope I can give you some ideas.

4 Riptide Chimera
    4 Trial of Ambition
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Cartouche of Ambition
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Trial of Strength
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Cartouche of Knowledge
    3 Brain Maggot
    1 Argothian Enchantress
    2 In the Eye of Chaos
    3 Wasteland
    2 Grasping Dunes
    1 Island
    2 Forest
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Heey!! I REALLY love this deck idea! I also experiment with enchantment deck. The Trial of Ambition + Riptide Chimera is very nice.
    I copyed and pasted into my decklists, and I will also work on this :)

But I think the Maindeck is a little weak against Combo Decks. I think a Discard Spell which fits into the Deckplan could be an idea.
    Maybe In the eye of Chaos?? Or Brain Maggot

And how Demonic Pact works with Riptide Chimera? Can I return it in respone of loosing the game?
    I cutted the Brainstorms and have now a little more against combo. I am not sure if this is the right way, but I hope I can give you some ideas.
    Thanks.

1 Cartouche of Knowledge - I don't think you run enough relevant creatures to play this. Cartouche of Ambition is nice because it gives you lifelink which you can trade for cards with sylvan library, and it's another removal card

3 Brain Maggot - I like this card. I looked at it as well but decided not to go for this one, because it isn't green, but now that you mention it, it is probably a good inclusion since argothian enchantress really reduces the cost of keeping them in the 75. It's also kind of nice that you can just play it immediately and don't have to wait for relevant targets as it is easy to reset with riptide chimera. I first had some point discard but brain maggot synergizes rather well with the deck.

2 In the Eye of Chaos - Not entirely sure what to think of this card yet. This plus leovold is quiet a punishment against blue decks.

2 Grasping Dunes - The second grasping dunes is probably a good inclusion too. It's nice to be able to pick off creatures (delver and young pyromancer) so that the edict effects hit the right targets (e.g. gurmag angler). Ramunap Excavator does wonders for the playability of the card. If you look at standard right now you'd be amazed at how effective the desert lands are. I could even see playing some other desert lands, but that might not be for this deck. Deserts seem really underrated in legacy and modern.

Demonic Pact - The Riptide Chimera and the Demonic Pact trigger will go on the stack, but you can choose the order by which they go there. It is a rather brutal card but if they happen to kill off your Riptide Chimera with the lose the game mode as the last remaining mode, you basically suicided so I wouldn't try to get the maximum value out of it if you would choose to play this. I think it's a little bit dangerous and would rather just play second chance with sylvan library (pay 8 life for 2 cards to reduce yourself from 13 to 5, and then take all the turns)

Brainstorm - The thing about brainstorm is that it's half a mulligan for U. That's just so incredibly good... I realize the combo matchup is sylvan plug's easy matchup with trinispheres and chokes, and that this build kind of turns it into a horrid matchup.

No Azusa - I think dedicating 1 slot to azusa for the azusa excavator combo could help you win games by being able to Grasping Dunes even the bigger creatures to a pulp very quickly. perhaps it is overkill, since without excavator azusa is kind of bad., triple wasteland recursion makes short work out of someone's ability to cast spells too.

Long time reader of this post and player of the deck. first time poster at the request of another Plug Pilot. i just got back from Nationals in Richmond VA playing in an Eternal weekend trial and went 3-1 in one event and 4-0 (technically) in the second with the Plug. I'm on a more "traditional" build, and need to take a look at the sideboard, as a lot of it is holdover from pre-top banning. Path to exile has been a work horse for the right decks (lands (rather than gaining them 20 life), grixis delver, and drazi (that run usually 0 basics), among others here and there.:

2 bayou
    2 savannah
    3 ancient tomb
    4 wasteland
    4 verdant catacombs
    3 windswept heath
    3 forest
    1 swamp
    1 karakas
    1 dryad arbor
    1 deathrite shaman
    1 meren of clan nel toth
    2 obstinate baloth
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 titania, protector of argoth
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 centaur vinecrasher
    2 knight of the reliquary
    4 chalice of the void
    4 abrupt decay
    3 choke
    3 sylvan library
    3 trinisphere
    2 toxic deluge
    2 mox diamond
    4 green sun's zenith

1 spike weaver
    1 tower of the magistrate
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 stingerfling spider
    1 trinisphere
    1 kalonian hydra
    3 leyline of the void
    1 reclamation sage
    2 massacre
    1 giant solifuge
    2 path to exile
    the report isnt as detailed as it could be, as there was quite a bit of time in several games where it was mostly back and forth uneventful attacks or spell casts.

the first event that went 3-1 i don't remember as well given it occurred early on the first day of nationals side events. I'll try to give a brief summary of how the games went

Round 1
    Topless miracles
    (the only thing NOT better topless, IMO)

Both games find me unable to locate a choke before turn 8, leaving my opponent free to cantrip and sculpt his hand and do about whatever he wanted to my spells and creatures. Game two saw turn 2 and three trinispheres, but it turns out those arent much of an issue when your opponent has 9 lands in play.

round 2
    Elves

My opponent here is on more of a Modern version of elves, with archdruid, ezuri and Shaman of the pack. Toxic deluge in the main was an all star here with abrupt decay and wasteland. bigger threats than he could get out closed out the game tidily.

Game two saw an early resolved trinisphere after he plays a heritage druid and elvish visionary. His turn three he plays one Archdruid, then activates heritage druid to play a second archdruid. after confirming this made all 4 elves 3/3s, i toxic deluge for 3 and then start putting the heavy beats down with knight, scavenging ooze, and a kalonian hydra.

round 3
    Eldrazi

Game one went relatively well with some strategically placed wastelands. while my opponent does get a thought knot out, i get a baloth down, followed by Meren, who gets to recur a dryad arbor i blocked with a few turns earlier. my opponent ends up dismembering meren and a baloth at one point, but isnt able to get past 4 mana worth of lands and never casts much more, while i am able to get the beats in with bigger guys.

game two i see a mimic and 3 back to back matter reshapers that i dont have the resources to deal with. I'm trounced hard.

game three sees another good use of wastelands into a trinisphere. my opponent is locked out of playing things off his karakas and cavern of souls. He drops an eye of ugin and tries to cast a thought knot, but is unable to because of the trinisphere restriction (he couldnt pay 3 mana with the eye). he continued to be locked out, unable to find mana, and i attacked uncontested.

round 4
    Aluren

I learned very quickly here to let him cast a harpy and kill the only creature he could target with it, to force him to bounce the harpy back. I did it wrong the first time, attacking with a knight only to have it (mostly) fogged. got it right the second time. and was able to start hitting properly. my opponent couldnt seem to find his aluren that would have probably sealed the game.

I do recall taking out the three chokes here in favor of reclamation sage, trinisphere, and Kalonian hydra. I saw quite a bit of non-island from him, knew triniphere cancels out aluren, and figured I'd just try to get beats in.

game two was won on the back of titania, bringing back a wasteland that ate one of my own non basics. 3 5/3s swing in the next turn, and then i play a vinecrasher with 9 counter on it to win on the next attack.

for the second event that was 4-0, i took a buddy's advice and started making notes about games. still not detailed down to the turn, but much more recalled.

round 1

Soul sisters

My opponent was on a modern build of Soul Sisters, playing in the event to pass the time until his modern games started. Game 1 was very one-sided as he resolved a Miran crusader which then got pumped up by the Elspeth, Knight errant to give +3/+3 flying. my deck has nothing but green and black creatures so I scooped it up after getting hit once for 10 in the air.

Out: 3 choke (of course) 3 trinisphere
    In: 2 massacre, 2 path to exile, Kalonian Hydra, Spike weaver. I figured removal and board wipe would be great, and hydra beats with weaver fogs could help close out games real well.

Game two end up going much longer as I let him develop a bit of a board board before Massacring it away. At one point he had 40 life from a martyr activation but two baloths and the Pride mate took stood to put some damage out. a toxic deluge for 2 after a few turns of him building up again took out my pride mate but also cleared out any last blockers he was played. The game ended a few times later with baloth beats.

The last game came down to the wire and played out much like the second.towards the end I had to Toxic Deluge for 5 down to 5 to kill his giant creatures including Miran crusader, OG Linvala (keeper of silence), and a Auriok champion. All with Always Watching in play to make them +1/+1. Opponent ended up getting some guys back from the yard with Return to the Ranks, bringing back Auriok and a pride mate from earlier. after dropping the pride mate on my turn, he gets the last points of damage needed with an Elspeth making his champion a 5/5 flyer.

my opponent conceded to me for the tournament to go play Modern. thanks bud!

1-0

Round two

reanimator

Game one my opponent has the nuts and reanimates whatever he wants with Chancellor backup on his turn one. I'm mediate scoop.

out: 3 trinisphere, 2 toxic deluge
    In: 3 leyline, 2 path to exile (i figure i have to keep him off his GY as quickly as i can, and if i cant, i better have a way to deal with his dude.

Game 2 I keep chalice, chalice, mox, ancient terms, two Lands, and pride mage. He reveals chancellor. I play Mox into the chancellor, then chalice on 1 off tomb. Opponent plays a lotus petal and passes. I draw leyline and regret not letting a second chalice take the bullet for the chancellor, then play chalice on 0 and a land, and responds next turn with collective brutality to discard his chancellor, drain me, and look at the leyline stranded in my hand. We pass back and forth for a while, playing a waste land to kill one of his two Badlands for a while, before finding a sylvan library into scavenging ooze and taking the one guy in his yard. Ramunap excavator comes down later and locks him out with recurring wastelands.

Game three on the draw sees a mull to 5 with leyline, two fetches, a knight and a scooze. Scry a fetch to the bottom. Leyline comes down, opponent plays a land and passes, not showing a chancellor at the start. Draw a wasteland, play a fetch, and then get unmasked to lose the Scooze. Knight eventually comes down as a 5/5 and starts beating over 4 turns while my opponent fails to find a way to deal with leyline, showing me a Tidespout Tyrant as he extends the hand.

2-0

Round 3

4 color control

keep a opening hand with a choke and an Abrupt Decay. the game goes super long, back and forth between wiping his board, him getting a deathrite back with k command, and general slow events. that choke came down on turn 2, which ended up keeping him on only a swamp and his death right Shaman and limiting his plays heavily.i land a trinisphere. Recurring wastelands back with excavator ends up keeping his board free of any other lands he tries to play, and Meren comes down off a green sun to spread her immense value all over my board. my opponent concedes as our boards both start getting very wide, mine being much bigger with baloths and a scavenging ooze, in the interest of time.

Out: pridemage, 1 chalice
    in: 2 Path to exile (the main board is already set up to deal with low curve, blue based decks. I thought paths would just be good for extra removal.)

Game 2 on the draw I open a hand of 7 with trinisphere, ancient tomb, and two fetches and figure the lock plan is a go. my first draw is a lucky Chalice of the Void and I resolve it on my turn 1 for one, following up with trinisphere next turn. My opponent ends up playing a Liliana of the Veil on turn 3 and makes me discard a deathrite shaman hanging out in my hand (drawn right after the chalice) first, and then his next +1 activation hits my recently drawn obstinate baloth, putting it Onto the board and whacks Lili on my next turn. Green sun for a knight follows up after attacks and I closed out the game attacking for 9 a turn. My opponent didnt seem too eager to tick Lili up again, but if he did there was another baloth coming.

3-0

Round 4

Grixis Delver

My final opponent offers to split prize support, indicating he cannot play in the eternal weekend. he concedes to me to split prize tickets, and the event is over for me.

so a few "technical" wins in the second event, but overall the deck still appears to have legs
    Last edited by Tretty; 10-16-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Hey, I'm testing a version of this deck right now. Plan on playing it in a tournament not tomorrow but next Tuesday. I don't think choke is good enough in the main atm but definitely want 4 in the 75. Thoughts suggestions welcome!

4 Drs
    1 bop
    1 sylvan caryatid
    3 thought not seer
    1 troll ascetic
    1 eternal witness
    1 progenitus
    1 emrakul
    1 elderscale wurm
    1 dryad arbor

2 gsz
    3 sylvan library

4 pattern of rebirth
    3 natural order

4 cabal therapy
    4 gitaxian probe
    3 collective brutality

1 phyrexian tower
    2 high market
    3 ghost quarter
    2 ancient tomb
    4 Llanowar wastes
    6 green fetch
    3 forest
    1 bayou

SB:
    4 choke
    3 abrupt decay
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 thoughtseize
    1 ruric thar
    Last edited by kinda; 01-31-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

If anyone has interested in discussing the deck on FB here is the group page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588191771307993/

Also this is my latest list, I have finished 5-0, 4-1 and 3-2 in the last few leagues I played online, the biggest changes were the addition of the 4th Leyline to the SB but that was mostly due to the online meta being full of BR Reanimator, I am not sure if it's I would play 4 in a paper event, I added a garruk and a daybreak ranger to the SB as well, I am still testing to see if those help in the MUs I expect them to perform well.

2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    3 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Choke
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Mox Diamond
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Courser of Kruphix

1 Spike Weaver
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Stingerfling Spider
    1 Daybreak Ranger
    1 Kalonian Hydra
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Swords to Plowshares

Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma

was basically tailor made for this deck. It pairs perfectly alongside Baloth or Thragtusk to round out the core threat base for the deck.

Pair it alongside a few silver bullets to grab with Zenith and a rich disruption package (maindeck Choke is very tempting) and the deck is positioned really well for the current meta.

As an aside, is surrak, the hunt caller worth slots in the deck. It basically has haste and gives all your creatures haste as long as you have 3 power on the board. A hasty 5/4 is just as strong as Baloth is it not?
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 07-14-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Here is a list I propose, modeled after the dragon stompy lists that are dominating the format...

10 Forest
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

3 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
    3 Surrak, the Hunt Caller

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Choke

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Runic Armasaur
    1 Deathgorge Scavenger
    1 Prowling Serpopard
    1 Rhonas the Indomitable
    1 Temur Sabertooth
    1 Polukranos, World Eater
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Thragtusk

I think this monogreen route is a much smoother and more consistent direction to take with the deck, especially with the dominance of Blood Moons and islands in the format.
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 07-14-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Loaming Shaman > Scavenger

Hello everybody, long time no see =)

Playing mostly on mtgo, i was thinking about the bug Version with btb and trini with only basics, something like

4 brainstorm
    4 utopia
    4 btb
    3/4 trini
    4 tnn
    3/4 argothian
    3/4 library
    3/4 pw

Maybe cartouche and Black trial?

Ecc,because btb is huge right now
    What di you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    Hello everybody, long time no see =)

Playing mostly on mtgo, i was thinking about the bug Version with btb and trini with only basics, something like

4 brainstorm
    4 utopia
    4 btb
    3/4 trini
    4 tnn
    3/4 argothian
    3/4 library
    3/4 pw

Maybe cartouche and Black trial?

Ecc,because btb is huge right now
    What di you think?
    3sphere without sol lands is way too slow, and i dont see the reason not to play chalice in this deck.
    if you want to play enchantress with b2b, the ug enchantress deck could be a starting point...

Gesendet von meinem CS40 mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by P210; 10-24-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P210 View Post
    3sphere without sol lands is way too slow, and i dont see the reason not to play chalice in this deck.
    if you want to play enchantress with b2b, the ug enchantress deck could be a starting point...

Gesendet von meinem CS40 mit Tapatalk
    You have gsz for dryad and utopia sprawl: i think BTB is well positionated right now but it cuts away many common accelerations like Sol lands and Mox Diamond with fancy lands because, you know, BTB. Utopia sprawl and, if you want to push, gsz for dryad enables t2 Trini the same time as 7x of sol lands alone. An alternative is Chrome Mox, more spells but Chalice too

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    You have gsz for dryad and utopia sprawl: i think BTB is well positionated right now but it cuts away many common accelerations like Sol lands and Mox Diamond with fancy lands because, you know, BTB. Utopia sprawl and, if you want to push, gsz for dryad enables t2 Trini the same time as 7x of sol lands alone. An alternative is Chrome Mox, more spells but Chalice too
    For me your list has too many cards that play not that well together, but feel free to test and tell us how it goes.
    Back to Basics is a strong card, but it shuts down your Dryad and makes your deck slower when you play without sol land acceleration.
    Brainstorm/Utopia Sprawl seems underwhelming when they cost 3 mana under your own Trinisphere.
    All in all, your list isn't really a stompy deck to me anymore, and I believe Chalice should still be the core of a (green) Stompy deck... ^^

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Memories has these innovative ideas every now and then, it's a delight to see. It looks unreliable, but.. Drawing cards has proven to be good before, and B2B is a great, impactful card, no doubt. And enchantments seem well positioned overall, the best decks have a hard time getting rid of them. I could see adding Courser of Kruphix to that deck, great synergy with the Enchantress and the Sylvan Libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by P210 View Post
    For me your list has too many cards that play not that well together, but feel free to test and tell us how it goes.
    Back to Basics is a strong card, but it shuts down your Dryad and makes your deck slower when you play without sol land acceleration.
    Brainstorm/Utopia Sprawl seems underwhelming when they cost 3 mana under your own Trinisphere.
    All in all, your list isn't really a stompy deck to me anymore, and I believe Chalice should still be the core of a (green) Stompy deck... ^^
    Utopia is underwhelming as any accelerations under trinisphere: true about Brainstorm, but the key point of a shell like the one i've proposed is to play a prison deck and still being able to run Brainstorm+Sylvan, having a consistency that no stompy deck could possibly imagine (and i've tried, like, all of them since 2010, i've started playing legacy with Demon Stompy...).

Probably the intrinsic problems of acceleration in this deck are too complex to be well resolved, could be: still i'm fascinated by the possibility

Edit: the list i'm testing now

3 Trinisphere
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Trophy Mage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Noble Hierarch
    2 Birds of Paradise

2 Sylvan Library
    4 Back to Basics

4 Brainstorm
    1 Assassin's Trophy
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Misty Rainforest
    5 Forest
    5 Island
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Garruk Relentless

4 Green Sun's Zenith

SIDEBOARD

1 Trinisphere
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Opposition
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Thoughtseize

The splash could be White (3-4x of Noble Hierarch, Gaddock, Knight of Autumn, Blessed Alliance as removal prob) or Black as in this version: anyway it has obviously to be a little splash
    (THx Pettdan, too kind <3 )
    Last edited by Memories of the Time; 11-05-2018 at 06:21 AM.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

After a long break I spent a lot of time the last few weeks reworking the deck from the last list I had (a knight version). My results went stronger and stronger in leagues as I improved the decklist and the deck really seemed like an under the radar top choice lately. But I unluckyly did 5-3 in the Legacy Play-off which is very disappointing even considering this is probably the legacy tournament with the highest level you can participate in.

4 Mox Diamond
    3 Lingering Souls
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    2 Maze of Ith
    4 Sylvan Library
    3 Wasteland
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Knight of Autumn
    2 Engineered Plague
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Choke
    1 Bayou
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass

Sideboard
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Engineered Plague
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Humility
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

Without Thalia you can run Plague main which is very strong on humans and in general in the current metagame. Knight and Maze take care of the biggest creatures and Plague of the small creatures that can be problematic.
    No Thalia also means you can run Lingering Souls to vary your threat and better handle planeswalkers, monarch and flyers.
    A few sideboard tables off the top of my head since that's all people generally ask for. I do this tired and quickly so I hope there won't be any mistake :

Delver with bolt :
    -4 Sylvan library
    -1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    -1 Knight of Autumn
    -1 Tower of the Magistrate
    +1 Bojuka (either slowing down Gurmag or the salamander drake)
    +2 Choke
    +1 Maelstrom Pulse
    +2 Plague
    +1 Marsh Casualties
    Against BUG Delver I think I keep 2 sylvan instead of two plagues, but you don't face these often.
    [EDIT : Swords to plowshares is probably better than Ramunap on the draw]

Death and Taxes and Maverick :
    -1 Choke
    -1 Trini
    -4 Chalice
    +1 STP
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Marsh Casualties
    +2 Plague
    +1 Bojuka Bog

UBr Storm

-1 Plague
    -1 Knight of Autumn
    -3 Souls
    -2 Maze
    -1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    -1 Courser
    -1 another courser or ramunap or tower
    +1 Leyline of the Void
    +3 Faerie Macabre
    +2 Teeg
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Choke
    +1 Bog

Elves
    -1 Sorcerous
    -1 Maze
    -1 Choke
    -2 Courser
    -1 Knight of Autumn
    -1 Tower
    +1 Bog
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Marsh Casu
    +2 Plague
    +2 Teeg
    It's possible -1 Knight of the Reliquary +1 STP is right everytime, but right now I would rather do that on the draw only. Be careful with your Teegs since they block a lot of your cards (Karakasing it is valuable) and don't expect chalice at 1 to be more than something to gain time.
    Former worst match-up, it is not a problem anymore.

UW Miracles

-2 Maze
    -2 Mox
    -1 Tower
    -1 Ramunap
    +2 Choke
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Teeg
    +1 Bog
    Playing the first faerie macabre is an option. I didn't face the deck much online. You keep 2 plagues in. Typically you name monk on the first, human of the second. If clique is a thing then Wizard is an option.
    [EDIT: on second thought it's possible you would keep Ramunap and cut a wasteland against B2B lists]

Grixis Control

-2 Maze
    -1 Mox
    -1 Chalice
    +2 Choke
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Bog
    Alternatively 3rd mox and 3rd chalice aren't great and the first faerie macabre is an option.
    If they play Leovold then sideing in STP is an option. You can count on Tower to deal with Strix.

Sneak Show
    -2 Plague
    -2 Souls
    -1 Maze
    -1 Courser
    +1 Humility
    +2 Teeg
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Choke

RB Reanimator
    -2 Plague
    -1 Choke
    -1 Knight of Autumn (yes I know it can handle animate dead, but no)
    -3 Souls
    -1 Courser
    -1 Ramunap
    -1 Maze
    +1 Humility
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Teeg
    +1 Bog
    +1 Leyline
    +3 Faerie Macabre
    +1 STP

Still one of the worst match-up, I look for a way to fit in a 6th grave hate. Or it is possible that I play 2nd bog main instead of second maze and play needle sb. Needle is faster and you can side it in either when you side out chalice (Thalia Decks, Chalice decks), when you are the underdog and don't have the time to chalice at 1 and often end up chalicing at 0 (reanimator), when you can play it off show and tell (Sneak Show) or when the match-up is very good anyway (GB Depths).
    Anyway split your grave hate and vary it between tournaments.

GB Depths
    -1 Choke
    -1 Trini
    +1 Plague
    +1 Pulse
    Plague on wizard (or human but it shrinks your Kotr) kills Dark Confidant and Sylvan Safekeeper, on Vampire or Shaman kills Hexmage
    -1 Tower +1 Bog is also what I do but I am unsure about it.
    I don't side in STP because the plan isn't great and the match-up is already very good if you play properly.

UW SFM Midrange
    Not easy to sideboard versus any "hybrid" deck (beat you down but can do well in the late game / Various threats). If you have a buddy to test extensively that would be nice to share what you end up with.
    -1 Mox
    -1 Wasteland
    -1 Maze
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Choke

Burn
    -1 Choke
    -1 Maze
    -1 tower ?
    -2 Plague
    +1 Bog ?
    +1 STP
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Teeg
    The opposite of elves. This is the match-up where I lost a lot by cutting Obstinate Baloth. It's dangerous but I still generally win the majority of the time.

Monored Chalice
    -4 Chalice
    -1 Trini
    -1 Choke
    -1 Maze
    -1 Tower
    +1 STP
    +2 Plague
    +1 Marsh Casualties
    +1 Pulse
    +2 Teeg
    +1 Bog
    Keep Ramunap to get back basic lands you eventually sacrificed with Knight of the Reliquary

Eldrazi Stompy
    -1 Choke
    -1 Trini
    -4 Chalice
    +1 STP
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Bog
    +1 Humility
    +2 Plague
    Plague alone is decent so that you can block better with your coursers and kill Mimic. It should also be combo with the latest addition that is humility.
    Last edited by Lejay; 04-12-2019 at 01:41 AM.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Thread Information