Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

Re: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Daze provides a way to fight early countermagic without requiring a high number of blue cards, I am sure it can be very good to help Spheres/Chalices/Chokes resolve early in the game.

what about Tabernacle in this deck? at least in the SB

you play sol lands and Mox Diamonds for Rampage, worst case scenario a Gaea's Cradle.

With Choke it would totally blast Esper, Grixis Sultai Delver

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

It's something that I have been having in mind for some time, but it would be in a deck optimizing it. You would cut all creatures I think and thus GSZ. You would kill with planeswalkers and keep sylvan libraries. The deck would be insanely expensive though since you would probably play 3 tabernacle, possibly 4 because of mox diamonds. So I didn't bother trying.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    It's something that I have been having in mind for some time, but it would be in a deck optimizing it. You would cut all creatures I think and thus GSZ. You would kill with planeswalkers and keep sylvan libraries. The deck would be insanely expensive though since you would probably play 3 tabernacle, possibly 4 because of mox diamonds. So I didn't bother trying.
    Tabernacle cost "only" 22 tix online, so it would be doable as a Online deck at least. But would that route really be better than the current one?

How's the testing with latest list going? Doesn't Knight as the only "real" threat expose you more to GY hate?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Tabernacle cost "only" 22 tix online, so it would be doable as a Online deck at least. But would that route really be better than the current one?
    I don't know
    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How's the testing with latest list going? Doesn't Knight as the only "real" threat expose you more to GY hate?
    4 mox diam list works well and daze works well with it. I am running a lorescale coatl sideboard to have a big threat unimpacted by grave hate, but I am not even sure it is correct to run it as grave hate being problematic is rare and I don't always have a sylvan in play.
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

Mar 2007

Wouldn't running the blue splash open up Trygon Predator as GSZ target for the more grindy match-ups?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I run it in the sideboard.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Great deck - I love playing it in Miracle/Omni infested metas. It's brilliant.

I'm relatively new at this archetype (prison/stax) but a few questions come to mind:

- Has anyone considered straight GB without the W splash? You lose Knight but the mana base gets a lot more consistent. You can go up to 4 Sol lands and still play Teeg in the board with GSZ (and maybe a Savannah). Karakas is still a possibility as an answer to legends, with 4 Libraries it's fairly easy to find. Knight just isn't the finisher he used to be and in testing I found myself getting screwed out of W unless I went deep into Mox Diamonds.
    - how about Goyfs out of the board? One of the challenges in this deck is opponent riding a quick Goyf/Delver to victory. Playing our own Goyfs ensures more answers/beatdown in the times we don't find a Decay.
    - coming over from Junk Nic Fit, I really like maindeck Thrun. Drop it if you face Miracles or suspect opponent has a Jace in the wings. Has anyone else tested this?

I'll refrain from posting my list unless someone is interested. These are just some suggestions from light play testing.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Mar 2007

1) Knight does amazingly fit into our strategy. I'd rather run more Knights than less.
    2) We don't have means to fill our GY. And the deck does its job, the opponent doesn't, either.
    3) I played Thrun in the beginning, but switched to Giant Solifuge then. The haste is too important for the match-ups were you actually want it.

Yesterday I played the new iteration of the deck in my local FNM. Won against Affinity 2-1 and then lost to BURG-Delver & Bant (both 1-2). Both MU were fun games, but very hard. Against delver I always seem to have the same problem: they drop an early Delver and I can't get rid of it in time. Against Bant the problem was the same, but with other creatures. He dropped Goyf (T2), Qasali & SFM (T3), Batterskull & Goyf (T4) and I couldn't get enough creatures in play to block. Then he followed it with an Elspeth and that was game. Planeswalkers are really hard for us to get rid of. Is anyone else having the same problem?
    Considering the Blue splash: haven't had the opportunity to cast a daze the whole night. So, no conclusion on that front. I also seemed to be very unlucky with Chalice. I never opened a hand with a chalice in it.
    I'm now reconfiguring my SB to the following:
    2 Massacre
    1 Deluge
    1 Qasali
    1 Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Karakas
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Trygon Predator
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Open slots (PW answers?)
    Any help on the SB is much appreciated!

Mar 2014
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Long time lurker but haven't posted in a while, or at all it turns out !
    Your idea of a deck with 3/4 Tabernacle intrigues me and reminds me of the Vintage prison lists running 4 in the side. Would you be happy to expand on that idea here or does it need a new thread ?

Thanks

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

So I started playing the deck again on mtgo and have been doing well with it basically without failing to cash on the daily events. I added Huntmaster of the Fells to the deck last week and it has been good, now I am not running any red sources other than the 2 moxes and DRS, so twice Huntmaster just got stuck in my hand without being able to cast it, I am planning on adding at least one taiga to the deck but I would also like to make the red splash worthwhile. What red cards do you guys think it would be worth splashing? so far I have thought about slice and dice, pyroclasm and ruination.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    Long time lurker but haven't posted in a while, or at all it turns out !
    Your idea of a deck with 3/4 Tabernacle intrigues me and reminds me of the Vintage prison lists running 4 in the side. Would you be happy to expand on that idea here or does it need a new thread ?

Thanks
    Sorry I don't much more of an idea about it than what I wrote. But a prison deck with sylvan library and possibly Jace/TEzz (yes despite choke with non island blue lands) seems nice as the prison decks really need good engines. It's a completely different topic though.

Jan 2009
    Farmington, NY

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I was watching GerryT's stream when Romario stomped him in the nuts with a Kalonian Hydra. LSV and Brian Kibler were in the chat too, it was amazing.

Jul 2011
    Germany

I had some last minute family issuses and sadly cancelled my GP Lille trip...besides my friends, i also hope someone with Sylvan Plug will do well today and tomorrow. My wish was to play with this deck because the meta feels so right now (and maybe it is the last time before the DTT Ban?).

I think Lejay will chose a blue shell, so i hope anybody else will register this deck today
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

lol I wasn't aware I was playing against GerryT but thanks to you I went back and watched the match from his side of the screen. Btw if anyone is interested I am now playing 4 Baloths and one knight, lately I have seen more people playing discard and Lilianas/Hymns.

Apr 2007
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    I had some last minute family issuses and sadly cancelled my GP Lille trip...besides my friends, i also hope someone with Sylvan Plug will do well today and tomorrow. My wish was to play with this deck because the meta feels so right now (and maybe it is the last time before the DTT Ban?).

I think Lejay will chose a blue shell, so i hope anybody else will register this deck today
    I played it with a 6-1-2 for day 1 and 6-1 at the sunday side event legacy. My list :

2 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Choke
    4 Sylvan Library
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Swamp
    2 Forest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Ghost Quarter
    SB: 1 Tower of the Magistrate
    SB: 1 Spike Weaver
    SB: 1 Maelstrom Pulse
    SB: 1 Kalonian Hydra
    SB: 1 Giant Solifuge
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 2 Massacre
    SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Skylasher
    SB: 1 Trinisphere

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

I streamed the daily last night with Sylvan Plug and went 3-1 also this streamer has been playing some Sylvan Plug

http://www.twitch.tv/smalltownmagic/...ast_broadcasts

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

After last b&r announcement I've decided to try again this green friend in the sea of blue metagame. This is only the beginning but I have a big pleasure playing this deck. I have been testing an old BG version with small W SB (I have a strong and inexplicable aversion to KoR). Currently I'm 19-1 vs top blue, dropping 1 match to BUG, mostly because of fast Jace 2.0. I must say that this new Miracle Mentor deck with Daze and Counterspell is very exacting. Matchup is much worse than before when I was only scared of fast Entreat the Angels for 2-3. Score vs nonblue is not so good, 10-6. I have a feeling that Plug is the best chalice deck vs blue but worse vs anything else than Aggro Loam.

Decklist:

3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Bayou
    5 Forest
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Rolling Spoil
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Choke
    4 Sylvan Library
    1 Toxic Deluge

SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 Giant Solifuge
    SB: 1 Kalonian Hydra
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 2 Massacre
    SB: 2 Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 1 Savannah
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 1 Spike Weaver
    SB: 1 Stingerfling Spider
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm

Things to try:
    - add 1 more Reclamation Sage somewhere.
    - add more graveyard hate, maybe 2-3 LotV/Fearie Macabre. Probably LotV vs KoR's and LftL.
    - test version with W and U.
    - more Toxic Deluge (2nd in main?) vs Mentor/Pyromancer.dec meta

Thread Information