Thread: [SCD] Gut Shot

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

[SCD] Gut Shot

For reference:

I'm thinking this card should see more use, as it is especially good in U/R delver mirrors, pump ur switfspear, make a token, kill enemy pyro/unflipped delver. With TC/Pyro/Swiftspear, the low impact of this card isn't as much as an issue, and as a sideboard option is extremely good against Elves! too. I could even see it in some maindecks. I thought about it after seeing how many games were resolved by T1 delver on the play and me thinking it'd be good to have Mental misstep back, then again, maybe not. However, this is essentially a mental misstep against T1 delver, even if it ain't as good vs enemy skillstorms or Ponders. The biggest problem is that it doesn't kill Stoneforge and DRS, alongside flipped delvers, but again, in UR this shouldn't be as much of a problem considering how much additional utlity the card provide.

EDIT: as a 10 mins of testing showed, forked bolt is just a better card in general, disdregard this. If anything , this is making me think about Firebolt as a T1 removal for said card that double as reach in the lategame. With the amount of creature you want to kill in this format, it may even be better than chain lightning in everything but straight burn.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [SCD] Gut Shot

Does not kill SFM, Swiftspear, DRS or a flipped Delver. If you a generous to pay a red mana for Forked Bolt, you can even create cardadvantage against the decks you named.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I would play in sb Electrickery, its much better and can kill all tokens, works also vs Belcher turn 1 EtW or TES, and tons better vs elves.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

its a tempo card for sure but outside of that its very poor.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

bruizar

Gut Shot isn't a bad card per se, it's just that there are too many relevant creatures at >1 toughness AND the fact that there aren't many 1 toughness creatures you want to answer on the draw. If, hypothetically, Goblin Lackey would have haste, then Gut Shot would be a fine sideboard card. I believe that Gut Shot's time will come, but it can take many years before a relevant printing puts it in the limelight.

Edit: In response to those comparing it to Forked Bolt.

Forked bolt is a different type of card. Maybe Forked Bolt is better right now, but it is not really all that comparable. Forked Bolt tries to 2 for 1 you. People will generally try to hold the forked bolt back in an attempt to 2 for 1 you if you play a 1 toughness creature; so it's much more defensive/reactive. Gut Shot tries to maintain tempo (For example, by casting a turn 1 Delver and killing a Noble Hierarch) or by circumventing Daze. Also, see Extirpate and Surgical Extraction.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I would think the whole point of running Gut Shot is that you aren't playing Red and so you get access to the effect off-color.

I would really hope an actual burn spell would be better.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Dismember is better at killing Creatures off colour, if you are on colour practically everything else is better.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Dismember is better at killing Creatures off colour, if you are on colour practically everything else is better.
    Paying and 4 life is quite often worse than paying 2 life to kill an unflipped Delver, Pyromancer, etc.

I think it's a decent SB card in the current warped meta. If you actually run red, there are better options, though.

Thread Information