Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Re: Sylvan Plug (or whatever splashed Green stompy)

Quote Originally Posted by TopWizard View Post
    How do you feel about Night of Souls' Betrayal over Rolling Spoil?
    I played NoSB briefly in the sideboard and I do think it's good. But it's not the fastest effect and double black doesn't make it easy to cast. I would only consider it a sideboard card though. Imo Rolling spoil is the -1/-1 effect that is worth the main deck, even more than toxic deluge that I ran main deck x2 in shardless because even against non creature decks it's still quite useful to cut non blue lands (or even blue ones if needed).
    I may change my mind one day and consider rolling spoil a very good sb card for TNN control decks and miracles but at the moment I think it's more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsaya View Post
    Kalonian Hydra works with green sun zenith ...
    The only X hydra I'd consider is mistcutter hydra. Because it's very good versus control and planeswalkers and it's cheap so you can side it in against dredge to get rid of their bridges with GSZ.
    I do not run it because control match-ups are already very good.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenInTheQueue View Post
    Decklist
    I don't like much putting the spike weaver main deck because that saved sideboard slot isn't important for me as I wouldn't be sure about what to put in it. What I am sure however is I wouldn't run a second savannah. Why did you put it ? Teeg comes in against non wasteland decks.
    However running two spike weaver + two kalonian main deck as part of a strategy of dominating combat steps is something to be tested. I guess if someone wants to try it he can remove rolling spoil from the main as TNN won't be a problem with this nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    recycle

does this have a home in here?

Also, I feel like this deck is lacking late game... everything except hydra dies to a batter skull...i want to say primeval titan, but that doesn't really help. Titania might be ok but I'm really struggling to find a better green creature... maybe Polukranos, World Eater
    Recycle : no, and I see no reason for it to be better in this deck than anywhere else. I don't think we can run something more expensive than kalonian hydra.
    Our late game should be either sylvan library or making the opponent draw dead cards / stop moving.
    If you want to handle batterskul this is reasonable though. Thrun is ok but I didn't like it enough in testing. The one of Reaper of the Wilds however has more potential. Siege rhino really doesn't fit with the mana base as you want to be able to function with basics and generally fetch them if you can.

About my list I replaced aven mindcensor with faerie macabre. Having another weapon against storm was as nice as expected, but censor doesn't change the most frequent games you lose which are turn 1 discard+turn 2 combo or turn 1 combo. They usually use PiF to avoid gambling so FM would have done the job and it can't be hit by duress if they play it. I didn't face elves with censor but I already didn't like the fact it's another thing that dies to your mass removals and I am still confident in the weaver/dawnstrider plan even if I still didn't see it in action versus elves.
    2 karakas 2 FM 3 DRS 1 ooze 4 GSZ, 4 cotv means you are pretty well prepared for reanimator, which with regular dredge is coming back in the new metagame sculpted by UR. That's far more important than cloudpost in my opinion so I am happy with all these changes.
    Since handling delver is a big part of the UR match-up I wonder if siding in FM against them is worth it. I'll try them post sb instead of rolling spoils.
    About the main deck I feel I open too many 1 land hands online. I don't know if the unperfect human shuffling prevents people testing from that, but I had to accept to cut second thragtusk for a second wasteland. I am glad it's back though, especially with DRS.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

I think I would play more Thragtusks. The card just seems strictly better than Hydra and alot of other stuff, and is very powerful vs. the current crop of tier decks.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I do not exclude the idea of cutting completely Kalonian and keeping two thragtusks. But I have things to test with kalonian, and since the miracles match-up is so good and tusk is slow for UR, I am ok with testing this configuration.
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

Lejay do you rely on drawing the karakasses for the combo matchups or am I missing some sneaky way of fetching way?
    We dont (and can't) use crop rotation which would be nice with Titania I guess, but I guess thats why you run 2 karakas. with a sylvan or three you might increase the chances of seeing one i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Neffy cut a ponder! We should kill him

Awesome deck concept Lejay!

Been thinking about it some and I think just a white splash for the SB might be better(cutting mountain/ruination) since u can play like 3 Containment Priest then.
    I know it works against gsz, but I still think its more then worth it to increase ur chances against Reanimator/Sneak Attack/Elves/Dredge which are harder MU's.

Have u thought about Tarmogoyf as a one off in this deck?

Greetings-

Dec 2010
    Montreal

So I tested the list posted in the OP and I came to the following conclusions:

The deck needs 4 Wastelands. Trinisphere is infinitely better when you can destroy lands for free.

Crucible is very good because it enables Wastelocks, shuffles on demand for Library, and provides steady land drops for scaling GSZs.

Siege Rhino is leaps and bounds better than Baloth in this deck. Trample is extreme relevant in this kind of deck and trading 1 life for a bolt to the face is amazing. Personally I don't feel like splashing white is very difficult if you choose to take the Wasteland-less road.

Overall Baloths feel like crutches. Aside from the popularity of burn, Baloth is weak overall and we don't always have to make up for the life we lose to tomb and library. I don't think 4 copies is mandatory.

Spoils is very good in this deck and the -1/-1 effect is often required to shore up our worst matchups. I am surprised it isn't played at the full playset. Along with Wasteland, I feel like those are the cards that keep the coffin shut with an active Trini or Choke.

I believe the new Creeperhulk will be a strict upgrade to Hydra.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

How does this deck matchup against Delver, Combo decks and the other big linchpins like Miracles?

If I saw evidence on MTGO that this deck is solid I'd take it with me to the GP in New Jersey.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post

The deck needs 4 Wastelands. Trinisphere is infinitely better when you can destroy lands for free.

Crucible is very good because it enables Wastelocks, shuffles on demand for Library, and provides steady land drops for scaling GSZs.

Siege Rhino is leaps and bounds better than Baloth in this deck. Trample is extreme relevant in this kind of deck and trading 1 life for a bolt to the face is amazing. Personally I don't feel like splashing white is very difficult if you choose to take the Wasteland-less road.

Overall Baloths feel like crutches. Aside from the popularity of burn, Baloth is weak overall and we don't always have to make up for the life we lose to tomb and library. I don't think 4 copies is mandatory.

Spoils is very good in this deck and the -1/-1 effect is often required to shore up our worst matchups. I am surprised it isn't played at the full playset. Along with Wasteland, I feel like those are the cards that keep the coffin shut with an active Trini or Choke.

the deck probably doesn't want to play wasteland control. trini and chalice are included to defend against combo

siege rhino is good, at least 1 should be required, it beats batterskull and provides a huge swing in life. Balloths are fine but underwhelming.

I do actually like the land destruction plan aside from wasteland. crucible in multiples is terrible, and then you weaken the manabase with wastelands...

Silklash Spider may be nice against fliers. it blocks substantial amounts of dmg, and can pretty much destroy anything in the air. can't be bolted either, even after blocking most 3/x fliers.

Kodama of the North Tree maybe his toughness is too low? otherwise he seems nice.

Xenagos, God of Revels could have nice interaction. haste to all your creatures, and double power, and fetch able with GSZ.

Sages of the Anima maybe the deck doesn't run enough creatures for this to be beneficial but it can be GSZ'd and is a good 5cmc outside bolt range
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Feb 2014

Sages of the Anima maybe the deck doesn't run enough creatures for this to be beneficial but it can be GSZ'd and is a good 5cmc outside bolt range
    The interaction with Sylvan library looks good, taking all the creatures cards among the first nine cards of your deck each turn (15 if you have 2 libraries), but with the deck running only 13-14 creatures it may be not enough.

Sad they didn't print Abundance with legs to be tutored for.

What about Natural Order?

@Leyaj -> what is your current list?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Neffy View Post
    Lejay do you rely on drawing the karakasses for the combo matchups or am I missing some sneaky way of fetching way?
    We dont (and can't) use crop rotation which would be nice with Titania I guess, but I guess thats why you run 2 karakas. with a sylvan or three you might increase the chances of seeing one i guess.
    No fetching.

Quote Originally Posted by rancOr_ View Post
    Awesome deck concept Lejay!

Been thinking about it some and I think just a white splash for the SB might be better(cutting mountain/ruination) since u can play like 3 Containment Priest then.
    I know it works against gsz, but I still think its more then worth it to increase ur chances against Reanimator/Sneak Attack/Elves/Dredge which are harder MU's.

Have u thought about Tarmogoyf as a one off in this deck?

Greetings-
    I said I'd like to test priest but I still like the spike weaver plan much better. Sadly I didn't face elves lately. I had to cut dawnstrider, if spike works well enough alone and isn't too slow without dawnstrider he will for sure stick. Unless I cut kalonian of course.
    Against reanimator I think priest is too slow and you have chalice/trini coming at the same point so hard to remove FM. Sneak is a good enough and not quite played match-up I'd say. But if I face it more and start losing I promise I'll reconsider that.
    I considered Tarmogoyf as a GSZ option but you can probably do better with this mana base. If you want a two mana creature on GSZ it's for the early game and it may not be big enough to matter. Please test and tell me about it.

Regarding wasteland I already said I would be interested in upping the numbers. I'd really like to know what you would cut because if I were to comment my own list I would have lots of good suggestions like that. You really need enough colored mana for turn 1 GSZ/DRS and decay/baloths. I tried 4 wastelands yesterday forcing them by cutting coloured mana and it didn't go well. Maybe 3 are ok but I'll stay on 2 next time at least, and I won't be cutting rolling spoils for wastelands. You have enough lands already and want to make land drops (and -1/-1 is really good).
    If you start running crucible you will cut creatures and probably end up building white stacks.
    I did test rhino and I will say the same thing again. You are happy to fetch basics and drawing rhino will be a problem in this case. When you don't function on basics ancient tomb will also be bad.
    Regarding 4 spoils I considered the option of cutting creatures. Maybe this deck will end up doing that when mature but I also see some issues having no board to block and running removals. You will also lose the versatility of GSZ and libraries won't be as good, if not cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgari4Life View Post
    How does this deck matchup against Delver, Combo decks and the other big linchpins like Miracles?

If I saw evidence on MTGO that this deck is solid I'd take it with me to the GP in New Jersey.
    The reason I like the deck is I like all these match-ups. I now win against all classic SFM decks with my main and sideboard choices, Miracles is a very good match-up. UR and combo good. BUG delver is not as favourable but I'd say about 50/50. But maybe I have the usual syndrom of the guy who thinks he only has good match-ups with his new deck, or maybe the deck won't be favoured anymore when people know about it. My results have dropped a little online but it's probably more because I have been trying different suboptimal things.
    the deck probably doesn't want to play wasteland control. trini and chalice are included to defend against combo

siege rhino is good, at least 1 should be required, it beats batterskull and provides a huge swing in life. Balloths are fine but underwhelming.

I do actually like the land destruction plan aside from wasteland. crucible in multiples is terrible, and then you weaken the manabase with wastelands...

Silklash Spider may be nice against fliers. it blocks substantial amounts of dmg, and can pretty much destroy anything in the air. can't be bolted either, even after blocking most 3/x fliers.

Kodama of the North Tree maybe his toughness is too low? otherwise he seems nice.

Xenagos, God of Revels could have nice interaction. haste to all your creatures, and double power, and fetch able with GSZ.

Siege rhino I have already answered in this same post. I could play the one reaper of the wilds to fetch a batterskul blocker, and I like the scry effect when facing a board of small creatures. After testing it I still play 4 baloths though.
    When tested silklash spider had the big problem of being a 5 mana non threat. Stingerfling does it better for delver imo.
    I didn't find kodama exciting when saw it. Feel free to test.
    Green gods are quite weak, I guess wotc anticipated the GSZ interaction. I still think nylea was the best green god, but became uncessary with kalonian. If the opponent has no blocks you'll probably win without doubling powers of your beasts/hydras so I'd give priority on trample.
    Regarding sages splashing blue is a real issue. It's tutorable but for cards interacting nicely with sylvan library the best I found was abundance which is probably overkill for control match-ups. So I have a pretty simple rule for sylvan combos : not playing something that is inferior to abundance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    What about Natural Order?
    The deck ran NO early. Please read the section on kalonian hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by dave8 View Post
    @Leyaj -> what is your current list?
    Testing lots of different things so no set in stone list. Here is what I'll run in my next daily though :
    1 [EX] City of Traitors
    1 [FUT] Dryad Arbor
    1 [UNH] Swamp
    2 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    3 [R] Bayou
    3 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    6 [UNH] Forest (try 5 forest 1 snow-covered forest)
    1 [BNG] Courser of Kruphix
    1 [M14] Kalonian Hydra
    1 [] Reclamation Sage
    1 [M13] Thragtusk
    2 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman
    4 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
    1 [CMD] Golgari Signet
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    4 [DS] Trinisphere
    3 [5E] Sylvan Library
    4 [8E] Choke
    4 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    2 [RAV] Rolling Spoil
    4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    SB: 1 [M12] Stingerfling Spider
    SB: 1 [EX] Spike Weaver
    SB: 1 [M14] Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 1 [R] Savannah
    SB: 1 [LG] Karakas
    SB: 1 [GP] Giant Solifuge
    SB: 1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 [JOU] Bassara Tower Archer
    SB: 2 [NE] Massacre
    SB: 2 [C13] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 [C13] Toxic Deluge

I tried a build with more sol lands and wastelands and 4 signets and didn't like it much. However I thought it would be a nice effect as a 1 or 2 of in my DRS list. As a singleton it gives you options when in hand which is nice and can lead to very nice turns and color fixing (often acts like a hasted DRS, but without lightning greaves). That's precisely what it did when I played with it in this list. I think it will stay but only have a few matches with it. 3rd DRS is never tutored for so keeping 2 seems fine.
    I think 7 fetches is enough with just 2 DRS and no ruinations sideboard. It's possible we can fit in 3rd wasteland instead but I am still worried with coloured mana and even more now that I have Bassara Tower Archer. Try testing with a different forest (snow-covered or foil) to see what it would have been with wasteland if you want.
    Bassara Tower Archer is the early fetchable answer to delver. It's specific but probably worth it in the current metagame. I have cut second karakas for it. With just 1 Karakas and now that the deck has 2 DRS, Faerie macabre is probably even less cuttable.
    I've put back giant solifuge because without pulse and less creatures I feel I need this effect again againt control. It's a tutorable answer to planeswalkers. I cut the dawnstrider for it though and I didn't like that. We'll see if spike weaver can be fast enough on its own versus elves (I have doubts for infect).
    I may test putting 2nd thragtusk back as the 61st card. You are a GSZ deck after all. Maybe shaving a 5 mana slot for a wasteland was too much so that would equilibriate the lands to spells ratio.
    Last edited by Lejay; 11-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Forgot to answer that. I don't see how it can be a *strict* upgrade as Hydra does more alone, kills way faster and makes spike weaver awesome versus elves and some combat phase based decks. But I agree it is something to test and may become the finisher the deck wants. Once again don't hesitate testing things because I won't have the time to test them all in one week.

Nov 2014
    Worcester, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    I considered Tarmogoyf as a GSZ option but you can probably do better with this mana base. If you want a two mana creature on GSZ it's for the early game and it may not be big enough to matter. Please test and tell me about it.
    What are your thoughts on wall of roots for a two mana creature for GSZ? I recently tested your decklist out at a local weekly and unfortunately was down a trinisphere, so I tried out wall of roots as a hedge against aggressive strategies, which also ramps you nicely. The tournament had a small turnout, so I did not get enough testing to see if I liked it (beat miracles and mud, ID last round). I am not entirely sure what I would cut for it as I would have run the fourth trinisphere had it been available. But thoughts anyways?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by DouthwrightShaman View Post

What are your thoughts on wall of roots for a two mana creature for GSZ? I recently tested your decklist out at a local weekly and unfortunately was down a trinisphere, so I tried out wall of roots as a hedge against aggressive strategies, which also ramps you nicely. The tournament had a small turnout, so I did not get enough testing to see if I liked it (beat miracles and mud, ID last round). I am not entirely sure what I would cut for it as I would have run the fourth trinisphere had it been available. But thoughts anyways?
    I played it briefly and it got cut because playing 4 decays cut a lot of stuff. Also since drs, tutoring one drs does the accel for cheap part which is the most important. Blocking and resisting Bolt are nice but it doesn't block most goyfs, delvers, skull most of the time, and doesn't kill small creatures swarming.
    Last edited by Lejay; 11-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I'm glad you guys have been liking Stingerfling Spider. The card is nuts against Delvers.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Siege rhino I have already answered in this same post. I could play the one reaper of the wilds to fetch a batterskul blocker, and I like the scry effect when facing a board of small creatures. After testing it I still play 4 baloths though.
    When tested silklash spider had the big problem of being a 5 mana non threat. Stingerfling does it better for delver imo.
    I didn't find kodama exciting when saw it. Feel free to test.
    Green gods are quite weak, I guess wotc anticipated the GSZ interaction. I still think nylea was the best green god, but became uncessary with kalonian. If the opponent has no blocks you'll probably win without doubling powers of your beasts/hydras so I'd give priority on trample.
    Regarding sages splashing blue is a real issue. It's tutorable but for cards interacting nicely with sylvan library the best I found was abundance which is probably overkill for control match-ups. So I have a pretty simple rule for sylvan combos : not playing something that is inferior to abundance.
    the only issue i have with abundance is that its not tutor able and becomes too redundant with library. but i can see how its not optimal.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2010
    Montreal

This is the list I ended up playing after testing.

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Kalonian Hydra

4 Abrupt Decay

4 Rolling Spoil
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Choke
    3 Sylvan Library

4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Swamp

Most of my testing was against Elves, DnT, UR Delver, and SnT. This is probably one of the reasons I ended up going to 4 Spoils. The card is OK when choke is relevant but it is extremely potent when Choke is irrelevant. For these reasons I think both cards go hand in hand. My sideboard didn't quite contain 15 cards but I did have 2 Massacre and 2 Toxic Deluge postboard making the Elves and DnT matchups quite good (in fact I never lost to Elves in 3 best of 3s). It is interesting to note that I played a Savannah in my SB and sported a SB Teeg as well as a few copies of Rest in Peace as an additional lock piece against decks playing DRS and Goyfs.

I went down to 1 DRS because I hate drawing it and it is rarely a GSZ target. Dryad is my T1 accel of choice. DRS is also a sad threat when a lock is in place, I don't see myself consistently activating it every turn let along two. I wouldn't be against a 2nd copy but playing more than that is probably a mistake. Overall I think Wasteland is a better card to have.

Kalonian is the best finisher so far. He is clean and swift. I cannot say as much for Thragtusk as I haven't gotten him to die yet. I find the Baloths good enough in most circumstances and I prefer drawing Baloth to Thragtusk. Miracles aside, I don't find Thragtusk all that impressive.

Kruphix is absolutely amazing, he is my #1 GSZ target on an empty or stalled board. The synergy with Library is insane for a non-blue deck. In all my years of Legacy, Kruphix as a GSZ target is one of those underrated cards on par with Sylvan Library. I only play one copy because it has never been removed so far. Otherwise I would definitely pack a second, perhaps even over the third Library as I really dislike drawing two copies.

Another thing I noticed while playing the deck was that I had no good GSZ targets at CMC 2. Under an active Trinisphere this has been a constant disapointment. I think 1 or 2 Goyfs would be beneficial. Maybe even an Ooze.

Going forward I would like to test a white splash in the main. I don't think basic lands are too important because they are only good against Blood Moon so we can easily cut back to 1 Forest and 1 Swamp and still have plenty of outs to Blood Moon. I don't find Wasteland menacing when our opponents need 3 mana to cast their spells. I would really love to adopt Rhino > Baloth because it is extremely important for us to capitalize on every extra turn we are given by Trinisphere and Chalice. Trample, Batterskull-proof, and reach are all things I am looking for at the top of my curve along with life gain. Also, I don't think I would ever want to grab a Thragtusk or Hydra ever again if I had access to 4 Rhinos. I think Sigarda is also a good consideration as it is nearly impossible to answer by many Legacy decks.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I don't think you can keep tombs with 3 colours and siege rhino as your main creature, and tomb is quite necessary for prison elements.
    I wanted to try a full denial list at some point so I'll test your list when I can. I feel the mana base is dangerous but other than that it's what I would have done (pretty obvious build though). I won't be able to play until sunday so feel free to update it by then.

I don't think you can keep tombs with 3 colours and siege rhino as your main creature, and tomb is quite necessary for prison elements.
    I wanted to try a full denial list at some point so I'll test your list when I can. I feel the mana base is dangerous but other than that it's what I would have done (pretty obvious build though). I won't be able to play until sunday so feel free to update it by then.
    Why not just drop Tombs altogether, then play more 1 mana guys like maybe Noble Heirarch, and play 3 colors?

Thread Information