Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate Reforged Thread

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Re: Fate Reforged Thread

As hype as that Ugin is, I don't see it sliding into Tron as some would hope due to the 8cc. Might be harder to curve out unless you add something else like Signet or something. Either way, it's hype as hell and I hope more colorless cards come.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by BBG|Scott-Spain View Post
    As hype as that Ugin is, I don't see it sliding into Tron as some would hope due to the 8cc. Might be harder to curve out unless you add something else like Signet or something. Either way, it's hype as hell and I hope more colorless cards come.
    Is there any reason why the signet/curving should be a trouble? Note that I'm not the most experienced speaking of Modern, but I thought that some kind of color fixation and ramp is played, as well as the sorceries to find lands, ones that need the initial Forest. Thus I believe that it should be pretty usual to play turn4 Ugin.
    Shame the art, though. It's... not exactly beautiful.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by BBG|Scott-Spain View Post
    Well, it IS 001/185. I assume the first 20 or so cards in the set will be colorless nonartifact/nonlands.
    As for the Bolster mechanic someone's going to be upset when they pull 10 Fat Asstodon during prerelease and launch, but it seems like Wizards has done pretty good on making the limited-focused mechanics have kickers. Creatures get bonuses off of their Prowess triggers and having +1/+1 counters in keeping with their shard's mechanics, so maybe we'll get a Bolster 1 with a neat little ability attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    Well, it IS 001/185. I assume the first 20 or so cards in the set will be colorless nonartifact/nonlands.
    As for the Bolster mechanic someone's going to be upset when they pull 10 Fat Asstodon during prerelease and launch, but it seems like Wizards has done pretty good on making the limited-focused mechanics have kickers. Creatures get bonuses off of their Prowess triggers and having +1/+1 counters in keeping with their shard's mechanics, so maybe we'll get a Bolster 1 with a neat little ability attached.
    Creatures with +1/+1 counters get bonuses? That would tie in neatly with Abzan stuff from KtK.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Isn't it funny that Ugin will fight alongside the Eldrazi in Legacy? ;D
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Isn't it funny that Ugin will fight alongside the Eldrazi in Legacy? ;D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

From a storyline perspective it makes perfect that he can't affect the Eldrazi titans.

I plan to play a few copies of Ugin in MUD alongside Karn. Both have their uses in certain Matchups. I see Ugin shining against UR Delver, Elves, and Miracles while Karn I think does well against decks with fatties and attrition decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Is there any reason why the signet/curving should be a trouble? Note that I'm not the most experienced speaking of Modern, but I thought that some kind of color fixation and ramp is played, as well as the sorceries to find lands, ones that need the initial Forest. Thus I believe that it should be pretty usual to play turn4 Ugin.
    Shame the art, though. It's... not exactly beautiful.
    Well the big issue for GR Tron is that his main usage is as a sweeper. Problem is, Oblivion Stone is also a sweeper that lets you split up the 8 mana (which can be incredibly useful if you're having trouble assembling Urzatron).

He might replace All Is Dust, but it's worth remembering that All Is Dust is really only played as Oblivion Stones #5-8. And Ugin costs 1 more than All Is Dust. What does he offer in addition? His +2 isn't particularly useful against an opponent because their life total doesn't matter that much, and a sweeper takes out all creatures instead of just one. That said, if up against Affinity he's a little more useful because he can take out more creatures, but even then he's rather slow.

The ultimate is gamewinning, but feels like it could easily just be win-more. You're likely doing great if you do get up that high.

There's definitely cases where he's better than Oblivion Stone or even All Is Dust, but is it frequent enough to merit playing him over them in Modern GR Tron? Not sure about that.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Thanks Lord Seth, that was enlightening! Now I get it.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Against Affinity he does little. He only Deeds coloured permanents.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

[IMG]
    The Onslaught Fetches will be in Fate as well. Milk that baby for all its worth.
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ged-2014-12-24
    The wording of the article suggests that the Onslaught fetches will be in the lands slot, not the rare/mythic slot. That's a value booster from Fate Reforged because when you luck into a fetch it will be alongside the rare/mythic in the pack.

Had to read it twice to get there but that's what it sounds like.

The number of people drafting at my LGS has been dropping steadily. This might reverse the trend. Although one of the reasons the numbers of drafters is in decline is that people have filled out their KTK fetch sets.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    The wording of the article suggests that the Onslaught fetches will be in the lands slot, not the rare/mythic slot. That's a value booster from Fate Reforged because when you luck into a fetch it will be alongside the rare/mythic in the pack.

Now let's just hope they didn't do that because the set blatantly sucks. DGM left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Now let's just hope they didn't do that because the set blatantly sucks. DGM left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I'm betting they did it because booster sales aren't meeting the targets at this point. My nephew told me a couple of days ago that it was time to get the last few cards for his Legacy Burn deck because he didn't want to draft any more. He has more than he needs out of KTK at this point and sees no reason to draft the next set.

The only way they get him to draft the next set is if they put the other set of fetches in. He's full up on KTK fetches and never wants to see another creature with Outlast in his life.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The effect on the long term price of the fetches though is worth a thought. This could be something that is healthy for us.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007

I'm betting they did it because booster sales aren't meeting the targets at this point. My nephew told me a couple of days ago that it was time to get the last few cards for his Legacy Burn deck because he didn't want to draft any more. He has more than he needs out of KTK at this point and sees no reason to draft the next set.

The only way they get him to draft the next set is if they put the other set of fetches in. He's full up on KTK fetches and never wants to see another creature with Outlast in his life.
    I wonder - was KTK the best-selling set of all time again?

FRF is also supposed to be drafted with Dragons of Tarkir, so there's that.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I mean, why design good sets when you can instead just print money?

bruizar

Who needs good sets when you can play poker?

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

The number of people drafting at my LGS has been dropping steadily. This might reverse the trend. Although one of the reasons the numbers of drafters is in decline is that people have filled out their KTK fetch sets.
    The article didn't just suggest that, it blatantly confirmed it:

In other words, it's entirely possible to open your Fate Reforged packs at a Prerelease and, instead of seeing a basic land or a Jungle Hollow, see this staring back at you:
    FloodedStrand.jpg
    Now, what the frequency of the fetch substitution is, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    The article didn't just suggest that, it blatantly confirmed it:

Now, what the frequency of the fetch substitution is, who knows?
    if its anything like D-Maze, I'll cry.

On the bright side, $5 fetches might become reality!

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I'm going to call BS on that, I'm sure when sales numbers come out KTK will have outsold Theros. KTK has gotten excellent reviews in all formats from just about everyone except 6 users here on The Source.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I'm going to call BS on that, I'm sure when sales numbers come out KTK will have outsold Theros. KTK has gotten excellent reviews in all formats from just about everyone except 6 users here on The Source.
    This, there's over 60 KTK drafts in progress on MODO right now and it's 10:30pm on a Holiday Cube Friday.

Thread Information