Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Re: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTheTwelve View Post
    I don't think I will use this card... It may be a little slow, and in the first round is boltable. I think this is more performing: The Gitrot Monster! Great body, ramp and card advantage with fetches, Courser and Kinght of the Reliquary...

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e3&oe=57917D43
    Gitrot is amazing and would love to play it in legacy...if this is the deck then i may switch from lands haha

I'm not sure the Frog will do much for Plug. Titania costs the same, and can mean 3 5/3 bodies the next turn ready to swing in. That is, if you cast her, then are able to bring a Wasteland from your grave to play and then use it to blow up another of your lands at the end of the opponent's turn. And that's really more the style I think - you are already working to lock the opponent out with Choke/Sphere/Chalice, just need a sudden smack of damage to end the game before they make land drops out of Choke. Frog seems either more grindy-oriented, or some odd combo with dredging. Do we really want to add even more grind to what we already have?

That said, I'm not a Sylvan expert, I have just tried to run with Sylvan Plug online for a good month.

Found it to have a horrible Eldrazi matchup. Having 10-12 lock pieces that do nothing against them was a huge downside. Switched to Braids Stax and that was far easier. Now that Eldrazi has seemed to decline some online (or maybe that's just my perception lately), I'm picking it back up.

Are Chokes basically a mainstay of Sylvan Plug? I'm trying an abzan version now which eschews Baloth in favor of 4 Siege Rhinos. Sort of like Nic Fit with Meren, Rhinos, Shriekmaw, Qasali Pridmage. But instead of Vet/Cabal Therapy, it uses Chalice and Trinisphere. So I'm not sure what to call it. God, "Abzan Midrange" just sounds awful. Still have 3 Chokes in the side to bring in when needed.

If I test some more and it seems good, then I'll probably post somewhere about it. Having lots of fun opening with land -> GSZ for Arbor -> Trinisphere/Chalice T2 and throwing people way off.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Switched to Braids Stax and that was far easier.
    You're famous on Twitter after trashing me.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I'm not sure the Frog will do much for Plug. Titania costs the same, and can mean 3 5/3 bodies the next turn ready to swing in. That is, if you cast her, then are able to bring a Wasteland from your grave to play and then use it to blow up another of your lands at the end of the opponent's turn. And that's really more the style I think - you are already working to lock the opponent out with Choke/Sphere/Chalice, just need a sudden smack of damage to end the game before they make land drops out of Choke. Frog seems either more grindy-oriented, or some odd combo with dredging. Do we really want to add even more grind to what we already have?

That said, I'm not a Sylvan expert, I have just tried to run with Sylvan Plug online for a good month.

Found it to have a horrible Eldrazi matchup. Having 10-12 lock pieces that do nothing against them was a huge downside. Switched to Braids Stax and that was far easier. Now that Eldrazi has seemed to decline some online (or maybe that's just my perception lately), I'm picking it back up.

Are Chokes basically a mainstay of Sylvan Plug? I'm trying an abzan version now which eschews Baloth in favor of 4 Siege Rhinos. Sort of like Nic Fit with Meren, Rhinos, Shriekmaw, Qasali Pridmage. But instead of Vet/Cabal Therapy, it uses Chalice and Trinisphere. So I'm not sure what to call it. God, "Abzan Midrange" just sounds awful. Still have 3 Chokes in the side to bring in when needed.

If I test some more and it seems good, then I'll probably post somewhere about it. Having lots of fun opening with land -> GSZ for Arbor -> Trinisphere/Chalice T2 and throwing people way off.
    Don't want to put words in the creator's mouth but I believe the synthesis of this deck was that Choke could be good main deck depending on the meta and kind of revolves around this assumption.
    Eldrazi makes things worse since it has high representation and Choke doesn't hurt it. If you're not trying to prey on Blue decks (better for large events or depending on your local meta), another deck might be better.
    I don't think Frog > Titania here.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

I haven't been following this thread in a while, but since last week I have been playing Plug online again, and I agree that the Eldrazi MU is very unfavorable, if it becomes more popular I think the addition of some number of toxic deluge in the main would help a lot, I am currently 1-1 vs the deck in competitive matches and the games I won were because of deluge.

Last night I played in a league and finished 4-1 here is my currently list for reference

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I think kalonian/spike might be good enough to maindeck with Eldrazi aggro everywhere. Nice job on the 4-1

Quote Originally Posted by lilevo View Post
    I haven't been following this thread in a while, but since last week I have been playing Plug online again, and I agree that the Eldrazi MU is very unfavorable, if it becomes more popular I think the addition of some number of toxic deluge in the main would help a lot, I am currently 1-1 vs the deck in competitive matches and the games I won were because of deluge.

Last night I played in a league and finished 4-1 here is my currently list for reference

Side?

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

Interesting when I hit the reply button was able to see the whole SB, but I think the original picture letf out 1 scavenge ooze 1 trinisphere and 1 teeg. Btw I am going to be playing the Legacy Challenge and streaming it playing Sylvan Plug.

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

Hi there, I've just found this thread and the deck is really sweet.
    I would like to ask if Trinisphere is set in stone here or can be omitted.
    In my opinion this deck plays too much dead cards (like all chalices, chokes and trinispheres) against eldrazi and other stompy decks.
    What do you think?

thx.

I've been seeing a ton of shardless/delver/eldrazi in my local meta. Wondering if we should now be running some number of Ghost Quarter, though I always feel, with wastelands, that I have just enough mana to do what I need and additional land drops sacrificed for this might not be a good thing, even if it is substituting for a spell (i.e. Trinisphere).
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Dec 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Wondering if we should now be running some number of Ghost Quarter...
    What would it replace in your list? Your list?

Quote Originally Posted by jattra View Post
    Hi there, I've just found this thread and the deck is really sweet.
    I would like to ask if Trinisphere is set in stone here or can be omitted.
    In my opinion this deck plays too much dead cards (like all chalices, chokes and trinispheres) against eldrazi and other stompy decks.
    What do you think?

thx.
    When I played the deck online earlier this year (right when Eldrazi was becoming a thing), I recall moving Chokes to the sideboard for this reason. Black splash including Abrupt Decay is already an ok idea and also opens up some good options against those decks, such as Glissa, the Traitor as a GSZ=3 roadblock for Eldrazi. Trinispheres I think are too essential to cut, at least when you are running both Wastelands and any other form of land destruction. Definitely a pain to try to side out so much against other lists running Chalice though.

If you have Tireless Trackers and Sakura-Tribe Elder, or Arbor, then perhaps taking a nod from Nic Fit and including Meren could be a thing. She does very well against Eldrazi and other ground-beater decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmm_Really? View Post
    What would it replace in your list? Your list?
    //Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Ancient Tomb
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Scrubland

//Creatures
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    2 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    1 Qasali Pridemage

//Rest
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Choke
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Mox Diamond
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Garruk Relentless

//Sideboard
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Massacre
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Tower of the Magistrate

Maybe replace the Trinispheres straight up with Ghost Quarters in the main, drop Giant Solifuge and a Ghost Quarter in the Board for 2 Trinisphere.

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

When I played the deck online earlier this year (right when Eldrazi was becoming a thing), I recall moving Chokes to the sideboard for this reason. Black splash including Abrupt Decay is already an ok idea and also opens up some good options against those decks, such as Glissa, the Traitor as a GSZ=3 roadblock for Eldrazi. Trinispheres I think are too essential to cut, at least when you are running both Wastelands and any other form of land destruction. Definitely a pain to try to side out so much against other lists running Chalice though.

If you have Tireless Trackers and Sakura-Tribe Elder, or Arbor, then perhaps taking a nod from Nic Fit and including Meren could be a thing. She does very well against Eldrazi and other ground-beater decks.
    Thanks for reply.
    First strike + death touch sounds pretty good. But who would play a zombie elf and a traitor in such a nice deck :D

I like wastelands but still I am not sure about trinispheres...
    But you probably have the experience.

How about the new Leovold in this deck?

In my experience we have a hard time dealing with Elves.. He seems ok(Super against Chaos Elves) and survives a Toxic on 2 until we go over them😊

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

How about D&T, is that winnable matchup?

Dec 2015

Has anyone been playing this deck recently?

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

So I decided to play this deck again here is my latest list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/609986#online

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This list just 5-0'd:

3 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Mox Diamond
    4 Choke
    4 Sylvan Library
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Bayou
    3 Forest
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Karakas
    1 Savannah
    1 Swamp

1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Kalonian Hydra
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Spike Weaver
    1 Stingerfling Spider
    3 Toxic Deluge
    1 Trinisphere
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tower of the Magistrate

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lilevo View Post
    So I decided to play this deck again here is my latest list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/609986#online
    Do you keep tally of the number of people who get super salty losing to you playing plug?

Thread Information